Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Nations of the Forgotten Reams 1371-72 DR (Maps)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2022 :  19:13:19  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Island Kingdoms of the Northern Trackless Sea: Gundarlun, Ruathym, Trisk and Tuern.
Go to Top of Page

TaeghenAmalith
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2022 :  11:55:43  Show Profile Send TaeghenAmalith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to find a way to easy transform your maps in a more eye candy version but it takes a loooong time. Just in case do you agree with this editing be published for free?
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2022 :  15:54:19  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HALRUAA!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2022 :  14:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
HARTSVALE!

Small and relatively obscure, not to mention possibly the map I had to improvise the most with (as the original maps of the region, the maps in Giantcraft and the maps in the Twilight Giants trilogy don't really gel together very well).

Edited by - Werthead on 16 Sep 2022 14:44:33
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2022 :  03:50:50  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

HARTSVALE!

Small and relatively obscure, not to mention possibly the map I had to improvise the most with (as the original maps of the region, the maps in Giantcraft and the maps in the Twilight Giants trilogy don't really gel together very well).

Hartsvale is a tricky thing indeed. If you incorporate it incorrectly, it pushes the entire sword coast southward and you end up with that dndcombat toril map where Novularond is north of the spine of the world in alignment. Seeing Novularond line up with the silver marches, the evermoors, and Mt Hotentow is just so satisfying. Thanks for the maps!

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

https://thisisstorytelling.wordpress.com

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2022 :  14:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hartsvale is a tricky thing indeed. If you incorporate it incorrectly, it pushes the entire sword coast southward and you end up with that dndcombat toril map where Novularond is north of the spine of the world in alignment. Seeing Novularond line up with the silver marches, the evermoors, and Mt Hotentow is just so satisfying. Thanks for the maps!

Ah, Handsome Rob's map. A fine map, but based on 3E so ergo using the flawed layout of Faerun from that edition, and I think his version of Hartsvale looks quite a bit bigger than it should.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  14:06:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great maps! Keep them coming! Please...

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 19 Sep 2022 14:06:30
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  15:24:27  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IMPILTUR!

This was a lot of fun, teasing out various information from various resources.

Onto Lantan, which is the first major "there really is almost no available lore on this place," problem I'm finding.

Edited by - Werthead on 19 Sep 2022 17:44:14
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  23:12:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

IMPILTUR!

This was a lot of fun, teasing out various information from various resources.

Onto Lantan, which is the first major "there really is almost no available lore on this place," problem I'm finding.

There was a Portals of Lantan series as part of the Perilous Gateways articles.

You should be able to get to them from the below link, if you don't already have them handy.

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Perilous_Gateways

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2022 :  23:14:46  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I've found those. Not a huge amount of data but some interesting things there I can tie in.

Anyone know where "Myth Iiscar" came from? It's on the map of Lantan in the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas but I can't find any other mention of it.

ETA: Ah, found it. It's a nonelven mythal of unknown origin that's just hanging around and nobody knows anything about it. Excellent!

Edited by - Werthead on 20 Sep 2022 00:20:39
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2022 :  02:49:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, I've found those. Not a huge amount of data but some interesting things there I can tie in.

Anyone know where "Myth Iiscar" came from? It's on the map of Lantan in the Forgotten Realms Interactive Atlas but I can't find any other mention of it.

ETA: Ah, found it. It's a nonelven mythal of unknown origin that's just hanging around and nobody knows anything about it. Excellent!

Magic of Faerûn, page 47:

"Myth Iiscar: Little is known about this mythal city except that it was built on the isle of Lantan, allowed its inhabitants to fly, and was destroyed at some point. The Lantanese don’t reveal any hints about its location, so they either don’t know or are good at keeping secrets."

Page 45 of Lost Empires of Faerûn says

"Mythals such as those at Shoonach’s Imperial Mount, Myth Iiscar, and Myth Lharast have also been crafted by non-elves using epic spells."

Maybe it's just me, but those two sources seem to contradict each other. The first doesn't state but strongly implies that the location of Myth Iiscar is unknown, while the second gives a pretty definitive fact that seems unlikely to be known without also knowing the location.

Looking at the maps of Lantan, I'd locate Myth Iiscar on the west side of the main island, where that large bay is. You've got mountains right there -- reason for flight! -- and it's kinda odd that such a large protected bay, on an island, wouldn't have a city.

Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2022 :  02:54:02  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

When every mystery has been answered (I'm looking at you, unicorn.) there will be no shadows left unexposed to the light... save for a long list of "I left some stuff unexplained for DMs to make up something" locations.

:The world's greatest OOTA fan/critic: :"Powder kegs within powder kegs!": :Meta-Dimensional Cheese: :Why is the Wand of Orcus just back?: :We still don't know the nature of Souls and the Positive Energy Plane: :PC on profile, Aldritch Elpyptrat Maxinfield: :Helljumpers, Bungie.net: :Rock Hard Gladiator, RIP Fluidanim, Long Live Pluto: :IRC lives:

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2022 :  12:09:13  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Magic of Faerûn, page 47:

"Myth Iiscar: Little is known about this mythal city except that it was built on the isle of Lantan, allowed its inhabitants to fly, and was destroyed at some point. The Lantanese don’t reveal any hints about its location, so they either don’t know or are good at keeping secrets."

Page 45 of Lost Empires of Faerûn says

"Mythals such as those at Shoonach’s Imperial Mount, Myth Iiscar, and Myth Lharast have also been crafted by non-elves using epic spells."

Maybe it's just me, but those two sources seem to contradict each other. The first doesn't state but strongly implies that the location of Myth Iiscar is unknown, while the second gives a pretty definitive fact that seems unlikely to be known without also knowing the location.

Looking at the maps of Lantan, I'd locate Myth Iiscar on the west side of the main island, where that large bay is. You've got mountains right there -- reason for flight! -- and it's kinda odd that such a large protected bay, on an island, wouldn't have a city.

The FRIA places it in the north-central area of the main island.

Intriguingly, the FRIA was created in 1997-99, whilst the two sourcebooks it is mentioned in both came out quite a few years later, so clearly it was already in the extra pile of Realmslore they were given (fun and random coincidence: my friend's brother co-ran the company that produced the FRIA).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2022 :  23:15:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The FRIA places it in the north-central area of the main island.

Intriguingly, the FRIA was created in 1997-99, whilst the two sourcebooks it is mentioned in both came out quite a few years later, so clearly it was already in the extra pile of Realmslore they were given (fun and random coincidence: my friend's brother co-ran the company that produced the FRIA).

I was looking at the online maps, and I was thinking about where the FRIA shows Lethtar. I didn't even think about the FRIA; I had it installed, but I had to poke around on my NAS to find the updates, just now -- Myth Iiscar wasn't on the non-updated version. (Thank Lurue that I remain a digital packrat! Used to be a packrat IRL, too, but I've been working on that, and the fire helped)

I got my copies of the FRIA and the Dragon Magazine Archive for half-price, when the TSR Mail Order Hobby Shop was dumping them. I truly believe that both programs were ahead of their time. Not in terms of what they did or how they did it; I think the software was ready for a market that wasn't there yet. I think if they'd waited until 2000ish, maybe a few years later, there would have been more of a market and the software would have sold much better.

Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2022 :  13:17:11  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LANTAN! Home of the sentient wombat.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2022 :  12:30:37  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to the Lapal League and Tharsult, great powers of the Shining Sea about which relatively little has been written.

This map required a judgement call, since the shape and outline of Tharsult was even more significantly changed between the 2E and 3E maps than the changes seen elsewhere. After some deliberation, and the fact that every other 5E map we've seen has reverted to the 2E configuration of Faerun, I decided to follow suit and revert Tharsult to its appearance in the 1E/2E maps rather than the 3E ones.

Edited by - Werthead on 24 Sep 2022 12:30:55
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2022 :  18:00:56  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luiren! Land of the Halflings, Realm of Excellent Cheese.

This also marks the halfway point of the exercise. 19 to go!

Edited by - Werthead on 25 Sep 2022 18:04:44
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2022 :  20:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Luruar, home of Mithral Hall, Silverymoon and that weird miles-wide fungus in the Underdark.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2022 :  20:33:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Luruar, home of Mithral Hall, Silverymoon and that weird miles-wide fungus in the Underdark.

One of my favorite regions! (And part of why my personal Realms stays in the 1370s era)

Go to Top of Page

Zeromaru X
Great Reader

Colombia
2442 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2022 :  23:28:26  Show Profile Send Zeromaru X a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Likewise. And one of the reasons my Realms deviate from 5e lore.

Instead of seeking change, you prefer a void, merciless abyss of a world...
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2022 :  12:54:17  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mintarn & Orlumbor.

Not a lot of info here, so had to dig deep.
Go to Top of Page

PattPlays
Senior Scribe

469 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2022 :  02:35:32  Show Profile  Visit PattPlays's Homepage Send PattPlays a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The sword coast is so mysterious. An artificial coastline sheared clean off, and flat fields that were supposedly the largest mountain ranges in Faerun and Sharn Phaerimm wars 'wore down the peaks' here.

So weird to imagine living on the 'coast' in a past time where it would have been far inland- or completely covered in rocks scraping the sky. And now it's just water and flat land...

T_P_T
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2022 :  19:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PattPlays

The sword coast is so mysterious. An artificial coastline sheared clean off, and flat fields that were supposedly the largest mountain ranges in Faerun and Sharn Phaerimm wars 'wore down the peaks' here.

So weird to imagine living on the 'coast' in a past time where it would have been far inland- or completely covered in rocks scraping the sky. And now it's just water and flat land...

If you look at the pre-Sundering maps of Faerun, when it was Merrouroboros, you can see how the coastlines dramatically changed. Although ironically that particular area is shown as not actually being that different (with the Sword Coast still being the coast, but of the "Black Sea" before Maztica and Katashaka were sheared off to form the Trackless Sea).
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2022 :  21:59:22  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next up is Moonshae which ended up being far more detailed and time-consuming than originally planned. Huge amount of detail to fit on there.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2022 :  20:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MOONSHAE!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2022 :  18:58:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, many thanks for these lovely maps.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2022 :  23:36:36  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
MULHORAND
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2022 :  18:36:29  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Murghôm & Semphar.

This was a fun one. I didn't think there was too much lore on these lands but some reading and research revealed a fair bit more than I initially expected.
Go to Top of Page

Bracho Bugental
Acolyte

Poland
6 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2022 :  10:44:56  Show Profile Send Bracho Bugental a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Mintarn & Orlumbor.

Not a lot of info here, so had to dig deep.

There was, and maybe c. 1371 still is, a halfling settlement on Orlumbor: in 310 DR (Year of the Amber Hulk) "The halfling community of Marrduin on the island of Orlumbor is decimated by a six-legged horror from the Lower Planes named Gorathil." (Brian R. James, Grand History of the Realms: The Moonshaes, Dragon 362 - web.archive.org).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2022 :  11:29:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to say these are some beautiful, well-done maps, and I'm saving every single one of them to their own dedicated folder in my gaming drive.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5  Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000