Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  09:37:07  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Stupid question: have you ever looked at the folklore from the position of FR?

As far as I remember there has been very little said about the faery tales, local legends, "old wives tales", superstitions and every-day myths of the Realms. There are few comments in Ed's various posts but little else that I can think of. The recent answers concerning spirits of the Realms could give some ideas concerning the honouring of local traditions and legends.

I always prefer to see these as far more important (and in many areas truer) than the information that has been given about the deities and their goals/personalties where most peoples lives are concerned.The same goes for stories and myths concerning the gods themselves. I always missed a bit more mythological tales and traditions for the Realms, with local variations and beliefs. And I am not talking about something that can be translated into facts. The story of Bane, Bhaal and Myrkul works well as a legend, but I cant get myself to believe it to be a true tale. The same goes for stuff like the Dawn Cataclysm.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  09:39:47  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you ever looked at the fairytale and said "Stupid heroes... They failed their wisdom check." or thought what kind of dragon that was, metallic or chromatic.

Ah sorry, I misunderstood you. I never do/did that, but then I started reading myths and faery tales long before I got into RPG's, so its more of the opposite for me. I might wonder how I could transport something from a story into gaming, but I never think of it the other way around.
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  10:14:20  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Have you ever looked at the fairytale and said "Stupid heroes... They failed their wisdom check." or thought what kind of dragon that was, metallic or chromatic.

I think it's stolen into my thoughts at times, but not a lot. Mostly, those thoughts come when I look at modern fantasy tales (movies, books). I often find myself labeling characters with D&D alignments and classes, lol. Or thinking how I like better the way a certain monster is handled in D&D or in a book/movie. Though I do joke with my husband and his friends about various skill/ability checks and saves being failed in real life or in tales we hear.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  07:05:37  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kinda thought to ask it, but did not wanted to clutter the space of forum if there was such post.
Where I can find COMPLETE dictionary of elven language (or any dialects) to use in FR?
Sorry for not putting the stupid question.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 13 May 2010 07:07:07
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
749 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  08:25:43  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Where I can find COMPLETE dictionary of elven language (or any dialects) to use in FR?

Your best bet is Dagnirion/Lord Karsus' Elven Dictionary. There's a version of it right here at the keep. A Google search "Elven Dictionary site:candlekeep.com" will find it for you (I purposely didn't link you directly, something about giving someone a Google-rod and so on...).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2010 :  11:24:37  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thnx, man, for telling me and for giving link in the signature. Funny one.

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  05:51:18  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You, know, I do the same thing with movies/TV as far as trying to come up with a class/alignment for characters I see. Was watching Ster Trek: Generations movie today, and could not help thinking of Soren as NE. Then my hubby and I got into a debate after a poll question came on during the movie- who was more "vile" villain- him, or Khan? I said Soren, for wanting to blow up a planet of 250 million people just to get back into the "ribbon" reality. He said Khan, who really just tortured and killed a few people to get back at Kirk. And the debate goes on.... Khan seems CE, IMO, BTW. Hubby wanted to try to turn Riddick into a D&D pc, and we've been trying to figure out what he would be. And we frequently talk about people around us failing intel checks, LOL!!!

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  06:15:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

You, know, I do the same thing with movies/TV as far as trying to come up with a class/alignment for characters I see. Was watching Ster Trek: Generations movie today, and could not help thinking of Soren as NE. Then my hubby and I got into a debate after a poll question came on during the movie- who was more "vile" villain- him, or Khan? I said Soren, for wanting to blow up a planet of 250 million people just to get back into the "ribbon" reality. He said Khan, who really just tortured and killed a few people to get back at Kirk. And the debate goes on.... Khan seems CE, IMO, BTW.
Soren was all about tragic obsession. He'd had a taste of the "perfect reality" and became obsessed with securing it for himself for all eternity. He might have been NG at one time, perhaps before the destruction of his homeworld by the Borg and the subsequent scattering of his people, but the fact that he was willing to sacrifice an entire inhabited planetary system just to obtain his objective of returning to the "Ribbon reality," eventually labels him as "Evil." But I think his fanaticism was also tinged a little with a dose of "crazy." Thus, I'd actually class him as NE [with some chaotic tendencies].

Khan, on the other hand, was all about revenge. Thus, his desire for revenge against Kirk ultimately twisted further what was already a corrupt individual. Therefore, I'd agree with CE.
quote:
Hubby wanted to try to turn Riddick into a D&D pc, and we've been trying to figure out what he would be. And we frequently talk about people around us failing intel checks, LOL!!!
You might want to read this:- http://www.stargazersworld.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/20090420.jpg [Note:- Coarse language advisory]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 14 May 2010 06:16:27
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:22:29  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: What is the color of magic missiles fired? In BG2 it is red, in Sellswords green and now it is popular blue. So which is it?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  19:55:54  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Question: What is the color of magic missiles fired? In BG2 it is red, in Sellswords green and now it is popular blue. So which is it?

All of the above color variations is correct. The color is determined by the person learning to cast the spell. Our DM always allowed us to do this in past editions just because it made each magic-user interesting. Then they came out with game mechanics such as extra spell proficiency slots then later feats to allow a mage to change the visual component of a spell.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2010 :  21:40:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bakra's talking about the "Spell Thematics" feat and others like it. For my part, I always assumed that some thematics were natural for the spellcaster (magic missile especially). Audio/Visual components of a cast spell felt to me like they came about due to how and from whom the caster learned the spell. Kinda of a minor arcane mark type of thing.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:16:24  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, color of them has the same meaning like lightsabers from Starwars?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:44:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Since you can pick the color, there's not much meaning there.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  05:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So there is no Evil magic missile that breaks magic and stuns like the red lightsabers of the sith's?

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:29:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'd be careful with that type of assumption. Just because some characters might generally tend toward lightsabers that have red blades, doesn't automatically mean they're evil. Especially if we're talking Expanded Universe material, where there have been noted instances of Jedi who've used red-bladed lightsabers.

In the context of the film-universe, however, the "bad guys" generally tend to possess red-bladed lightsabers.

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:42:26  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'd be careful with that type of assumption. Just because some characters might generally tend toward lightsabers that have red blades, doesn't automatically mean they're evil. Especially if we're talking Expanded Universe material, where there have been noted instances of Jedi who've used red-bladed lightsabers.

In the context of the film-universe, however, the "bad guys" generally tend to possess red-bladed lightsabers.

It was just mentioned in the one guide my brother got that the red crystals that siths use have a secret. When the wielder of the red saber concentrates the negative energy of Dark Force in his mind, the saber can disable the saber of the opponent, making it useless for some time. Also, the wave of emotions can stun the enemy. It was noticed pretty recently and they are trying to guess he nature of that phenomena.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  06:50:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So there is no Evil magic missile that breaks magic and stuns like the red lightsabers of the sith's?

Nope. Your magic missile may be a little ball of blue energy that flies thru the air with a gentle hum, while mine might be a black skull screaming its way to the target -- but they're both going to have the exact same damage potential, with the same effects.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  07:09:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It was just mentioned in the one guide my brother got that the red crystals that siths use have a secret. When the wielder of the red saber concentrates the negative energy of Dark Force in his mind, the saber can disable the saber of the opponent, making it useless for some time. Also, the wave of emotions can stun the enemy. It was noticed pretty recently and they are trying to guess he nature of that phenomena.
Most of the red crystals the Sith use for their lightsabers are synthetic, and not naturally occurring, because they rarely have ready access to the more traditional lightsaber crystal sources, like Ilum.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  16:18:39  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

This is a thread for "stupid questions about the Realms". I'm sure we've all had odd little questions in our minds of things we would like to know, that are not in any lore or canon. To start, I'd like to ask- Why do Elminster or the other Chosen of Mystra not have familiars? Most of them are wizards or sorcerers, and Dove is even a ranger. So why no animal companions of any kind?

I don't know if anyone mentioned this in this thread yet, but let's also ask why the hell does Drizzt not use divine magic like most Rangers? I always wondered why that was ignored. And he has no animal companion either, he uses a magical figurine in place of it. (And the only Ranger-like thing he has ever done was train a seal to get that figurine back from the bottom of a lake).

I've always thought it very odd and wondered if Salvatore ever gave an explanation for that?

Nowadays, especially, one can rule he used the alternative non-spellcasting Ranger rules (exchanging them for bonus feats as outlined in CW, as would make sense
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  16:43:15  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because he's not a 19th level Ranger, his levels are 10 Fighter/1 Barbarian/8 Ranger. That means he only has access to 2 first-level spells. He typically chooses Endure Elements and Detect Plants or Animals.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  12:54:17  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Because he's not a 19th level Ranger, his levels are 10 Fighter/1 Barbarian/8 Ranger. That means he only has access to 2 first-level spells. He typically chooses Endure Elements and Detect Plants or Animals.

Well, if I remember correctly ( this is as far from my Realms knowledge as you can get) he was over the limit to get spells in both the 1st and 2nd ed. versions, which the books were written for in the first place.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  13:38:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like his FR#5 stats better.

Drow Ranger 10.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  13:46:05  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

I like his FR#5 stats better.

Drow Ranger 10.

Which would give him two first level druid spells and one magic-user spell.
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  16:21:46  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about practical, in-world explanations?

Though exhibiting a natural aptitude for magic at a young age, Drizzt was pushed into the more mundane world of melee combat by his father and trainer Zaknafein. Zak was said to much prefer the steel of a fighter's sword to the crystal of a mage's wand. Like father, like son?

His formal training at Melee-Magthere only provided one semester of magic training, and that was primarily taught in such a way as to belittle him for not having gone that route. Um...resentment much?

And while Montolio was an accomplished ranger, he also appears to have focused on natural woodsmanship skills, rather than magical. Drizzt and Mooshie only spent about a year together, and in that time, it seems as if the ranger instructor only really covered that which he personally preferred, rather than any sort of advanced magical stuff.

It seems to me that the use of magic requires a sense of trust that the external source of one's magic--be it the Weave or a deity--will cooperate with you when you need it. Melee, though, requires knowledge primarily of one's own body and movements, as well as personally selected hardware. Now, Drizzt has had some issues with trust over the course of his life, and so, he has taken solace in his own combat skills and talents. And given the recent snafus with the Spellplague, the Weave, and various deities, it's kinda hard to blame him. All of this might've just reinforced his distrust of "the other" and his dependence on his own durn self.

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2010 :  22:01:28  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just view it as Drizzt started as a Fighter in Menzo, then RE-TRAINED as a Ranger with Moonshie. With a little bit of the 'Hunter' thrown in for good measure.

I know 'Re-training' in a late 3E/4E concept, but I like it.

I like Drizzt FR#5 stats due to the fact he wasn't an Epic Munchkin yet.

I hate the Edition Power Creep that has happened...

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  00:49:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just view it as Drizzt started as a Fighter in Menzo, then RE-TRAINED as a Ranger with Moonshie. With a little bit of the 'Hunter' thrown in for good measure.

Actually, you don't even need an edition change for that. Just about every single time he's been statted out, his stats have fluctuated.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  03:01:21  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Actually, you don't even need an edition change for that. Just about every single time he's been statted out, his stats have fluctuated.

True, I guess it's the power creep I dislike.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  07:20:56  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Got a question: what chants are used for the spells and on which language?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  11:18:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

It varies from author to author... But I've not seen too many actual chants in FR novels.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  11:35:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It varies from author to author... But I've not seen too many actual chants in FR novels.

Indeed. Ed, Paul Kemp, and Rich Baker seem to be the most prominent when it comes to the language of arcane chants in their works. Steven Schend's books offer some intriguing examples also.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000