Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Stupid question time...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 27

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2010 :  12:00:57  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sill Alias

Got a question: what chants are used for the spells and on which language?

I usually work on the basis that the verbal component of magic are a bit like the notation in a wizards spellbook; that is, they're a personal language of words of power that are meaningless and indecipherable outside of spellcasting. That would be arcane magic, divine magic words would be inspirational words, quotes from holy texts, etc, to aide the channelling of divine power and could be in any language, I suppose. I sometimes have particularly powerful divine casters/spells use Words of Creation given to them by the gods, and what not.

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  10:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooh, ooh!
I got a question : can you grow old by overcasting haste on yourself in 2 ed.?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  13:27:28  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ooh, ooh!
I got a question : can you grow old by overcasting haste on yourself in 2 ed.?

Any creature would age one year. So if the spell was modified to target the caster then they would age one year. Over use of the spell would generate all of the drawbacks for growing old. A 17 year old human caster could age their body to a 70 year old. And this caster would have all of the physical impediments of a 70 year old human.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  13:50:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh... Reminds me of the old days of playing Might & Magic on the ol' IBM. To heal up, you just needed to rest (I think it was like 6 HP/day). At the higher levels (1,000,000+ HP), resting to full health could take almost a decade. Fun times when we looked at our character ages one time and saw that everyone was over 70.

Then began the quest for the Fountain of Youth. Which was in the game just for that reason.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2010 :  14:11:21  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Ahhh... Reminds me of the old days of playing Might & Magic on the ol' IBM. To heal up, you just needed to rest (I think it was like 6 HP/day). At the higher levels (1,000,000+ HP), resting to full health could take almost a decade. Fun times when we looked at our character ages one time and saw that everyone was over 70.

Then began the quest for the Fountain of Youth. Which was in the game just for that reason.

Hahah yeah that takes me back
Those were great games.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  05:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote

For how many years a petrified man can live?

You can hear many tales from many mouths. The most difficult is to know which of them are not lies. - Sill Alias

"May your harp be unstrung, your dreams die and all your songs be unsung." - curse of the harper, The Code of the Harpers 2 ed.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  15:03:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, when a person is petrified, their metabolic processes are at a total standstill -- they aren't really alive, as stone. So when determining how long they can live, you just ignore the time they spent as a lawn gnome.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  17:20:50  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:

Hahah yeah that takes me back
Those were great games.

I remember that too... and for that reason, I always felt that Bard's Tale II was a superior game to any of the early Might & Magic games (I never played M&M VI or later), despite the improved graphics starting with III... that being said, the less said about Bard's Tale III, the better. That game was a shining example of how *not* to implement the mechanics of time travel.

On the subject of time travel, and returning to scroll topic, does anyone have a list of canon sources other than Chronomancer (which isn't a Realms product) and the Arcane Age sources (which go without saying) that deal with time travel in the Realms? I'm looking for sourcebooks, not novels. Thanks!

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  18:32:15  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well, when a person is petrified, their metabolic processes are at a total standstill -- they aren't really alive, as stone. So when determining how long they can live, you just ignore the time they spent as a lawn gnome.

What will happen to the statue if you cast stone to flesh on it?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  19:18:14  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the statue was a person that was actually petrified, they will be restored to their normal form (without having aged).

If it's just a statue, then your comrades will laugh at you.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  19:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If petrified man will lose hand in petrified state and will be a subject of the spell, what will happen?

Go to Top of Page

Cleric Generic
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
565 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2010 :  21:46:34  Show Profile  Visit Cleric Generic's Homepage Send Cleric Generic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd imagine the spell effects whatever bit of the statue you cast it on (the severed hand or the rest of him/her, that is).

Cedric! The Cleric Generic and Master of Disguise!

ALL HAIL LORD KARSUS!!!

Vast Realmslore Archive: Get in here and download everything! http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archfr/rl

2e Realms book PDFs; grab em! - http://poleandrope.blogspot.com/2010/07/working-around-purge.html
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2010 :  14:32:18  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You killed colossal creature with Disintegrate Ray. How many dust will you get?

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  14:09:48  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You killed colossal creature with Disintegrate Ray. How many dust will you get?

The amount of dust would depend on the weight of the creature. Can you imagine the size of the dust cloud or for that matter the size of the dust bunnies?!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  14:19:29  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yikes! I guess it is better to think about consequences before killing a giant. It maybe even more dangerous than the creature itself!

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  15:21:06  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a silly question. How do you pronounce gorget?
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  15:27:10  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I heard it pronounced, "gore-get" and "gore-chit"
I, on the other hand, pronounce it "Boolperdinkle."

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  15:27:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I usually say "gor-jit" with heavy emphasis on the "o" and accent on the "jit" portion of the term.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 24 May 2010 :  15:30:26  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I usually say "gor-jit" with heavy emphasis on the "o" and accent on the "jit" portion of the term.

This is interesting : http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/gorget

The speaker icon pronounces the word for you.

So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  02:57:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

quote:

Well, I've been saying it wrong. I'd assumed it was a French word, and that the "et" was pronounced "ay".

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  03:05:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I adored Heroes of Might & Magic III, which is when I was introduced to that series. The fourth one I didn't care for, personally.

My question is, how many tarrusques are there on Faerun, and do you still get the items out of their hides in 3E like you did in 2E? Also, do the tarrasques have a breeding ground, or are they sterile?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  03:10:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Bakra

quote:

quote:

Well, I've been saying it wrong. I'd assumed it was a French word, and that the "et" was pronounced "ay".

I was simply going by Ed's suggested pronunciation [I think it was Ed] when a previous discussion about Manshoon's 3e mask come up here.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  03:15:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:

I adored Heroes of Might & Magic III, which is when I was introduced to that series. The fourth one I didn't care for, personally.

My question is, how many tarrusques are there on Faerun, and do you still get the items out of their hides in 3E like you did in 2E? Also, do the tarrasques have a breeding ground, or are they sterile?

I only recall references to a single Tarrasque in the Realms. [Though, it has been a while since I've checked] Regarding your other questions, I'd recommend you hunt down a copy of Ed's "Ecology of the Tarrasque" in the, sadly, last issue of the printed DRAGON -- #359.

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  03:36:15  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A single Tarrasque per world is my general understanding as well, Sage. However, I also recall vague references (I think in a Spelljammer product) to a world populated entirely by Tarrasques... exactly how that ecosystem works is probably a question best left unexamined.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 25 May 2010 03:36:39
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  06:52:52  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can half-dragon become true dragon?

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  06:59:22  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thankee Bakra, Sage and wooly for your input. That link will come in handy if it's trustworthy
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  07:29:29  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

A single Tarrasque per world is my general understanding as well, Sage. However, I also recall vague references (I think in a Spelljammer product) to a world populated entirely by Tarrasques... exactly how that ecosystem works is probably a question best left unexamined.

That would be Falx from SJR4-Practical Planetology. They're not tarraques, mind you, they are several hundred in number, and merely "indistinguishable from the tarrasque." And I suppose they feed on the "profusion of small lizard-like creatures" that live on the surface... Man, that's a lot of lizards-like creatures.
Go to Top of Page

Sill Alias
Senior Scribe

Kazakhstan
588 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  07:48:40  Show Profile  Visit Sill Alias's Homepage Send Sill Alias a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thauramarth

quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

That would be Falx from SJR4-Practical Planetology. They're not tarraques, mind you, they are several hundred in number, and merely "indistinguishable from the tarrasque." And I suppose they feed on the "profusion of small lizard-like creatures" that live on the surface... Man, that's a lot of lizards-like creatures.

If that's kobolds, it makes sense.

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
753 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  08:03:14  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

If the statue was a person that was actually petrified, they will be restored to their normal form (without having aged).

If it's just a statue, then your comrades will laugh at you.

Don't you just get the equal amount of generic, non-living flesh when it is cast on something that wasn't petrified before?

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36787 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2010 :  11:46:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Can half-dragon become true dragon?

I'd imagine there are ways to do so, but they're not easy. I'd also imagine that those methods (mostly involving magic and shapechanging) would work for any one, not just a half-dragon.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 27 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000