Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 is there a "special" novel that has that..
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DeadStar
Acolyte

Portugal
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  16:51:37  Show Profile  Visit DeadStar's Homepage Send DeadStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
authentic and "old" feel to it? dont know if you're getting my point. like if it was a book that you yourself found somewhere in a dungeon, dusty and moldy, realistic, blah blah blah. maybe a bit like the D&D handbooks/corebooks (i think; i never owned or picked one so i'm just guessing they are like how i described, from some user reviews).

if there's no forgotten realms novel like that, is there any novel AT ALL? wether fr or not, i just want one like that. but it better damn be fantasy ;P

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  17:37:33  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You mean, a novel with ponderous, faux-archaic and pretentious prose in omniscient third person? I can direct you to plenty of badly written amateur fantasy for that.

If not, then be clearer, please.
Go to Top of Page

DeadStar
Acolyte

Portugal
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  18:27:06  Show Profile  Visit DeadStar's Homepage Send DeadStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
all that except the "badly written amateur" part.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  19:34:49  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go read Malory or Chaucer, then. As authentic as you can get and then some.

Edited by - Winterfox on 05 Aug 2006 19:36:39
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  19:50:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'll also learn some ...was it middle english? reading Chauser...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

DeadStar
Acolyte

Portugal
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  20:03:23  Show Profile  Visit DeadStar's Homepage Send DeadStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
btw, what i described in the first post was about the book itself as an object, not the contents. you know, the cover, the printing, pages... not the text.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  20:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The nearest to a reproduction Realms artefact is perhaps Aurora's Whole Realms Catalogue, though it's softback (and far too late-nineteenth-century-looking). Black Library publishes this kind of thing for the Warhammer world, such as The Life of Sigmar.

Yes, Chaucer is Middle English.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  21:18:19  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DeadStar

btw, what i described in the first post was about the book itself as an object, not the contents. you know, the cover, the printing, pages... not the text.

Uhm.

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

You mean, a novel with ponderous, faux-archaic and pretentious prose in omniscient third person? I can direct you to plenty of badly written amateur fantasy for that.

quote:

all that except the "badly written amateur" part.

My kingdom for clear communication.
Go to Top of Page

DeadStar
Acolyte

Portugal
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  21:24:49  Show Profile  Visit DeadStar's Homepage Send DeadStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
you have no kindgom
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  22:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Certainly not, on account of having no idea what a "kindgom" is.
Go to Top of Page

DeadStar
Acolyte

Portugal
6 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  22:18:08  Show Profile  Visit DeadStar's Homepage Send DeadStar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my bad, i meant kind gnome.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2006 :  22:18:25  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ack! Winterfox!

Be nice. ;)

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Ignorance Personified
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:24:51  Show Profile  Visit Ignorance Personified's Homepage Send Ignorance Personified a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

authentic and "old" feel to it? dont know if you're getting my point. like if it was a book that you yourself found somewhere in a dungeon, dusty and moldy, realistic, blah blah blah. maybe a bit like the D&D handbooks/corebooks (i think; i never owned or picked one so i'm just guessing they are like how i described, from some user reviews).

if there's no forgotten realms novel like that, is there any novel AT ALL? wether fr or not, i just want one like that. but it better damn be fantasy ;P

I cannot think of any FR novel that is published in the manner you specify, but...

Try looking through the numerous editions of The Lord of the Rings that have been published on Amazon and other internet sites. In addition, E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros and T.H. White's The Once and Future King have most likely been published in the format you describe at some point.

If none of these options work, then try looking for Homer's epics, Ovid's Metamorphoses or Virgil's The Aenied or Beowulf or The Epic of Gilgamesh or Appolonios Rhodios' The Argonautika... (in any translation you find acceptable). I am sure you will find some edition that suits your tastes--although the price almost certainly will not.

Carthago delenda est.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2006 :  03:34:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I noticed that the FRCS sorta kinda looks like a "real book".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2006 :  07:29:02  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horselords kinda felt like an old tale.
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  01:36:40  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ignorance Personified

quote:

I cannot think of any FR novel that is published in the manner you specify, but...

Try looking through the numerous editions of The Lord of the Rings that have been published on Amazon and other internet sites. In addition, E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros and T.H. White's The Once and Future King have most likely been published in the format you describe at some point.

If none of these options work, then try looking for Homer's epics, Ovid's Metamorphoses or Virgil's The Aenied or Beowulf or The Epic of Gilgamesh or Appolonios Rhodios' The Argonautika... (in any translation you find acceptable). I am sure you will find some edition that suits your tastes--although the price almost certainly will not.

All those are good choices, that is, if you can stand old english and constant use of poetry. I read Beowulf myself and I can tell you it definatly has an old feel to it.

Oh, and if you can get them, try even obtaining some far east epics, like the Ramayana and Mahaberatba(I think that is how you spell it, anyway, its a story on Krishna.)And if you want to go really rare, add The Book of Enoch and the original, non-king James modified Bible.

"The Lady of Pain? You mean Loviatar runs this place?"
-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
-- A miscillaneous Kender to a member of the Horned Society
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  01:50:37  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mahabharata.

Good read.

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  01:52:43  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan

Mahabharata.

Good read.

Yeah, I have read the shortened(I mean waaaayyyy shortened) version at my Indian friend's house. Love the overall plot.

Never have read the unshortened version though.(then again, that is pretty long)

-- Torilian Prime

"You guys should seriously rename yourselves The Horny Society, you popularity would soar."
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  03:23:47  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The unshortened version, I think, si the longest Epic ever written. I haven't read it myself, but would be interested one day in reading a not-so-shortened version.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  07:20:54  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
lol winterfox you have never seemed... ...your always....so sassy and like...dont mess with me...be nice lol

Unofficial Random Hiatus Taker.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2006 :  19:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Genis

lol winterfox you have never seemed... ...your always....so sassy and like...dont mess with me...be nice lol

I'm sorry, but this post has what to do with the topic exactly?
Go to Top of Page

FridayThe13th
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  05:26:32  Show Profile  Visit FridayThe13th's Homepage Send FridayThe13th a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok people, lets get back on topic shall we. If you are a big LOTR fan, you should check out The Silmarillion by J.R.R Tolkien. Iy is a great book that bascically details the entire first age of Middle-Earth with all the wars between the Valar and Morgoth the enemy. It is written in old-english and the mythology and philosophy behind it is quite cool.

-- Torilian Prime

Go to Top of Page

quajack
Seeker

86 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:11:28  Show Profile  Visit quajack's Homepage Send quajack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want a book to feel and appear old and musty, leave it in an undehumidified basement for a month.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  07:15:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You just made a book-lover cry quajack.

E.R. Eddison and Lord Dunsany would be my best advise; great books from the days before Tolkien. I still don't quite get what your looking for here though. Why not just pick up some old legends and medieval tales if that's the type of stories your looking for.

Edited by - Jorkens on 12 Aug 2006 12:33:02
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2006 :  11:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by FridayThe13th

It is written in old-english and the mythology and philosophy behind it is quite cool.

Uhm. No. Not in Old English. Not even Middle English. The Silm's written in plain, uncoded Modern English.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2006 :  01:17:47  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

Someone needs to read some Chaucer!

"Abrille" = April
"Drought" = Rain (?!)

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000