Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 D&D cartoon IDW comic say show set in FR all along
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  16:50:44  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Just today, the comic book 'Dungeons & Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures #1' went on sale, intended by WOTC and IDW to be a continuation of the tv show (when this takes place in relation to the audio play Reqiuem isn't clear, but possibly before that).

In literally the first page, it says in the prose recap "In the early 1980s, six kids... were enjoying a day at the amusement park. That is, until a fateful ride on a D&D themed roller coaster transported them to the Forgotten Realms!"

Isn't this a HUGE retcon? I think before now it was long assumed that the cartoon took place on some generic D&D setting, or maybe Greyhawk. Yes, the D&D cartoon protagonists have featured in Realms works before, notably the Grand Tour comic book with Elminster, a painting in Baldur's Gate 2 jokingly referring to them rumored to have been killed and most recently (minor spoilers for upcoming D&D movie)

unnamed people who look like them, with no lines, in Dungeons & Dragons Honor Among Thieves

However, in all of the above cases, it could be handwaved that the D&D protagonists traveled to the Realms AFTER the events of the cartoon, not that the cartoon was set in the Forgotten Realms itself.

Now however, this comic book outright says that the show was taking place in the Realms the whole time and appears to be the current official stance on the matter by WOTC. This would also retroactively make the cartoon the first Realms products as they came out 1983-1985, predating 1987's Darkwalker on Moonshae and even the Forgotten Realms Campaign set that debuted the whole setting!

Thoughts? Any cartoon/Realms experts who can point out any possible contradictions in this retcon?

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  17:30:50  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree. My memory is too fuzzy on the cartoon, but where in the Realm did all of their adventures (the town of Helix for example) allegedly take place would be my question. Dungeon Master (and possibly Venger) could be a god or something else, fine, but I don't see how to fit all the cartoon locations into the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  17:48:29  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Realms does not have a DM living in it, so that would strike me as a problem. Of course one might say DM was a deity/mage using a different name. The various adventures might also conflict. Venger could also have a different name.

A review of summaries of the episodes do not appear to cause any major conflict.

The adventurers could take place border lands or even upmapped areas.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon

Edited by - Kentinal on 29 Mar 2023 17:50:53
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  18:33:45  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

I agree. My memory is too fuzzy on the cartoon, but where in the Realm did all of their adventures (the town of Helix for example) allegedly take place would be my question. Dungeon Master (and possibly Venger) could be a god or something else, fine, but I don't see how to fit all the cartoon locations into the Realms.

Does the twin planet of Abeir count as the Forgotten Realms? Maybe the cartoon takes place on there, then when a portion of Abeir was transported back to Toril, the protagonists were transported along with it.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  18:39:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
TSR didn't buy the Realms until 1986 or 1987. Therefore, a cartoon airing before then could not have been set there.

Even saying they were on one of the undescribed continents on Abeir-Toril still means TSR was using an IP they didn't own.

It's been a long time since I saw the cartoon, but from what I recall, there was absolutely nothing that specifically tied it to any specific D&D setting -- I don't recall if they even used any of the named spells, like any of the spells named for Bigby or Mordenkainen. The place was described as "the Realm" (not Realms, but singular), IIRC.

So yeah, this is a huge retcon, and it's another sign that the current "design" team just doesn't care about continuity and thinks the Realms is a salad bar they can pick and choose from and ignore anything they don't like.

I'm going to stick with my stance that the kids were stuck somewhere else, and eventually said "screw it" and hopped into one of the many portals they kept finding, and wound up in the Realms. I'm kinda leaning towards it being some sort of demiplane, with Venger also having been trapped there.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  18:56:15  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

TSR didn't buy the Realms until 1986 or 1987. Therefore, a cartoon airing before then could not have been set there.

That's kind of quibbling, for example DC didn't own the original Captain Marvel/Shazam comic books from the 1940s owned by Fawcett Comics either, but once they bought the rights the official word became and remains that those comics took place in the DC Universe "all along".

I'd be curious what Ed Greenwood thinks about this. If he was game and an area assigned in the Realms for where the cartoon would've taken place, he'd be the one who should do it.
Go to Top of Page

Werthead
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
165 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  21:48:42  Show Profile  Visit Werthead's Homepage Send Werthead a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Desert of Desolation modules were published in 1983 and Damara, Vaasa and the Bloodstone Pass in 1985, not to mention Kara-Tur, also in 1985, which were all later bolted into the Forgotten Realms setting (also Moonshae, developed by Doug Niles as their own setting a year or two before the Realms launched). Retconning other things into the Realms has a very long and honourable (?) history.

Also, not to mention that the FR first appeared in print with Ed's Dragon Magazine articles starting in 1979, even if it took a while to start getting the sense of a cohesive world out of them (Waterdeep isn't mentioned until 1982, for example).

Obviously this is a silly retcon, since Venger and Tiamat tearing up the Realms would (you'd assume) attract the attention of any number of Realms notables, but you could fit it in somewhere, especially going back thousands of years or choosing a different continent or even punting the whole thing onto Abeir or one of the other planets in Realmspace.

WotC also seem to be using the term "Forgotten Realms" increasingly very loosely. I've seen seen it used to refer to Sigil, Ravenloft and Spelljammer, making me think they're (mis)using the term to refer to "the entire D&D multiverse."
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  22:11:42  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Werthead

The Desert of Desolation modules were published in 1983 and Damara, Vaasa and the Bloodstone Pass in 1985, not to mention Kara-Tur, also in 1985, which were all later bolted into the Forgotten Realms setting (also Moonshae, developed by Doug Niles as their own setting a year or two before the Realms launched). Retconning other things into the Realms has a very long and honourable (?) history.

Also, not to mention that the FR first appeared in print with Ed's Dragon Magazine articles starting in 1979, even if it took a while to start getting the sense of a cohesive world out of them (Waterdeep isn't mentioned until 1982, for example).

Obviously this is a silly retcon, since Venger and Tiamat tearing up the Realms would (you'd assume) attract the attention of any number of Realms notables, but you could fit it in somewhere, especially going back thousands of years or choosing a different continent or even punting the whole thing onto Abeir or one of the other planets in Realmspace.

WotC also seem to be using the term "Forgotten Realms" increasingly very loosely. I've seen seen it used to refer to Sigil, Ravenloft and Spelljammer, making me think they're (mis)using the term to refer to "the entire D&D multiverse."

I read the first issue and the kids themselves in the comic refer to being in the "Forgotten Realms" in dialogue (not Faerun or Toril or Sword Coast). One even says "We saved the Forgotten Realms like a dozen times."

At the end of the issue, they cast some spell to try to take them back to Earth, and instead end up in Waterdeep. That's when the issue ends. It's not clear if they teleported themselves to another city within the same world they were already on or onto a different planet.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  23:09:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummm... Sorry to burst so many bubbles, but the kids have been in the Realms since 1996 and in the comic book The Grand Tour when Presto tries to get Elminster to mentor him. Plus, there was images of them in Candlekeep in the Baldur's Gate II PC game.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  23:16:51  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ummm... Sorry to burst so many bubbles, but the kids have been in the Realms since 1996 and in the comic book The Grand Tour when Presto tries to get Elminster to mentor him. Plus, there was images of them in Candlekeep in the Baldur's Gate II PC game.

quote:
Originally posted by Master Katarn

before now it was long assumed that the cartoon took place on some generic D&D setting, or maybe Greyhawk. Yes, the D&D cartoon protagonists have featured in Realms works before, notably the Grand Tour comic book with Elminster, a painting in Baldur's Gate 2 jokingly referring to them rumored to have been killed

However, in all of the above cases, it could be handwaved that the D&D protagonists traveled to the Realms AFTER the events of the cartoon, not that the cartoon was set in the Forgotten Realms itself.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2023 :  23:18:41  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

before now it was long assumed that the cartoon took place on some generic D&D setting, or maybe Greyhawk. Yes, the D&D cartoon protagonists have featured in Realms works before, notably the Grand Tour comic book with Elminster, a painting in Baldur's Gate 2 jokingly referring to them rumored to have been killed

That'll teach me to skim the post while eating lo mein...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  00:11:34  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Does the twin planet of Abeir count as the Forgotten Realms? Maybe the cartoon takes place on there, then when a portion of Abeir was transported back to Toril, the protagonists were transported along with it.

There were clerics and paladins in the cartoon.

Oh, and I would be surprised if anyone in FR referred to it as the "forgotten" realms.... the realms maybe... Toril, Faerun, Realmspace, Abeir-Toril... maybe... but I just can't buy anyone in setting calling it "the forgotten realms".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 30 Mar 2023 00:17:05
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  01:19:46  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it's a great retcon and hopefully will result in them coming back.

But since they showed up in the Dungeons and Dragons movie, we can assume that it's the case.

Alternatively, they were on another world and then got themselves transported to the Realms sometime after the cartoon.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  01:46:28  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't drink the Wizards of the Coast Kool-Aid.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  02:10:49  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Azar

Don't drink the Wizards of the Coast Kool-Aid.

I'm sorry but if they make products I like and want...I shall buy them?

Go to Top of Page

Azar
Master of Realmslore

1279 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  02:18:59  Show Profile Send Azar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oops. Was that prior post of mine specifically addressed to you (as far as I am aware, these boards don't have a "flat" message listing option, "nested" message listing option and so on and so forth)? It was meant as a general message.

Stand with anybody that stands right. Stand with him while he is right and part with him when he goes wrong.

Earth names in the Realms are more common than you may think.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  05:50:06  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

The Realms does not have a DM living in it, so that would strike me as a problem. Of course one might say DM was a deity/mage using a different name. The various adventures might also conflict. Venger could also have a different name.

Not to date myself but, why not Mask? In the ToT/Avatar Series, he did disguise himself as a short sword known as Godsbane, which found it's way into Cyric's possession. Clearly, he's got a reputation. :D

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  06:27:42  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfhound75

quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Not to date myself but, why not Mask? In the ToT/Avatar Series, he did disguise himself as a short sword known as Godsbane, which found it's way into Cyric's possession. Clearly, he's got a reputation. :D

From http://www.candlekeep.com/fr_faq.htm#_Toc16090482

2.7. Whom is Ao talking to at the end of "Waterdeep"?
There are all kinds of theories, but the one that seems to make the most sense is that he was talking to the Supreme God, the DM.

So this comic confirms he was talking to

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0169/6995/7440/products/F6641_DIO_DDCARTOON_2PACK_0026_Online_2000SQ_2000x.jpg?v=1663935646

:P
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  13:46:11  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't see Dungeon Naster as anything weirder than the hundreds of other Epic Level wizards scattered across the Realms.

"Dungeon Master" CG Male Gnomish Illusionist 20th Level Mage

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  13:57:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

But since they showed up in the Dungeons and Dragons movie, we can assume that it's the case.

Alternatively, they were on another world and then got themselves transported to the Realms sometime after the cartoon.

THAT is more believable and easier to include.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  16:14:32  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

Yeah but talk about yanking the dog's chain. They spend 20+ episodes trying to find a way off the world they were located on, succeed, and then end up on a DIFFERENT high fantasy world.

It even has an even blacker bit of humor that they've clearly met Elminster, probably after giving up getting home, and he explicitly knows how to get to reach our world from canon.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  18:21:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah but talk about yanking the dog's chain. They spend 20+ episodes trying to find a way off the world they were located on, succeed, and then end up on a DIFFERENT high fantasy world.

It even has an even blacker bit of humor that they've clearly met Elminster, probably after giving up getting home, and he explicitly knows how to get to reach our world from canon.

You MIGHT turn that blacker bit of humor into something nicer if you say that AFTER they met Elminster is when.... in helping them... he discovered the path to our world. Maybe the reports of their deaths are exagerrated, and periodically like the kids in Narnia, they come back to Toril. Whenever they pass through, they may even revert to a younger age... like the Narnian children.

In fact, we actually aren't sure of what year the kids went TO the place they went to in the first place. We have images of a roller coaster, and we can see how their dressed... but that COULD have been from the 1960's... maybe? Ed was born in 1959. He "invented" the realms in his mind in the mid-60's. If he wanted to announce that Bobby the barbarian was really his friend growing up.... I'd go with it.. Or even if he announced that "Presto" was his nickname and THAT'S how he met Elminster (if that were the case and Presto was 14, that would put the date of going on the roller coaster ride to 1973). Would it be corny? Yes. Would I accept it? Yes.

Ironically... If Ed WERE supposed to be Presto... and if Presto supposedly appears in the new movie... then someone portraying Ed would be performing a cameo in the new movie. Or I might just be being silly.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 30 Mar 2023 19:57:16
Go to Top of Page

Wolfhound75
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  18:44:18  Show Profile Send Wolfhound75 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just a random opinion but, given the time the cartoon was being aired - D&D and Loony Tunes totally made it worth getting up Saturday mornings as a kid - I've always viewed what you describe as "jumping to a different crystal sphere" which contained one of the other D&D worlds, e.g. Greyhawk, Oerth, etc.

Probably not correct in the strictest sense, but it worked for the mega campaign I was building and helped explain the cartoon series in a way that at least took more than a passing effort at explaining it as 'canon' even if it was for my personal game.

Good Hunting!

"Firepower - if it's not working, you're not using enough." ~ Military Proverb

"If at first you do succeed, you must've rolled a natural 20!"
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1419 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  20:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If we're taking EVERYTHING as canonical and, being nerds, of course we are.

Then the D&D children either died and got resurrected or the stories of their demise were greatly exaggerated due to them appearing post-Spellplague as twenty-somethings.

Perhaps getting shot forward in time.

Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  20:19:23  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I’d like it to be true but I’m just not buying it. I have watched those cartoons recently dozens of times with my kids and in the hundreds of miles the kids covered, dozens of kingdoms they got involved with or helped end a threat towards, not a single one resembled anything remotely known Realmsian. Could it have been unknown lands? Sure that would work I guess but only as a major stretch.

I do like them there though. If there is a way to story them in I’m all for it. Maybe somewhere along the line someone will write a comic or story equivalent of Rogue One for the DND cartoon and the kids in the Realms. Maybe Ed! That would make me smile for certain

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  20:30:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You MIGHT turn that blacker bit of humor into something nicer if you say that AFTER they met Elminster is when.... in helping them... he discovered the path to our world. Maybe the reports of their deaths are exagerrated, and periodically like the kids in Narnia, they come back to Toril. Whenever they pass through, they may even revert to a younger age... like the Narnian children.

In fact, we actually aren't sure of what year the kids went TO the place they went to in the first place. We have images of a roller coaster, and we can see how their dressed... but that COULD have been from the 1960's... maybe? Ed was born in 1959. He "invented" the realms in his mind in the mid-60's. If he wanted to announce that Bobby the barbarian was really his friend growing up.... I'd go with it.. Or even if he announced that "Presto" was his nickname and THAT'S how he met Elminster (if that were the case and Presto was 14, that would put the date of going on the roller coaster ride to 1973). Would it be corny? Yes. Would I accept it? Yes.

Ironically... If Ed WERE supposed to be Presto... and if Presto supposedly appears in the new movie... then someone portraying Ed would be performing a cameo in the new movie. Or I might just be being silly.

Their hair and attire was 80's. And there's no way a D&D roller coaster would have existed in the 60's when D&D wasn't even around.

Presto and the others are definitely in the movie -- I've seen it twice.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Mar 2023 20:39:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  20:38:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They did make it home in the cartoon, in one episode. But Venger followed them and their weapons were useless in the real world, so they went back.

But also, in one episode, there was a girl who saw the future in her dreams -- and Dungeon Master showed Bobby her last dream before going home, and it was him greeting her at school and returning her necklace.

So if that did happen, maybe the kids did make it home, but decided for some reason not to stay, and either went back to the Realm and transited to the Realms from there, or they went to the Realms, instead.

(It should also be noted that the final episode ended with them having to choose between staying and redeeming Venger, or going home. This episode was never aired, though, and may not have even made it past the script stage, so I'm comfortable leaving it out of the equation.)

Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

499 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  22:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

They did make it home in the cartoon, in one episode. But Venger followed them and their weapons were useless in the real world, so they went back.

But also, in one episode, there was a girl who saw the future in her dreams -- and Dungeon Master showed Bobby her last dream before going home, and it was him greeting her at school and returning her necklace.

So if that did happen, maybe the kids did make it home, but decided for some reason not to stay, and either went back to the Realm and transited to the Realms from there, or they went to the Realms, instead.

(It should also be noted that the final episode ended with them having to choose between staying and redeeming Venger, or going home. This episode was never aired, though, and may not have even made it past the script stage, so I'm comfortable leaving it out of the equation.)

This.

quote:

And this.

Seeing something similar done by WotC would make me happy. But that would require work and time and heaven forbid research. The sad part is if the person in charge of this came here and asked for an info dump on the D&D cartoon, they would have some of the most knowledgeable sages doing most the work for them. They could pose as a DM looking for help for as much as I care.

Something like this happened with the Transformers Beast Wars cartoon in the 90s, after a season of making whatever the creators actually went to some boards on this new thing called the internet and found an online community that was big G1 fans and they started picking their brains and incorporated a lot of it into the following seasons. It made that show amazing.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  22:45:08  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm wondering how many people here have read the comic in question, which is available digitally, isn't that expensive, and is rather short, because points brought up here in this thread are answered in the comic itself already.

The comic makes it clear the cartoon was supposedly set in the Forgotten Realms all along, as I mentioned in my original post. Furthermore, the kids themselves in the comic call the land they're in the Forgotten Realms, which is really strange since in-universe no one describes their world that way, they say Toril, Faerun, etc.

The comic also makes it clear that the kids are from early 1980s Earth in the first page. Not 1960s or whatever. Even more interesting is that in the Grand History of the Realms, as seen at https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/1357_DR , 1357 DR was equated with Earth 1987. Meaning that if you do the math, the kids had to have been running around circa 1350 DR something in the Forgotten Realms (the kids' ages are given in the comic, which indicate that no more than a year has passed since their initial arrival).

They teleport to Waterdeep at comic's end, but it's not clear if it's meant to be another planet or just a new city in the same world.

Abeir might work as a retcon, if you count it as Forgotten Realms somehow, but isn't Abeir's sun supposed to be blue? The sun in the D&D cartoon isn't, I don't think.

If we follow 1357 DR equaling 1987, then the D&D movie takes place in the late 1490s DR, meaning the Earth year equivalent would be late 2090s. If these are the same D&D kids they'd be well over 100 years old.

Edited by - Master Katarn on 30 Mar 2023 22:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  23:14:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We also have them appearing in the 1370s Realms, though, given the Baldur's Gate reference and that atrocious Grand Tour comic. The only ways to fix that issue are to make them somehow very long-lived, or put them on ice for a while.

Given that the cartoon was clearly not set in the Forgotten Realms, and the stuff from the cartoon itself (like their promised return home), I'm sticking with them having gone home, spent time there, then left. It's possible that when they left Earth the third time -- maybe even using the same roller coaster -- it brought them to the Realms instead of the Realm.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 30 Mar 2023 23:15:07
Go to Top of Page

Master Katarn
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2023 :  23:52:35  Show Profile  Visit Master Katarn's Homepage Send Master Katarn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We also have them appearing in the 1370s Realms, though, given the Baldur's Gate reference and that atrocious Grand Tour comic. The only ways to fix that issue are to make them somehow very long-lived, or put them on ice for a while.

Given that the cartoon was clearly not set in the Forgotten Realms, and the stuff from the cartoon itself (like their promised return home), I'm sticking with them having gone home, spent time there, then left. It's possible that when they left Earth the third time -- maybe even using the same roller coaster -- it brought them to the Realms instead of the Realm.

Pretty sure the Grand Tour comic is mid-1360s, and the Baldur's Gate reference is only a painting. They'd be 20 something, hardly problematic.

They outright go to Waterdeep at the end of the comic, which has to take place before Requiem. I assume we'll get more clues next issue if they show this to be 1300s Waterdeep or 1400s Waterdeep.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000