Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Martians
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  20:34:34  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
How would you make sort of a Martian invasion or War of the Worlds scenario on Toril. Are there any D&D creatures that would work and did any kind of alien appearance happen in the planet's history. I've seen the githyanki scenario from Dragon Magazine, they don't appear suitable.

z455t

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  20:54:54  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well using SpellJamer/Realmspace appears to be the the quickest way to plot out something like that. A source book indicates that the Neogi have or had interest in attacking elves in space.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  21:36:39  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The neogi and the mind flayers are hard to camouflage. So far I've found the fraal from the Monstrous Compendium, they give a ''white martian'' vibe, only appear in small groups so far.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  21:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
combined Illithid attack via spaceships (as per Spelljammer/Realmspace) and from below ground from their lairs there

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2010 :  22:03:19  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

The neogi and the mind flayers are hard to camouflage. So far I've found the fraal from the Monstrous Compendium, they give a ''white martian'' vibe, only appear in small groups so far.

Well, the Martians in War of the Worlds didn't exactly bother to camouflage themselves - death-ray shooting tripods not being that common in the late 19th century.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  01:17:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you read the write-up of Oryndoll in Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, you'll note Eric Boyd suggests pretty strongly that the illithids arrived in the Realms circa -11,000 DR from the planet of Glyth via spelljammers.

You could certainly shape that into a kind of "War of the Worlds" scenario.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  02:18:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love the scro, meself, so I would do something like a scro invasion of Myth Drannor or Evereska.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  03:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Use real martians! There was a Gothic Earth setting set in 1890's earth. Perfect time period for War of the Worlds, which was published in 1898. We know there are connections between the Realms and Earth (D&D Earth), portals, planar rifts, spelljamming, etc. Assume that martians of the War of the Worlds from the Mars of Gothic Earth used martian science to either open a portal from Gothic Earth Space to Realmspace or discovered the principles of spelljamming. Consequently, these martians have established a base on say, Selūne, or one of the Tears, or maybe Anadia (which has a desert climate, perhaps amenable to the martian temperment). From there they can stage an invasion of Toril.

You will have to create your own stats for martians, or you can adapt an existing monster. Perhaps Athach might make a good base creature (3 arms). Or you could use Neogi slavers. Or Grell. Or Beholders. Or any subspecies of Illithid (such as neothelid).

Not to mention that the spelljammer setting has tons of ideas for D&D adventures involving space, spaceships and aliens suitable for a Realms campaign.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  04:09:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always liked the Necromunger of Chronicles of Riddick myself, for a world-invasion; they don't need to be non-human to be inhumane.

Then again, I picture the Shades being very much like the Necromungers (the whole 'half-dead' thing), so maybe you could spin it in such a way that they were merely the advance-force, sent ahead to establish a beach-head.

Soon, dozens of city-ships will dropping out of the sky, launching magic-tech skyships by the thousands - it could be like War of the Worlds, Riddick, and Independance day all rolled into one.

I would use the Jaks from Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms as well, in lieu of Martian tripods. If you wanted to keep the three-legged theme, there was a monster in 1e called a tirapheg (1e FF) - very alien looking - don't know if it was ever statted in latter editions. Xorn could work as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 07 Aug 2010 04:10:06
Go to Top of Page

Saxmilian
Learned Scribe

USA
157 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  04:49:39  Show Profile  Visit Saxmilian's Homepage Send Saxmilian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spellweavers come from differnet dimensions to steal magic items, i always liked them, but id say make your own creatures. adds to the mystery of the invasion.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  05:09:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I would use the Jaks from Warmachine/Iron Kingdoms as well, in lieu of Martian tripods.

You know, a cabal of extraplanar necromancers would allow you to drop some Cryx stuff in... Just tweak some of them a bit, like giving bile thralls a true breath weapon, instead of the gun-looking thing... Let's watch the paladin soil his armor when he attempts to turn the Deathjack and nothing happens!

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2010 :  13:39:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a Mars/Barsoom in Oerth's solar system -- Martians (Red, Black, Yellow and White) have been part of D&D since the original boxed set . . .
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2010 :  07:43:55  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are many options, the Lankhmar thread reminded me of Ashkalites (camouflage). Barsoom could work well.

Alternatively, I like the spellweaver idea the most. Replace Mars with Anadia (similar environment), they'd be like the white martians, ''geomantic'' builders of the pyramid and the canals on Mars. The kreen would like the green martians, their locust-like hordes. The anadjin (Realmspace) could be the alien armor of elite, hunter units.

BTW In my hombrew I wanted to have the Suel people from Oerth in the Realms, I imagined them as white martians that settled in the past in the Quoya desert (equivalent of Gobi, it was like when the Chinese found aryan-looking mummies there). The Suel branched into the Shou and Thayans (explains the racism and the Scarlet Brotherhood).
Go to Top of Page

Salius Kai
Learned Scribe

USA
217 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  00:10:37  Show Profile  Visit Salius Kai's Homepage Send Salius Kai a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, they may not be War of the World themed, but there actualy are alien creatures in D&D. The pseudonatural creature (page 160 of Complete Arcane) is meant to be an otherworldly being. There's even an arcane prestige class to go with it. The "Alienist" (page 21 of Complete Arcane).

"Welcome to these walls of infinite knowledge."

Salius Kai
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  04:02:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been kicking around a Cryx invasion since it was brought up the other day... It's becoming more and more of a fun idea to me! Just tweak the stuff enough to remove the steampunk angle, maybe replacing it with a mix of undead and fiendish stuff... And oh my, IK dragons are freaking scary! Modify Toruk a bit to make him fit more into a regular D&D world, and he'd be munching on red great wyrms for lunch! He could prolly take Krynn's Dragon Highlords without any problems!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Aug 2010 04:03:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  04:27:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

He could prolly take Krynn's Dragon Highlords without any problems!

Actually, I disagree. I've worked on comparisons between the stats and abilities for IK dragon lords and the Dragon Highlords of Krynn [as presented in 3e]. It's not as clear cut as you'd think -- especially with some of the material presented in the Age of Mortals sourcebook.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  04:35:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

He could prolly take Krynn's Dragon Highlords without any problems!

Actually, I disagree. I've worked on comparisons between the stats and abilities for IK dragon lords and the Dragon Highlords of Krynn [as presented in 3e]. It's not as clear cut as you'd think -- especially with some of the material presented in the Age of Mortals sourcebook.

Well, considering that Toruk is the daddy of the IK dragons, and they're pretty freaking scary, I think he'd be much, much nastier.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  05:31:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you might be right on that now. I'd actually forgotten what Toruk was like, but a quick lunch-time review just reminded me. Scary stuff indeed!

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  19:44:52  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys, I got a lot of ideas to think about. Who are the Crix? I want to continue in Halruaa, what do you think about the skyships, how do they compare in maneuverability and fighting power against the spelljammers? Also will involve the Shadow Rift in the Shaar.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  00:22:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Thanks guys, I got a lot of ideas to think about. Who are the Crix? I want to continue in Halruaa, what do you think about the skyships, how do they compare in maneuverability and fighting power against the spelljammers? Also will involve the Shadow Rift in the Shaar.

Cryx is one of the factions in the Warmachine game. It's officially billed as "Full Metal Fantasy," but it's basically a blend of steampunk and fantasy. Cryx uses undead and lots of necromancers. They're nowhere near as cool as my faction, Cygnar (the best faction of them all! ), but they have some scary stuff... And a lot of Warmachine stuff can be used in D&D, because there's an RPG version -- the Iron Kingdoms.

Skyships are not at all maneuverable, especially against spelljammers. And most skyships aren't armed, whereas most spelljammers are armed with anywhere from 1 to 4 ballistae, catapults, or other similar fun stuff.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Aug 2010 00:23:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  01:36:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I want to continue in Halruaa, what do you think about the skyships, how do they compare in maneuverability and fighting power against the spelljammers? Also will involve the Shadow Rift in the Shaar.
Heh. We know from previous Realmslore that some skyships carry spelljamming helms. You could always combine the two and provide the skyship with a somewhat increased advantage in terms of power.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  01:37:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cryx is one of the factions in the Warmachine game. It's officially billed as "Full Metal Fantasy," but it's basically a blend of steampunk and fantasy. Cryx uses undead and lots of necromancers. They're nowhere near as cool as my faction, Cygnar (the best faction of them all! ), but they have some scary stuff... And a lot of Warmachine stuff can be used in D&D, because there's an RPG version -- the Iron Kingdoms.
It's also one of the most detailed RPGs to come out of the 3e/OGL/third-party era of D&D. I own most all of the published materials for the setting, and they've been a great addition to many of my established other-world campaigns, as well as a stand-alone campaign setting itself.

Edited by - The Sage on 12 Aug 2010 01:38:47
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  02:43:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It's also one of the most detailed RPGs to come out of the 3e/OGL/third-party era of D&D. I own most all of the published materials for the setting, and they've been a great addition to many of my established other-world campaigns, as well as a stand-alone campaign setting itself.

Indeed. I'm still trying to get the last three books, myself (the Witchfire Trilogy), but I've been very impressed with the material -- particularly the Monsternomicon tomes, easily my fave monster books of any D&D era or setting. And I would so love to play a Gun Mage! They're among my favorite troops to field, and I love the concept of a pistol-packing spellslinger!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  03:08:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I would so love to play a Gun Mage! They're among my favorite troops to field, and I love the concept of a pistol-packing spellslinger!
As do I. And I've spent long-hours trying to fit both concepts into my on-again/off-again SPELLJAMMER campaign. I even borrowed a few similarly-themed ideas from the old d20 Shadow of the Spider Moon module.

Go to Top of Page

Kno
Senior Scribe

452 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  15:58:33  Show Profile Send Kno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've decided against a Lovecraftian theme, that is getting old, all in favor of a steampunkesque Gothic Earth springing from the Shaar.

z455t
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  16:59:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

I've decided against a Lovecraftian theme, that is getting old, all in favor of a steampunkesque Gothic Earth springing from the Shaar.

Iron Kingdoms can give you plenty of fantasy/steampunk stuff to work with.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2010 :  17:07:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kno

Along with the recommendation for Iron Kingdoms, I'd also recommend you seek out the few books released for the third-party 3e/OGL Etherscope campaign setting. It's one of the few steampunk-esque gems of the OGL-era.

Go to Top of Page

Amraz one arm
Acolyte

Netherlands
42 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2010 :  17:06:18  Show Profile  Visit Amraz one arm's Homepage Send Amraz one arm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about Imaskari descendents - returned from space after spending 3 millenia there. Since they where artificers, it not a long jump too; incoperating once life essence into machines and the like.

"You smell human to me."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31743 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  01:42:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amraz one arm

How about Imaskari descendents - returned from space after spending 3 millenia there. Since they where artificers, it not a long jump too; incoperating once life essence into machines and the like.

Ah, yes. I can see it now. These Imaskari descendants return to Toril, but are now symbiotic creatures, sharing their existence with strange parasitic organisms. Modelling themselves as the gods of the ancient Egyptian pantheon on Earth, they are worshipped by vast slaves armies set to conquer worlds throughout the multiverse in their gods' names.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  02:09:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That'd be an angle to allow one to work in some of the nifty psionic grafts from Drak Sun material... Just make them magical, instead, and you've got something really freaky for the players to encounter.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36800 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2010 :  02:09:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Amraz one arm

Ah, yes. I can see it now. These Imaskari descendants return to Toril, but are now symbiotic creatures, sharing their existence with strange parasitic organisms. Modelling themselves as the gods of the ancient Egyptian pantheon on Earth, they are worshipped by vast slaves armies set to conquer worlds throughout the multiverse in their gods' names.

Haven't I seen this idea somewhere before?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000