Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Pazuzu
Seeker

Germany
61 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  20:41:39  Show Profile Send Pazuzu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Next one, because I just try to prepare "Shadowdale - The Scouring of the Land": Where is Castle Krag?! I think I'm blind...

May your dice obey your will. - Gary Gygax (*1938 - †2008)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2010 :  20:43:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

It would save Entreri a lot of walking, and RAS could have all his toys (except for Cleric Quintet) in one toybox. It would also finally make that area a little more interesting (all that unexplained crap above Narfell would finally have some meaning).

Not a rant - just saddened by an opportunity missed.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 May 2010 20:46:01
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  01:39:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

Next one, because I just try to prepare "Shadowdale - The Scouring of the Land": Where is Castle Krag?! I think I'm blind...

From the 2e Shadowdale sourcebook [pg. 10]:-
quote:
Perched on a low rise beneath Watcher's Knoll, Castle Krag ...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  02:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I postulated a long time ago how I thought the Night Below box was written with FR in mind - aside from the fact that it is recommended for it right on the 1st page. There is a 'High Moor' nearby, and is the perfect location for a Rockseer back-story (Green-Elven Miyeritar survivors who followed their dark brothers undergriound). Also, the only setting wherein the term 'night Below' is ever used (in a novel, IIRC) is FR.

Lord Karsus ran with that in his Elven Netbook project.

Interesting---I might have to give that project a look to see what someone else has done with it. Personally, I really liked the backstory on the sub-race that was in NB: descendants of elves who shrank from battle and ran underground to hide, when Araushnee and Corellon went at it back around -30,000 DR. Though of course they could have simply made up that history for themselves for some masochistic reason.... I just thought there was so much neat potential for the kind of vindication/redemption stories I like , especially with the irony of how staunchly fight-to-the-death these descendants of cowards became. They just had such a great sense of tragic, stuck-in-the-past self-flagellation contrasted with what they really are "nowadays"....lol.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  02:39:13  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<snip>Next stupid question for me - while Wizbro was so busy 'correcting' FR for 4e, why didn't they finally correct the biggest mistake of all - and put Ten-towns BACK into the Demon lands/Bloodstone lands (North east) where it belonged?

Hell, if terrain could shift between dimensions, why can't it shift a thousand miles or so on the same planet?

It would save Entreri a lot of walking, and RAS could have all his toys (except for Cleric Quintet) in one toybox. It would also finally make that area a little more interesting (all that unexplained crap above Narfell would finally have some meaning).

Not a rant - just saddened by an opportunity missed.

I agree... and if not for the fact that I would have to change my maps (with what cartographic talent?), I would probably do just that.

But then, I suppose that's why you put quotes around 'correcting'...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  02:44:14  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh... speaking of changing maps, MT... here's a stupid question of my own...

Do you have your homebrew Realms mapped out? I know you moved Thay and put the City of Greyhawk in the SoFS (among other changes, I'm sure), but I wasn't sure from that how much you had changed the physical geography...

So... do you have tweaked maps to share, and are you willing to do so? If not (on either count), I understand... and perhaps a "no" to the first question might inspire you to get back into the mapping arena...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  04:21:53  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, you guys have me intrigued. Where is it said that Ten-Towns was supposed to be in the Bloodstone lands? And what was Night Below? Is that a module I missed?

The ity of Greyhawk in FR? That could be interesting...

The Goddess is alive, and magic is afoot.

"Where Science ends, Magic begins" -Spiral, Uncanny X-Men #491

"You idiots! You've captured their STUNT doubles!" -Spaceballs

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mickeys_Comic_Tavern/index.php?showforum=188

Lothir, courtesy of Sylinde (Deviant Art)/Luaxena (Chosen of Eilistraee)
http://sylinde.deviantart.com/#/d2z6e4u
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  04:40:05  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Night Below

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2010 :  23:43:18  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Pazuzu

OK, my stupid questions:

What is the Thunderblessing?
Why to change Lathander to Amarauth?

The Thunder Blessing was described in the 3E FRCS. Basicly, it was Moradin's blessing upon the dwarves, causing their birthrate to dramaticly increase.

The idea is that Lathander and Amaunator are different aspect of a tripartite sun deity, one that slowly shifts over time from one deity to the next. So Lathander -- dawn -- gave way to Amaunator, noon.

It's not a concept I like.

Nor I, Wooly... but I've commented on my breaking of the cycle in another scroll... hopefully I'll remember to come back here and put in a link once I find it...

Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  03:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, forget about my previous question.

What people have something that looks like a modern wedding dress?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  03:49:05  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

I'm sure it depends on how "modern" a style you mean (and of course what part of the world). There are some modern Western wedding dresses that bear strong resemblance to medieval or Rennaissance European dresses. I'd imagine Cormyr might have something like this, unless it's been stated otherwise elsewhere. Probably almost anywhere in the Realms where you might want to place such dresses would work, unless they have different symbolism of color, veils, etc.

Oh yeah, back to the original question for this thread and some discussion that followed....FAMILIARS. Are they actually supposed to die in the natural course of life/time? I always assumed they live as long as their master unless killed.

"Your 'reality,' sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." (Baron Munchausen)
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was not made for this world." (C.S. Lewis, "Surprised by Joy")
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  03:52:04  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know about outsiders, but animals...

It is depressing. Next question: If elf will be dyed in black color, can he mask as the drow for the time being?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.

Edited by - Sill Alias on 08 May 2010 03:55:28
Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  04:08:34  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would assume that some elves have tried this. In fact, surface elven followers of Eilistraee often do dye their skin black when on a Hunt. Of course, it might also work the other way around, if a drow wanted to infiltrate an elven community. But it would be harder to find a dye heavy enough to lighten their skin and still look natural.

Lothir's character background/stats: http://forum.candlekeep.com/pop_profile.asp?mode=display&id=5469

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  04:24:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Modern people.

Seriously, I would imagine that only the wealthier folks would buy the big fancy wear-it-just-one-time dress. Common folk would prolly use either the newest clothes they have, or maybe outfits saved for particular holy days and festivals.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  04:26:07  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have duergars tried to trick the drow with their illusions and psionics?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  04:26:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Laerrigan

quote:

I'm sure it depends on how "modern" a style you mean (and of course what part of the world). There are some modern Western wedding dresses that bear strong resemblance to medieval or Rennaissance European dresses. I'd imagine Cormyr might have something like this, unless it's been stated otherwise elsewhere. Probably almost anywhere in the Realms where you might want to place such dresses would work, unless they have different symbolism of color, veils, etc.

Oh yeah, back to the original question for this thread and some discussion that followed....FAMILIARS. Are they actually supposed to die in the natural course of life/time? I always assumed they live as long as their master unless killed.

I would assume they live as long as their master. Many critters that can become familiars live for a few years, at best -- which would seriously inconvenience wizards, if they had to summon a new one every few years.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  05:37:34  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Seriously, I would imagine that only the wealthier folks would buy the big fancy wear-it-just-one-time dress. Common folk would prolly use either the newest clothes they have, or maybe outfits saved for particular holy days and festivals.

Yeah, I was actually thinking of nobility or at least wealthy merchant class, myself---I didn't really consider those lowly commoner types. 'Cause only the rich and beautiful are worth reading or RPing, ya know. And, of course, a one-time dress like that can always be re-tailored into just a fine gown for wearing to upperclass functions and such, if they don't want to keep it and hand it down. Recycling...

Edited by - Laerrigan on 08 May 2010 05:40:49
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  05:51:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think it would depend on the faith of either the participants or the clergy involved in officiating the wedding ceremony.

For example Ed, in the past, has told us that the two individuals being wed in a Sharessin ceremony "are clad only in open mesh cloaks (scraps of fishing nets are often used) ... "

Go to Top of Page

Alystra Illianniis
Great Reader

USA
3750 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  05:58:59  Show Profile Send Alystra Illianniis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Eyes popping* Wow. So, it's kind of like a Betazoid wedding on ST: TNG?! *Titters wickedly* Sign me up!

My stories:

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  06:04:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

*Eyes popping* Wow. So, it's kind of like a Betazoid wedding on ST: TNG?! *Titters wickedly* Sign me up!

I like the fact that Ed also later adds something like "regardless of whether/climate -- the wedding itself must be performed outdoors."

Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  06:13:54  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that's dedication. "JUST GET TO THE 'I DO'!!!"

Come on, Alystra, you know it's not only the rich and beautiful who get married....

Edited by - Laerrigan on 08 May 2010 06:15:33
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2010 :  07:16:37  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elves would have, if they believed in marriage bonds.

Go to Top of Page

xaviera
Learned Scribe

Canada
149 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  23:32:21  Show Profile  Visit xaviera's Homepage Send xaviera a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

For example Ed, in the past, has told us that the two individuals being wed in a Sharessin ceremony "are clad only in open mesh cloaks (scraps of fishing nets are often used) ... "
quote:

I like the fact that Ed also later adds something like "regardless of whether/climate -- the wedding itself must be performed outdoors."
So is the consummation, and rather hurriedly, at that. Which probably goes a long way toward explaining those mesh cloaks...

Writings on Sharess: Thoughts & Prayers by Xaviera ~ High Priestess of Sharess

Edited by - xaviera on 09 May 2010 23:33:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  01:28:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xaviera

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

So is the consummation, and rather hurriedly, at that. Which probably goes a long way toward explaining those mesh cloaks...
Indeed. As Ed has noted previously:-
quote:
... and (through love and rising passion, aided by Sharessan spells) rush together, to consummate the wedding on the spot. Yes, that means the happy couple physically engage in lovemaking, side by side with their two messenger-cats, and all of the attending Sharessan clergy (plus any guests).

Go to Top of Page

Dinnin
Seeker

Australia
53 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  05:17:16  Show Profile Send Dinnin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alystra Illianniis

I would assume that some elves have tried this. In fact, surface elven followers of Eilistraee often do dye their skin black when on a Hunt. Of course, it might also work the other way around, if a drow wanted to infiltrate an elven community. But it would be harder to find a dye heavy enough to lighten their skin and still look natural.

There is actually a race of drow i read about that have fair skin. somone correct me if im wrong.

"Use yer heads! A barnyard goose tastes better 'an a wild one cause it don't use its muscles. The same oughta hold true for a giant's brains!"
Bruenor Battlehammer
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  06:04:48  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Do you mean albino drow? They have a skin of moon elf color, but their eyes are red and hair are white or silver. Drow of the Underdark 3ed. Or was it 3.5?

Edited by - Sill Alias on 10 May 2010 07:07:27
Go to Top of Page

Laerrigan
Learned Scribe

USA
195 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  02:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Laerrigan's Homepage Send Laerrigan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay RE: Rockseer elves in Night Below

Not sure why they went with 'taller' for a subterranean sub-species - doesn't make much sense - I would use them but shrink them down quite a bit (at least Drow size, if not smaller).

I suddenly had a thought about that point---maybe cave creatures in real life were the inspiration for the extremely tall/thin appearance? I'm imagining the kind of white, spidery things that crawl on cave walls and floor and in cave waters. Long-limbed, and I seem to recall some kinds of cave bugs that get quite big....Long limbs and antennae to reach as far out as possible for sensing without eyes. Of course, rockseers wouldn't need that kind of sensing, but maybe the long, graceful, but slightly creepy aesthetics carried over in the mind of someone involved in writing/designing....Considering their abilities for moving through rock, I don't think they'd be quite as inconvenienced by height in small passages as other creatures might be.

Edited by - Laerrigan on 11 May 2010 02:39:13
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  06:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stupid question: have you ever looked at the folklore from the position of FR?

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  08:44:18  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Stupid question: have you ever looked at the folklore from the position of FR?

I'm not quite sure i understand your meaning. Could you reformulate your question please?
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  09:30:44  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you ever looked at the fairytale and said "Stupid heroes... They failed their wisdom check." or thought what kind of dragon that was, metallic or chromatic.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000