Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 First Impression on NeverWinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2013 :  21:15:50  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
God damn.....

I forgot how much I missed DDO

6 races, 5 classes, huge back story selection , Ha vent...started the game yet, but I am giddy

Second input : Okay ...starting from a shipwreck, just like DDO ... interesting but okay... Graphics are okay, am playing on the lowest setting , and instead of making everything low rez, it just makes them fuzzy. Chracters speak well, some bugs still on how characters interact with NPCs.

Suggestion: Don't keep clicking with your mouse, use your number keys to make selections.

third input : Good lord laptop getting hot already after 7 mins of play, laggy but first day, as to be expected. Character dimension dooring all over the place due to lag XD

Suggestion: If it says to use the F key to grab something, use the damn F key, double clicking with your mouth seems to take it longer to get what you want.

Fourth Input: Wow, Loving this dimension door, ooo yeah what am I? I am a female dwarf cleric of kelmvor ((whatever his name is spelled like)), So it seems the attack system is simplified from the old wow piano keyboard syndrome, and we have QWE and then left and right mouse click .

Suggestion: Your going to be jumping about allot, walk around some to get the server to get you to the spot you want, and press F sometimes takes a few tries for a NPC or quest to recognize you are near.

5th input : Wow, they are really using lore and not just abusing a D&D IP........yay!

6th input: Lagggy..llagggy..laggggy , but still enjoying it does this make me a fanboy?

7th input : The combat is not like wow, where you hold still and press buttons, you can dodge ranged and spell attacks have lil red outlines that show up, so gives you a chance to get out of the area. No clue how that interacts with PVP , but PVE combat is good and solid.

As playing as a cleric, I did not feel like just a heal bot, I was throwing bolts and thinking I was ZEUS, once I got to the bridge section of combat, I was jumping around and dodging ranged attacks while avoiding zombies , and summoning an angel to bring the smack down on the big brutes and the boss warlock.

Suggestoin: While jumping makes me feel better on dodging, I know it really does nothing.

BREAK TIME!!!

Edited by - silverwolfer on 30 Apr 2013 21:38:32

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2013 :  05:39:02  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
8th Input, well......in que..

Suggestion: Make a sandwhich lol...

impression 9

Cities are a lil to "big" to much walking between points, the combat zones are nice thou

impression 10

The combat really is awesome, cleric plays as a sort of ranged caster

impression 11

This game is really not meant for all nighters.. think am going to stick to half n hour or hour spurts.
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  02:35:08  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this a new game or one of the old ones?

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  03:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which races are playable? I haven't been able to find a page on the game that lists anything other than "six playable races".

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

TheHermit
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  03:08:46  Show Profile  Visit TheHermit's Homepage Send TheHermit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulduron

Is this a new game or one of the old ones?

The Neverwinter MMO just opened for Open Beta in the last few days.

- "Glitz & Klax's Potions & Elixirs"/"The Sandmen", Inside Ravens Bluff, The Living City; 1990; TSR, Inc.
- "The Far Guardians' Traveler's Mission", Port of Ravens Bluff; 1991, TSR, Inc.
- "Signs Painted", Polyhedron #70; April, 1992; TSR, Inc.
- Communications Director, Coliseum of Comics, Orlando, FL - http://coliseumofcomics.com/
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  03:17:32  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Double clicking with your mouth does indeed seem time intensive
Go to Top of Page

Aulduron
Learned Scribe

USA
343 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  03:56:04  Show Profile Send Aulduron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang. I was hoping it was another one player thing.

"Those with talent become wizards, Those without talent spend their lives praying for it"

-Procopio Septus
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  06:34:35  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
dwarf, tiefling , elf, half elf, human , halfling , "drow"

It does play sort of one playerish, very solable with the right class at least so far.
Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  13:34:17  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does it use 4th ed rules?
Go to Top of Page

Renin
Learned Scribe

USA
290 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  14:09:00  Show Profile Send Renin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The 4 minute preview movie was amazing, at the very least!

They got right up to the lip of the uncanny valley, but never crossed over! I'd watch a 2 hour Neverwinter movie instead of play the game if it looked like that. :D
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  15:09:47  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went to the site to see the video, and the very first sentence I read had the word 'spellplague' in it.

Interest = GONE

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Doge
Seeker

73 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  15:26:08  Show Profile Send Doge a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Went to the site to see the video, and the very first sentence I read had the word 'spellplague' in it.

Interest = GONE

Guess that answers my question. Haha. I'm with Markustay on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  17:16:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, to be fair I realized the site I went to - which for some reason came up as the first one on the list - was not an 'official' site for the game, but rather MORPGs in general. This was the site.

The second site was the official one, and the trailer does look pretty good, and the idea that we can turn it into a sandbox for our own creations REALLY has my interest peaked.

I am going to have to assume that it is either 4e rules, or 5e is going to be based heavily on 4e, because they refer to the mage as the 'Wizard Controller'. {sigh}

I guess 5e will be a 'cleverly' disguised, re-packaged version of 4e. Oh well... I kinda figured as much. The right heads never rolled...

Anyhow, I will give this a try - it looks intriguing, and it is The Forgotten Realms. I'll just try to overlook the fact that it isn't the Realms I fell in love with.

EDIT: Its even got Diablo lol - he appears around 2:03
I guess turn-about is fair play - they did steal Lolth for Diablo3

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 02 May 2013 17:20:15
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  17:42:39  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Incidentally, Diablo III is the game closest to Neverwinter in terms of feel, gameplay, design and all that. For me, as mentioned offthread, not good. It uses modified 4th Ed rules, but barely. Spellplague is not relevant in the game, it takes place after and is barely mentioned. So far, at least (level 17)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  18:11:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I understand, Diablo3 is like the biggest flop ever - the fans (of that franchise) are still ranting about it. Both my older boys pre-ordered it and had it the day it came out; the younger of the two even bought a new computer just to play it. Neither of them touched it again after the first few days.

Which saved me from having to buy it.

I am still trying to download this - an hour later and I am only at 12%.

Edited by - Markustay on 02 May 2013 18:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  18:39:59  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is only vaguely influenced by the 4e rules. The 4e rules were built for mmo compatiblity and yet they managed to screw that up too. I'll get around to trying the game, although I'm scepical that I'll enjoy it.

The OP mentions being a Cleric of Kelemvor, does this mean Clerics have deity selection?
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  20:09:36  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nevermind my comment about the spellplague - very next quest I did after posting involved the Spellplague (not that I know what it really entails). Hehe.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  20:11:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All characters select a deity but its just for flavor - I assume; I play a Guardian (incidentally, also belonging to Kelemvor). Maybe clerics have mechanics for their deities, I don't know. Neither the cleric nor the wizard class were appealing the way they are in this game, especially not the wizard where you have to walk around with a stupid globe following you at head's height, really annoying.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  21:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got to level 20 which was nice for now I can ride a horse which speeds up my slow guardian considerably :) so why am I still playing after complaining about the game? There is *some* allure to it; some of the dungeon designs lately have been very nice, one tower specifically reminded me of a ruin from one of the Icewind Dale games. Gotta love some nice, varied dungeons..
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  21:59:47  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave it a try, my biggest complain so far, when a character is created, you can only choose 9 gods and none of them is evil, yes you are forced to take one.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  23:20:15  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
wah wah wah , Mr Hero, can't be evil.

hahahahah

Anyways, yes I would say it feels more like a storyline, then a MMO.
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2013 :  23:43:40  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really liking it. For one, I seriously dislike the combat system. They were advertising the game as being made by D&D players and recreating the D&D experience, but that's not how D&D plays out. Your chances of hitting aren't dependent on how you orient your miniature on a grid so that the enemy is caught in your frontal attack arc. Your chances of hitting are dependent on a d20 roll. I vastly prefer NWN2's combat system over this. Nevermind that I hate that I have to click the F key to pick something up or interact with something instead of clicking on it with my left mouse button, which is instead my attack.

I also really dislike the limited class choices (I also had to laugh when their video talked about "classic" D&D classes, and then ran off the list of those "classic" classes. "Guardian Fighter", "Trickster Rogue", "Control Wizard", etc. They have a funny notion of what constitutes classic). Where's the Barbarian? The Bard? The Druid? The Paladin? The Ranger? And I expected their character creation to be superior to what NWN2 offers, but while it had more options, I found that it produced worse looking characters (subjective opinion on my part, of course). More than that, despite the large number of options, they didn't seem to make the characters look all that different. As bizarre as it sounds, the characters look far too alike no matter what options you employ.

There're some other things about it which I really dislike, but there's no point going into it. Suffice to say, I really regret spending the $60 for that Founders Pack I purchased last week (Thankfully I had the good sense not to buy the $200 one. I don't care for playing Drow, so it held no appeal to me. That being said, that's one aspect about it that I DO like. I love the idea of soaking the people who want to play a Drizzt clone $200 so they can make their Drow with panther companion. :D).

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2013 :  02:28:38  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Gods are only fluff yet they only have 9?

I hate to say this but even the facebook d&d FR was better then this. I want no part of this blasphamy :p
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2013 :  08:06:02  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It *does* feel like a Facebook game, only glorified with action and, you know, actual gameplay and graphics. You can even log onto a website to hit the "Crafting" button every once in a while. But still, as negative as I've been, once you're through the first fifteen or so levels the game does get more interesting (for the kind of game it is) and has kept my interest longer than Diablo III ever did. I regret spending that money on the founder pack as well, but not as much as I did during the closed betas.

If anyone wants to join up and create a Candlekeep guild (preferably RP guild at that), let's meet up in game and go to the guild registrar in the Protector's Enclave. I am Aghelm Shadowheart.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Bane
Senior Scribe

Germany
479 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2013 :  08:55:32  Show Profile Send Lord Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

wah wah wah , Mr Hero, can't be evil.

hahahahah

Oh i can be evil, nobody is stopping me to be so you´d better hold your tounge lest you wish to lose it

It just takes away roleplaying elements if you are forced to pick a non evil deity. Such i call taking away freedom from players.
As Gyor said, the deities are "fluff" yet they are limited to 9 and none is evil, they do not have any impact on the game otherwise yet only putting in 9 is a lazy move imo.

The driving force in the multiverse is evil, for it forces good to act.

Edited by - Lord Bane on 03 May 2013 08:56:02
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2013 :  15:03:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only interesting thing to me is the Foundry which allows players to make quests. Besides that I think my time playing Star Wars The Old Republic spoiled me. The voice acting in NWN is not really good, everyone does the same quests, and the monetary system is complex. For example, you have the standard D&D currency to buy basic things, then Astral Diamonds to buy non-mundane items, then two types of celestial coins to purchase certain types of rare potions or scrolls, and finally the ZEN currency which uses real dollars to purchase...hell I don't know I didn't use it in Closed Beta. It is now Open beta, I still don't plan on forking over real money until the product is finished.

Now I have had time to type everything out...I'll stick to Star Wars until Shroud of the Avatar rolls around.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2013 :  15:55:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lets try to remember it is a Beta, and they want helpful feedback about those things that need to be addressed, not criticism on a game that isn't even finished yet.

As of right now there are probably only 9 gods because they are currently 'merely fluff' - I am sure if everyone has to pick a deity, then at some point this will become important. As of now, they aren't, so 9 gods are 9 more then we actually need (at this time).

I would like to see more variation between characters, quests, etc. The monetary system is indeed WAY too complicated. As an 'armchair designer' I know precisely why they did this (for the same reason they had to separate 'language points' from other skills in past editions), but it is extremely clunky - hopefully they will find a better solution.

Grammatical Correction

Edited by - Markustay on 04 May 2013 13:46:41
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4427 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2013 :  22:15:30  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am going to have to assume that it is either 4e rules, or 5e is going to be based heavily on 4e, because they refer to the mage as the 'Wizard Controller'. {sigh}

Yes, it is loosely based on 4E rules. From the trailers I've seen, they really only take the names from the powers and implement their own quasi-magical effects. For example, the Guardian Fighter gets Terrifying Impact at 1st level which is a power where he slams his weapon on the ground and chunks of earth explode out, knock down all the enemies around him. It looks cool, but in no way represents the actual 4E exploit. In the 4E rules, Terrifying Impact is a 9th level exploit and says: "Giving an exultant battle cry, you pulverize an opponent and put the fear of impending doom in nearby foes." which basically means you hit a guy and make everyone around you scared and they back away 5-ft.

I'm sure there will be many such powers in the MMO that are fantastic or SUPER-GAMEY compared to the actual rules in 4E.

quote:

I guess 5e will be a 'cleverly' disguised, re-packaged version of 4e. Oh well... I kinda figured as much. The right heads never rolled...

I've been playtesting the D&D:Next rules and there's very little in there that actually resembles 4E. First, classes aren't structured the same (no AEDU mechanic). Classes don't have Healing Surges or proportional healing (gaining 25% of HP with a heal spell). Classes like the Fighter and Rogue don't get "at-wills" they just get schemes or options that further their character concept. Wizards still are on a daily-spell limit (no more encounter spells) but they do get cantrips which scale with level and are at-will. So I guess that's one thing thats similiar to 4E.

From the latest L&L articles, Feats and Skills will be optional as-per the table's decision as will the style of healing that will be used. DMs who want more gritty can limit healing to a regaining a few HP a day with 8-hrs of rest OR for a more fast pace style game where you regain all HP after only a few hours. (I Plan on using the Wound/Vitality system of d20 anyways).

So in short, yes the MMO is based on 4E but only loosely and no, 5E doesn't resemble 4E except in only a very few small areas. I often hear it resembles 3E more than any other edition, but that's probably to get the Pathfinder people to come back.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  02:17:58  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm enjoying the game. It's been fun so far. I have a smattering of characters in the mid-teens. As for the 5e commentary. If you take a look at the free playtest material, you'll quickly discern that it isn't really like 4e at all.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  03:49:32  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I just got done with my first instance,

slay all the monsters type, defend the city from a chosen of ghaundaur, lots of undead, and big brutes. Most the folk in my party never got much need for healing * I was the healer * was a random pug .

So my impressions, was nice to fight with others. No one chatted, but then again no one played stupid. I was a cleric, and the zombie horde was about... 10 or so mins with short wait times, I think were meant for regrouping, small time healing and the like.

It did exposure me to the mechanics a lil better for a cleric. Neverwinter, does not have mana as a mechanic, only cooldowns and counter points.

In this fight I had a healing/damage burst, which works nice for a horde, and a strong ray attack for single targets, when am not spamming my zeus spear for auto attacking. A new mechanic for this though ((I had just leveled up before the fight)) was my heals, which heals my target and myself, over time. I can spam to a max of three times, and I get new" points " to spend every 20 seconds. Meaning I can do light healing to keep someone up, or press the button multiple times and spread the love, but then have nothing to spend until the timer goes up and I get more tokens.

It was a nice change of pace, and just short enough to enjoy , with the lore on the quest actually kind of being awesome, as I never really hear about Ghaundaur that much.

Voice acting in this , I think will be a endearing draw, I like that it is horrible and memorable, with both groans and laughs, instead of being average and just a shrug.

Edited by - silverwolfer on 04 May 2013 03:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  13:57:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I find the voice-acting can make or break a game, at least for me. I have to wonder - who are they hiring for this? Professionals... or family members? Lots of games have great eye-candy these days - its going to take something else (great story and voice-overs, etc) to set one game apart from the pack.

On the other hand, the tools to build your own adventures may be the deciding factor with this one - the modding community has a way of making even a mediocre game successful if the right tools are there (the craptastic Minecraft, anyone?) I know I for one will be digging deep into the guts of this.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

As for the 5e commentary. If you take a look at the free playtest material, you'll quickly discern that it isn't really like 4e at all.
Well, to be fair, I gave up on the 5e playtest some time ago, so I wouldn't know what direction it is currently headed in.

I already have all the game systems I will ever need.

Edited by - Markustay on 04 May 2013 21:19:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000