Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Gay marriage?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  05:52:42  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Monogamous relationships are there, i mean how many novels are out there with the whole, i will save you from bbeg and such, its just simply that wotc and dnd has not come out with a gay/lesbian hero before with his/her own troubles in life which can be safely said just like the average torillian. The pantheon of Realmspace couldnt give a rats ass about the love lives of their followers (maybe sune) since they are so caught up in their own schemes and planning. Even the goodly gods are too preoccupied with their own plots.

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  06:37:28  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Xar Zarath

Monogamous relationships are there, i mean how many novels are out there with the whole, i will save you from bbeg and such, its just simply that wotc and dnd has not come out with a gay/lesbian hero before with his/her own troubles in life which can be safely said just like the average torillian. The pantheon of Realmspace couldnt give a rats ass about the love lives of their followers (maybe sune) since they are so caught up in their own schemes and planning. Even the goodly gods are too preoccupied with their own plots.

-It's not necessarily that they don't care because they're preoccupied with other things. It's that they don't care because it really isn't any big deal. It'd be like, contemporarily, a Catholic priest administering the communion to a person who has an afro, a rabbi marrying a couple where one person has two different colored eyes, an imam allowing a person with only nine toes to be the muezzin to call prayers. Those things literally don't matter to the dogmas of those respective religions, nor society as a whole. Likewise, on Faerūn, having that sort of love life doesn't matter to those religious dogmas or society as a whole.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  08:49:15  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Considering they have plans to conquer the multiverse and be the only god/goddess worshipped.

I accept your point Lord Karsus.(BTW Arent you supposed to take over title of karsite arcana from alistair??)

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2011 :  17:48:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

Considering they have plans to conquer the multiverse and be the only god/goddess worshipped.

-Well, just because they have their eye on the big prize doesn't mean they don't pay attention to the little things.

quote:

I accept your point Lord Karsus.(BTW Arent you supposed to take over title of karsite arcana from alistair??)

-He worships me.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  05:33:40  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
A gay Banite? Now THAT would be funny!! The mental image it gave me is ROFLMAO worthy! But it's certainly true that most of the FR gods would hardly blink at a same-sex couple walking down the aisle together, as it were. Neither would anyone else.

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  06:40:11  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

A gay Banite? Now THAT would be funny!! The mental image it gave me is ROFLMAO worthy! But it's certainly true that most of the FR gods would hardly blink at a same-sex couple walking down the aisle together, as it were. Neither would anyone else.

-Could make a compelling character, especially if he/she comes from some place/society/situation where his/her gayness is a source of emotional wounds, from being different, not accepted, whatever- works for any kind of situation that might marginalize an individual, or make them feel marginalized. The power Bane gives, and the feeling of "being in command" and whatnot certainly would be a kind of emotional high for someone who was ridiculed for whatever, and left feeling weak, powerless, and whatever else.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  10:24:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Because all of the Tormites, Helmites, and Tyrites were the jocks in school and they kept abusing the gay Banite. Swirlies, stuffing him into his locker, selling him a pass to the 4th floor when the school only has three floors his freshman year.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2011 :  18:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
Anti-gay bullying (or any kind of bullying) isn't a joke, guys.

That said, struggles against something you don't like but can't change about yourself are always cool, IMO. I think a Banite in this sort of situation could make for a very compelling tale.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  04:18:57  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Because all of the Tormites, Helmites, and Tyrites were the jocks in school and they kept abusing the gay Banite. Swirlies, stuffing him into his locker, selling him a pass to the 4th floor when the school only has three floors his freshman year.

I'm not so sensitive to this kind of joke. But I don't encourage it.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  05:43:43  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
Not just a banite i guess but we have many authors who can relate through the story to everyone who's reading it, i mean rivalen's story in twilight war trilogy, he tries to find a balance between duty to city, his father and goddess, and that's just the spiritual thing not even counting his personality or at least his sexuality.

(Getting someone who's written about the trials of living his/her sexuality), appeasing the needs of his/her god/goddess and juggling his/her newfound powers it could become a very powerful story combined with the expertise of an author like ed greenwood. Seriously though i would like to read such a novel, if they do decide to do one anyway.

Petition it anyone??

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  05:45:48  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
On the whole gay banite thing, yah maybe being bullied turned him to bane for the power to stand up to those so called goodly jocks!!

21st century meets Realmspace, go figure!

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  05:57:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

(Getting someone who's written about the trials of living his/her sexuality), appeasing the needs of his/her god/goddess and juggling his/her newfound powers it could become a very powerful story combined with the expertise of an author like ed greenwood. Seriously though i would like to read such a novel, if they do decide to do one anyway.

Petition it anyone??

-No thank you. Seems the kind of thing that just isn't destined to end well.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  08:05:13  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
I suppose so but then again i did not want nevron to die at the end of unholy, or for rivalen to become an exarch so i guess we all cant be happy, still it would be nice though.

Lol maybe we can get ryan murphy to write a book for wotc, haha

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  08:44:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:

I suppose so but then again i did not want nevron to die at the end of unholy, or for rivalen to become an exarch so i guess we all cant be happy, still it would be nice though.

Rivalen's ascension to exarch is something I am ambivalent to, specially that Telamont allowed it to happen...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  17:06:17  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
- I could do away with the sudden elevation of almost a half-dozen mortals to the status since the 4e transition. Especially since Exarch is a sort of demideity, with his/her/its own spheres of interest/portfolios. Such being, if they had to be elevated to suchpositions, I'd rather have them saints of their particular faiths, like Lathander and Ilmater do it.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  17:15:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Um, this scroll has inexplicably taken a turn away from the original topic...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

froglegg
Learned Scribe

317 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2011 :  21:32:31  Show Profile Send froglegg a Private Message
In before lock!

John

Long live Alias and Dragonbait! Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb the Realms need you more then ever!

On my word as a sage nothing within these pages is false, but not all of it may prove to be true. - Elminster of Shadowdale

The Old Grey Box gets better with age!
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  02:39:05  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message
Hrm, what would a Banite marriage be like? I wonder who would be "dominanat"? That question would be even more interesting in a same-sex couple....

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  04:10:15  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message
quote:

Hrm, what would a Banite marriage be like? I wonder who would be "dominanat"? That question would be even more interesting in a same-sex couple....

-Whoever is the more rich/politically connected/stronger/however power and/or dominance is decided, I guess?

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  05:09:59  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

quote:

-Whoever is the more rich/politically connected/stronger/however power and/or dominance is decided, I guess?

Pretty much the same in RW...Or, whoever is more favored by their patron deity.

Edited by - Dennis on 16 May 2011 05:10:49
Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  06:23:17  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
I think the biggest misconception being made is the assumption that marriage exists at all like we'd imagine it. As for Banites, I'd say the commonfolk that serve Bane as their patron would be unlikely to get married. Banite marriages, I would argue, would be political arrangements between individuals of power, and as a result is likely very much arranged for the couple. To give an example, a wealthy merchant could arrange a union between his lovely, fertile young daughter to the middle-aged nobleman. In doing so he gains a wealthy ally, and he advances himself in the hierarchy. Perhaps, depending on the culture and the power of the nobleman, the father even becomes a noble himself.

I'd imagine there would be some form of blood oath involved. The priest of Bane would likely require the wife to swear to "serve, honor, and obey" her husband. Both the father and the nobleman would likely sign a contract in blood, the daughter would likely be required to do so as well (by force if necessary). Then the priest would likely bless the union between the two families, and the nobleman would take his young bride off to consummate the union.

It would also seem logical to me that the church of Bane would sanction polygamy, and thus the powerful and the wealthy would likely take multiple partners. However, I'd imagine that there would always be one individual as the central figure head of the relationship to which all other partners are pledged. The dominant figure, if you will.

Thus, it is likely that powerful and wealthy individuals would forge religious unions for love, power, money, and sex. Depending on the culture and society, those they select may not have much choice in the matter.

Outside of these arrangements it is unlikely that the clergy of Bane would deem it necessary to sanction other such unions. If you're just together for love (as we'd understand a modern western marriage)... what's the point? Unless, of course, the individual is willing and able to pledge their loyalty and fealty to you. Otherwise, go find some Sunite Priestess and she might care.

It's likely that the dominant person in the relationship would be called either the Master or Mistress of the House, and all other members would be referred to as consorts. The whole bit about serving, honoring, and obeying would be taken rather literally. It's unlikely that a consort could divorce his or her Master / Mistress. However, it's likely that the Master / Mistress could divorce their consort. In doing so, I'd imagine there would be a penalty or price involved on behalf of the consort for failing to live up to their obligations. In some cultures and societies this may include a monetary fine, but in others I imagine it could even equal death.

I'd imagine it would also be a high social stigma among Banites, assuming one isn't executed, they'd be viewed as damaged goods. Not due to sex or anything of that nature, but due to the fact that they've proven they cannot be trusted - that they are disloyal and cannot please their Master / Mistress. The Church of Bane, assuming someone else would take the consort, would likely refuse to sanction the union.

However, I do believe there could be a way out of the union. I imagine that the Master / Mistress could trade their consort to others affiliated with the church. Thus, if a female Banite Mistress has an attractive male consort, and that consort catches the eye of say - a wealthy and powerful nobleman, he could offer to purchase him from the female. The arrangement would work exactly like it would with the daughter and her father above. The protests of the consort would be irrelevant. Whether or not he'd be attracted to said nobleman, or men at all, would also be irrelevant.

Thus, as a result if you find a kind and generous Master / Mistress it would greatly behoove you to ensure that they are pleased by your presence. Not only could their divorce of you turn you into a social outcast (or possibly lead to your execution), it could also have dire implications for your family (who may have gone to great lengths to arrange the union), or perhaps worst of all - you could end up purposefully handed off to someone who your displeased Master / Mistress KNOWS will abuse you.

That is how I picture a typical Banite marriage. Outside of these unions, which would take place primarily among the wealthy and powerful, the commonfolk would simply shack up with whomever. They could form monogamous relationships or polygamous - whichever strikes their fancy, depending on the laws in place. However, anyone outside such unions may be selected by the rich and powerful to become their consort depending on the culture and society. A union may offer some protection against this, but I'd imagine it'd cost a hefty fee for a commoner.

That being said... to be a good consort just take the advice offered in this helpful guide from the May 13, 1955 issue of Housekeeping Monthly.

quote:

The good wife's guide

* Have dinner ready. Plan ahead, even the night before, to have a delicious meal ready, on time for his return. This is a way of letting him know that you have been thinking about him and are concerned about his needs. Most men are hungry when they come home and the prospect of a good meal (especially his favorite dish) is part of the warm welcome needed.

* Prepare yourself. Take 15 minutes to rest so you'll be refreshed when he arrives. Touch up your make-up, put a ribbon in your hair and be fresh-looking. He has just been with a lot of work-weary people.

* Be a little gay and a little more interesting for him. His boring day may need a lift and one of your duties is to provide it.

* Clear away the clutter. Make one last trip through the main part of the house just before your husband arrives.

* Gather up schoolbooks, toys, paper etc and then run a dust cloth over the tables.

* Over the cooler months of the year you should prepare and light a fire for him to unwind by. Your husband will feel he has reached a haven of rest and order, and it will give you a lift too. After all, catering to his comfort will provide you with immense personal satisfaction.

* Prepare the children. Take a few minutes to wash the children's hands and faces (if they are small), comb their hair and, if necessary, change their clothes. They are little treasures and he would like to see them playing the part. Minimize all noise. At the time of his arrival, eliminate all noise of the washer, dryer or vacuum. Try to encourage the children to be quiet.

* Be happy to see him.

* Greet him with a warm smile and show sincerity in your desire to please him.

* Listen to him. You may have a dozen important things to tell him, but the moment of his arrival is not the time. Let him talk first - remember, his topics of conversation are more important than yours.

* Make the evening his. Never complain if he comes home late or goes out to dinner, or other places of entertainment without you. Instead, try to understand his world of strain and pressure and his very real need to be at home and relax.

* Your goal: Try to make sure your home is a place of peace, order and tranquility where your husband can renew himself in body and spirit.

* Don't greet him with complaints and problems.

* Don't complain if he's late home for dinner or even if he stays out all night. Count this as minor compared to what he might have gone through that day.

* Make him comfortable. Have him lean back in a comfortable chair or have him lie down in the bedroom. Have a cool or warm drink ready for him.

* Arrange his pillow and offer to take off his shoes. Speak in a low, soothing and pleasant voice.

* Don't ask him questions about his actions or question his judgment or integrity. Remember, he is the master of the house and as such will always exercise his will with fairness and truthfulness. You have no right to question him.

* A good wife always knows her place.

...and remember, if you displease the Master of the House, he can do whatever he wants, because he legally owns you. Including beat you, rape you, have you socially ostracized, possibly executed, potentially ruin your family, or send you off to someone who is far worse than them.

So, always remember to smile and be happy to see the Master... or else.

Welcome to Banite Marriage Class 101.

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, those contracts signed in blood I mentioned? Well, seeing as how there is a very real afterlife in the Realms, such contracts are likely binding in the hereafter as well. So, when a Banite Master / Mistress dies he or she can be prepared to have his or her consorts continue their service in the afterlife.

Depending on the culture, society, and laws it may even be custom to have all consorts executed when the Master / Mistress dies so they can be prepared to handle their needs in the afterlife.

Banite Marriage is just L-O-A-D-S of fun.

Additionally, in case it wasn't clear gender and sexual attraction makes zero difference in any of this. A Banite Nobleman could have a male consort, and no one would bat an eye. Furthermore, no one would bat an eye when he sells said male consort to a female Noblewoman. It would be irrelevant to either of them whether or not the male consort was only sexually attracted to men, he'd still be expected to perform sexually with the woman... and if he can't... woe be unto him. And naturally, such sexual relations would not be considered rape, as it is an expected duty that a consort shall sexually serve their Master / Mistress.

Naturally, local laws and customs would heavily dictate many of these things, but I'd imagine that much of the above may hold in a place such as Thay or Zhentil Keep. It may even hold in any place where Banite worship is strong, legal, and slavery is common (such as Calimshan).
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  06:53:32  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
Scroll now delivers!

What would happen if the "Weaker" partner found a "new and better" tyrant. Would plots to undermine and or possibly kill the current dominant member start, so they could join with the "new and better" tyrant?

EDIT: 2000 POST!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 16 May 2011 06:54:25
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  07:16:14  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Both, I guess. Ally with the better tyrant to kill the current one. Not unheard of, even in the goodly clergies it happens.

Go to Top of Page

Aldrick
Senior Scribe

909 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  07:35:59  Show Profile Send Aldrick a Private Message
Brimstone -

Congrats on your 2000th post.

That's an interesting idea, and I would say yes. I could certainly see a situation in which a consort attempts to secretly seduce another Master / Mistress in an attempt to further their own agenda. Assuming the current owner refused to sell the consort, a plot could be hatched to undermine or kill the consorts current Master / Mistress. Naturally, such a thing would be dangerous for a consort under any circumstances, and could even be a death sentence.

I'd say the Banite clergy would also strongly disapprove, and likely seek retribution against whomever is aiding the consort. Killing the current Master / Mistress may also not be an option if there is a culture which kills the consorts as well. I could certainly see such a thing happening in Thay.

So, there is risk for everyone involved, but love can make people do stupid things. Therefore, I imagine it's not unheard of to have people fighting over consorts.

If it were merely lust that fueled their desires, rather than ownership, I could easily see an agreement being made to have the consort stay with another individual for a time to service their desires. Naturally, the consort would be expected to obey.

Also, regarding the blood oath contracts I mentioned; I'd say they are literally contracts between multiple parties. To use the wealthy merchant marrying off his daughter to the nobleman, the nobleman may require the merchant to declare that his daughter is a virgin (a Banite Priest would likely check), that she will obey him without trouble, and that she is sufficiently fertile to produce a child by such-and-such date. If the daughter fails to meet those standards the marriage would automatically be annulled with the same consequences as divorce above. Likely with even worse consequences heaped upon her father for lying to the nobleman and providing him with an unsatisfactory consort. A severance agreement may be included in the contract detailing what the merchant will pay the nobleman if his daughter fails to live up to the agreed upon terms. These things would be negotiated beforehand, naturally, likely with the priest of Bane providing guidance and advice to both parties, eager to ensure that the arrangement is satisfactory to both.

Of course, regardless of what happens both parties would blame the consort, despite the fact that they were likely excluded entirely from the negotiation.

Laws and customs would vary greatly from land to land. For example, in Thay the Church of Bane may refuse to forge a matrimonial agreement between individuals of the same status. Thus, no Red Wizard could marry another Red Wizard, and no Tharchion could marry another Tharchion. This is for obvious and practical reasons. That doesn't mean they can't have relationships with each other, or that the Church may not sanction other unions / contracts.

The Church of Bane would obviously be less concerned about love and relationships, and more about creating agreements and forcing people to live up to them. You'd be free to have sex with whomever you want, whether they're your consort or not, provided they are not the consort of someone else. Having sex with someone else's consort would be akin to stealing someones property, and would be a very unwise move.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  07:48:50  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message

Not within Bane's clergy, but still a good example:

Malark killed Dmitra, his former master, because he saw Tam as a better one. [Tam once said he considered Malark a trusted friend. So who's to say he might have had homosexual feelings towards the sly monk?]

Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  14:16:29  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message
HAHAHA you guys talk about the whole dangers of a gay banite wedding and consummation, if you think this is whack try having 2 gay cyricists or gay talosian/talosers??(i don't know this one

Either way, its true what aldrick is saying, marriage in the real world and fr is way different, and same sex marriage in no more different there than hetero marriages are here, real world people do it for power, fame, prestige and fr is no different though with the whole same sex thing, if the gay banite were to marry a wealthy lord's children, he may take them both if he's feelin a little lickerish, keep the girl as the wife and her brother as the concubine, its been done here before.

One faith that would not have trouble with it would be the sunites, and really i dont think the rest of fr god/goddesess would care. Even goodly ones like ilmater have their sneaky agenda
or kelemvor like myrkul said in nwn2 motb "With all his pragmatism, he can be much crueler than i" but one god i do respect though is Oghma, maybe the god of knowledge could write up some laws about gay marriage.

BTW anyone want to send this topic to any fr authors??

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  15:27:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:

BTW anyone want to send this topic to any fr authors??
Some of us are already reading with considerable interest. Please, do go on.

I don't think that the church of Bane has anything against same-sex unions or poly-amorous arrangements (any more than the surrounding culture does), but as discussed above, I'm fairly sure that those relationships do have a significant dominance/submission factor to them. (With the Banite as likely to be the dom or sub, as a close relationship offers the chance to relax one's control at least temporarily.)

What about a *secret* marriage story? A Banite priest/paladin fulfills his usual domineering duties for the temple, but also carries on a secret relationship outside the faith--possibly with a devotee of another faith entirely. Eh?

Remember--just because someone is evil by alignment doesn't mean that person doesn't have emotions or desires like any other person. The evil person who does evil things because he/she loves his/her family, partner, etc., is way more interesting than the evil-for-evil's-sake villain.

I do think that "mature relationship" stories don't fly as much in fantasy as "fall in love and vanquish the threat" sort of stories do, at the basic genre level. This is, after all, fantasy, and there is at least a perception in publishing (and the sales numbers do bear it out) that people are WAY more interested in the escape of early romance, rather than developed relationships. There's a reason we don't hear much from heroes after they "settle down."

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  16:32:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

What about a *secret* marriage story? A Banite priest/paladin fulfills his usual domineering duties for the temple, but also carries on a secret relationship outside the faith--possibly with a devotee of another faith entirely. Eh?

Remember--just because someone is evil by alignment doesn't mean that person doesn't have emotions or desires like any other person. The evil person who does evil things because he/she loves his/her family, partner, etc., is way more interesting than the evil-for-evil's-sake villain.

Possibly among low-ranking priests only. The ones in higher position would most likely avoid it, as their deities would probably discourage them. Being in position, they could easily exchange crucial information about their faiths that their gods might deem destructive. And we must take Cyricists out of the picture---Bane hates Cyric so much he'd rather be perished than ally with him or let his priests associate with his clergy.

quote:

I do think that "mature relationship" stories don't fly as much in fantasy as "fall in love and vanquish the threat" sort of stories do, at the basic genre level. This is, after all, fantasy, and there is at least a perception in publishing (and the sales numbers do bear it out) that people are WAY more interested in the escape of early romance, rather than developed relationships. There's a reason we don't hear much from heroes after they "settle down."

Cheers

Indeed. ['Tis the reason I dislike Resnick's The Purifying Fire. She turned it into a sloppy romance.]

Edited by - Dennis on 16 May 2011 16:38:49
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  17:53:13  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Possibly among low-ranking priests only. The ones in higher position would most likely avoid it, as their deities would probably discourage them. Being in position, they could easily exchange crucial information about their faiths that their gods might deem destructive.
Ah, but that just makes the stakes that much higher, doesn't it?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2011 :  18:06:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

Possibly among low-ranking priests only. The ones in higher position would most likely avoid it, as their deities would probably discourage them. Being in position, they could easily exchange crucial information about their faiths that their gods might deem destructive. And we must take Cyricists out of the picture---Bane hates Cyric so much he'd rather be perished than ally with him or let his priests associate with his clergy.

I think it would depend on the deity, actually... Obviously, a Banite wanting to marry a Mystran or a Helmite is going to have issues with his superiors, should they find this out, and Bane would prolly signal his disapproval, as well. But a priest(ess) of someone like Malar, Mask, Loviatar or Talona -- all listed allies of Bane -- shouldn't be as much of an issue for a Banite priest(ess).

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000