Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 First Impression on NeverWinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  14:17:55  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder, if it will enable a pesudo modern DMing, you build adventures, and have your buds get on their computers and play the foundry quest you built.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  17:20:10  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had my doubts about whether I'd be able to play it, since my computer is pretty old. I had to deal with pink squares under everybody while in combat, and everybody had massive brown unibrows, but it's playable. I got to Protector's Enclave and then had a fatal glitch of some sort with the pixel shader. I'm kinda impressed that the game was somewhat able to adjust for a 15 yr old graphics card.

I noticed a couple of hiccups but they're minor. I think it was the Stealth ability said "Untranslated" in place of its tooltip. No biggie, although I didn't figure out how to use it or whether it was unlocked at a later level.

Motions of combat and running remind me strongly of PerfectWorld, which isn't a bad thing. I was pretty happy playing PW for a bit after dropping WoW.

Anyway, I only saw up to level 4 but it definitely looks to be a fun timesink. I agree that (some of) the voices are pretty terrible. I liked the Scottish dwarf, but the dramatic death speech of the Private who gets himself killed at the first boss wasn't so great.

Some fun times ahead, as soon as I can get my hands on a better computer.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  17:48:50  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You could try playing it on a commodore 64, think it might have better graphics then your computer, xae.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  19:50:45  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Yea, it's definitely a dinosaur. I did my homework, back in the day, and built a pretty decent machine. But that was uh... like 1998. Maybe the good luck I've had with the computer's longevity explains the questionable karma in other areas of life.

I think it's pretty cool that WoW works and I can also play PW without any problems other than lag, but... Neverwinter is disappoint.

Diablo 3 wouldn't even start. I was peeved at first, but from what I've read I would have been upset by a lot of the same things that other fans are upset about. So...

Anybody want to hire a wikiwriter so he can get a new computer and play Neverwinter?
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  20:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even the laptop I borrow from the office runs Neverwinter, you should be able to find an inexpensive machine if you wish to play more.ot sayong the game is the kind people upgrade their hardware for.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  20:21:30  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*not saying*

Edited by - Caladan Brood on 04 May 2013 21:56:55
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2013 :  23:35:10  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay I just rolled over laughing

Went up to an auction today, and the NPC was say

FOR SALE!!!

THE HAND OF VENCEA !

Wait...

Seriously?
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  08:35:06  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... would anyone recommend that I try this out? I love games, especially RPGs and especially ones like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and even the Neverwinter Nights games BUT I hate MMORPGs like WoW or Runescape where there is no real point except to grind and PvP. I don't want to be forced to interact with other players (so antisocial) and would prefer to be able to quest/adventure by myself.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  10:31:14  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Light

So... would anyone recommend that I try this out? I love games, especially RPGs and especially ones like Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale and even the Neverwinter Nights games BUT I hate MMORPGs like WoW or Runescape where there is no real point except to grind and PvP. I don't want to be forced to interact with other players (so antisocial) and would prefer to be able to quest/adventure by myself.

Given that you can try it out for free, yes. Free download, free gameplay, you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want to. So you may as well try it out. All you have to lose is time.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Light
Learned Scribe

Australia
231 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  11:55:08  Show Profile Send Light a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

quote:
Originally posted by Light

Given that you can try it out for free, yes. Free download, free gameplay, you don't have to pay for anything if you don't want to. So you may as well try it out. All you have to lose is time.

And my limited download data :D but I might as well do it sometime.

"A true warrior needs no sword" - Thors (Vinland Saga)
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  16:49:55  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm I don't generally play MMO's but I think I will download this once the finished version comes out.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  17:11:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They will probably charge for the finished version....

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  17:27:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Cynics unite!

It will almost undoubtedly remain free-to-play. It's a PerfectWorld game*, and that seems to be their favorite way of doing things.

They make their money by putting all the cool stuff in the shop where you have to spend real money.

* PerfectWorld and Cryptic... but PW owns Cryptic.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  17:53:26  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay first complaint

DAMNIT I want a better aiming system when I have to heal folks , it is like aiming at mexican jumping beans in a boss fight.
Go to Top of Page

farinal
Learned Scribe

Turkey
270 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  22:05:48  Show Profile Send farinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't change one minute of NWN2 PWs to this new MMO's lifetime membership.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  22:27:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The naming conventions are a bit too 'Earth-like'. What was that Justin Beiber wanna-be's name? Wilfred or some-such? His commander had a worse name - VERY un-FR, but I can't recall it now. I think it was the name of an old 70's talk show host. Anyway, glad Justin Beiber died... he was lame.

In fact, I don't think this city is worth saving - they just sent a waterlogged, unknown, half-orc castaway (Me) into their vaults to save their crown? REALLY?! What a bunch of morons... I stole far more then the Gnashers did (do they really gnash? Or do they just grind their teeth when they sleep?) I'm on the wrong side - I want to be attacking the city, not saving it. Darwin and all that... they need to die... I'm just helping evolution along.

As for the game, its okay. The graphics are a bit chunky, but that might just be my machine (its only a year old, but its no gaming rig). I tried upping the graphics and it slowed to a crawl, so it probably is my comp. Thus far, its extremely linear, not a whole lot of fun, and doesn't feel like D&D at all. I mean, I don't recall having to sit inside a campfire to heal (and why are their campfires inside dungeons?) the last time I played. And whats with all the different kits to open different types of 'chests' (I use that term loosely - some look more like piles of glop)?

I basically just point and click things to death. Supposedly I have all different abilities, but the interface is very unintuitive and I can't be bothered with trying to muck through it. I keep accidentally using my 'special power' because its next to the walk button on the keyboard (what brain surgeon came up with THAT layout?), so it is always uncharged for combat. Kinda useless. I also want to hit 'X' to interact with stuff. 'F' just doesn't cut it for me. I also prefer to use my arrows keys to move - there should be someway to customize the interface to the way you like to play. I am struggling trying to do it 'their way'.

Maybe I should just give up on games and get myself a cat. Then I can sit in my rocker with a nice shawl across my lap, talking about the way things used to be.

If you spot a half-orc babe running around in a bikini, thats me. I'm an exhibitionist, what can I say?

quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:

Cynics unite!

It will almost undoubtedly remain free-to-play. It's a PerfectWorld game*, and that seems to be their favorite way of doing things.

They make their money by putting all the cool stuff in the shop where you have to spend real money.

* PerfectWorld and Cryptic... but PW owns Cryptic.
Ah, okay... that's actually a business-model I had recommended for them awhile back (if anyone was listening). Its how Facebook, Disney, etc do it with their games. Game is free; 'kewl stuff' is extra.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 May 2013 22:31:34
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  23:06:20  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most MMO type games are using the "free-to-play" model now. The base game is free, the good items and sometimes even additional functionality are locked behind a pay-wall.

The key to a successful game now is a large player base, otherwise games have the server equivalent of ghost towns. Very few subscription based games have the clout to maintain the pay subscription model and the requisite large player base. A couple of dollars from some players across a huge following is better than fees levied from a very limited subscriber list.

This model was popular in MMO type games from Asia over a decade ago and is increasingly adopted by western games. Major games such as Star Wars The Old Republic have switched over from traditional subscription to free-to-play. Not to mention games conceived with this model in mind. Some of the biggest MMO type games have developed "e-Sports" divisions, including competitive and speculator aspects to play, users not only have involvement within game-play but maintain high engagement out-of-game.

I blinked out from any following of online games years ago and recently tuned in to see what was new. I discovered a lot has changed. There are massive communities built around these games. In part that is what WotC/D&D/Neverwinter has to compete with on the MMO/digital entertainment front.
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  23:21:24  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean compete with, comparedto other games. Or brings to the table becuase they are such with an already established following that are curious about an MMO created in their name?
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2013 :  23:21:48  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, if you don't like it you can always uninstall it afterwards.

And they're the "Nashers", not Gnashers, named after Nasher Alagondar, former lord of Neverwinter. And personally I was rooting for them. I say let them have the crown and find the true ruler of Neverwinter, because I don't care at all for Lord Neverember. Why is a Lord of Waterdeep running Neverwinter? It makes me feel like Neverwinter's an occupied city. Get those Waterdhavians out of my city!

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  01:05:39  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

quote:

Well, if you don't like it you can always uninstall it afterwards.

And they're the "Nashers", not Gnashers, named after Nasher Alagondar, former lord of Neverwinter. And personally I was rooting for them. I say let them have the crown and find the true ruler of Neverwinter, because I don't care at all for Lord Neverember. Why is a Lord of Waterdeep running Neverwinter? It makes me feel like Neverwinter's an occupied city. Get those Waterdhavians out of my city!

New Neverwinter

The New Neverwinter movement is gaining a foothold as Lord Dagult Neverember’s hired hands and goons patrol the streets and rebuild the city. Neverember ostensibly takes his role as protector seriously, sending his mercenaries to oust the orcs in the River District, repel plaguechanged monstrosities at the Wall, and otherwise keep the peace. The lord endeavors to lure home and win over Neverwinter’s refugee population. He is focusing on rebuilding the city, maintaining order and trade, and putting silver (if not gold) into residents’ hands.

The New Neverwinter concept is a propaganda tool the Lord Protector is using to stir up nationalistic emotions in the populace. This tactic, combined with the physical improvements to the city, has drawn most residents over to Neverember’s camp. However, some factions within the city consider the idea of a “New Neverwinter” an insult to the city’s sovereignty. The foremost oppositional faction is the Sons of Alagondar (page 117), a group that actively opposes Neverember and his plans. Its followers are busy plotting, setting traps, and enlisting whatever aid they can find.

Lord Dagult Neverember

The Open Lord of Waterdeep is a commanding noble. Big, boisterous, and affable, Neverember treats each new acquaintance as a friend. Beneath his congenial display, his quick mind is sizing up everyone in attendance, tallying potential gains or threats each could offer him. Despite feigning disinterest in scandals and hints of corruption, he mentally files away each rumor. He offers genuine respect to strong, intelligent male acquaintances and flirts outrageously with beautiful female guests.

A shrewd negotiator, Neverember prefers straight dealing. He is well known as an economic puppet master, facilitating trade deals that shock even those involved.

The open lord of Waterdeep is not a conventional villain. He is a ruthless opportunist and imperialist, arrogant and greedy, but he is not evil. In the right circumstances, he could prove an ally to the heroes.

:source: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20110801
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  03:08:18  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the link. So I was right in hating the guy. Next time I log in I'm going to run up to him and start throwing rude emotes at him. :P

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  14:22:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried flipping him off, but unfortunately, as a half-orc, that's just considered 'flirting'.

Okay, 'Nashers'. So there is a story behind the name. I guess a lot of this came from the 4e Neverwinter product, eh? Funny, I read through that (and even found it useful), but now I can't recall much (aside from my rabid dislike of the Aboleths).

I am going to try looking at this game on my son's Alienware computer - I can't really judge it fairly when the graphics are making me nauseous. Are the custom-game tools available yet? Thats what I really want to start sinking my teeth into. I think thats where this can truly shine - I don't know of any other 'free play/pay for kewl items' game that also has a sandbox for modders - its a fairly novel idea. They already have a HUGE fanbase with the Neverwinter Nights community, so if they can get those people on-board this will really take off.

Edited by - Markustay on 06 May 2013 14:27:41
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  15:22:14  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is called the foundary , when you first get to character select, it is on the bottom section of where you click your character to enter the game.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2013 :  15:52:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I tried flipping him off, but unfortunately, as a half-orc, that's just considered 'flirting'.

Okay, 'Nashers'. So there is a story behind the name. I guess a lot of this came from the 4e Neverwinter product, eh? Funny, I read through that (and even found it useful), but now I can't recall much (aside from my rabid dislike of the Aboleths).
Yep, I wrote up Lord Neverember as a sleazy merchant-tyrant interested in annexing the city to Waterdeep's control and created the Nashers as loyalists to the old Lord Nasher, who are called that because folk joke about them gnashing their teeth and lamenting how the good old days were so much better. You know, like the grognards of Neverwinter.

It's particularly funny (for me, anyway), because when I designed the group, I pictured one of their leaders looking EXACTLY like MT.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  00:16:01  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
uhg, I just fought my first mimic lol
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  01:53:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, wait, Mark's playing a half orc? Thought they weren't on the list?

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  03:33:30  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can create your own quests with Foundry, but I was wondering, does anyone know if you'll be able to use the game to create Persistent Worlds like the Neverwinter Nights games?

Although given my one experience with a Persistent World, I'm not sure why I care (It was a Ravenloft PW. I logged in, ran into a group of people talking, and when they talked to me I didn't know how to chat in return so they stated insulting me. I then went into a cave, died, and became a ghost unable to come back to life. I gave up shortly after that).

Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  03:41:46  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Huh, I'll have to check it out. Maybe that's what the mythical "Coming Soon" race was? I just wish I could play a blue-skinned Tiefling Warlock, though. I DEMAND to be able to play Venger in Neverwinter!

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  04:27:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

And a FEMALE half-orc at that.

Orcs in the post-plague Realms are like Klingons in the Next generation Star Trek universe - they're even uglier then before, but they are everywhere, and you get used to them after awhile (like an ugly old mangy mutt).

And like I said, I think these (Neverwinter) people are idiots for sending an unkown half-orc into their vaults to protect their crown... talk about using a wolf to protect the sheep. And all joking aside, I actually was on their side - I kept the BBG busy while the Nashers got away with the crown.

@Erik - I am SO definitely a Nasher lol

Edited by - Markustay on 07 May 2013 04:29:23
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  05:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The fact that they're playable actually makes me more interested in the game. Just didn't think they'd make the cut for playable races between dwarves and dragonborn.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000