Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Villain's Childhoods.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  04:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So, is there any lore or information on any of the big villains childhoods?

I'm curious as to what kind of games that Fzoul did. (Tag? Hide and Seek? Was he a momma's boy who ran to her for cookies?)

What about Szass Tam? Did he ever have a first kiss as a preteen? Maybe this girl was a vampire, and thus his love of undead and necromancy.

Larloch! Did he have an older brother or sister? Was he ever grounded by his parents?

All creatures are defined by how they are raised and taught by their guardians. I'm wondering what kind of childhood they had. (The earlier the better)

I mean did any parent hug their newborn child, smile and go "Oh my, your such a little angel... your going to rule Thay and kill so many!"

What about afterwards. Did any bullies of Fzoul crap their pants at the idea that Bane's super pet may go after them? Did any of the parents of any Zuiklers regret not spanking or punishing their child enough.

I know, stupid question. Just curious as to what childhood any of these may had. The younger the better. No doubt in my mind that not all of them were evil from birth. They were at one point naive and trusting of adults, scared of death, crying at night for their parents.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  05:14:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only villain's childhood I have ever seen detailed was Artemis Entreri's. There was a short story, and also quite a bit of background when he went home at the end of the last novel.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Dracons
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  05:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Dracons's Homepage Send Dracons a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I read about that too. It's why he hates parents that try to use children as protection.

Part of the reason I'm wanting to learn more about other villain's past.

I love PMs! Please send me a message. Even if its Hi.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  09:28:11  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There were some bits about Manshoon's early years in either Ruins of Zhentil Keep or Vilain's Lorebook (I think - books nor regular laptop with PDFs with me right now). Not much about his actual childhood, as I remember, but something about his formative years (where he did in his older brother). Plus, in a recent post, Big Ed has all but confirmed that Manshoon still has a surviving sister and some nephews / nieces running around.
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  09:48:56  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the topic, there were bits of Sememmon and Ashemmi's childhood in the Dragon article about them.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  11:09:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

On the topic, there were bits of Sememmon and Ashemmi's childhood in the Dragon article about them.

'Twas DRAGON #357.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  22:02:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My story in RotD contained a book that was supposedly an autobiography of Szass Tam . . . but even the characters in the story were pretty sure it was a fake.

Rest assured that villains do indeed have childhood stories--mine certainly do, and I hope to drop hints and whatnot throughout my work.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  22:23:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can learn a lot about a villain by looking into his past...

His family, his loves, his education...

Very interesting subject.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Jul 2010 23:43:40
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2010 :  23:44:37  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
But I'm one of the 'good guys'!

Point for you - that was a rather ironic spelling error.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  00:57:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It happens to the best of us, MT. Particularly if the button does not register when you type a letter. I get that problem a lot, too.... On-topic, what about Jarlaxle's childhood? That would be an interesting story, for certain! I'd especially like to know the part about how/why he survived being "sacrificed" as a babe. What was THAT all about?!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  01:14:01  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

It happens to the best of us, MT. Particularly if the button does not register when you type a letter. I get that problem a lot, too.... On-topic, what about Jarlaxle's childhood? That would be an interesting story, for certain! I'd especially like to know the part about how/why he survived being "sacrificed" as a babe. What was THAT all about?!

Well...Jarlaxle was dropped on his head just after birth and was dead for long enough that when he was revived it was all good

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 19 Jul 2010 01:14:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  01:30:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

My story in RotD contained a book that was supposedly an autobiography of Szass Tam . . . but even the characters in the story were pretty sure it was a fake.
Strangely enough, this particular snippet became a curious possibility for a piece of Realms-music I *tried* to compose. But I just can't seem to find the right mix of byzantine intrigue to drop into the piece.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  10:32:27  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

There were a few fanfics covering Jarlaxle's childhood. Do a google search for "Dragon Library".

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:00:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're not talking about the one where he finds a portal and has... relations... with Hermione Granger, are you?

I was so disgusted by it, I had to read it six times (in disbelief)!

Just kidding, BTW... if such a thing exists then there is someone more warped then I...

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2010 :  18:03:55  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more interested in a CANON story, on that front. Anyone know on any juicy stuff not in the Sellswords books?

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000