Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Sands of the Soul
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2002 :  22:15:31  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
well, i just finished Sands of the Soul in a day and a half, having had the weekend off i had alot of time to devote to reading.

my thoughts,

i have to say it was good book. on par with heirs of prophecy or Shattered Mask, but not up with Shadows Witness or Black Wolf.

good story, Tazi's tale this time. it tied up most of her loose ends and even gave a possible forshadowing to a cool future for the character. it was good.

anyone else?

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Edited by - ArcticKnight on 16 Nov 2002 00:57:43

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2002 :  08:16:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I havent read it yet (I doubt itll be in the shops over here in the UK for quite a few months, but thats my classic rant getting to me again )

From what you say, I cant wait to read it. I love the Sembia series so far, ive just finished Shattered Mask and I loved it!! Shadows Witness blew me away and although I was a bit dubious at first about Shattered Mask, I was very very pleased with it, so if Black Wolf is even better and Sands of the Soul is as good as, then im beside myself with excitement!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Voronica Whitney-Robinson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  21:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ArcticKnight

well, i just finished Sands of the Soul in a day and a half, having had the weekend off i had alot of time to devote to reading.

my thoughts,

i have to say it was good but just that, a good book. on par with heirs of prophecy or Shattered Mask, but not up with Shadows Witness or Black Wolf.

good story, Tazi's tale this time. it tied up most of her loose ends and even gave a possible forshadowing to a cool future for the character, but there was little excitement.

other then that , it was good.

anyone else?

Sorry there wasn't enough excitement for you, but I'm glad you managed to enjoy it anyhow. And there is more in store for Tazi...
V.

Edited by - Voronica Whitney-Robinson on 14 Nov 2002 21:42:22
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  22:13:33  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol my post does sound a bit wrong. context + internet = trouble.

i didnt mean it to sound that i had to TRY to enjoy the book, not at all , i dont read a book in a day because it sucks. i have NOTHING but praises for the book.

and dont even get me started on "Spectre of the Black Rose", LOVED IT!!!!

and i take it back about there not being any excitement, really, im not just saying that because u took the time to post here. it sounds wrong and i didnt elaborate to why i said it, which i should have.

there was excitement in the book, but more of the intellectual type as apposed to the Hack-n-Slash variety which seems to be the norm for FR books. (SPOILER COMING).................

altho the death of Ebeian was quite hack and slash,lol

so in the end, i just want u to know that i liked the books alot and will sing its praises along with the rest of the series for a long time. i mean it when i say that the series and its characters got me into the realms again.

(SPOILER AGAIN)

also if you could, the part where shamur was spying on Cale and Tazi seemed kind of out of place, did that(the love letter) get added to Mr. Kemps novel and didnt fit into your story or are u saving that for Tazi's "future" novels?

thanx again and i apologize for sounding negative towards your novel.

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2002 :  23:15:53  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

and i take it back about there not being any excitement, really, im not just saying that because u took the time to post here. it sounds wrong and i didnt elaborate to why i said it, which i should have.

there was excitement in the book, but more of the intellectual type as apposed to the Hack-n-Slash variety which seems to be the norm for FR books. (SPOILER COMING).................

altho the death of Ebeian was quite hack and slash,lol

so in the end, i just want u to know that i liked the books alot and will sing its praises along with the rest of the series for a long time. i mean it when i say that the series and its characters got me into the realms again.

(SPOILER AGAIN)

also if you could, the part where shamur was spying on Cale and Tazi seemed kind of out of place, did that(the love letter) get added to Mr. Kemps novel and didnt fit into your story or are u saving that for Tazi's "future" novels?

thanx again and i apologize for sounding negative towards your novel.

Dear ArcticKnight,

Thanks for the elaboration! I didn't think your comment was negative, but I was curious about why you didn't think it was too exciting. One of the reasons I (and I suspect the other authors, although I do not presume to speak for them)do read and post to these boards is to see how a body of work is received and why it does and doesn't work for folks. As I work on upcoming projects, I'd like to think I'm doing something that both works for me and is something the reader is going to ultimately enjoy. These forums can be a good sounding board for that.

Spoiler...

Regarding the love letter--Paul Kemp had Cale leave behind his romantic confession for Tazi in his novel, Shadow's Witness. In the subsequent novels (Shattered Mask, Black Wolf, Heirs of Prophecy), no one touched on the subject. I felt the confession was a big revelation and the only logical reason no one (Tazi, Cale, etc.) was talking about it was because Tazi never received the touching missive. I felt this had to be addressed. IMO, Shamur was the logical choice as to who the interceptor must have been. She was acting, at that time, in what she believed was her daughter's best interests and maintaining her family's standing in Selgaunt soceity at the same time. By destroying the note, Tazi and Cale's future together is uncertain and full of possibilities and/or heartbreak. Of course, the path of true love never runs smooth, so why should it be different for these special individuals...

Another spoiler (sort of)...

While the note, or lack there of, definitely plays a part in Tazi's future, so will the events of Dave Gross's next Sembian book, The Lord of Stormweather. Things are definitely going to be different for this Sembian family after that...

And thank you for taking the time to post your honest opinions!

V

V.

A friend will help you move.
A real friend will help you move a body...

Visit http://www.voronica.com to see what else I've been up to.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  09:54:27  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you as well Veronica for sharing your view and taking your time to view/listen to the FR fans all over the world. The same goes for Thomas who I seen posting on the forum as well.

I can't yet comment on your novel (it's on order), but I am looking forward to it and if the first books of the series are any indication, I'll probably love it.

The only misgiving (for lack of a better term) I have had on the series is the Heirs of Prophecy novel. I found it to be stretching disbelief (hehehe... it is possible in a fantasy world ). The events in which the characters became drawn looked to me like to be out of scope in what the family had been embroiled into so far.

Were the previous events more personal related and smaller of scope, the events in Heirs of Prophecy get involved in more worldy problems of a magnitude that IMO did not fit in with the rest of the series. It was a bit too artifical, though the idea of the lost twin was very intrigueing. The rest of the series has a more dark, nitty gritty feel, and HoP was more like average high fantasy.

Just my 2cp on the series. Overall a very well done project and I'd love to see more of the same style and quality novels emerge in the months/years to come.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  10:05:08  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Voronica!
Its really good to see FR authors posting to this board, I didnt think they bothered with looking anywhere other than the official WotC boards!
Anyway, I havent read Sands of the Soul yet (being as WotC have a serious distribution problem with getting their novels over to the UK (its an ancient rant of mine )) but I am REALLY looking forward to it! I love Tazi's character, along with Erevis she ranks highly in my favorite FR characters of all time, and thats BEFORE ive read a novel dedicated to her!!
Can you tell us whats in store for the future of your writing of Tazi? Will there be another novel about her? Maybe a trilogy in the same way that Paul S Kemp is writing the Erevis Cale Trilogy?

Thanks again for your time. Hope you enjoy the forums.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  16:58:50  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The reason I found my way over to this forum is because of ArcticKnight. In the midst of an unfortunate thread on the WotC board involving my colleague, Elaine Cunningham, ArcticKnight mentioned this forum and I thought it was worth looking into. And it was!

As for Tazi, you can look for a new novel about her appearing at the end of 2003, probably in time for Christmas (unless you live in the UK, by the sound of your ancient rant Here's a link that will let you read the prologue, chapter one and half of chapter two of Sands while you wait http://www.wizards.com/books/dnd/samples/886220000.pdf). And her future...

Well, I've enjoyed writing about her. If folks like reading about her and sales reflect that (not trying to sound crass, but realistic), I'm sure her future will look bright- or as bright as anyone's can be in the turmoil and change that is Faerun.

I'm looking forward to hearing what folks over here have to say

Take care,
V.

V.

Edited by - Voronica Whitney-Robinson on 15 Nov 2002 17:27:59
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2002 :  18:08:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Voronica, now youve really got me anxious to read your novel

Im really excited about the whole Sembia series as what ive read so far has been very enjoyable. The idea of the first book giving short stories on each of the characters and then furthering the story of each character in their own novel is excellent. The way that the events overlap from one book to another has been done really well.

IMO, a very pleasing novel series from WotC so far!

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 15 Nov 2002 18:08:43
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  01:07:02  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thougth that it was odd that you and Thomas Reid both showed up here on the same day. i completely forgot about posting that. well im glad i could do some good.

Arcticknight

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  04:07:35  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Voronica Whitney-Robinson

As for Tazi, you can look for a new novel about her appearing at the end of 2003, probably in time for Christmas (unless you live in the UK, by the sound of your ancient rant

Hmm... care to give details? Like the Book/series name? Is it possibly the thieves series or such as it's out in december?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  10:06:56  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good thinking Zacas! I never had thought of that, Id bet that Tazi will appear in the Thieves Series! It would surely make sense!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  17:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Clever crowd around here! Of course, I expected no less.

Tazi's next escapade will be chronicled in the Rouges Series. This is not another Sembian book, so you can expect to see her in unfamiliar territories. Well, unfamiliar to her, at any rate. And while I can't say much more, I believe it has been a long time since anyone wrote, in depth, about where she'll be heading.

V.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  17:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, sounds really good! Youre making me even hungrier for this novel

Are you already writing this novel or is it just at the planning stage? Dont suppose theres any point in me asking the novels title and release date?!

I love the thief class, its my second favorite class, second to only the Ranger class. I really cant wait for this new Thieves series ::drool::

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  17:28:05  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, one just one thing, I managed to locate a copy of Sands of the Soul today!!! WOW! I couldnt believe it, ive actually laid my hands on a WotC novel in the same month it was released, not 3 months later!!!

Im beside myself with excitement at getting stuck into Sands of the Soul. Ill post a review up on the site once ive read it (dont hold your breath though, ive only just finished Shattered Mask and need to rush through Black Wolf and Heirs of Prophecy first

Anyone else wanna post up some reviews? Maybe submit them to "The Scribes Desk" on the site

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  18:12:43  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Are you already writing this novel or is it just at the planning stage? Dont suppose theres any point in me asking the novels title and release date?!

I love the thief class, its my second favorite class, second to only the Ranger class. I really cant wait for this new Thieves series ::drool::

Sorry...I'm really not trying to be a tease. I'll check with my editor about what I can and can't say.

It is supposed to come out in November of '03 and I do have a working title for it. And I am in the process of writing it even as we "speak".

Let me know what you think of Sands.

Take care!

V.

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  18:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Sands of the Soul myself. Good book. Can I safely infer that Steorf is or seriously thinking of following Shar? It's good to see that Tazi has pretty much got herself together again now. Her further adventures should prove interesting. Keep up the good work--we're far from being tired of the realms yet
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2002 :  19:43:26  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Spoiler (sort of)....

I will definitely say that it sure looks as though Steorf is a mage who is keeping his options open. How's that for an absolutely non-committal type of answer?

Glad to hear folks aren't tired yet. I know I'm going to do my part and try and make sure it stays interesting!

V.

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2002 :  00:01:54  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so you can expect to see her in unfamiliar territories. Well, unfamiliar to her, at any rate. And while I can't say much more, I believe it has been a long time since anyone wrote, in depth, about where she'll be heading.

Ummm.. somewhere "west" maybe??
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2002 :  00:12:10  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooo ooo--any chance of her meeting Jack Ravenwild???
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2002 :  01:37:36  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tazi's next escapade will be chronicled in the Rouges Series.

Hmm.. "Rogues Series" Okay... hrm... which is it... Rogues series or thieves series? :P People gotta get their stories straight...
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2002 :  01:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bellua Aeneus Lacerta

Ummm.. somewhere "west" maybe??

Maybe...or it could be somewhere even more unapproachable.

As for the title of the series, my paperwork lists this as a book in the "Rouges" series. Not set in stone, mind you, but pretty close to it...

Take care!

V.

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2002 :  14:19:43  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess this is why they call them "teasers"

AAACK!!
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  10:57:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br
Maybe...or it could be somewhere even more unapproachable.

LOL, teaser indeed... nice coincedence(?) with the announced detailing of the Unapproachable East in the regional expansions...
Go to Top of Page

Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  14:14:27  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

LOL, teaser indeed... nice coincedence(?) with the announced detailing of the Unapproachable East in the regional expansions...

Now that would be a coincidence, wouldn't it, if that's where the novel takes place...tease, tease, tease!

V.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2002 :  14:52:56  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ROTFLOL, if you put the same amount of good humor in your books, I'm sure I'm going to love reading them.

Patience is a virtue and my shield against teasers... Ehm, now did someone say when the book hit the stores in Europe...

Edited by - Mumadar Ibn Huzal on 18 Nov 2002 14:54:20
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2002 :  03:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Another spoiler (sort of)...

While the note, or lack there of, definitely plays a part in Tazi's future, so will the events of Dave Gross's next Sembian book, The Lord of Stormweather. Things are definitely going to be different for this Sembian family after that...

V

One of the great pleasures of being a part of the Sembia series has been the sharing of Stormweather Towers and all the little dramas between those who live there. Writing Lord of Stormweather was particularly fun because all of the other writers (Hi, Voronica!) had laid such intriguing pipe earlier in the saga. Cale's letter to Tazi was definitely one of the most tempting, and those who have been paying close attention will detect its ripple effects in Lord of Stormweather.

Cheers,

Dave

P.S. In answer to an earlier speculation, I hadn't posted here earlier because I didn't know the boards existed before today!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2002 :  21:04:54  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok this novel has been out a few weeks now, has anyone else got around to reading this year and what are your views? Im personally looking forward to starting the novel as ive loved the Sembia series up to now (about 75% through Black Wolf). Where would you rate Sands of the Soul amongst the other novels too?

Interested to hear all your comments on this.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  10:43:56  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Ok this novel has been out a few weeks now, has anyone else got around to reading this year and what are your views? Im personally looking forward to starting the novel as ive loved the Sembia series up to now (about 75% through Black Wolf). Where would you rate Sands of the Soul amongst the other novels too?

Interested to hear all your comments on this.

Just finished reading Sands of the Soul and the complete Return of the Archwizards series this weekend. And I must say, Sands of the Soul is definitely on par with the first books of the series (so far my only personal disappointment in the series is Heirs of Prophecy). The book is a nice read, and keeps in line with the general 'mood' of the series.

I know Voronica is on the forum, and maybe she can comment to one little dissatisfaction I have with the book: At some point during the novel there's a familiar Realms person talking to an angry black dragon. For me this came across as a disappointment, though I was still enjoying the rest of the book. This bearded guy already shows up everywhere (I wonder if there's any conflicting time segements considering that fact...), IMO that little scene would have better been left out, or maybe using another 'famous' Realms character. Otherwise great book, thumbs up.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  11:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, thats pretty good going Mumadar! How do you find the time?!

I also loved Sands of the Soul, a much different approach to Tazi than id expected! Id expected a stereotypical "rogue on the rooftops of Selgaunt" style of story but it was far from it....and a pleasant change from the norm! Heirs of Prophecy didnt gel well with me either, Larajin got what she wanted all the time which made it appear a little unrealistic (if thats possible in a fantasy novel )

You may now be interested in the interview with Voronica after reading her novel.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2003 :  15:25:37  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

You may now be interested in the interview with Voronica after reading her novel.

Read the interview, wonderful. And thanks to Voronica and the oter authors in spending a little time to enlighten us.

In the interview Voronica tells about having woven real-life experiences from Africa into the story, and though I haven't visited the area myself (documentaries help though), Calimport and the Calim desert definitely feel authentic.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000