Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 First Impression on NeverWinter

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]
Rolling Eyes [8|] Confused [?!:] Help [?:] King [3|:]
Laughing [:OD] What [W] Oooohh [:H] Down [:E]

Check here to include your profile signature.
Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
silverwolfer Posted - 30 Apr 2013 : 21:15:50
God damn.....

I forgot how much I missed DDO

6 races, 5 classes, huge back story selection , Ha vent...started the game yet, but I am giddy

Second input : Okay ...starting from a shipwreck, just like DDO ... interesting but okay... Graphics are okay, am playing on the lowest setting , and instead of making everything low rez, it just makes them fuzzy. Chracters speak well, some bugs still on how characters interact with NPCs.

Suggestion: Don't keep clicking with your mouse, use your number keys to make selections.

third input : Good lord laptop getting hot already after 7 mins of play, laggy but first day, as to be expected. Character dimension dooring all over the place due to lag XD

Suggestion: If it says to use the F key to grab something, use the damn F key, double clicking with your mouth seems to take it longer to get what you want.

Fourth Input: Wow, Loving this dimension door, ooo yeah what am I? I am a female dwarf cleric of kelmvor ((whatever his name is spelled like)), So it seems the attack system is simplified from the old wow piano keyboard syndrome, and we have QWE and then left and right mouse click .

Suggestion: Your going to be jumping about allot, walk around some to get the server to get you to the spot you want, and press F sometimes takes a few tries for a NPC or quest to recognize you are near.

5th input : Wow, they are really using lore and not just abusing a D&D IP........yay!

6th input: Lagggy..llagggy..laggggy , but still enjoying it does this make me a fanboy?

7th input : The combat is not like wow, where you hold still and press buttons, you can dodge ranged and spell attacks have lil red outlines that show up, so gives you a chance to get out of the area. No clue how that interacts with PVP , but PVE combat is good and solid.

As playing as a cleric, I did not feel like just a heal bot, I was throwing bolts and thinking I was ZEUS, once I got to the bridge section of combat, I was jumping around and dodging ranged attacks while avoiding zombies , and summoning an angel to bring the smack down on the big brutes and the boss warlock.

Suggestoin: While jumping makes me feel better on dodging, I know it really does nothing.

BREAK TIME!!!
30   L A T E S T    R E P L I E S    (Newest First)
silverwolfer Posted - 06 Jun 2013 : 15:45:05
uhg wackos :P

So I guess they are releasing an expansion pack soon, and doing a major rework of the classes.

The expansion pack is suppose to be formian giants attacking the city of Sharandar, and using heavy bits of feywild lore.

Just me or does 4e FR take everything that was the shadowweave and that stuff, and replace it with the feywild, as far as publishing information.
Venger Posted - 19 May 2013 : 19:03:10
LOL, no, I was just being a screwball with that reply. Either that or it was me and I don't know. I just thought it was funny since I did, in fact, spend a good long while running around Neverwinter the other day just swinging my sword at people.
silverwolfer Posted - 19 May 2013 : 18:20:15
it is a small world afterall...
Markustay Posted - 19 May 2013 : 18:17:08
Don't tell me that was YOU?

I knew I shouldn't have let my sexy half-orc walk around in a thong.
Venger Posted - 19 May 2013 : 16:34:07
quote:
Plus, I had some idiot following me around swinging his sword at me. It got so annoying I just logged off.

Markustay Posted - 19 May 2013 : 15:41:08
Just realized a HUGE mistake they made.

Its gonna fail... big time. I read a few articles, and they didn't use a focus group in the early part of development. They used their own developers. Those guys are by nature 'hardcore computer gamers'. Then they went ahead and created a game targeted at the 'casual gamer' (the 'Free Play/pay for kewl stuff' FB-like business model). They built a game for one group, and then targeted it for another. Now I understand why the interface feels all wrong to me - its the wrong kind of engine for this type of game. Action games appeal to a different kind of audience.

BIG mistake. HUGE.

Call it a day.
Markustay Posted - 19 May 2013 : 14:41:56
I haven't touched it from the first time I tried it.

This would be a great game... had it come out 10 years ago. It seems very dated to me, on every level.

I would hazard to guess they just don't have a big enough budget to do anything right anymore. The graphics in most games today put this to shame (and I can't blame this on my comp, since I am playing some of those other games on it).

I'll probably give it another go... when my prepaid Pirate101 account runs out.

EDIT:
I also do still have to try it on another machine, because I recall the stuff I saw at Gencon looked much better then what I am looking at. I guess what I am saying is that everyone should try it for themselves.

EDIT2:
Just tried it again, and I found a huge problem. Having not bothered with it since that first time, I have completely forgotten all the controls... and there is nothing to help you with that. That makes this a 'try once' game - if you give it a second chance, you will be lost, and so will that chance. I have absolutely NO IDEA what to do right now (that shining path thingy isn't even there).

Plus, I had some idiot following me around swinging his sword at me. It got so annoying I just logged off.

EDIT3:
On the bright side, I figured out how to reset my action keys, which is a very good thing. Now if I could just figure out what to do from here, I'd be set.
silverwolfer Posted - 19 May 2013 : 02:08:52
okay I will admit, I have mostly turned to playing it for half an hour and then turning it off, seems more like a bed time story now then a game, I play it just to learn a lil more and then turn it off.
silverwolfer Posted - 14 May 2013 : 19:52:35
5e will probably mention it also lol
BARDOBARBAROS Posted - 09 May 2013 : 11:05:53
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Went to the site to see the video, and the very first sentence I read had the word 'spellplague' in it.

Interest = GONE

you are right ...i'm also with you...
silverwolfer Posted - 09 May 2013 : 07:54:04
I vote for.... Halarahh
Gyor Posted - 09 May 2013 : 04:36:54
Okay While I wasn't happy that the machanics where a poor man's 4e instead of proper 4e, the graphics are great if stuttery.

I will admit I almost quiet in frustration at first, because the game wouldn't let me pick up my equiptment!

I figured out you have to end the conversation with that first guy before you can do that.

I'll admit that it can be kind of fun, but truth be told it feels more like an arcade game like Golden Axe if Golden Axe was an MMO with modern technology then D&D.

Fun time waster, but not a true successor to Neverwinter Nights.

Still there is no point in making said successor until FR 5e is up and running.

And it should not be set in Baldur's Gate or Neverwinter time for a new Town. Maybe Selgaunt.

Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 07 May 2013 : 16:28:15
It's pretty standard practice in a game model like this to have a CORE game, then give you the opportunity to purchase additional character types, equipment, etc., as plug-ins to customize/enhance your gameplay experience. I haven't played the game, but that seems to be what's going on now.

quote:

And like I said, I think these (Neverwinter) people are idiots for sending an unkown half-orc into their vaults to protect their crown... talk about using a wolf to protect the sheep. And all joking aside, I actually was on their side - I kept the BBG busy while the Nashers got away with the crown.
Racial profiling, much? Some of my best friends are half-orcs.

They DO eat all the chips and drink all the beer, though.

quote:
@Erik - I am SO definitely a Nasher lol
Ayep.

Cheers
Venger Posted - 07 May 2013 : 15:22:14
I didn't include them in my list because at the moment you have to pay $200 to play one, although I think they'll become fully playable at launch.
Diffan Posted - 07 May 2013 : 14:51:52
From what I'm told, Drow are also a possible race.
Matt James Posted - 07 May 2013 : 11:32:17
I'm quickly becoming hooked on the game. I really like the Foundry system. Those of you familiar with NW2 will notice it is not the same---by design. The Foundry lets you create mods/adventures that are used within the constraints of the MMORPG. This allows for a fair an equitable design space that allows for it to seemlessly plug into the game.

A quick break down. If you want to create something without contraints, where you can add all you want, then NW2 is your game. If you want to play a MMORPG where unique additional content is community-created, then Neverwinter MMO is awesome. You could, for all intents and purposes, level your character only playing Foundry quests. Which is cool. You are no longer forced to run through game-developed questlines and plot.
Venger Posted - 07 May 2013 : 06:18:51
I just logged in, and yep, there they are. They have the following races:

Human
Tiefling
Elf
Dwarf
Half-Elf
Half-Orc
Halfling

Speaking of gripes, I really hate the rolling system. It uses point buy, so anything you roll always comes out to the same amount of points, so why not just let people purchase their stats rather than bothering with the rolling and trying to get the exact stats they want?
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 07 May 2013 : 05:44:28
The fact that they're playable actually makes me more interested in the game. Just didn't think they'd make the cut for playable races between dwarves and dragonborn.
Markustay Posted - 07 May 2013 : 04:27:09
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

So, wait, Mark's playing a half orc? Thought they weren't on the list?
And a FEMALE half-orc at that.

Orcs in the post-plague Realms are like Klingons in the Next generation Star Trek universe - they're even uglier then before, but they are everywhere, and you get used to them after awhile (like an ugly old mangy mutt).

And like I said, I think these (Neverwinter) people are idiots for sending an unkown half-orc into their vaults to protect their crown... talk about using a wolf to protect the sheep. And all joking aside, I actually was on their side - I kept the BBG busy while the Nashers got away with the crown.

@Erik - I am SO definitely a Nasher lol
Venger Posted - 07 May 2013 : 03:41:46
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Asmodeus

Huh, I'll have to check it out. Maybe that's what the mythical "Coming Soon" race was? I just wish I could play a blue-skinned Tiefling Warlock, though. I DEMAND to be able to play Venger in Neverwinter!
Venger Posted - 07 May 2013 : 03:33:30
You can create your own quests with Foundry, but I was wondering, does anyone know if you'll be able to use the game to create Persistent Worlds like the Neverwinter Nights games?

Although given my one experience with a Persistent World, I'm not sure why I care (It was a Ravenloft PW. I logged in, ran into a group of people talking, and when they talked to me I didn't know how to chat in return so they stated insulting me. I then went into a cave, died, and became a ghost unable to come back to life. I gave up shortly after that).
Chosen of Asmodeus Posted - 07 May 2013 : 01:53:09
silverwolfer Posted - 07 May 2013 : 00:16:01
uhg, I just fought my first mimic lol
Erik Scott de Bie Posted - 06 May 2013 : 15:52:12
quote:

I tried flipping him off, but unfortunately, as a half-orc, that's just considered 'flirting'.

Okay, 'Nashers'. So there is a story behind the name. I guess a lot of this came from the 4e Neverwinter product, eh? Funny, I read through that (and even found it useful), but now I can't recall much (aside from my rabid dislike of the Aboleths).
Yep, I wrote up Lord Neverember as a sleazy merchant-tyrant interested in annexing the city to Waterdeep's control and created the Nashers as loyalists to the old Lord Nasher, who are called that because folk joke about them gnashing their teeth and lamenting how the good old days were so much better. You know, like the grognards of Neverwinter.

It's particularly funny (for me, anyway), because when I designed the group, I pictured one of their leaders looking EXACTLY like MT.

Cheers
silverwolfer Posted - 06 May 2013 : 15:22:14
it is called the foundary , when you first get to character select, it is on the bottom section of where you click your character to enter the game.
Markustay Posted - 06 May 2013 : 14:22:36
I tried flipping him off, but unfortunately, as a half-orc, that's just considered 'flirting'.

Okay, 'Nashers'. So there is a story behind the name. I guess a lot of this came from the 4e Neverwinter product, eh? Funny, I read through that (and even found it useful), but now I can't recall much (aside from my rabid dislike of the Aboleths).

I am going to try looking at this game on my son's Alienware computer - I can't really judge it fairly when the graphics are making me nauseous. Are the custom-game tools available yet? Thats what I really want to start sinking my teeth into. I think thats where this can truly shine - I don't know of any other 'free play/pay for kewl items' game that also has a sandbox for modders - its a fairly novel idea. They already have a HUGE fanbase with the Neverwinter Nights community, so if they can get those people on-board this will really take off.
Venger Posted - 06 May 2013 : 03:08:18
Thanks for the link. So I was right in hating the guy. Next time I log in I'm going to run up to him and start throwing rude emotes at him. :P
silverwolfer Posted - 06 May 2013 : 01:05:39
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

quote:
And my limited download data :D but I might as well do it sometime.

Well, if you don't like it you can always uninstall it afterwards.

And they're the "Nashers", not Gnashers, named after Nasher Alagondar, former lord of Neverwinter. And personally I was rooting for them. I say let them have the crown and find the true ruler of Neverwinter, because I don't care at all for Lord Neverember. Why is a Lord of Waterdeep running Neverwinter? It makes me feel like Neverwinter's an occupied city. Get those Waterdhavians out of my city!

New Neverwinter

The New Neverwinter movement is gaining a foothold as Lord Dagult Neverember’s hired hands and goons patrol the streets and rebuild the city. Neverember ostensibly takes his role as protector seriously, sending his mercenaries to oust the orcs in the River District, repel plaguechanged monstrosities at the Wall, and otherwise keep the peace. The lord endeavors to lure home and win over Neverwinter’s refugee population. He is focusing on rebuilding the city, maintaining order and trade, and putting silver (if not gold) into residents’ hands.

The New Neverwinter concept is a propaganda tool the Lord Protector is using to stir up nationalistic emotions in the populace. This tactic, combined with the physical improvements to the city, has drawn most residents over to Neverember’s camp. However, some factions within the city consider the idea of a “New Neverwinter” an insult to the city’s sovereignty. The foremost oppositional faction is the Sons of Alagondar (page 117), a group that actively opposes Neverember and his plans. Its followers are busy plotting, setting traps, and enlisting whatever aid they can find.

Lord Dagult Neverember

The Open Lord of Waterdeep is a commanding noble. Big, boisterous, and affable, Neverember treats each new acquaintance as a friend. Beneath his congenial display, his quick mind is sizing up everyone in attendance, tallying potential gains or threats each could offer him. Despite feigning disinterest in scandals and hints of corruption, he mentally files away each rumor. He offers genuine respect to strong, intelligent male acquaintances and flirts outrageously with beautiful female guests.

A shrewd negotiator, Neverember prefers straight dealing. He is well known as an economic puppet master, facilitating trade deals that shock even those involved.

The open lord of Waterdeep is not a conventional villain. He is a ruthless opportunist and imperialist, arrogant and greedy, but he is not evil. In the right circumstances, he could prove an ally to the heroes.

:source: https://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/20110801
Venger Posted - 05 May 2013 : 23:21:48
quote:
And my limited download data :D but I might as well do it sometime.

Well, if you don't like it you can always uninstall it afterwards.

And they're the "Nashers", not Gnashers, named after Nasher Alagondar, former lord of Neverwinter. And personally I was rooting for them. I say let them have the crown and find the true ruler of Neverwinter, because I don't care at all for Lord Neverember. Why is a Lord of Waterdeep running Neverwinter? It makes me feel like Neverwinter's an occupied city. Get those Waterdhavians out of my city!
silverwolfer Posted - 05 May 2013 : 23:21:24
Do you mean compete with, comparedto other games. Or brings to the table becuase they are such with an already established following that are curious about an MMO created in their name?

Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000