Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 An idea for advancing the realms timeline
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  13:12:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia
I do suggest we get George or someone on there for older Realmslore knowledge...

With my time constraints, someone like Faraer (as Sage suggested) would be a better candidate.

Anyone got any ideas re a delivery system? Do I (we) just post a topic called "Current Clack: X"?

-- George Krashos

A good question George. Arivia, Dargoth...do you have any thoughts on this? Perhaps each scribe should just have their own personal scroll...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  14:15:49  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:
I do suggest we get George or someone on there for older Realmslore knowledge...

With my time constraints, someone like Faraer (as Sage suggested) would be a better candidate.

Anyone got any ideas re a delivery system? Do I (we) just post a topic called "Current Clack: X"?

-- George Krashos

A good question George. Arivia, Dargoth...do you have any thoughts on this? Perhaps each scribe should just have their own personal scroll...

Yeah someone will have to compile all the regions and send them to Alaundo for hosting as a single document

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  14:59:09  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about deadlines? How will they need to be set to keep the timelines current? By this I mean would we want the regions to be posted within the same real world timeframe (say bi monthly as Dargoth stated or whatever everyone thinks is feasible) and pertaining to the same "realms timeframe"?

So what is the target deadline and focus month for the first work?

And do we start "in media res" with current realms time? (Going by the 2:1 system we are in the 3rd month [Ches] of 1373 right?) Or do we need to backtrack to the start of the year?

Just My Thoughts
Chyron :)

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  18:03:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle

Arivia:

Shall we split the Underdark by regions? I agree about leaving the Northdark - that is in high demand by writers and player campaigns.

I can't do the Deep Wastes effectively as I don't have CotSQ and the you should definitely do the Buried Realms, to tie in with Anauroch. I am most interested in the the unnamed area between Deep Shanatar and the Northdark, which I have detailed in my own campaigns before. Out of the other regions I would most like Deep Shanatar and the Earthroot, however it is ultimately up to you as you bagged the Underdark first!

Sorry, but I think I'll need the Earthroot for a few things up above. Deep Shanatar and the region between it in the Northdark are fine. Still not having any clue what's to appear in the Shining South, I'll append Bhaerynden to the untouched list-would you be interested in the Glimmersea or the Darklands?

quote:

Yeah someone will have to compile all the regions and send them to Alaundo for hosting as a single document

I can do that.

quote:

Probably for the best. I'll likely have two, though-one for the pieces on the North, and one for the East-and we may wish to use one for our planar work, Sage.

quote:

How about deadlines? How will they need to be set to keep the timelines current? By this I mean would we want the regions to be posted within the same real world timeframe (say bi monthly as Dargoth stated or whatever everyone thinks is feasible) and pertaining to the same "realms timeframe"?

So what is the target deadline and focus month for the first work?

And do we start "in media res" with current realms time? (Going by the 2:1 system we are in the 3rd month [Ches] of 1373 right?) Or do we need to backtrack to the start of the year?

Well, according to Wizards' website, it's the 22nd of Mirtul, 1373. I'd say the first works on Mirtul could perhaps be presented by the end of June(the earlier the better)?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  19:33:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I to would like to know what month we are starting on... :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Sarelle
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
508 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  21:40:34  Show Profile Send Sarelle a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]
Sorry, but I think I'll need the Earthroot for a few things up above. Deep Shanatar and the region between it in the Northdark are fine. Still not having any clue what's to appear in the Shining South, I'll append Bhaerynden to the untouched list-would you be interested in the Glimmersea or the Darklands?

That's fair. I'd forgotten about Thay, sorry.

Okay so if I take Shanatar, the area between Shanatar and the Northdark (including the Netherese Caverns and Sshamath), and the Glimmersea? You get the Buried Realms, the Deep Wastes and the Earthroot; and we share the Darklands (it being so big)? When Shining South comes out we can divide the Darklands and Great Bhaerynden?

Chair of the The Rightful Return of Monster Deities to FR Society (RRMDFRS)

My character, drawn by Liodain: Sarelle / Sarelle (smaller)

Edited by - Sarelle on 24 May 2004 21:42:44
Go to Top of Page

SoulLord
Seeker

Mexico
62 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  22:34:32  Show Profile  Visit SoulLord's Homepage Send SoulLord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may volunteer for a small section of the realmslore i would like to offer my assistance regarding the city of nathleckh in the shining plains.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  22:43:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

I've not got a problem with doing that... It'll make it easier for purposes of editing the grammar and spelling, as well.

quote:

Perhaps each scribe should just have their own personal scroll...

I dunno, I'm thinking we should prolly all use one communal scroll. Thinks I that that would be easier on everyone.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  22:54:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarelle
That's fair. I'd forgotten about Thay, sorry.

Okay so if I take Shanatar, the area between Shanatar and the Northdark (including the Netherese Caverns and Sshamath), and the Glimmersea? You get the Buried Realms, the Deep Wastes and the Earthroot; and we share the Darklands (it being so big)? When Shining South comes out we can divide the Darklands and Great Bhaerynden?

Yep, that's fine.

quote:

If I may volunteer for a small section of the realmslore i would like to offer my assistance regarding the city of nathleckh in the shining plains.

No problem-you're in.
Go to Top of Page

Mage Jastra Eveningfall
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2004 :  23:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Mage Jastra Eveningfall's Homepage Send Mage Jastra Eveningfall a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with the no realms-shattering events.

I would also be interested in contributing. My best areas are magic, elves, and dragons.

Mage Jastra Eveningfall
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  01:42:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mage Jastra Eveningfall

I agree with the no realms-shattering events.

I would also be interested in contributing. My best areas are magic, elves, and dragons.

Is there a geographical area you were interested in working in?
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  03:03:27  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I to would like to know what month we are starting on... :)

I suggest we start at the begining of of the Year of Rogue Dragons (1374)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  03:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wouldn't we then be jumping the gun? We're trying to stay close to Wizards' timeline, and the Waterdhavian Weather is currently progressing through Mirtul of 1373.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  03:44:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Wouldn't we then be jumping the gun? We're trying to stay close to Wizards' timeline, and the Waterdhavian Weather is currently progressing through Mirtul of 1373.

ummm no The Rage and Venoms taste both kicked off in 1374

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Venom's Taste only uses a month/day listing-there's no indicator that it takes place in 1374. Secondly, 1373 is the Year of Rogue Dragons-1374 is the Year of Lightning Storms. Thirdly, the Campaign Journal in the PGtF updates the time to the first of Kythorn, 1373. Most people will be using that, or something similar to that. I believe you're mildly confused-we should be looking at dates in 1373, not 1374.
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:06:00  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just for reference...

Page 166 of PGtF says that the current date of the timeline is starting from Kythorn 1 1373 (the Year of Rogue Dragons).

Pg 170 shows the major events from Novels of The Archwizards series and WoTSQ (which seems to end with the events of Condemnation in Uktar 1972, my guess with Extinction out and Annihilation coming next month it will logically advance it further).

Just My Thoughts

Edited by - Chyron on 25 May 2004 04:11:35
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:08:51  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Venom's Taste only uses a month/day listing-there's no indicator that it takes place in 1374. Secondly, 1373 is the Year of Rogue Dragons-1374 is the Year of Lightning Storms. Thirdly, the Campaign Journal in the PGtF updates the time to the first of Kythorn, 1373. Most people will be using that, or something similar to that. I believe you're mildly confused-we should be looking at dates in 1373, not 1374.

Doh!

Ok start date will be Hammer 1373 (For some reason I though the YORD was 1374)

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's better-although there's still a minor problem. What might happen to those who cover areas from Serpent Kingdoms and Shining South when they are released-as those will already be current to Kythorn, 1373?
Go to Top of Page

Chyron
Learned Scribe

Hong Kong
279 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:28:00  Show Profile  Visit Chyron's Homepage Send Chyron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A few observations to consider…

One the problem here is that we cannot really proceed in a month by month fashion.

Look at the release schedule for The Rage and a few others.

Book 2 comes out in Jan 2005
Book 3 in Jan 2006

WotSQ will wrap up in Jan 2005

Hunter Blades concludes in Oct 2004

With the Rage, ‘If’ the events are happening all within the year 1373, we would certainly have to move slowly or risk ‘fixing things in post’ as it were. That is to say writing things only to find conflicts once the novels come out and having to edit things. The last book is not due for 1 and ½ years.

Let’s say that a writer puts forth that in a given month a scourge of dire rats plagues city X. Then later we learn that a novel puts forth that city X was actually blasted to nothingness 2 weeks before.

WoTSQ may advance the Underdark time more quickly than surface world time. That is to say by the end of Resurrection, the Underdark might be well into 1374, but the surface lands will likely still be waiting to reach that point.

Do we need a checks and balance system to say….ok this vol. 2 of novel X stops here. So we also need to stop here until vol. 3 is released?

Just My Thoughts

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  04:53:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe it's easier then to stick with 1372?.......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  05:32:21  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Regarding SK and SS

If someone picks up those areas and theres a gap then that person can inser there region into an already submited month this what will happan to the novels to.

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  14:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that Kuje's suggestion about starting in DR 1372 is a good one. It allows us to back up just enough to know that no major events will be made by WotC, and will allow the canon timeline in the novels to advance at a pace that will update the canon events as we proceed into DR 1373.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2004 :  14:36:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd have to agree. It also has the benefit of providing some basic background material which we can all use as a starting point...

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2004 :  17:35:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys,

I'm going to have to bail out on this. I have a lot on my plate right now and things are just busy. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  08:18:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry to hear that Kuje . If you ever eat enough so that you free some room up on this "plate" of yours, be sure to let us know...

Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  13:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick question to keep this project moving along:

In our updates for respective regions, would the preference be to list a quick plot thread or adventure hook, and let it dangle without resolution, allowing individual DM's to do whatever they want with it? Or shall we have continuing updates to those threads, moving those plot elements along according to our own personal ideas?

I'm really looking forward to getting started with this.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  14:08:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting question Brother Ezra. I think a selection of both would make the project more interesting. Maybe it should just be an individual choice, giving each and every scribe responsible for their region greater flexibility...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2004 :  15:24:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I concur with the Sage. Some things can be simple throw-aways, with no follow-up, but others will naturally evolve over the span of time. We saw both back when TSR was giving us the Current Clack section, though the singular throw-aways were a lot more prevalent than the plot points that continued.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  22:15:30  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'd have to agree. It also has the benefit of providing some basic background material which we can all use as a starting point...

Has any agreement been made on the year? If it is 1372 I'm willing to lend Chyron a hand on the region he volunteered for since I'm running a game in that region.

btw, this whole thing sounds pretty familiar - FR-list projects ring a bell to anyone?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  08:25:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, it did to me because I participated in several of them .

Anyway, Mumadar, I believe late 1372 to early 1373 DR would seem to be the most appropriate start date. What's everyone elses take on this?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000