Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 First Impression on NeverWinter
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  06:18:51  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just logged in, and yep, there they are. They have the following races:

Human
Tiefling
Elf
Dwarf
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfling

Speaking of gripes, I really hate the rolling system. It uses point buy, so anything you roll always comes out to the same amount of points, so why not just let people purchase their stats rather than bothering with the rolling and trying to get the exact stats they want?

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  11:32:17  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm quickly becoming hooked on the game. I really like the Foundry system. Those of you familiar with NW2 will notice it is not the same---by design. The Foundry lets you create mods/adventures that are used within the constraints of the MMORPG. This allows for a fair an equitable design space that allows for it to seemlessly plug into the game.

A quick break down. If you want to create something without contraints, where you can add all you want, then NW2 is your game. If you want to play a MMORPG where unique additional content is community-created, then Neverwinter MMO is awesome. You could, for all intents and purposes, level your character only playing Foundry quests. Which is cool. You are no longer forced to run through game-developed questlines and plot.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  14:51:52  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
From what I'm told, Drow are also a possible race.
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  15:22:14  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't include them in my list because at the moment you have to pay $200 to play one, although I think they'll become fully playable at launch.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2013 :  16:28:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's pretty standard practice in a game model like this to have a CORE game, then give you the opportunity to purchase additional character types, equipment, etc., as plug-ins to customize/enhance your gameplay experience. I haven't played the game, but that seems to be what's going on now.

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

And like I said, I think these (Neverwinter) people are idiots for sending an unkown half-orc into their vaults to protect their crown... talk about using a wolf to protect the sheep. And all joking aside, I actually was on their side - I kept the BBG busy while the Nashers got away with the crown.
Racial profiling, much? Some of my best friends are half-orcs.

They DO eat all the chips and drink all the beer, though.

quote:
@Erik - I am SO definitely a Nasher lol
Ayep.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  04:36:54  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay While I wasn't happy that the machanics where a poor man's 4e instead of proper 4e, the graphics are great if stuttery.

I will admit I almost quiet in frustration at first, because the game wouldn't let me pick up my equiptment!

I figured out you have to end the conversation with that first guy before you can do that.

I'll admit that it can be kind of fun, but truth be told it feels more like an arcade game like Golden Axe if Golden Axe was an MMO with modern technology then D&D.

Fun time waster, but not a true successor to Neverwinter Nights.

Still there is no point in making said successor until FR 5e is up and running.

And it should not be set in Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter time for a new Town. Maybe Selgaunt.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  07:54:04  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote for.... Halarahh
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2013 :  11:05:53  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Went to the site to see the video, and the very first sentence I read had the word 'spellplague' in it.

Interest = GONE

you are right ...i'm also with you...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2013 :  19:52:35  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
5e will probably mention it also lol
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  02:08:52  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay I will admit, I have mostly turned to playing it for half an hour and then turning it off, seems more like a bed time story now then a game, I play it just to learn a lil more and then turn it off.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  14:41:56  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't touched it from the first time I tried it.

This would be a great game... had it come out 10 years ago. It seems very dated to me, on every level.

I would hazard to guess they just don't have a big enough budget to do anything right anymore. The graphics in most games today put this to shame (and I can't blame this on my comp, since I am playing some of those other games on it).

I'll probably give it another go... when my prepaid Pirate101 account runs out.

EDIT:
I also do still have to try it on another machine, because I recall the stuff I saw at Gencon looked much better then what I am looking at. I guess what I am saying is that everyone should try it for themselves.

EDIT2:
Just tried it again, and I found a huge problem. Having not bothered with it since that first time, I have completely forgotten all the controls... and there is nothing to help you with that. That makes this a 'try once' game - if you give it a second chance, you will be lost, and so will that chance. I have absolutely NO IDEA what to do right now (that shining path thingy isn't even there).

Plus, I had some idiot following me around swinging his sword at me. It got so annoying I just logged off.

EDIT3:
On the bright side, I figured out how to reset my action keys, which is a very good thing. Now if I could just figure out what to do from here, I'd be set.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 May 2013 15:29:36
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  15:41:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just realized a HUGE mistake they made.

Its gonna fail... big time. I read a few articles, and they didn't use a focus group in the early part of development. They used their own developers. Those guys are by nature 'hardcore computer gamers'. Then they went ahead and created a game targeted at the 'casual gamer' (the 'Free Play/pay for kewl stuff' FB-like business model). They built a game for one group, and then targeted it for another. Now I understand why the interface feels all wrong to me - its the wrong kind of engine for this type of game. Action games appeal to a different kind of audience.

BIG mistake. HUGE.

Call it a day.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 19 May 2013 15:42:11
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  16:34:07  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Plus, I had some idiot following me around swinging his sword at me. It got so annoying I just logged off.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  18:17:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't tell me that was YOU?

I knew I shouldn't have let my sexy half-orc walk around in a thong.

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  18:20:15  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it is a small world afterall...
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2013 :  19:03:10  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, no, I was just being a screwball with that reply. Either that or it was me and I don't know. I just thought it was funny since I did, in fact, spend a good long while running around Neverwinter the other day just swinging my sword at people.

Edited by - Venger on 19 May 2013 19:08:43
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2013 :  15:45:05  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
uhg wackos :P

So I guess they are releasing an expansion pack soon, and doing a major rework of the classes.

The expansion pack is suppose to be formian giants attacking the city of Sharandar, and using heavy bits of feywild lore.

Just me or does 4e FR take everything that was the shadowweave and that stuff, and replace it with the feywild, as far as publishing information.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000