Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Daylight lycanthropes
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  10:00:18  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm not sure if someone ever wrote about this before, but there we go: is a lycanthrope that is linked to the cycles of the moon transformed when the moon shows up during the daylight hours?

And another question, inspired by our discussions about spelljamming and the canon info about a colony of Leira worshippers in Selūne: I don't recall if there is a specific rule about lycanthropes there, but if not, how would it work? Maybe they transform wherever Toril is in the sky, or alternatively, they change when it's DAY there, so the moon is visible in Toril's sky.

What do you think?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 17 Jan 2013 10:00:51

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  13:18:18  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess that makes sense, if such an event is possible on Toril of course. As far as I know, the time has no impact of Lycanthropes, only the moon cycle and its exposure, so daytime transformation is possible in theory. Such an event could be foreseen in advance, and is probably an important day for followers of Selune and Malar. I might actually use that...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:46:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set covered lycanthropes being affected when they were off-world... And I don't remember where I read it, but I know I read something about werecritters with alternate triggers, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:59:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do lycanthropes respond when exposed to spells which "duplicate" moonlight, like Presper's Moonbow and various elfy moon-mithril magics? Spell descriptions might help determine whether lycanthropy is triggered by moonlight or triggered by lunar cycles.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  17:14:29  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

I'm not sure if someone ever wrote about this before, but there we go: is a lycanthrope that is linked to the cycles of the moon transformed when the moon shows up during the daylight hours?

And another question, inspired by our discussions about spelljamming and the canon info about a colony of Leira worshippers in Selūne: I don't recall if there is a specific rule about lycanthropes there, but if not, how would it work? Maybe they transform wherever Toril is in the sky, or alternatively, they change when it's DAY there, so the moon is visible in Toril's sky.

What do you think?

Color me intrigued... in what product does it have Leiran worshippers located on Selune?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  18:11:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

quote:

What do you think?

Color me intrigued... in what product does it have Leiran worshippers located on Selune?

Realmspace. It's a Spelljammer supplement. The info on everything else in the sphere is great, but the lore concerning Toril, Selūne, and her Tears is problematic, at best. I'd happily consider that specific lore to be non-canon, but one of the web articles about the Sellplague referred to the illusion on the moon coming down -- and that's also from Realmspace.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  02:04:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:

What do you think?

Realmspace. It's a Spelljammer supplement. The info on everything else in the sphere is great, but the lore concerning Toril, Selūne, and her Tears is problematic, at best. I'd happily consider that specific lore to be non-canon, but one of the web articles about the Sellplague referred to the illusion on the moon coming down -- and that's also from Realmspace.

I've largely assumed that the more problematic Realmslore in the Realmspace supplement is likely due to poor research and/or explorations made by those responsible for travelling beyond Toril and documenting what they've found out there.

I mean, we still see many locations beyond Faerūn itself which remain either poorly mapped or not completely explored. Why should the depths of Realmspace be any different?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  04:33:34  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've just completed a review of Realmspace, (been a while since I picked up this fantasitic supplement) and there is nothing problematic about the lore contained within.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  05:11:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

quote:

quote:

What do you think?

I've largely assumed that the more problematic Realmslore in the Realmspace supplement is likely due to poor research and/or explorations made by those responsible for travelling beyond Toril and documenting what they've found out there.

I mean, we still see many locations beyond Faerūn itself which remain either poorly mapped or not completely explored. Why should the depths of Realmspace be any different?

It's not the other areas of Realmspace that are problematic, it's the treatment of Toril, the Tears, and Selūne that is problematic.

The Leirans on Selūne, for example. Yeah, I've figured out a way to explain that -- but it shouldn't be necessary to come up with the gymnastics of explaining Leira-worshippers and a giant illusion located on another deity's home turf.

Or the description of Nimbral as a major spelljamming port -- nothing in the lore about Nimbral even suggests such a thing. Nothing backs up Calimport or Waterdeep being major spelljamming ports, either.

The entry on the Tears says they simply popped into existence 4800 years ago. That's not backed up by Realmslore.

Or Caer Windlauer. An entire castle, and thousands of acres of land, disappear from an island, with no one noticing? And the assassins that the guy's family joined are described as being a potent, fear-causing bunch. Where in Realmslore is this group of assassins mentioned? Two trilogies, a sourcebook, and a module with plenty of extra lore -- we've got plenty of info on the Moonshaes, so this group should not be unknown.

All of these things are problematic. We have things that either contradict known Realmslore, or that are not backed up by any Realmslore. Yeah, I don't expect Realms material to cover Glyth, but I do expect a Spelljammer book talking about the Realms to be logical and not contradict canon.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jan 2013 05:13:31
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  05:45:22  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And yet, none of the things you mention contradict canon. There is a HUGE difference between "contradicting canon" and "not liking" Forgotten Realms lore presented in a Spelljammer source.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:23:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hidden Lord

And yet, none of the things you mention contradict canon. There is a HUGE difference between "contradicting canon" and "not liking" Forgotten Realms lore presented in a Spelljammer source.

I am quite aware of this fact. I'm also quite aware that you and I have a different definition of canon. Me, I stick with canon as defined by WotC, since we're talking about something published by them.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:40:52  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Validity of "canon" aside, Spelljammer was a great setting concept but the actual quality of Spelljammer products was substandard. The writing was full of inconsistencies, inanities, and incompleteness; sometimes I can't even tell if the editors butchered it or if they never got around to it. Spelljammer plugged itself into existing campaign settings by just doing its own thing, which is original but problematic. The Realms are far more than just another mudball, but Spelljammers don't really care unless it's time to get some fresh air for their little boats, an attitude which (to me) seems is shared by the Spelljammer writers.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:52:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Validity of "canon" aside, Spelljammer was a great setting concept but the actual quality of Spelljammer products was substandard. The writing was full of inconsistencies, inanities, and incompleteness; sometimes I can't even tell if the editors butchered it or if they never got around to it. Spelljammer plugged itself into existing campaign settings by just doing its own thing, which is original but problematic. The Realms are far more than just another mudball, but Spelljammers don't really care unless it's time to get some fresh air for their little boats, an attitude which (to me) seems is shared by the Spelljammer writers.

Yeah, I loved Spelljammer, but its integration with existing settings was bad. Krynnspace, in particular, was really bad.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7971 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  11:58:44  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not at all criticizing Spelljammer's giant space hamsters, of course. Draconians would be much more fearsome when riding giant space hamsters, perhaps a giant herd of them should graze across the Dalelands.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  13:50:16  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

How do lycanthropes respond when exposed to spells which "duplicate" moonlight, like Presper's Moonbow and various elfy moon-mithril magics? Spell descriptions might help determine whether lycanthropy is triggered by moonlight or triggered by lunar cycles.

I don't think it's triggered by moonlight, otherwise some lycanthropes would transform in all of the phases of the moon except new moon. However, a full moon, at least in RW, can appear during the day. But using moonlight-based magic to transform werecreatures would be an interesting roleplaying trigger.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  14:04:34  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe the Adventures in Arcane Space boxed set covered lycanthropes being affected when they were off-world... And I don't remember where I read it, but I know I read something about werecritters with alternate triggers, too.

It's all in the Spelljammer: Adventures in Space boxed set, on the pages 64-65 of Chapter 3: Spacefarers on the booklet Lorebook of the Void (including alternate triggers for those bitten outside a planetary - I think it also includes "moon" - surface). Thanks, Wooly!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 18 Jan 2013 14:06:06
Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  14:37:17  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Me, I stick with canon as defined by WotC, since we're talking about something published by them.

This is completely untrue.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  14:49:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Me, I stick with canon as defined by WotC, since we're talking about something published by them.

Are you calling me a liar, or saying that what WotC publishes for its own settings is not canon?

Go to Top of Page

The Hidden Lord
Learned Scribe

148 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  19:54:13  Show Profile Send The Hidden Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Are you calling me a liar, or saying that what WotC publishes for its own settings is not canon?

Neither.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2013 :  16:45:52  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I look at Realmspace lore (and the way it is considered officailly, by the definitions of canon we have gotten) is that Realmspace lore is canon only onto the SJ setting, and not necessarilly to the FR setting.

That means if you are running FR, you can completely ignore all the Realmspace material. If you run SJ, you can ignore most of the FR material. However, if you want to have some 'SJ fun' in your Realms campaign, then you can add in those elements from the SJ setting that overlap. They aren't there unless you want to to be there.

And since that is really how it works anyway, I am starting to not understand what the purpose of 'canon' is for, other then keeping authors/designers 'on track' (like a setting bible). Canon should only effect people who are working on other official products - no one else should even worry about it. The only thing 'breaking canon' does (in their case) is make us not want to buy any more products, because the setting gets too confusing.

Rich Baker 'dipped' into SJ/Realmspace lore in his last novel series, and to be honest, it was my least-favorite bits. I prefer making those choices myself (whether SJ exists or not), not have authors do it for me. Once PCs find out they can get a 'magic flying ship', then thats what they will want. So would anyone with half a brain. Spelljamming tech throws the finely-tuned economics of FR off-kilter.

There was also a few mentions of SJ stuff in various post-2e FR material, and I find that equally disconcerting. It was never meant to be canon, but now it is. That means everyone who disliked SJ in-general will now have one more strike against FR.

But now I am getting close to the running argument against 'kitchen sink' settings in general, which both FR and Golarion have to be, because they are intimately tied to the rules. Sometimes I think that 3rd-party companies that don't have to worry about rules have it much easier for their settings. With all the good rules-systems out there right now (and I include 4e in that statement), one has to wonder wonder why they are even bothering with rules for 5e. Since they are no longer the '500 lb gorilla in the room', maybe that should just embrace that, and stick to setting-content only. Rules create headaches... settings create opportunities.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 20 Jan 2013 16:46:32
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000