Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FR players guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  06:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think she's talking about the actual topic of this thread . . . .

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2003 :  07:38:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That doesn't sound right...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

William of Waterdeep
Senior Scribe

USA
829 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2003 :  00:25:27  Show Profile  Visit William of Waterdeep's Homepage Send William of Waterdeep a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Ack, at least this doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be.

see,I told you white robes go with anything.

Courage isn't the lack of fear but rather believing in and doing what you know is right even though fear is present.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  05:33:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First official preview is out:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20040305a

Can you spot the error?
Personally, I'm looking forward to this.
However, those bits at the end..."something never done for D&D before"...I wonder?
Speculations? Thoughts? Dreams? Flames?
And yes, this post is asking to be moderated...
*Holds out hands for a smack from Alaundo*

EDIT: Yes, my post above was talking about the topic of this thread.

Edited by - Arivia on 06 Mar 2004 05:34:40
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  06:03:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arivia, I've already created a scroll for general discussion about the preview, and the other tidbits WotC will release about this product.

I'm sure Alaundo would prefer for you to use that scroll for the discussion on this new release material...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  06:39:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just trying to keep it all to the same topic, Sage...
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2004 :  09:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Worry not, Arivia. You did nothing wrong Lets discuss the excerpts and WotC web-based material over in The Sages scroll and once then actual tome itself is released then we can discuss it over here

Oh, whats this!? Theres a loose scroll by Rad over here, but ill pop that over on the archive shelf I suppose.

::scratches head annoyingly at the sight of loose scrolls::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 06 Mar 2004 09:56:48
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  02:06:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Worry not, Arivia. You did nothing wrong Lets discuss the excerpts and WotC web-based material over in The Sages scroll and once then actual tome itself is released then we can discuss it over here

Oh, whats this!? Theres a loose scroll by Rad over here, but ill pop that over on the archive shelf I suppose.

::scratches head annoyingly at the sight of loose scrolls::

Indeed...

Arivia I did not mean to 'attack' your move here regarding the recent previews of the PGtF released. I just thought it was more appropriate to keep the previews discussion, and the actual discussion about the tome separate.

Please accept my apologies if I caused you any stress or anger over this...

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2004 :  02:31:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apology accepted.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2004 :  22:53:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, just got back from the store after waiting for a half hour to pick this up.

I've basically only skimmed through chapter 1 so far, plus a few other things through the book. The sections on Knowledge(local) and the revised region selection guidelines clear a few things up, and a few of the new feats are...interesting. Otherworldly would have to be one of those, which makes a Deep Imaskar, elf, or spirit folk a native outsider, and grants them darkvision and a bonus on Diplomacy checks.

A few other things I looked at:
Revised Incantatrix-I'll have to playtest this one first. There's still a vestige of the mandatory specialization(which, if I remember correctly, was stated as the largest problem when updating the class), and it did gain some nice abilities with continous effects. However, it did lose most of the "extraplanar opponent" focus, by losing see ethereal, strike ethereal, and send away, in addition to drain item. At least it still gets the bonus epic feat...
Complete Spell List-The Magic chapter does contain something nice: a spell list for every class with every FR spell on it-including the two or three from Monsters of Faerun. The spell list isn't the be all and end all, though-it doesn't have the PHB spells on it.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  02:51:21  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting... Elves are native outsiders? When did this come about? I know they originally came from Faerie, but.....

As for reading, I have yet to pick up the tome from my local bookstore...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  03:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, not all elves. It's one of the new regional feats.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  03:26:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, just got back from the store after waiting for a half hour to pick this up.

How does the updated timeline look? All recent events in Faerun included?
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  04:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you consider only covering the events of War of the Spider Queen and the Archwizards trilogy all recent events, then yes.
There's nothing else covered, but those two are covered in some detail.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  04:21:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

How does the updated timeline look? All recent events in Faerun included?

Most of the chapter is a summary on the return of Shade and up to book three of the Spider Queen novels. Then there are some rumors that deal with those two events. It could have been better.... :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  15:19:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If you consider only covering the events of War of the Spider Queen and the Archwizards trilogy all recent events, then yes.
There's nothing else covered, but those two are covered in some detail.

So, just the RSEs are given space. Figures. Thank you Arivia for your reply.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  15:21:25  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Most of the chapter is a summary on the return of Shade and up to book three of the Spider Queen novels. Then there are some rumors that deal with those two events. It could have been better.... :(

There's a shock. <insert rolling eye smilie here, any news on that Alaundo? please?>

If that chapter had been better, a prestige class might have been dropped. What's the matter with you kuje31? I can't have any madness like that touching my Realms books. <insert you know what here>
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  19:32:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

There's a shock. <insert rolling eye smilie here, any news on that Alaundo? please?>

If that chapter had been better, a prestige class might have been dropped. What's the matter with you kuje31? I can't have any madness like that touching my Realms books. <insert you know what here>

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE gods! No not another prestige class being cut! The HORROR! We can't have that, No that just won't do! Cut some of that flavor text, there we go all better! :) (Need a sarcastic smilie.... :))

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  09:57:27  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got hold of a copy of PGtF yesterday. Very well presented and a worthwhile product. Much of the content isnt directly useful to myself personally, at least not yet, as I dont get giddy about Prestige Classes, yet more spells etc. as my campaigns are heavy role-playing rather than built around stats and combat, but I can see that it will appeal to the majority of FR players.
The Campaign Journals section is great, shame its not longer and got more than just the return of Shade and Lloths silence. For those a bit more unfamiliar with the Realms, it would have been nice for WotC to mention spoilers and list which novels to read for these events
The Cosmology section is very impressive and imformative also.
I can see me reading this product for quite some time to come, and I AM very intrigued by some of the Prestige Classes, to a point where I think that this product alone will encourage me to look into these more and incorportate them in my campaign.
Based on an overall view as a gamer, id rate this product 8.5 out of 10.... likely rising to a 9 over the next week

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  12:28:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Cosmology section is probably the area of PGtF that I will focus on the most, at least at first.

Tell me Rad, does it make any substantial improvements to the FRCS planar cosmology? Could you provide a brief outline of the changes, if at all possible?.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  15:58:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ENWorld's thread on the guide has quite a bit of discussion on the crunch being unbalanced. There's something I haven't heard before. <insert rolling eyes smilie here>
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  16:45:15  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The Cosmology section is probably the area of PGtF that I will focus on the most, at least at first.

Tell me Rad, does it make any substantial improvements to the FRCS planar cosmology? Could you provide a brief outline of the changes, if at all possible?.

Its a lot more detailed, Sage, the cosmology diagram is a tenfold inprovement on that in the FRCS. All planes (elemental, fiendish, celestial are fully described in this section rather than the mere sentence they received in the FRCS. Im sure youll enjoy this section Basically its expanded material from first glances, I was personally pleasantly surprised as to its content

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:04:11  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a big fan of the Planescape setting myself, I'm sure I'd enjoy it too, as the planes have always fascinated me...

Rad, does it explain what deities have realms on these planes, and give a detailed explanation, or just say, "These are the Demonweb Pits. Lolth lives here. Selvetarm lives here. Vhaeraun lives here..."

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  18:41:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part of the planar cosmology I don't care for is that each racial pantheon, Faerun's, Maztica's, Zakhara's, Kara-Tur's, etc, all have a different and seperate Astral Plane connecting to Toril. So thats at least 4 seperate Astral's that connect to Toril. It seems a bit strange.....

Also I don't care for Eilistraee being back in Arvandor, since she exiled herself from it centuries ago.

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  19:07:19  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it was a self-imposed exile, so if she was ready to come back, she came back.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  20:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadowlord

Rad, does it explain what deities have realms on these planes, and give a detailed explanation, or just say, "These are the Demonweb Pits. Lolth lives here. Selvetarm lives here. Vhaeraun lives here..."

It gives a little more info than that Shadowlord. Basically for most of the planes it gives general info and traits and goes into more detail for inhabitants (deities and creatures etc) and goes on to list main features of the plane, such as geographical areas. As you can imagine, a number of planes are just refered back to the D&D Manual of Planes.

I also correct myself on what I mentioned in an earlier post about the Campaign Journal chapter - As an introduction to the timeline it DOES state to read the Return of the Archwizards Trilogy and War of the Spider Queen series for more info!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  20:36:51  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, thanks for clarifying that.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  20:40:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, it was a self-imposed exile, so if she was ready to come back, she came back.

That's good and all, but tell us why she decided to return to Arvandor then. If you are exiled then there had to be a reason why you would return to a place where you almost killed your father. But we probably will never learn why she returned to Arvandor besides the standard WOTC, "We wanted her there, so that is why she is there. We don't need to give you a reason why we changed it."

Go to Top of Page

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  20:53:03  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, well that's true... Personally, I find it annoying that WotC moves deities' home planes around, then say, "He/She wanted a more exotic locale..." "It just happened, no one knows why..." and so on.

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  21:25:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, well that's true... Personally, I find it annoying that WotC moves deities' home planes around, then say, "He/She wanted a more exotic locale..." "It just happened, no one knows why..." and so on.

Yup, Yup. :) Which was my point. I don't mind the changes when they are given a explaination on why so and so got changed or why this deity moved to here. I've complained about it before on the WOTC boards about Xara in the Silver Marches sourcebook. She went from being good and having a fairy dragon familiar to being evil and having an imp familiar. I asked Rich why and how this came about and his answer was, "Well there is no in game reason really. I just wanted an evil character in Silverymoon so I changed her."

Great thanks, a lot. At least make up a story on why she changed from the old the North box set to the Silver Marches stat block. Or why Eilistraee returned to Arvandor after some 10,000+ years of exile.....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000