Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 The Five NPCs You Meet In Waterdeep
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 25

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  16:23:00  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love your work, AJA.

I still remember your YAFRP from 20-odd years ago.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  21:13:52  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Alvhast "Goldenrobes"
The Mage Most Magisterial of Mintarn. At least he was until 1372DR, when he was rudely grabbed through a high window of the Moonlight-Pale Tower by "a horrid searching tentacle" spotted with either many tiny sucking maws or many horrific razor-sharp tines and pulled into the night, never to be seen again. His replacement, the Ruathymaar sorcerer Gnarlûf (NAR-loof), was quick to order all sea-ward facing windows of the tower bricked and barricaded thereafter.

Alvhast's time spent in kraken shape seducing a female kraken for information on his family's wrecked ship was perhaps NOT the best way to go about trying to recover that staff.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  21:18:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Love your work, AJA.

I've got a lot of those pages saved as Word docs and scattered around various hard drives, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2020 :  21:43:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Duerthla Drathwinter
(Doo-EARTH-la) Proprietor of Alustriel's Wondrous Wardrobe (Vondil Street, Sea Ward), a highcoin clothier that claims to sell direct replicas of all the fashions worn by Queen Alustriel of Silverymoon (currently one of the glittering "places to be seen" for social climbers and the upper crust of the city). The Wardrobe features an endless catalogue of tafta and shimmersheen, stomachers and ribbons, rampart (platform) shoes and gemwork gloves, brocaded reticules, opalescent feathers, artificial hairpieces, outlandish scent-bottles and bejewelled hand-fans of all size and decoration – nothing that the Serene Lady of Silverymoon would actually be recognized in, if one were to travel to the court of the Gem of the North, but lavish and expensive enough to convince the average status-minded highcoin matron otherwise.

Noted most recently for starting the trend of "unibands" or headbands with imported al-mi'raj horns attached to metal headbands for holding hair in place. This trend was capitalized upon by a "Handfasting Shop" run by a follower of Sharess, who replaced the expensive al-mi'raj horns with cotton stuffed, skin colored tubes for young women on the drunken debauched night before they make the leap to be handfasted

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2020 :  10:57:03  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Derulbaskul

Love your work, AJA.

I've got a lot of those pages saved as Word docs and scattered around various hard drives, myself.

Same here - I have started updating my Google doc with the existing Waterdeep NPCs with the new or modified entries. I look forward to every update on this thread.

And as I went through the document, I picked up some new ideas for my Realms, and that, in turn, raised a question concerning the Knights Errant from YAFRP. Several of the entries for the Knights Errant refer to “the elven rogue Vesper”. I looked all over the place (including google) but could not find anything on such an elven rogue. I assume it was an NPC of your creationm AJA. Would you have anything to share on this character?
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  00:00:24  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Oh my, who knew we had so many scribes of impeccable taste wandering these halls? I appreciate your words, one and all, it's always nice to hear that someone can make use of these scribblings.
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramanth
And as I went through the document, I picked up some new ideas for my Realms, and that, in turn, raised a question concerning the Knights Errant from YAFRP. Several of the entries for the Knights Errant refer to “the elven rogue Vesper”. I looked all over the place (including google) but could not find anything on such an elven rogue. I assume it was an NPC of your creationm AJA. Would you have anything to share on this character?

So, the Knights Errant were less NPCs than the vessel which I used to explore the Realms – and Waterdeep – around them (if that makes any sense). Vesper was the "black sheep" of the group whose possession by a sword of malign intelligence caused the group to split up and go their separate ways. I've skipped alot of the long(er) Knights entries in this thread in an effort to keep things as useable – and accessible – to as many people as possible (and nobody wants "read my solo fanfic"; admit it, as soon as I got to "Vesper was...." your eyes started glazing over ), but I've considered doing a sort of "addendum" to the thread, at the end, for the more out-there (in a canon sense) entries, and he/they may end up there.

Also, speaking of addendums;

I: PRONUNCIATION ADDENDUM: Dromur Pellgentle
DRO-murr ('dro' as in 'drove,' 'murr' as in 'murmur'), although south of Tethyr they draw it out as DRO-myrrh (like the aromatic); in the Dalelands it would be Dro-MOOR, although no one there would go by that or name their children such, not since the days of the rapacious, reviled Zhentilar commander Dromur the Bloody (aka "Dromur of the Dancing Horses," a rather bleak poetic description for his great and enthusiastic love of drawing and quartering captured enemies and random Dalesfolk).

And while we're on the subject, Duerthla (Doo-EARTH-la) is pronounced (Doo-OERTH-la) across the Flanaess, (Doo-URTH-la) in the Matachin Tower of the Torturers, (Doo-YRTH-la) under GURPS rules, and (Doo-'oo-OI!'-la) when in the company of Pikel Bouldershoulder.

II: APOLOGIES-IN-ADVANCE ADDENDUM: Amauldra Wild-Foot
Amauldra Wild-Foot is sometimes said to have a sister, Weylaudra Goofy-Foot, who rides atop an enchanted shield which glides about over the surface of Faerûn. Weylaudra is particularly adept at using this oblong targe to maneuver through the confined spaces of cities and castles, especially down railings, balustrades, grand staircases, and public fountains. She is fond of the oaths by Skerrit's gnarly roots! and absolutely avuncular!

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 23 Apr 2020 00:03:13
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2020 :  14:32:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
II: APOLOGIES-IN-ADVANCE ADDENDUM: Amauldra Wild-Foot
Amauldra Wild-Foot is sometimes said to have a sister, Weylaudra Goofy-Foot, who rides atop an enchanted shield which glides about over the surface of Faerûn. Weylaudra is particularly adept at using this oblong targe to maneuver through the confined spaces of cities and castles, especially down railings, balustrades, grand staircases, and public fountains. She is fond of the oaths by Skerrit's gnarly roots! and absolutely avuncular!

I heard the Weylaudra Goofy-Foot got her name because of the shoes with soles made of meteoric iron that she wears, and its tendency to attract small metal bits to it as she flies. Its said that these special shoes are how she "sticks" to the targe as though she had some sort of spider climb enchantment.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  00:27:28  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas
Noted most recently for starting the trend of "unibands" or headbands with imported al-mi'raj horns attached to metal headbands for holding hair in place. This trend was capitalized upon by a "Handfasting Shop" run by a follower of Sharess, who replaced the expensive al-mi'raj horns with cotton stuffed, skin colored tubes for young women on the drunken debauched night before they make the leap to be handfasted

Really like this, good "local color." Though if the bridal party wears phallic imagery, I'm somewhat afraid to ask what the groom equivalent is . Also, fashion week in Waterdeep!

quote:
Originally posted by the Marpenoth 1371DR edition of The North Wind broadsheet

Hiss-Hands and Scaleshear
The latest fashion swirlcloak in the highcoin circles of the city are so-called "hiss-hands" – ladies get their nails and fingers and the backs of their hands done up in vibrant mimicry of scales and serpentry, all emerald and ruby and gold. One finger receives special enchantment to form a little darting snake-tongue and hissing noise when pointed and wagged (at unwelcome advance or after a particularly pointed verbal barb, one presumes).

Naturally, this has led to a resurgence of the "scaleshear" fashions from some two decades ago, when all the fashionable sorts wore clothes of great shimmering overlapping scale and high collars and headwear in the form of arching cobra-like hoods (Lady Admarilda Gost's raven hair coiffed up into a cowl and pinned with two magnificent fist-sized ruby "eyes" and enchanted to sway about at the Helmsfast Ball that year remains a sartorial highlight).

Plunder the hoary depths of your aunts closets accordingly.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2020 :  00:32:38  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Enguth Orhlaern (LG HM SP12 of Oghma)
Master of Keys and Quills at the Font of Knowledge. Enguth is a very intelligent, very perceptive man of receeding grey hair, warm brown eyes, and large muttonchop sideburns. He has a great love of theatre and acting, and scored a number of accolades for his own performances during his youth. He is also the owner of The Quaggoth Club, a Sea Ward social club catering to actors, sages, musicians, and senior students at the college of New Olamn.

Enobur Erthidrannus
The Sage Royal of Ruathym. Keeper of the Secrets of Wind and Wave and the Lore of Salt and Tide, as well as the ancient enchantments that make Ruathymaar oars sweep faster, their senses ring truer and their blood run colder. Responsible for passing such mystagogy on to the drum-shamans of each longship. Maintains a better relationship with the First Axe than most of his predecessors. Ranks high in the Kraken Society, has begun initiating many of the drum-shamans into the cult. [ Source: "Elminster's Everwinking Eye: Dapplegate and Derlusk," Ed Greenwood, Polyhedron Magazine #117, p.19. Name/Title given. Additional detail by me. ]

Enthault Zrymn
A South Ward sage of dubious provenance. Snow-white hair, bluish-gray eyes. Sinewy, almost skeletal physique. Theorizes on a relationship between the Art and color, that relate other phenomena to magic; for example, colors to specific effects, colors to specific schools, and physical taste (bitter, sweet, sour, etc.) to consonance and dissonance, that "illustrate the irrational and ineffable aspects of magic." He owns a glassteel jar of chartreuse Chultan marsh-mud from which intermittent burps of sulfurous gas erupt and occasional swirls and eddies can be seen, as if something writhes within (it also turns a faintly luminescent lavender on nights of the full moon). He fully desires to add the contents of the jar to his studies, but is afraid to open it, lest the enchantment be lost, or something fell be unleashed from within.

Ephialtemm "Spell-Skulls"
An infamous Thayan freestave. Took advantage of the chaos during the Mis-Rule of the Lords Magister to publicly defame and call out many of the citys' resident Workers-of-Art, and then slay them in spell duel and claim their accumulated wealth. Met a rather inglorious end in The Hale Havarast tankard house, knifed by a common street rogue. The bulk of his (rumored) riches is stil unaccounted for, even after several of his red-robed "kin" arrived from the East to plunder his Castle Ward abode.

Estrar Thongolyr
An armar (sergeant) of the City Watch, Trades Ward. Estrar's forefathers divorced themselves from the noble house Thongolir (and resumed the ancient Chondathan spelling of the family name) in disgust at house members interbreeding with dragonkind. Since that time they have served faithfully in the watch and guard of the city, and regard their noble cousins as weak and debased. [ Source: Waterdeep News: Nobles Demand Halt to Sale of Paintings <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20060510a>. Name/Occupation given. Additional detail by me. ]

==================================================

Erellar Moonstar (See "The Ghost Knight" entry for more information) [ Source: Ruins of Undermountain: Undermountain Adventures, p.3-4. Name/Description given ]

Eremoes Hawkwinter (HM F15) [ Source: "The Eye of the Dragon," Ed Greenwood, Realms of Magic and The City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel and City of Splendors: Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.15. Name/Description/Stats given ]

Evranseea Arklingstride [ Source: A 02/19/11 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by The Hooded One. Name/Description given ]

The Eyes of the Evening [ Source: Powers & Pantheons, p. 164. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 13 Jul 2021 00:14:37
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  02:20:25  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ammardoun Brost (LG HM Aris6)
Dwarf-Friend, Gold-Bold. A former delver (as "Gold-Bold Brost") and later envoy (ambassador) to Mirabar. He was an influential figure in the talks that led to the formation of the Luruar Confederacy. Lost much of his sight, his left arm, and his two children in an assassination attempt when the workbooks the children were studying erupted in explosive runes. Although never proven most suspect that agents of Luskan, in league with certain highborn elements, were behind the attack. Currently serving as a Waterdhavian envoy to the Lord's Alliance.

Bluskyr "Muddy Bluss"
[BLUSS-keer] Dark-tanned, wiry, hardy; a largely disageeable native of the westernmost Moonshaes. Master of the hog-farm of Gatherwood (hard on the dark curtains of the Kryptgarden Forest, north of Westbridge; his steading is better known to neighbors as "Adderwood," due to the strange inflections in his speech). He feuds with the nearby steadmaster of Timbertangle, with whom he shares an oft-argued-over border, and is no friend to passing travelers or caravans stopping at Kettle-and-Cups, the rocky spring and defensible grounds on the trade road just east of his fields. In a clump of poplars on his farm here there is the opening to a small cave, of unusually keen cold and glittering ice crystals. The cave does not lead any further than its' own semi-circular boundries and the reason for the unusual temperature is unknown but seemingly non-malignant; Bluskyr uses it to store perishable goods and to keep the occasional tun of ale good and cold. Clergy of Auril have recently discovered and begun to covet it, which seems an ill-omen for him.

The Company of the Flaming Glow-Worm
Local adventuring fellowship (the founding members of which were told there were already Companies lawfully registered as "of the Worm" and "of the Wyrm," and also "of the Flaming" varieties, although one of those last had not been seen in some three summers since signaling their intention of an expedition to the goblin-held Giant Yarrows; the Company lead then attempted to register their name as "of the Flaming and Glowering Worm," before discovering that she had rapidly run out of space on the official form, after which she just gave her best abbreviation). Led by the sword (and aforementioned penmanship) of the luck-priest Murtharra, before her untimely death somewhere on the second level of the Undermountain; now commanded by the Illuskan warrior Torzald, who insists that everyone address him as "Orcsbane."

Hardby Harbottle
Hin proprietor of Potent Potables, an alchemy-and-wine shop in Dock Ward. His milky eyes bear witness to a childhood wasting disease, but he still manages to navigate through his inventory by touch, and mix compounds by smell. Regarded by those in the know as one of the most capable potion melders in northern Faerûn (while it is true that his attempts at potion miscibility end up with non-poisonous or non-explosive results more often than the norm, his outcomes are far from guaranteed, and he is always on the lookout for stout volunteers to "assist" him). Aided in his store-front business by his three daughters, Asmara, Silvershae and Lauregha.

Kerabran of Soubar
Author of the enduringly popular tragic romance The Last Fading Sunset, which he adapted from (and took great liberties with) the ancient elvish saga Alloth Allareth ae Ithrae Ilundaer (roughly; When Alloth and Ithrae Passed Westward Over the Bright Waves, though a direct translation would be impossible, given the elven language's reliance on implied feelings and racial memories). His follow-up efforts A Moonbeam for Lundevver and In the Harem of the Elf-King were not as well-recieved (with Moonbeam being called "a colorless recreation of his previous masterpiece," and Harem derided as "seeking to be both prurient and prudish, and succeeding at neither"), and he eventually retired to a Deneirrath monastary in Tethyr, spending his last days re-scribing holy works of the faith.

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 01 May 2020 00:52:34
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2020 :  17:15:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA
Ephialtemm "Spell-Skulls"
An infamous Thayan freestave. Took advantage of the chaos during the Mis-Rule of the Lords Magister to publicly defame and call out many of the citys' resident Workers-of-Art, and then slay them in spell duel and claim their accumulated wealth. Met a rather inglorious end in The Hale Havarast tankard house, knifed by a common street rogue. The bulk of his (rumored) riches is stil unaccounted for, even after several of his red-robed "kin" arrived from the East to plunder his Castle Ward abode.

Some say that the common street rogue, a tattooed male miscreant, was seen to leave the tankard house after slicing off Spell-Skull's ring finger and the ring which were worn upon it. The street rogue later turned down an alley and seemingly disappeared into a flash of light as he touched the ring to empty air. Some say that hours later a well dressed female was seen to emerge from the alley after a similar flash of light appeared.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  00:50:15  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Narul Thren (LE HM SP16 of Umberlee)
(Na-ROOL THRENN) A high-ranking, widely feared, peripatetic priest of the goddess Umberlee. Holds the rank of Storm Prelate, roving "holy inquisitor" of the faith. Often called the Undulant Umberlant, for his graceful, sinuous stride and long, flowing, animate robes. Accompanied in his official duties by the elite (and notoriously overzealous) Slashing Tentacles enforcers.

Nathallae Splinderbloom (LN ½EF Abj/P of Lliira)
A member of the Scarlet Mummers, the militant arm of the Lliiran church. Tall and wiry, long-limbed. Brown hair, large expressive grey eyes. High cheekbones, heavy brows, and thin, bloodless lips. She wears The Ardent Eyes of Avaeulf, an ancient Netherese mantle of powerful protective enchantments. The garment gains its' name from the fiery spectral eyes that manifest when its' defenses are invoked.

Naulanjar
(Nawl-ANN-jar) In the old lore of the North, held true and sacred by the Uthgardt and the Ice Hunters and other survivors of the elder days, there is mention of a great hooded crow with backwards human feet, empty, skeletal eyesockets, and the tail of a horse, alternatively fiery or whiplike and razor-sharp. This creature, called Naulanjar (or Keralaskra,"The Feaster-on-Flesh" to the Ice Hunters), is said in tales to be the first companion of The War-God That Was (a sagely catch-all phrase that includes both Tempus and earlier powers of similar portfolio), in the time before horses came to the North, when many of the deities worshiped today still slept in their celestial crèches and the primal totem gods made their terrible dominion over the wilderness. It is said to be able to assume the form of a human or half-elven female of great beauty, or a human-ish creature of indeterminate race and gender, in obvious distress, with long, lustrous black bangs hiding their eyes, and that anyone enthralled to lean in and offer assistance or part those locks and gaze upon that eyeless face discovers only death by immolation or flaying.
        The Eyeless Crow is said to delight in death and carnage, whether caused by itself or others, and so once rode upon the left shoulder of the Wargod, urging him forth into battle and cawing and shrieking in delight, before hopping off to partake of the grisly remains in his wake. It has a particular (and largely unexplained) hatred of fae such as pixies and sprites – and river selkies, who know it on sight and throw blessed juniper berries to drive it off (knowledge given to them by the selkie goddess Surminare, after the Crow snatched and slew several of her helpless kits). The Eyeless Crow is also a great enemy of the Uthgardt and especially their totem god Golden Eagle, from whose weirs Naulanjar is said to eat the salmon out of, for simple spite, catching and ripping far after its' black belly is full, and the ground lies thick with rotting half-eaten fish. Those same barbarians tell tales of how the hero Uthgar once made a yoke of knotted sweetbrier and cold iron links and was ready to add Naulanjar to his collection of mighty beast-pelts, but Naulanjar was forewarned by Oskuethé (OSS-kue-ETH-Ay), a Worm that Walks, which itself rose from the decaying, sun-bloated matter of Naulanjar's killing field, and so escaped unharmed.
        Naulanjar and its aspects have long been adopted by the orcs of The Citadel of Many-Arrows, whose banners and shields often bear the sigil of the backward-footed crow (which they know as Glaukantar, the Battle-Herald, for they see no difference between Tempus and Gruumsh, and companion to one must be companion to both). Those civilized sages who make a study of such things often claim that modern-day sightings of Naulanjar are instead some sort of vrock or similar Hellish horror cloaking itself in ancient folk tales, or perhaps the tattered, phantasmal vestiges of one or more forgotten beast-gods. When told of this, the Uthgardt – and a sizeable number of rangers and druids of the North – are known to shake their heads and spit in disgust (and drag the back of their left hand across their eyes, an ancient warding sign made so that Naulanjar might not take notice and come to claim them or their families).

Nerûve "Nine-Stars" (CN HF T4)
Glossy black hair, slender shoulders, neckline and eyebrows. Heavy-lidded green eyes, and full lips constantly curled in a mix of amusement and derision. The right side of her face was noticeably marred by heavy scarring. Owner of The Black Nouch, a diamond-studded magical brooch of Netherese origin from which she took her secondary name. Travelled to the pocket-plane of Neverwhen with the Knights Errant adventurers, where she was slain by the armsmen of the "Moon-Mad Lord" Alhaevhas Never.

Nessea (LN HF F3/Exp2), Mûra (CG HF War2/P2 of Selûne) and Talatha (CN HF T2/Sor2) Imounré
The Three Black Sisters of Salabar Street. Three retired adventurers who now operate a small boarding house out of the lower floors of their Trades Ward domicile. Possess a slowly fading wild beauty, and a fondness for oversweet sherries and Sembian candies. Aguise all in black. Live with a powerful, old, thrice-widowed mother (Thonolethea, who compliments her daughter's taste in clothing with an ever-present veil of dark lace). The sisters rarely leave their quarters, except for high holy days at the House of the Moon, or to lay flowers at the portals of various tombs in the City of the Dead (a tribute to some family and many friends now long gone).

Neldror Artemel [ Source: Forging The Realms: I Gloat In Your General Direction!, <dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/i-gloat-your-general-direction>. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 01 May 2020 00:51:47
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  16:05:59  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Naulanjar
(Nawl-ANN-jar) In the old lore of the North, held true and sacred by the Uthgardt and the Ice Hunters and other survivors of the elder days, there is mention of a great hooded crow with backwards human feet, empty, skeletal eyesockets, and the tail of a horse, alternatively fiery or whiplike and razor-sharp. This creature, called Naulanjar (or Keralaskra,"The Feaster-on-Flesh" to the Ice Hunters), is said in tales to be the first companion of The War-God That Was (a sagely catch-all phrase that includes both Tempus and earlier powers of similar portfolio), in the time before horses came to the North, when many of the deities worshiped today still slept in their celestial crèches and the primal totem gods made their terrible dominion over the wilderness. It is said to be able to assume the form of a human or half-elven female of great beauty, or a human-ish creature of indeterminate race and gender, in obvious distress, with long, lustrous black bangs hiding their eyes, and that anyone enthralled to lean in and offer assistance or part those locks and gaze upon that eyeless face discovers only death by immolation or flaying.
        The Eyeless Crow is said to delight in death and carnage, whether caused by itself or others, and so once rode upon the left shoulder of the Wargod, urging him forth into battle and cawing and shrieking in delight, before hopping off to partake of the grisly remains in his wake. It has a particular (and largely unexplained) hatred of fae such as pixies and sprites – and river selkies, who know it on sight and throw blessed juniper berries to drive it off (knowledge given to them by the selkie goddess Surminare, after the Crow snatched and slew several of her helpless kits). The Eyeless Crow is also a great enemy of the Uthgardt and especially their totem god Golden Eagle, from whose weirs Naulanjar is said to eat the salmon out of, for simple spite, catching and ripping far after its' black belly is full, and the ground lies thick with rotting half-eaten fish. Those same barbarians tell tales of how the hero Uthgar once made a yoke of knotted sweetbrier and cold iron links and was ready to add Naulanjar to his collection of mighty beast-pelts, but Naulanjar was forewarned by Oskuethé (OSS-kue-ETH-Ay), a Worm that Walks, which itself rose from the decaying, sun-bloated matter of Naulanjar's killing field, and so escaped unharmed.
        Naulanjar and its aspects have long been adopted by the orcs of The Citadel of Many-Arrows, whose banners and shields often bear the sigil of the backward-footed crow (which they know as Glaukantar, the Battle-Herald, for they see no difference between Tempus and Gruumsh, and companion to one must be companion to both). Those civilized sages who make a study of such things often claim that modern-day sightings of Naulanjar are instead some sort of vrock or similar Hellish horror cloaking itself in ancient folk tales, or perhaps the tattered, phantasmal vestiges of one or more forgotten beast-gods. When told of this, the Uthgardt – and a sizeable number of rangers and druids of the North – are known to shake their heads and spit in disgust (and drag the back of their left hand across their eyes, an ancient warding sign made so that Naulanjar might not take notice and come to claim them or their families).

I.... LOVE..... THIS. I'm not sure how to do it yet, but I picture this as being a twisted spirit akin to Muninn (Odin's Ravens... this one being "Memory"). I'd love to tie it to my Metahel Pantheon with this being a companion of Thoros, the surviving son of Asagrimmr. In the aftermath of a previous version of "Ragnarok", maybe this being survives but becomes more tied to death. Its eyeless sockets are perhaps a result of fighting with the goddess of death, and it lost all memory of the sights it had seen and what it had previously been (because having a being that is about memory forgetting itself is poetic).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2020 :  17:30:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
+1 on the amazing write-up.

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2020 :  04:12:08  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
I.... LOVE..... THIS.

Well, I'm glad you do. As I was pulling it together, I was thinking it'd be right up your alley. I'll be interested if you do find a way to make use of it.

....That said, I also figured Eric's post was to inform me that there are technically SEVEN NPCs there, and not FIVE as promised, so what do I know?

Also, upon a(nother) re-read the en parenthèse after The War-God That Was should probably read something more like "a favored phrase of sages of the elder-times, that clumsily conflates Tempus and earlier powers of similar portfolios." The idea being that reference to Naulanjar as a companion of a wargod 'in the time before horses came to the North' is an attempt to reconcile ancient lore with the later arrival/coalescing of the Faerûnian pantheon (including Tempus and his steeds, Veiros and Derios).

Or perhaps one shouldn't overthink and try to pigeonhole matters of myth and legend, and just let 'Rule of Cool' carry the day.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  05:57:04  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

"What are enchanters?

My lad, enchanters are those who shape the sun as it moves across the sky
Those who place flash and sparkle upon the brook as it flows
Those who etch patterns on a new blanket of snow, shadowy and faint
Those who hurl the stars through the black void of Night

Enchanters are those who bring forth all the sweet of the world
And that which would otherwise be but dimming memory in a joyless dream.
"
        Dulspiira the Azureous
        said to one of her apprentices on the eve of the Autumn-Weavings
        Year of the Old Giant, 1111DR

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2020 :  12:48:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

"What are enchanters?

My lad, enchanters are those who shape the sun as it moves across the sky
Those who place flash and sparkle upon the brook as it flows
Those who etch patterns on a new blanket of snow, shadowy and faint
Those who hurl the stars through the black void of Night

Enchanters are those who bring forth all the sweet of the world
And that which would otherwise be but dimming memory in a joyless dream.
"
        Dulspiira the Azureous
        said to one of her apprentices on the eve of the Autumn-Weavings
        Year of the Old Giant, 1111DR

that was really pretty. Hopefully her apprentice wasn't infatuated with her as young boys are wont to be.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2020 :  01:15:40  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Vannashae Var
A Swordcaptain (patrol leader) of the Watch, Dock Ward. Daughter of Vehn Var, deceased cavalier of Helm. Cynical, steely-eyed. Holds grudges. Well-educated thanks to the coin of her fathers' companions at the Hall of Justice.

Vargulf the Antlered
Ruathymaar warrior lord, descendant of Varos Rivenhand. Possesses The Shield of Stags, an ancient elven relic. Has a standing offer of thrice their weight in gold tradebars to any man who brings him the head of the mage Tessalar Hulicorm.

Varos Rivenhand
A noted warrior and sea reaver of much infamy in the city during the rule of Nimoar. Captain of the longboat Farthest Shores, believed at the time to be the fastest ship in the North. Feared and reviled due to rumors of devil worship. He was driven to sea after he slew Bale Three-Horns, eldest son of Nimoar.

Vehn Var
Redthroat. Named for the distinctive bright crimson gorget of his plate armor. A cavalier of Helm. Fought at Dragonspear. Died fighting Myrkul's Minions during the Time of Troubles. Brother of Kordhoun, father of Vannashae and Emmerund.

Vehn Haelstarn
A noble of House Amcathra (by marriage to Shershael Amcathra). Father of Korlin Haelstarn. Greying hair and moustache, ruddy cheeks, blue eyes, overlarge nose. Slender and a passable fighter in his youth, has become quite the drinker in his later years (reflected in his expanded waistline). Enjoys showing his prize steed, Brown Hlevuur (named after one of the heroes of the Second Dragonspear War), at the Field of Triumph and sunning himself atop it when out in The Meadows.

Emmerund Var
Son of Vehn Var, deceased cavalier of Helm. Kindly, never loses his temper. A well-regarded trainer of dogs, both for hunting and for war. Has command of a fine cry of hounds of his own, which are held on retainer by House Hawkwinter for their hunting forays.

Vaelarra Hamartranth [ Source: A 04/08/20 Twitter reply to @TheEdVerse by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Vastarr Roaringhorn [ Source: City of Splendors: Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.23 and A 05/08/08 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

The Veiled Lady of Sail Street [ Source: Realms By Night, Part One: The Veiled Lady Of Sail Street <archive.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/DnD_RBN_001.asp>. Name/Description given ]

Velatha [ Source: "The Game Wizards: Volo Goes to Town," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #190, p.82. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  01:36:45  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

And here we bid a hearty "fare thee well" to the V's (parting is such svveet sorrow)

Venzan Margaster
A noble of House Margaster. Venzan was noted as a braggart and bully, although he had considerable dueling skills to back up any offenses he gave. He was killed, along with two compatriots, in Eleint of 1370DR, in an apparent attack by the legendary "Mad Felnagus."

Veralen Mornd
Proprietor of Veralen's Vials (on the High Road, south of Coach-and-Wagon Hall). A "small-spells" mageling and purveyor of potions and thaumaturgical esoterica. Murdered in Eleint of 1369DR, presumably by someone seeking the rare chardalyn stones the hedge wizard was known to have acquired.

Verelphond (NG HM F)
Captain of the Tchazzam villa guards. Bears a shock of black hair, a spike-pointed goatee, and an easy smile. Equipped with the traditional Tchazzam guisarme-voulge, though he prefers to fight with longsword and dagger. Friends with a number of officers of the Griffon Guard. Dreams of one day flying across the rooftops of the city and the endless sea waves on a winged steed of his own. Married to Marmorna Tchazzam, a lesser daughter of the House.

Verilyn "Voice-of-Velvet" Silmerhelve
An aspiring bard and young noble of House Silmerhelve. Remembered for her powerful rendition of "What Such Starry Harbor," which she used to rouse the old warriors gathered in the taproom of the Red Gauntlet during the invasion of sea creatures in 1369DR. Before being slain by the rampaging sahuagin, Verilyn lived to see her performance inspire the denizens of the Gauntlet to one last glorious battle. The six surviving men from the taproom that night, the (self-styled) "Hoary Host of the Gauntlet," still gather there once a year, to sing their battle anthem and toast to her memory.

Verrius Anaxander (LN HM F14)
A native of Chessenta. Former Demarchon (commander) of the Mordulkin legions and independent mercenary captain. Currently quartered at the villa of the Ruldegosts, his highborn patrons. Verrius and his men, the Company of the Waycloak, are continuing on the quest that has brought him halfway across Faerûn; the search for the legendary Ring of Winter, an artifact of great power and fell repute. The Waycloaks are twenty in number, battle-hardened veterans all, and include three spellcasters; the evokers Samarrius and Jhondant "Seven-Flames," and the able diviner Shandwavthrae Orisavvhr. Verrius wields The Nornblade, a cold-iron forged luckblade +3 (whose first wish he used to resurrect his companion Samarrius; second wish he spent on an ill-fated attempt to locate the Ring; and third [and fated final] wish he is saving for the moment, as described to him by an oracle of Savras, "whose import he will know").

Velstrode the Venturer (CN HM F15; STR18/96, INT 17, DEX 16) [ Source: Waterdeep and the North, p.23 and A 08/06/14 Posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by George Krashos and A 08/06/14 Posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by The Hooded One. Name/Description/Stats given ]

Vesmra Andalakh [ Source: A 01/20/13 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name//Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  00:28:44  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Paershae Ripplerivver
Most Knowledgeable Tomekeeper, Master of The Shelves. Dry, academic, overwordy. Has bulging, overlarge eyes, which she widen even further in conversation. Head Librarian of the Circle Shelves, the vast pocket-plane of arcane lore and thought housed within the House of Wonder (and all other major Mystran temples, simultaneously).

Painted Tangwhaup
A surprisingly gregarious and well-travelled member of the reclusive Ice Hunter peoples of the Utter North. Often found for hire as a hunting guide and caravan guard. Leathered skin, round face, broad cheekbones. Great white toothy smile. The skin of her back and breastbone, which few have seen, is decorated with heavy blue-black tattoos.

Parlanph The Viscid Mystery
The Emerald Eminence of Oozes. Gnomish priest of Ghaunadar. Known in Skullport and the Undermountain. Wears (or is part of) a shimmering, pulsating coat of emerald mucus.

The Phantom Hawk of Maerklar "The Mighty"
The ghostly familiar of a now-dead Sea Ward mage. Haunts the region around Sethma's Court and stalks the homing pigeons and trained doves that fly there, appearing as a shimmering force that rips them apart in mid-air. Otherwise, mainly an irritant to larger creatures.

Pharasklur the Inflamed
Former sellsword and caravan guard. Author of A Year Among The Dog-Men of Mir (1234DR). "It was then, when I discovered the great affinity that they held for the sweet-root that Amnians call 'amargha,' that I truly began to assert my dominance over them."

Pharra
The first Magistress of the House of Wonder. Died more than 120 years ago. The symbol of authority of the House office of First Seeker, The Starry Staff of Pharra, is commonly believed to have been crafted by her but was, in truth, seized from the corpse of the traitor-lord Kerrigan by Ahghairon and later gifted to the temple. [ Source: Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, p.70 and City of Splendors: Waterdeep, p.114. Name/Description given. Additional detail by me. ]

Palamar Saergus [ Source: Ed Greenwood's Spin-a-Yarn 2009: Night of the Dread Pudding. Name/Description given ]

Palinor Belabranta [ Source: A 04/01/03 posting to the REALMS-L list by Eric L. Boyd. Name/Description given ]

Pallin Talmost [ Source: City of Splendors 3E Web Enhancement – Environs of Waterdeep, p.5. Name/Description given ]

Panthras (NG HM F10) [ Source: FA1 Halls of the High King, p.3. Name/Description/Stats given ]

Parhcharest Sullamatharn [ Source: A 07/27/06 posting to the Candlekeep.com Message Boards by Steven Schend. Name/Description given ]

Parnak Deepwinter [ Source: Realms By Night, Part Seven: Kahla the Ghost of Heroes' Garden <archive.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/DnD_RBN_007.asp>. Name/Description Given ]

Phandarla/Phandarl Immerstorn [ Source: A 04/08/20 Twitter reply to @TheEdVerse by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

The Phantom Milkmaid [ Source: Realms By Night, Part Two: The Phantom Milkmaid <archive.wizards.com/forgottenrealms/DnD_RBN_002.asp>. Name/Description given ]

Phanturgost [ Source: Character Profile: Ieiridauna Amalree <wizards.com/default.asp?x=books/fr/ieiridaunacp>. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  15:44:00  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

Paershae Ripplerivver
Most Knowledgeable Tomekeeper, Master of The Shelves. Dry, academic, overwordy. Has bulging, overlarge eyes, which she widen even further in conversation. Head Librarian of the Circle Shelves, the vast pocket-plane of arcane lore and thought housed within the House of Wonder (and all other major Mystran temples, simultaneously).

The Phantom Hawk of Maerklar "The Mighty"
The ghostly familiar of a now-dead Sea Ward mage. Haunts the region around Sethma's Court and stalks the homing pigeons and trained doves that fly there, appearing as a shimmering force that rips them apart in mid-air. Otherwise, mainly an irritant to larger creatures.

In truth, Maerklar "The Mighty" was a Rashemi wychlaran (formerly Maerklarra, and actually a half-elf (lythari of the Vil Adanrath)/half spirit folk (river)), specifically a Durthan, who actually had the nickname "The Might Be" for her famous tendency to never answer a question directly about what kind of spellcasting she/he studied. She grew up in Rashemen around the time of the founding of Thay. She was a wizard/spirit shaman/durthan (durthan should be modified for 3.5 to be more like arcane hierophant, advancing 2 classes but also the ability to use spirit animals/telthors as companion animals, some abilities with cold, and possibly giving up place magic and losing the arcane hierophant wild shape and channel abilities ). Maerklarra was keen on exploring the world outside of Rashemen, unlike many wychlaran, and in particular was interested in obtaining the lost lore of Raumathar. It was on an expedition into Shandaular that Maerklarra discovered lost lore on binding spirits/vestiges from a book on Thayd's Theurgist Adepts. It was on this same trip that Maerklarra was actually cursed with an effect similar to a girdle of masculinity/femininity and first learned of an ancient society of binders known as the Theurgian Society which had a hidden extra-planar library created by the Imaskari, an adjunct of which was found in the ancient Raumathari city of Winterkeep. Unlike a traditional girdle, the use of a remove curse or similar effect is a temporary effect lasting only until the next dawn, at which point the original curse is once again applied.

Maerklarra discovered that she enjoyed being a man and went on a personal dajemma to discover the lands to the west, taking the name Maerklar. Along the way, he uncovered the lore of spirit beings such as Kunin Gatar, Nendawen, and the Stag King, as well as the spirits of the gods known as Ulutiu and Uthgar. Some say "he" went on to become an anima mage as well as a Durthan, advancing as wizard, anima mage and spirit shaman. Maerklar himself spent little time in Waterdeep before seeking even further west, some say to the lands of Anchorome, where he learned even more of spirits and spirit magic.

Its rumored that Maerklar has established relations with the Theurgian Society as well as the Circle Shelves, and that there is some hidden link between these two libraries. Maerklar uses this link to transport himself around the world, and he can be found roaming all around the north, Ruathym, Pelvuria, the hordelands, the unapproachable east, the bloodstone lands, and Anchorome. Its rumored that Maerklar once put a rune on Yggdrasil's Child, though to what end is unknown. Maerklar is on good relations with Paershae Ripplerivver, who is in fact her daughter (Ripplerivver being Maerklar's own lost last name from her spirit folk side of the family).

Maerklar "The Might Be" is chaotic neutral, and concerned little with trying to maintain "good". He also tends to be a bit spooky or addlewitted to many for his tendency to talk to beings that don't appear to be there (he is in fact talking often to spirits). While he knows of Mystra's chosen, and he does not seek to provoke them, he is also not necessarily on good terms with them, primarily because he is also not necessarily on bad terms with many powerful undead spellcasters (particularly ghostly ones) throughout Toril. In fact, Maerklar is said to even be on decent relations with the lich known as Larloch, at least enough that both respect one another and will not attack each other on sight. Maerklar however is not on good relations with the red wizards of Thay, particularly Szass Tam, nor the twisted rune. After the Spellplague, Maerklar was said to have disappeared, and some say that was because he went to Abeir along with the continent of Anchorome. Only recently, after the second sundering, has Maerklar again been heard from again.

Maerklar is also known for creating a spell known as "Awaken Spirit Animal", which awakens "spirit animals" (see Frostburn) as per the awaken spell. It is because of his experimentation of this spell that the Phantom Hawk who inhabits Sethma's court was created, and many believe this creature to have been his "familiar". This awakened spirit animal is tasked with protecting an entrance into the Theurgian Society's library which exists off Sethma's court, and after an instance in which a wildshaped druid of Malar attempted to infiltrate the library in pigeon form, the spirit hawk has taken it as its responsibility to slay and eat all pigeon's that appear in Sethma's Court.

It is also noted that for some time, relations between Elminster and the Simbul with Maerklar have been icy at best. Some say that Maerklar came to Rashemen's aid after being contacted by the Simbul in the 1360's, and that during this time the Simbul thought to make the old mage jealous in order to make him "commit" to their relationship. However, the Simbul was particularly adventurous and didn't obey Maerklar's "safe word" policy, as well as apparently "leaving her crystal ball accidentally on". It reputedly involved the removing of his curse effect temporarily upon the appearance of an enraged Elminster. However, since his apparent return from Abeir, Maerklar has been seen to be hinting about that he'd like to open a conversation with the Simbul, whom some say can be found as a spirit or "weaveghost" still despite stories of her being absorbed by Mystra.

DM's Notes: Yep, this guy is broken. The intent is to give a history and let someone build whatever kind of weird NPC they want that has a focus on wizardry, druidic magic, runic magic, and pact magic with spirits but not necessarily "vestiges".

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 May 2020 16:07:51
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  01:09:39  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Tehtira Bellsilver (NG HF Ra5)
The Voice of the Shrines. Tehtira is an aide to Briosar Helmsing, but is rarely to be found in the city. She spends much of her time travelling between Waterdeep and the Tall Trees of the High Forest, where she reports to Uthgang Jyarl, the Great Druid of the North. She is widely known in the hunter's camps and ranger moots of the North, and makes an effort to return to the City of Splendors on all high holidays, when rangers and woodsmen alike converge on the shrines to meet and swap goods and stories of the wilderlands. As a child Tehtira was "touched by the Goddess," whose deific power causes her black eyes to turn blue before it begins to rain. [ Source: City of Splendors - Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.62. Name/Stats given. Additional detail by me. ]

Thaeryn Roaringhorn
A young noble of House Roaringhorn. Thick-necked, heavy, easily out of breath. Has a quick, ready laugh. An armiger of the Lathanderite Order of the Aster.

Thaesal (CN HM)
(THAY-säl) Proprietor of Thaesal's Fine Tashal Fashions, an upscale tailory ("weavings wrought of noon and night, arrayed in hues of beauty by the hand of Fashion"), Gorl Street, Sea Ward. Tall, thin. As fussy as he is immaculate. Speaks softly and urgently. Habitually glues small chips of emerald and garnet to the tips of his long fingernails. Condescending and haughty to anyone he deems to be of insufficient coin who dares set foot in his shop, but is enamored of elves and other faerie-kin. He has even availed himself of the services of various chiurgeons and arcane body-shapers in an effort to make himself appear more "elvish" (the cause of his odd, almond-shaped eyes and razor-thin nose, among other things).
        Thaesal considers himself an expert on the art of the stage, and has taken it upon himself to judge the artistic merits of any plays, shows, or other such offerings that take place in the city. He has even gone as far as to have a local broadsheet maker print up copies of his "thorough reviews," which he sends off to all noble villas, temples, mage schools and other centers of enlightenment in the city. While his reviewing techniques are totally arbitrary and, as noted above, skewed towards material of a Fair Folk bent, his endeavors have met with some success and he is currently all the rage at certain noble parties and other fêtes as a result.

Thaeverel "Short-Shanks"
Captain of the Morning Tides, a cog of the Dezlentyr fleet. Short and stocky. Covers his balding pate with a floppy, wide-brimmed hat. Sports well-groomed facial hair and a mouth full of bad teeth. Often accompanied by Thazbor, his gnomish cabin mate.

Thalargh Goblin-Kin
A raider and bandit-lord who terrorized the Lower Dessarin a century ago from his ruinous stronghold of Wolf's Crag. His tyranny grew greatest during the Mis-Rule of the Lords Magister, when his forces descended on the plateau and encamped in what is now North Ward. He was laid low in battle with the Lords Baeron and Shilarn, and the warriors Ultath Lathkule and Durnan the Wanderer, and his men were scattered into the wilderness. His weapon, The Red Sword (a broadsword +4, defender), is now in the possession of Rulathon, the Captain of the City Watch.

Teshla Hawkwinter [ Source: "The Eye of the Dragon," Ed Greenwood, Realms of Magic. Name/Description given ]

Thalambur [ Source: An 01/02/14 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Thalaraz Dlaerve [ Source: "The New Adventures of Volo: The House of Stone," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine # 273, p.76. Name/Description given ]

Thalomun [ Source: Waterdeep News: Ghost Sightings <wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/wdn/20061108a>. Name/Description given ]

Thamdros [ Source: City of Splendors: A Waterdeep Novel. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2020 :  00:31:29  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Welp, adios to the K's (knice to know ya)

Kathabrae "Kath"
Mother Morningfeast. Moon-faced, short and stout. Bright eyes peering through heavy wrinkles, robust nose and lips and chin. Has her stall and her red-hot sizzlestone ready before daybreak, perched on the docks hard by Seaswealth Hall. "bread and bacon, and all other manner of glorious morning-fry." Her offerings are the best kind of hot and greasy, and her self-described "morning remedies" are unparalleled (her nose- and eye-searing broth of boiled dandelion leaves, lemon juice and dwarven gutflame are guaranteed to drive the dead-eyes from even the most besotted wretch).

Khemeran
Former owner of Khemeran's Fine Fineries on Wall Street (South Ward, south of Caravan Street). Polite, soft-spoken. Secretly a member of the outlawed Shadow Thieves. Killed by his erstwhile allies for some unknown transgression or failed mission. His shop is now Ruddystone Boots and Buckskin, and the proprietor does not speak of the former owner.

Khumbar the Fat
A cinnamon-skinned, grossly-overweight merchant of textiles (draperies, wall-hangings, rugs). Possessed of superior airs, condescending to all. Rumored to have been run out of Ankhapur after being caught casting hornsharpen magics on his fighting lizards. A minor underling of the secretive Great Goblet society (he reports to the merchant lord Ilverr Glaengath). Considers himself far more powerful than he actually is.

Khordan of the North
Of strong dwarvish heritage (his father, Durros, was an overseer in the smelting mines of Mirabar). Works as a wilderness guide and caravan outrider. Short and stout, with heavily-braided hair and a strong profile. Wields a double-headed axe and heavy crossbow. Fond of good halfling pipeweed, has a surprisingly melodic singing voice.

Khorom Thorp
A noble of House Thorp. Tall, stoop-shouldered. A known seducer of ladies high and low. Khorom is a lustful, cruel and arbitrary man of advanced years and little skill outside of intrigue. That he is quite good at, though, and his years of information gathering and rumormongering have served him well. Despite being disowned by his brother, the former patriarch of the House, he has managed to regain a measure of power as one (the foremost one, he assures) of three Thorp lords-regent (the other two being Hulameros Thorp and his daughter, the lady Stelar Nesher) tasked with guiding the House until his niece Hulmara attains the age of majority. [ Source: City of Splendors – Who's Who In Waterdeep, p.27. Name/Occupation given. Additional detail by me. ]

Katya Brossfeather [ Source: City of Splendors: Who's Who In Waterdeep, p. 12 and A 12/27/19 Twitter reply to @TheEdVerse by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Kherris [ Source: City of Splendors - Campaign Guide, p.98. Name/Description given ]

Khryskrarra Manthar [ Source: A 04/05/07 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Klaragh Skullbold [ Source: Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, p.124. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2020 :  01:19:23  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Arsklaun "Halfjaw"
Native of Neverwinter. Master harpist, road with some half-dozen adventuring companies across the North. The sudden end to both careers came when he received a rather grevious axe-wound to the lower half of his face which, as his name suggests, ruined his lower right cheek and jaw, and reduced his speech to a harsh, throaty croak. Author of the 1353DR memoir Lay the Lights Low: My Final Bow and Blade-Flourish as a Master Harpsman ("Dying in a lover's arms is not quite the heroic warrior's death I had aspired to in my youth. But then again, perhaps the Halls of the Gods would be better staffed if more rough lives would be sweetened and purified in this way").

Arslandra "Featherhand"
Stone-faced, rather stout. Kept the right side of her head close-cropped, wore blue-dyed double braids on the left. Good with the longbow. Won both the Long-Arrow and Fair-Eye contests at both the 1353 and 1354DR Midsummer Games. Killed 1356DR, by devils during the Dragonspear War.

Arvaeune
The Dancing Deva. Widely-famed Calishite courtesan and shaleira. One of her bejewelled and spell-scented (enchanted to emit various fragrances when in certain lighting conditions or specific musical notes are played) silks was offered to the crowd at a Brossfeather ball in 1371DR, causing quite a scuffle between the bravos Lullannyn Brossfeather and Amergos Hawkwinter.

Arvym (LN HM) and Jolym (N HM) Sklaeroon
"The Brothers Sklaeroon." Widely regarded as two of the finest hire-musicians available in the city. Arvym (the elder brother) is trained in a wide variety of wind instruments, while Jolym prefers to sing and to play the mandolin. Natives of the Moonshaes.

Arvys Spellfoot (LG HaM Adp4 of Arvoreen)
Stout, tall, gray-haired and solemn. Husband of Berandla Spellfoot. Along with Merlic Bramblebranch, maintains a small shrine to the Defender in the basement of the Snail Street home owned by Bendym Winterswink. The mentor of the young Hin acolyte Jaster Winterwink.

Arspeiridou Ilygelther [ Source: A 12/30/13 posting to the Candlekeep.com message boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Arsten Thunderstaff II [ Source: Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, p.69. Name/Description given ]

Arthryn Mornstorm (NE HM Com9) [ Source: "Dungeon of the Crypt," Eric L. Boyd, Dungeon Magazine #127, p.71. Name/Description/Stats given ]

Arunjun Thoulae
The Arun. A famous local baker (of savory, meat- and fish-filled pastries) who flourished in Waterdeep some two centuries ago. He fed the poor, and threw frequent (and extravagant) street parties, paying for them with the revenues from the festhalls and caravan companies he (secretly) owned. Arun's Alley (Dock Ward) is named after him. [ Source: e-mail correspondence with Ed Greenwood, undated (1998?) ]

Arvul the Radish-King [ Source: A 05/17/04 Posting to the Candlekeep Message Boards by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 25 May 2020 01:43:02
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2020 :  00:27:12  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Balûrdorn Fallhammer
Dwarven proprietor of Fallhammer Fairhammerings, Silvery and Finesmithy ("silvery enchantments of the most curious and extraordinary kind, all things made to order and perfection", Street of Silver, Castle Ward). Dark, spotted skin, small, deep-set eyes, and a square, fringe-whiskered jaw. Swift worker; the faster a client demands results the more he charges. Has as apprentices the half-orc Glavras, the dwarf Huralhavra, and the human Forin (the latter pair just recently wed, and bearers of a pair of fine Fallhammer silver troth-rings).

Bensyl Iyrivvin (CG ½EF W5)
A lady escort of good cheer and flowing, curly chestnut locks at the Blushing Mermaid festhall. Bensyl is also secretly a Harper contact; she will not participate directly in combat, but will access a stash of "discreetly lethal" spell scrolls if her aid is necessary. [ Source: "I Sing A Song By The Deep-Water Bay," Steven Schend, Dragon Magazine #211, p.30 and FOR4 Code of the Harpers, p.71. Name/Occupation/Stats given. Additional detail by me. ]

Berandla Spellfoot
Wife of Arvys Spellfoot. Grey-haired, doe-eyed. Jovial, soft-spoken, excellent listener. More commonly known as "Mother Lillowill" (Lillowill being the name of the wise old fairy in the ancient Hin epic The Lord of Light Laughter; has become common smallfolk shorthand to refer to one old and wise, and of kindly or helpful disposition). Provides herbal medicines and poultices to The Well-Travelled Hoof (shoeing, hoof care and various medicines for horses, sheep and cattle; Caravan Court, South Ward) and works the counter of Winterswink Fine Craftings ("Chests and puncheons, kegs and flasks; Goblets, chalices, firkins and casks"; Snail Street, Trades Ward).

Berrold Merrythought
Fixture of Northern myth and legend. Often claimed by House Amcathra as the progenitor of their noble line (an assertion just as often laughed at by their noble rivals). Said to have stolen the white horse of King Enbelad of the Elves, blooded of Lurue, which was swifter than the Dessarin in spring; and purloined the red horse of King Durruk of the Dwarves, crafted of the precious things in the earth, which had flanks like iron and hooves of thunder; and rustled the black horse of King Orogus of the Orcs, which was not a horse at all, but the spell-imprisoned Alaphaera, princess of the royal Raven house of Faerie; whereupon he married her and together they rode their steeds into victorious battle against the tripartite armies of the irate Kings, and reigned long and prosperous from their castle atop the White Mountain of the High Forest, whose flanks glistened like wax in the flames of sunset.

Bexell "Silkenfingers"
Short, slender, dark-eyed thief. Skilled at imitating folk of differing social standings and divers professions, and even the opposite gender. Stole the spellbooks known as the Zaun Thaumadex from the Knights Errant adventurers after their return from the extra-planar Meandering Manyrealms. Disappeared from the city soon thereafter, and is believed to have sold the tomes to an unknown bidder in the eastern Realms. May have also had dealings with the Cailleach of the Murkwold, who came seeking the tomes in force with darkenbeasts and ju-ju zombies soon after Bexell's abrupt exit.

Bendulph [ Source: A 05/18/20 Twitter reply to @TheEdVerse by Ed Greenwood. Name/Description given ]

Berentha Manthar [ Source: "The Eye of the Dragon," Ed Greenwood, Realms of Magic. Name/Description given ]

Bergos Brossfeather [ Source: "Nothing But Trouble," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #238, p.66. Name/Description given ]

Bezier [ Source: FR7 Hall of Heroes, p.33. Name/Occupation given ]

Bhaedulph Gost [ Source: "The Fireplace Level," Eric L. Boyd, Dungeon Magazine #128, p.91. Name/Description given ]

AJA
YAFRP

Edited by - AJA on 13 Jul 2021 00:16:24
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  00:31:16  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Cadella Thylight
A priestess at the House of Wonder. Cadella possesses a slender build and an extraordinarily pale complexion set off by dark blue, almost black, eyes. She is extremely arrogant, and looks down on those not able to tap into the Lady's Weave. Even to mages and devotees of the Lady of Mysteries, she comes across as icy and withdrawn. [ Source: "Wyrms of the North: Klauth," Ed Greenwood, Dragon Magazine #244, p.57. Name/Occupation given. Additional detail by me. ]

Caedan Lythlyn (LG HM F)
A Senior Civilar under the command of South Ward Civilar Talaver "Azure-Hand." Caedan leads the Watch forces at the Southgate, tasked with inspecting the endless streams of merchants, wagons and beasts that pass through into the city, keeping the immediate area about the walls free from obstruction, and with quelling the constant tide of violence, unrest, and lawlessness in the area.

Caeldath "Wolfjaws" (LG HM Ra9/W3)
Served twenty years as a ranger-tracker of the Guard and five as a magister ("black-robe"). Nicknamed for his overlarge, salt-and-pepper muttonchop sideburns and pale, watery-blue eyes. He is well-known in both the outlying districts and farmsteads and the Lower Wards of the city, and uses his contacts there to gain information for his superiors in Force Grey. Has turned somber and introspective in recent months after the death of his wife, Hrella, at the hands of a grey druid in the High Forest.

The Cailleach of the Murkwold
Last of the Cailleachs (Caliagh) (sorcerer-crones) who held power over much of northern Moray. Their dominion of trollkin and firbolgs was weakened by constant battle with the Northmen and finally broken at the Battle of Winterglen. Three other, younger, sorceresses currently style themselves as Cailleach, but their mastery of Art and command of the monstrous natives pales in comparison to their forebears. The Cailleach sent darkenbeasts and ju-ju zombies against the Knights Errant adventurers in 1365DR, mistakenly believing them to be in possession of the spellbooks known as the Zaun Thaumadex.

Calantha Vlurr
A member of the Stonecutters Guild. Master Stonesman of Vlurr's Fine Quarrystones. Her crews cut block stone from the seacoast crags north of Waterdeep. Finds herself in constant need of hireswords to defend her claimed territory (Jeglid's Climb north to The Rook of Senshar) against predatory griffons, stirges and rival guildsmen.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2020 :  02:10:11  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, AJA, I'm going to borrow the werepegasi/uthgardt tribes stories (i.e Bellundrae Brost, Selundrae the ranger, Anathlue "Battle-Blooded", etc....) that we worked out together for some story that's building a weird backstory for a series of characters. Hope that's cool.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2020 :  19:53:36  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Hey, AJA, I'm going to borrow the werepegasi/uthgardt tribes stories (i.e Bellundrae Brost, Selundrae the ranger, Anathlue "Battle-Blooded", etc....) that we worked out together for some story that's building a weird backstory for a series of characters. Hope that's cool.

Yeah, of course that's fine. I saw some of your notes over on the Brainstorming Anchorome thread.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2020 :  00:22:54  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJA

quote:

Yeah, of course that's fine. I saw some of your notes over on the Brainstorming Anchorome thread.

Yeah, some rather strange ideas are coming to mind. Things like "can a werepegasi and a "werehippocampi" mate... since both are horse based creatures". Then an idea for "weresealions" who are basically merfolk versions of werelions. The idea is that while in Abeir, some of the shapechangers who are from different worlds and hiding their ability from their neighbors may find a kinship with one another (a rather strange twist on the little mermaid).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

AJA
Senior Scribe

USA
747 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2020 :  03:03:53  Show Profile Send AJA a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Olaun Utham
A native of Chondath and a champion equestrian and "brightlance" (professional jouster). Has a fine-trimmed blond beard and moustache, and wears expensive southern fashions. Noted for his near insatiable love of gambling, food, ale, horses, and women. He has won many jousting titles and races at the Field of Triumph, where he is popularly known as "the Golden Rider." He has lodgings at the villa of his noble patrons, the Bladesemmers.

Olayo of Deneir (LG HM B1)
Son of a Velenese sea captain. Olayo was raised by priests of Deneir after his father's death at sea, and trained as a scrivener and initiate of the Lorelord. He is also a passable singer and musician (he prefers the Mintarn twostring). Can be hired at The Swords Rest in Trades Ward, to transcribe/translate documents or as an extra swordarm on an adventure (he knows little of weapons and combat, but has always yearned to see Faerûn and live the tales of great heroes).

Old Greengnaw
The animate head of one of the dragon turtles slain in the Battle of Waterdeep Harbor. While its' shell was auctioned to a half-dozen jewelers, the meat sold to the Guild of Butchers and its' innards taken by the Watchful Order, the imposing caput itself was claimed by Calathia Frost of the Mermaid's Arms, as battle-spoils. It was enchanted to snarl and gnash its' beak and hung for a time over the rebuilding festhall but eventually disappeared, stolen by unknown agents. The disembodied head of "Old Greengnaw" still pops up from time to time across the city, frightening fishwives and late-night passerby in what most believe are pranks committed by bardlings from New Olamn.

Old Shadowheart
The Witch of the Wards. A popular figure in the folklore of the city. Tales of Old Shadowheart are numerous, and mostly designed to scare young children, or to provide cautionary tales about wandering about in dark alleys or abandoned buildings. "The Witch of the Wards" is a hulking, cackling old crone who haunts the dark places of the city and is always accompanied by creeping fog and wild alleycats. Her lair, where she takes all her captured children, is said to be a cave somewhere on the slopes of Mount Waterdeep.

Old Zzrauldyna
The Three-Mawed Terror of the Troll Hills. A creature of common legend in the tales of the city. Mirt the Moneylender often claims to have battled it.

AJA
YAFRP
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 25 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000