Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 FR players guide
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shadowlord
Master of Realmslore

USA
1298 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2004 :  21:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Shadowlord's Homepage Send Shadowlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see someone else here shares my views.

At least in FRCS they gave a reason why Scyulla Darkhope(sp?) became a blackguard. I wish they'd do that more often...

The Chosen of Vhaeraun
"Nature is governed by certain immutable rules. By virtue of claw and fang, the lion will always triumph over the goat.Given time, the pounding of the sea will wear away the stone. And when dark elves mingle with the lighter races, the offspring invariably take after the dark parent. It is all much the same. That which is greater shall prevail. Our numbers increase steadily, both through birth and conquest. The dark elves are the dominant race, so ordained by the gods." Ka'Narlist of the Ilythiiri.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  03:23:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31
Also I don't care for Eilistraee being back in Arvandor, since she exiled herself from it centuries ago.

Interesting. I agree this change needs some explanation. Are they providing some hint for the WOTSQ's conclusion?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  04:47:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Also I don't care for Eilistraee being back in Arvandor, since she exiled herself from it centuries ago.

Interesting. I agree this change needs some explanation. Are they providing some hint for the WOTSQ's conclusion?

Let us hope...... But I doubt we'll be given an explaination since accordly to 3e, the FR planes have never been a part of the Wheel/Ring and they have always been the tree thing.

But maybe for once I am wrong and the last two Spider Queen novels will answer why she returned... (Crosses Fingers)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  04:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any ideas why Wizards lists it as being out... but Amazon says it's not published until like April7?

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  05:37:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No clue. It is out though, as I do have a copy...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31722 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  05:57:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Part of the planar cosmology I don't care for is that each racial pantheon, Faerun's, Maztica's, Zakhara's, Kara-Tur's, etc, all have a different and seperate Astral Plane connecting to Toril. So thats at least 4 seperate Astral's that connect to Toril. It seems a bit strange.....

Frankly, I'm not surprised by this, and, in a way, I was more than a little certain such an Astral Plane structure would be coming in the revised FR cosmology.

Several times throughout some of the older PS tomes, it mentions that a number of different racial pantheons (across several hundred Material Planes) - the Faerunian, Maztican, Zakharan, and Kara-Turian - had the ability to access a special folded-area of the all-encompassing Astral Plane. While they would not be considered separate transitive planes themselves, they did make use of a series of specially created Astral Conduits that only deities from a select pantheon could access.

Obviously, WotC have expanded upon this idea, and given the separate pantheons their own entire Astral Planes. Although, it also wouldn't surprise me to find out that these separate Astral Planes, are merely pockets in the actual and complete MotP 3e interpretation of the Astral Plane.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2004 :  14:54:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

Any ideas why Wizards lists it as being out... but Amazon says it's not published until like April7?

Amazon is always horribly behind when it comes to new WOTC releases. The situation with them is even worse when it comes to D20 products. If you want to purchase it online both FRP games and RGP shop have it available.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  18:37:48  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've only noticed Amazon being behind a few times... but the fact that most of the time they do 30% off most of the DnD books above $10 usually makes me wanna get a bunch through them... even the occasion when they do 60%-80% (like they had for Draconomicon, complete warrior, DL Campaign, and another...)

Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2004 :  20:15:00  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Support your local hobby shop.

If possible, some cities don't have them.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  05:21:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sarta

Support your local hobby shop.

If possible, some cities don't have them.

Sarta

Find me one worth supporting. It doesn't exist where I live. Oh, we have a local hobby shop, it's...lacking in many ways.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  06:35:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't mind the changes when they are given a explaination on why so and so got changed or why this deity moved to here.

I concur fully with this point. As I've pointed out over on the Wizards forums, when 2nd edition came out, they made a huge event to explain all thses changes in the Realms. And yet, the changes from 1st edition to 2nd edition weren't really all that dramatic.

3rd edition comes out, and without even looking at all the retconning, we have some pretty serious changes going on. Add in all the retcons, and they've changed the Realms in a major way. But what kind of in-game explanation do we get? Zip, zero, zilch, nada. I recall reading an explanation about sorcerers popping up: "Oh, they've always been around, but no one knew about it."

I can dig wanting to put a different spin on something. I can dig a change that is explained in a believable manner. What I can't dig is all the changes that we're getting because they simply decide they like something better this new way. They all but said they don't care about those of us who've been buying stuff since the old grey box -- they're simply going for the new people.

Okay, rant over. Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  16:58:29  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can agree with that. Of course, the sorcerer would be hard to explain in the first place. Sure, the average no-magic peasant probably coudn't tell the difference between sorcerer and wizard, and the bard's magic is similar as well. But that doesn't mean that PCs that should know better wouldn't know.

I don't really mind it, I suppose. But like you, I'd wish for something that doesn't sound like this:

"Hey, Bob! I just realized, we don't have any explainations for these changes! This goes to press in two weeks! What do we do?"

"Don't worry, Larry. Our stuff is just so freakin' cool, they won't care!"

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  17:58:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think more RSEs to explain all those changes would have added insult to injury.

As we know, sorcerers were already in the Realms -- just not as common and not quite as 3E materials depict them.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2004 :  18:16:32  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As I've mentioned before elsewhere, the sorcerer class should be very, very rare. The way that the gameplay caters to sorcerers is fine in one respect -- you have to keep it balanced with respect to the other classes, so when you add things you want to make sure sorcerers can get some bonuses -- like the +1 sorcerer caster level in regard to some of the spells in the Draconomicon; that was a nice touch.

But one of the problems is that a sorcerer isn't supposed to be common. It's supposed to be that only a small fraction of mages are actually sorcerers. The rules just don't reflect that, unfortunately.

So, again, my interpretation is that after a while, people are beginning to notice sorcery as different from wizardry, and learning to tap into the Weave in the same way. It's no longer dependant on inborn talent. Just like with wizards, anyone with the basic ability (represented by the ability score) can do it.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Sarta
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  01:20:43  Show Profile Send Sarta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually really liked the way Richard Baker portrayed Jack Ravenwild in City of Ravens. I felt that it depicted a sorceror with no mentor really well. He knew he could do certain things, but wasn't exactly sure how it worked and was nervous to rely on it. You sort of got the impression that he was some sort of freak or wild talent.

Sarta
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2004 :  04:24:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm
"Don't worry, Larry. Our stuff is just so freakin' cool, they won't care!"

Do they say that before they put on their black sunglasses that make them look like Crocket from Miami Vice?

I finally got the guide today. The art does look just as good in print as it did online. Look forward to getting a chance in the next few days to read through the guide throughly.
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2004 :  06:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*blehs as he had posted in the wrong thread... but ah well... places in the correct thread now...*

::Proceeds to fall out of his chair laughing as he just got the Player's Guide to Faerun and starts to look through it... only to get to the races and notice that either the pictures... or the subtitles for the gold dwarves and grey dwarves were switched around... so the picture for the grey dwarf is labeled as a gold... and the picture for the gold dwarf is labeled as a grey::

Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  19:21:17  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... after i finally got around to looking through my new copy... i've noticed i'm a lucky one at getting a mis-printed/manufactured copy of the book...
from like page 177 on, each page has an extra 1/2-inch or so part cut off from the bottom, and the pages are then shifted down (meaning no page numbers are on those pages) and at the top is a small white bar with some rainbow-colors like those that some printers use as a color-test...
i was needing to know if i'm missing anything on those pages... other than just the page numbers?
on page 177 it's cut off right below the 10th level bonuses and animal aspect special... most of the pages from there on are cut off at that spot also...
if anyone can let me know if there's anything from 177 on that's missing any info other than the page #'s, it'd be appreciated...

I'm tempted to keep it if i'm not missing anything, since it could be worth money being mis-manufactured...

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  20:07:27  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

hmm... after i finally got around to looking through my new copy... i've noticed i'm a lucky one at getting a mis-printed/manufactured copy of the book...
from like page 177 on, each page has an extra 1/2-inch or so part cut off from the bottom, and the pages are then shifted down (meaning no page numbers are on those pages) and at the top is a small white bar with some rainbow-colors like those that some printers use as a color-test...
i was needing to know if i'm missing anything on those pages... other than just the page numbers?
on page 177 it's cut off right below the 10th level bonuses and animal aspect special... most of the pages from there on are cut off at that spot also...
if anyone can let me know if there's anything from 177 on that's missing any info other than the page #'s, it'd be appreciated...

I'm tempted to keep it if i'm not missing anything, since it could be worth money being mis-manufactured...

Zacas. My copy doesn't have this printing error. What I have as the last line of information for page 177 before the page number is the 10th level bonus for The Black Blood Hunter. If you wish to check on any other pages let me know and I'll gladly let you know if you are missing any information. However, from what you described and my view of my copy, it looks like just the page number. Still annoying if you ask me for someone to end up with a copy like that.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  22:39:42  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IN regards to Eilistraee, it is peculiar that she is back in Arvandor, but glad that she is. It first mentioned her "home plane" was in Arvandor in Faith and Pantheons. Maybe Eric Boyd could explain her sudden return there.

I am just glad that finally it mentions that Psionics in the Realms isn't Weave or Shadow Weave dependent. That the lifeforce of the person is the source.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2004 :  23:34:16  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

IN regards to Eilistraee, it is peculiar that she is back in Arvandor, but glad that she is. It first mentioned her "home plane" was in Arvandor in Faith and Pantheons. Maybe Eric Boyd could explain her sudden return there.

Actually it's first mentioned in the FRCS. They had to stick her some where since Ysgard doesn't exist in the FR tree, but they could of at least explained why she was welcomed back into Arvandor instead of just retconning it with, "it just happened, you don't need to know why."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2004 :  02:06:15  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well if i recall right... from the 'Elven Bible' as the Evermeet novel is dubbed around here... she wasn't technically booted out... as Corellon wanted her to stay... but it was her choice to leave at the time... so most likely the offer to stay/return has always been open to her... and maybe she finally decided to take it.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000