Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 About Drizzt's Blades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  06:30:48  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, I see a lot of different versions of good ol DD's scimitars: the ones somewhat remsembling the Arabic or Genies and Efreeti's heavy blades which are widely tapered towards the end (depicted in the Candlekeep's homepage and Streams of Silver original cover art), and the all slender blade as depicted in the Hunter's Blade cover arts. I wonder which of them DD really uses.

As he was trained with drow elven weapons, they should probably look drow or elven I would think.

Listen to the silence of the wilds, in there lies the wisdom of ages.

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  06:39:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I would guess that that would be up to each reader (or player for that matter), all of these have been an individual impression of what Drizzt's weapons would look like. None of them are right or wrong. The same goes for what can be called a "drow look".

One thing one can say is that the older weapons are scimitars; the never pictures often depict other types of sword.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  13:57:45  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As he was trained with drow elven weapons, they should probably look drow or elven I would think.

He got the magic blades he uses from adventuring, why would they look like they were of drow, or elven design?
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  15:27:24  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, scimitars by definition, are greater curved blades descended from the turko-mongol saber. Sabers had a slight curve because it was a cutting/slicing blade. Scimitars have an even more defined curve.

If the blade doesn't have a greater curve, its not a scimitar. Some of the newer books seem to depict straight blades. For instance. The swords Drizzt is wielding on the cover of "The two swords". Those would not be considered scimitars. They would barely even qualify as sabers.
The replicas seem the same. They are single edged swords, labelled as scimitars, with not even a curve to the blades

Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  15:43:29  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What type of name for a sword is Twinkle?

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  15:47:17  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An ironic one for a glowing sword.

:-)

Sort of like naming a Pitbull Muffin.

Yes, she's adorable and friendly. But it's pretty big.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  15:56:24  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aravine

A silly one.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  16:02:52  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It drives me crazy that they are so often depicted as a matching set. Icingdeath came from Icingdeath's hoard and Twinkle he got later from one of the Harpells (if I remember correctly).

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  16:33:12  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the fact that the replicas are not even close to a scimitar. The blades are not even curved. They are single edged swords at best.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  16:33:31  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is why the ones you can buy should be different instead of identical...which is why I am not buying them.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Aewrik
Seeker

80 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  17:50:06  Show Profile Send Aewrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I see it, there are fantasy scimitars [1, 2, 3] and real-world shamshirs.

Fantasy scimitars are a blend of shamshirs, kilijs and scimitars, as I see it.
"Evil" scimitars more often look like real-world scimitars.

I think, they should've changed the names of scimitar to shamshir, since shamshir is more or less the family name for curved blades.

If you look at the "new" twinkle, it's more of a straight-edged katana (with a pommel), than a scimitar. [1]

EDIT: added some links for examples.

Edited by - Aewrik on 16 Oct 2007 18:09:10
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  18:05:09  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

quote:

He got the magic blades he uses from adventuring, why would they look like they were of drow, or elven design?

I forgot...its been a while since I read some of the earlier books such as the dark elf trilogy and the Icewind Dale trilogy. I was meaning to say the first weapons Drizzt trained with in his former Underdark home would be drow or elven blades, which were adamantine. Icingdeath and Twinkle would look more like the blades as shown in the Silent Blade, I think.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  22:40:40  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the url for the exact, officially approved by R. A. Salvatore versions: http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=twinkle. I'm not endorsing the items, just answering the question of what they look like.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  22:59:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

This is the url for the exact, officially approved by R. A. Salvatore versions: http://www.museumreplicas.com/museumreplicas/SearchResult.aspx?KeyWords=twinkle. I'm not endorsing the items, just answering the question of what they look like.

That is pretty cool. If I had way to much money, I would spend it all on books, swords, and computer hardware/games.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2007 :  23:29:54  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those are nothing like a scimitar. They are single edged swords.

Scimitars by definition, should have a curve greater than that of the average Saber or Japanese Katana. Like this.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:WKjfSzPt_a5KoM:http://neoreviews.aappublications.org/case12/scimitar-pict.jpg

If those swords were officially approved, then they should be sued for false advertising since it is physically impossible to call those blades scimitars.
Go to Top of Page

IronHammer
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  00:56:31  Show Profile  Visit IronHammer's Homepage Send IronHammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Those dipicited as of late are not even close to a historical scimitar.

I remember playing Dwarves and Elves as a character class...
Go to Top of Page

Ranin
Seeker

88 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  06:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Ranin's Homepage Send Ranin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This can't be right...those look like pumpkin carving knives.

Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  06:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would say that those look more like over long, skinny cutlasses. Even if we were going to say that an elven scimitar has a narrower blade, I would think that the curve would still be very pronounced. But I quibble.
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  15:21:54  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not quibbling. A scimitar is defined as THE most curved of curved blades. The minimum curve on a blade in order to be considered a scimitar has to start greater than that of a Japanese Katana and become even more curved as they go. Those blades are completely straight, except for the top edging, which barely cyurves at all.

Anyone who buys those blades thinking they are Drizzt's scimitars are being ripped off. For that mater, Drizzt's blades are not supposed to look identical in any respect.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  17:35:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's why I've never even considered buying those swords. They are certainly pretty, but as Firestorm points out, they're not supposed to look alike, and they don't look anything like a scimitar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

l33td0ggy
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  18:02:59  Show Profile  Visit l33td0ggy's Homepage Send l33td0ggy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
if i was an auther and someone wanted to make wepons based on one of my charaters, i'd make sure the wepon matched what the charater used. i wouldn't endorse it if it didn't.

i have no sig.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:30:29  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

quote:
Originally posted by aravine

A silly one.

Agreed.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 17 Oct 2007 :  19:42:03  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's why I've never even considered buying those swords. They are certainly pretty, but as Firestorm points out, they're not supposed to look alike, and they don't look anything like a scimitar.

I did wonder why they were identical. Also, why do they have drow script on them? They weren't (at least to the best of my knowledge) made in the Underdark.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Galuf the Dwarf
Senior Scribe

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2024 :  01:28:37  Show Profile Send Galuf the Dwarf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xysma

It drives me crazy that they are so often depicted as a matching set. Icingdeath came from Icingdeath's hoard and Twinkle he got later from one of the Harpells (if I remember correctly).

Malchor Harpell, from around the beginning of The Halfling's Gem.

Galuf's Baldur's Gate NPC stats: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8823
Galuf's 3.5 Ed. Cleric Domains: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14036
Galuf's Homebrew 4th Edition Races: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13787
Galuf's Homebrew Specialty Priest PrCs: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14353
Galuf's Forgotten Realms Heralds and Allies thread: forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8766
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2421 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2024 :  07:22:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Uh, look at the dates. The thread was necromanced up by a spambot.
But on the subject of Icingdeath and Twinkie, here's another illustration, in a somewhat unusual style.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 13 Jun 2024 07:24:29
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

78 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2024 :  07:38:11  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That drives me crazy as well. I imagine that neither looks especially drow-like though. Young Drizzt is in a lot of ways my favorite Drizzt, so I suspect those were a matching pair. I suspect that they are nimbly bimbly either way. Some of the old art is hilarious because they’re those gigantic curved swords which are supposed to look like a more Arabic scimitar but it fails at that really. Those humongous, heavy swords are not at all what I think of when I think of how Drizzt would fight with finesse and speed.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4436 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2024 :  16:58:27  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Giant Snake

That drives me crazy as well. I imagine that neither looks especially drow-like though. Young Drizzt is in a lot of ways my favorite Drizzt, so I suspect those were a matching pair. I suspect that they are nimbly bimbly either way. Some of the old art is hilarious because they’re those gigantic curved swords which are supposed to look like a more Arabic scimitar but it fails at that really. Those humongous, heavy swords are not at all what I think of when I think of how Drizzt would fight with finesse and speed.

The time-frame of Drizzt in the Underdark during the Dark Elf Trilogy, yeah the scimitars should've had an elven/drow look and paring. Once he ditched them (due to them becoming brittle being away from the Faerzress aura of power) and obtained Twinkle and Icingdeath, they would almost certainly look differently and not paired - like we saw with Todd Lockwood's art.

As for the heavy Arabic style featured in the earlier art, those weapons really aren't that heavy. They probably weight between 0.8 and 1.0 kg or approximately 2 lbs. Also, you want a slightly top-heavier weapon for deep slashing strikes that will help generate more kinetic force.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11808 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2024 :  23:34:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:
Originally posted by Galuf the Dwarf

Uh, look at the dates. The thread was necromanced up by a spambot.
But on the subject of Icingdeath and Twinkie, here's another illustration, in a somewhat unusual style.

That drawing is wrong... Icingdeath is strawberry flavored.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

78 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2024 :  10:29:05  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean look differently like in not having the same glow or shine to them, I presume? Not that they suddenly change shape or something.

As for the drawing, honestly the kawaii Drizzt is something I didn’t expect to see, but I’m for it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000