Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nations of the Forgotten Reams 1371-72 DR (Maps)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2022 :  17:33:42  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
NARFELL

I've also updated the Orlumbor & Mintarn map. Thanks for that!
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2022 :  09:39:55  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's such an absurdly large Enclave.. assuming that the crash spread it out and it was originally less broad, that's still easily 25 by 25 Mystryl-damned miles of rock to host a city on. Removing that from a mountain range, you'd think it'd leave a mark eh?

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2022 :  11:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Sea Haven of Nimbral.

Edited by - Werthead on 13 Oct 2022 11:36:07
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2022 :  02:41:16  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sure does look like a great place to land a spelljammer.
"The beautiful spaceport was located on a beach lined with hundreds of docks on the northern shore of Rauthaven in southeast Nimbral." -wiki

I can't think of many grand beaches on Faerun outside of the Sea of Fallen Stars and the shores of The Shining Sea. Cliffs, swamps- perhaps Cape Velen?

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 15 Oct 2022 :  20:43:43  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rashemen.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2022 :  22:05:47  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Samarach, Tashalar & Thindol.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  03:00:03  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What on earth are those ruins I spy on the snout of omgar I wonder. I can just imagine a Tortle leading an expedition team up some crazy seaside cliff with a whole quarter square-mile city square of white marble with structures still identifiable as tables and home foundations. The tortles have no clue who they were, and you would have never known this ruin was here even if you flew above the little enclave.

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  11:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

What on earth are those ruins I spy on the snout of omgar I wonder. I can just imagine a Tortle leading an expedition team up some crazy seaside cliff with a whole quarter square-mile city square of white marble with structures still identifiable as tables and home foundations. The tortles have no clue who they were, and you would have never known this ruin was here even if you flew above the little enclave.

It's one of the ruins from Storm of Zehir, just a random dungeon you can explore for treasure.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  15:20:16  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Sembia, where absolutely none of the source material maps agree with one another on anything. Joyous.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  15:52:35  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When you are finished with your mapping, how open are you to plotting the lesser known and obscure locations mentioned once in a novel or in an article by Ed, etc that might not ever have appeared on a map

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2022 :  21:13:21  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

When you are finished with your mapping, how open are you to plotting the lesser known and obscure locations mentioned once in a novel or in an article by Ed, etc that might not ever have appeared on a map

That's what I'm trying to do as I go along, but in a lot of places there is simply insufficient information to locate somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  06:52:36  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm sure some of the experts here can help you place some of the more obscure locations. Some likely already have a defined location that the rest of us may not know about.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2022 :  13:14:03  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There we go, Sembia.

That was hard work. None of the source maps seemed to really agree with one another, and making the overlap with my map of Cormyr (which had some similar problems) work was tricky. Got there in the end though.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2022 :  18:19:39  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sespech.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2022 :  12:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sossal! This was a fun one because initially it looked like there was almost no information on Sossal at all, but eventually I teased out some decent info from Grand History of the Realms and Dwarves Deep.
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  16:45:27  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent job on these, Werthead. I love the style of your maps. They are simple (I do not mean this as a pejorative!), clear, and informative. I also love the accompanying realm information. So many things I've forgotten or missed in so many random areas of the map.

Thank you!

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2022 :  19:01:34  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking forward to The Border Kingdom's map...no rush.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 23 Oct 2022 19:01:58
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2022 :  17:50:38  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tethyr.

That was a tough one, lots of different information to comb through there.
Go to Top of Page

vythvutha
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2022 :  19:10:30  Show Profile Send vythvutha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is exhaustive and really incredible stuff. What do you use to make the maps?
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  16:20:04  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thay.

quote:
This is exhaustive and really incredible stuff. What do you use to make the maps?

Nothing too special. I use the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas to create the base area that needs to mapped and then Paint-Net to create a new image over the top (since you can't just reprint the FRIA maps since 1) copyright and 2) accuracy), and then create a new map using newer locations from 3E/4E/5E (but only if they existed in the right time frame) and then spend some time going through old sourcebooks and the FR Wiki and even maps from the novels to make sure every location is noted down. I daresay I missed a few along the way, but it's pretty easy to go back and update them.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2022 :  19:16:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you really cranking these out that quickly, or have you been working on these for a while and now you're sharing?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2022 :  00:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Are you really cranking these out that quickly, or have you been working on these for a while and now you're sharing?

Making a single map takes about an afternoon. Assembling the required lore is usually faster as I have a mixture of home resources (home-made timelines and guides from campaigns) and almost every FR sourcebook ever published. It's mostly knowing where to look for info and how to assemble it in a cogent manner.

Oddly, it's the really well-covered areas which are the toughest to create because there's been so much coverage of them and the maps and the lore don't always all add up and sometimes flatly contradict one another. That was a huge problem with Cormyr, Sembia, Calimshan and Tethyr in particular. An article for somewhere like Sossal, with no real changes to the map since 1E and only a modest amount of info available, is much easier to create.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2022 :  11:42:37  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thesk!

Almost finished (5 more to go, I think).
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2022 :  19:06:51  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I trust the alphabetical order used, there is no specific map for Anauroch (the Great Desert) or Pelvuria (the Great Glacier)?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2022 :  14:45:27  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

If I trust the alphabetical order used, there is no specific map for Anauroch (the Great Desert) or Pelvuria (the Great Glacier)?

They're not nations.

They can be seen fairly clearly on my map of all of Faerun.
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
268 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2022 :  20:18:20  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really liked the map on the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Will there be a map on the Underdark?

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2022 :  21:28:58  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Turmish! Vote early, vote often!

quote:
Originally posted by Asharak

I really liked the map on the Sea of Fallen Stars.

Will there be a map on the Underdark?

Maybe. I'll probably be doing a map of Underhome (since we've done two elven nations and one halfling, it's only fair to do at least one dwarven) and I'll see how that turns out.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2022 :  17:02:45  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ulgarth and the Utter East.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2022 :  11:46:13  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Underhome and the Deep Realm.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
173 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2022 :  15:48:19  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unther and Threskel.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000