Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 A Farewell
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  12:07:25  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I haven't been really active with the boards, doing mainly some lurking and such. I'm neither leaving the Realms nor CK completely, but there seems little for me to say anymore.

The shift and the friction, not to mention the clear division, brought to the Realms fandom by (I'm tempted to use a very negative phrase) WotC have not endeared me to participate in the discussions of whatever sort.

Given that I hardly raised my voice here at all in recent months this should not come as a surprise. If I am not allowed to be critical, cynical or voice my irritation due to the Damocles sword hanging above any website, again enforced by WotC, I see no point trying to maintain the facade of benevolence.

If me criticizing the establishment, and its extensions, leads to reprimands, or flame-wars, or the threat that these halls could be shut down... well, I like freedom of speech, and the restraints forced upon fansites are a very definitive statement that WotC does not...

To quote Whitesnake:

I'm sad to say its time to go
Until we meet again along the road
Remember this on your journey home,
When you hear the thunder roar youre not alone

We wish you well, we wish you well,
In times of trouble may your hearts be strong
We wish you well, we wish you well,
Until we meet again,
We wish you well...

I wish you well.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  12:53:14  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hell no Mace. No one who quotes Whitesnake (moustache version at least)at any time should leave the boards. That will leave me the only sane person left here and no one wants that.

But more seriously; as the people I am used to are more and more leaving the 'Keep, I am starting to contemplate the same to myself.

Take care and ...(insert some Coverdale quotes that would get me in trouble with the moderators)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  13:01:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mace, you'll be sorely missed. But know that so long as there is a Candlekeep, you will always be welcome within these Halls.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  13:08:14  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bar the gates! dont let him leave!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  13:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Catch Mace by the beard! Hold him down. A good headbanguer dwarf could not leave these halls (I will be feeling very alone, with this)

Well, Mace, I expect to see you here, yeat. There are many other Realms stuff to be discussed without anyone enter in 4E soil.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  15:22:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not touching 4E, and yet there's still plenty to talk about... Please reconsider!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  15:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm not touching 4E, and yet there's still plenty to talk about... Please reconsider!

I've considered for a long time, but if you look at my post activity over the past year, you'll see I barely posted at all.

The problem has been/is/will be the fracturing of the fanbase. I don't give a frak about what morons of the coast cook up, and if people complain about how much info one needed to play in the old Realms I'd love to tell them to play with the Barbies, and even though I dislike the 4e rules, the problem remains that I'd have to censor my language whenever someone came along to talk about the new pparagon path or some stuff...

CK, in my opinion, was a great place to chat about the Realms, but if push comes to shove, I am fairly certain that in the not-so-far future morons of the coast will demand that fansites only support the most current version of the game/-world. And then the division is final.

I know you guys try to walk the razor's edge, but I fear this edge will soon begin to really shake. So far most of what I've so cynically said has become even worse, and if it wasn't for a truckload of NDAs I'm certain the authors & designers would agree. But there is the entire hand that feeds you business, which I do understand.

The division is there, and I, for my part, am mighty tired of the entire affair... the saddest thing about it is that my alternate take on the WotSQ events will, in all likelihood, never see the light of the compendium.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  16:34:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey man dont go, there is alwawys something new on the horizon, like Ed's next book Elminster Must Die

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  16:45:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

The problem has been/is/will be the fracturing of the fanbase.

This I heartily agree with. I find it most regrettable that WotC's actions have forced me to withhold my gaming dollars and to disregard everything they've done after a certain date. And I find it even more regrettable that their actions have caused such a split in the fanbase. I realize that there had been splits before, but I'd not seen anything like this one prior to this.

In a word, this entire situation sucks.

That said, there are always going to be people interested in the older lore, and I'm here to discuss that with them.

quote:

CK, in my opinion, was a great place to chat about the Realms, but if push comes to shove, I am fairly certain that in the not-so-far future morons of the coast will demand that fansites only support the most current version of the game/-world. And then the division is final.

Honestly, I don't think they can go that far. We're not supporting the rules as much as we're supporting the background material. Not only that, but we are a privately owned site. And WotC is based in the US -- so long as we don't sign up for any agreements that mandate otherwise, we are protected by the First Amendment and thus free to speak on what we want in whatever fashion we want.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  17:00:20  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See ... when I was having a look at the FRCG and some other sources on the end of "the Realms as we knew them", I was shaking my head in disbelief. This can't be, they can't do that. Then some deep silence. I had a look at all my sourcebooks, 6 feet away, lore raped to the core. And then I saw LotR standing right next to the FR stuff. Not that I ever read it, for some reason. But it reminded me that no matter what they do now ... or what Tolkien wrote about later or earlier happenings, stuff beyond his famous trilogy - what people will remember and will use is the trilogy. Everyone was told that they all died later on and what befell the realms of LotR, but no-one really cares. It is pretty much the same with the Realms. If I speak of them, think of them, it will be in the context of the Realms inbetween 1200 and 1375 D.R., for those are the "living" Realms in my mind. And yet, there is even more of these old Realms, since hardly anything has been written about the realms and kingdoms since ... say -1000 D.R. and said 1200 D.R., white space galore in history, lore and maps. I "just" started my Night Below campaign in 1200 D.R. (I need-/wanted Ibrandul, you know) and will surely play other adventures and campaigns within the Old Realms too. And I would sorely miss anyone of the "old brigade" not about with an idea, thought, or some inspiration - not to speak of knowledge of lore beyond mine.

And anyways, I need enough people to convince Ed/El to meddle with the vita of Alura Durshavin, so you are hereby forbidden to leave just yet!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 01 Sep 2009 17:02:43
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  19:20:55  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was about to post a link to the 1st Amendment before I saw that Wooly Rupert had already mentioned it. We can discuss previous edition Realms all we want, and say that we won't purchase anything from 4e Realms all we want (but the latter should be done concisely, clearly, and efficiently, for no reason but for the mod's request to do so).

Mace, I don't know you well enough as the long-time poster's here, but I can tell you enough that you leaving is EXACTLY what I believe 4e Realms was created for. You'd just be giving in to what I believe the powers that be at WotC-Hasbro want.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  19:39:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the record, I'm basically feeling the same way as Mace, which is why my post count has fallen off since Gencon 07.

Just tired of it all and I have other settings that I'm more interested in lately.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  20:28:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I haven't been really active with the boards, doing mainly some lurking and such. I'm neither leaving the Realms nor CK completely, but there seems little for me to say anymore.
Pretty much my sentiments exactly.

As the saying goes, "when you have nothing nice to say, then don't say anything at all".

That doesn't really leave a lot for me to say these days.

Even the 'hypothetical' discussions about old lore don't hold the same sparkle for me anymore - with 99% of the storylines tossed into the dumpster, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in discussing them.

Mace, Kuje, Jorkens (etc...), I think we all feel the same way. Its sort of like running into your old high school sweetheart 20 years later... current reality has a way of taking the shine off of one's fond memories. You'll always hold that special place in your heart for them, but times change, and things move on.

Its not like I'm leaving the planet or anything - like Mace, I'll still chime in from tme to time if something peaks my interest (like this thread). I just don't feel I have much of anything constructive to contribute to the community - and I was becoming a troll, which wasn't good for CK.

Edited by - Markustay on 01 Sep 2009 20:29:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  20:47:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
By talking about prior editions, we keep them alive. When we stop talking about them is when they truly die.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  20:56:43  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still check the 'Keep daily for threads that I am interested in contributing to; but like many others, I find very few that I feel I can positively contribute to anymore. And I just avoid any threads having to do with 4e (and especially the 4e Realms) because I know that if I did it would just end in conflict. Like Mace, I am just worn out by the whole thing..

@Mace - I miss your rants, but I understand that you can only rant so many times until you are just repeating yourself. Hopefully during your stops to visit we will bump into each other.

@Markus - I still look forward to your completed map(s) of the 3.x Realms, I hope you will finish them someday and be able to share them with us. Your cartography skills kick ass IMHO.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  21:14:20  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Even the 'hypothetical' discussions about old lore don't hold the same sparkle for me anymore - with 99% of the storylines tossed into the dumpster, there doesn't seem to be much of a point in discussing them.

Mace, Kuje, Jorkens (etc...), I think we all feel the same way. Its sort of like running into your old high school sweetheart 20 years later... current reality has a way of taking the shine off of one's fond memories. You'll always hold that special place in your heart for them, but times change, and things move on.

Well for me she still looks good it seems. Then again, change and going with the times were never my strong suites.

The Realms as a published world died for me the the birth of 3d. and the death of TSR, so it is not so much the changes and 4ed.that bothers me. Its more that some of the spark seems to be lacking in the 'Keep (for me)of late and there is not much I feel I can add. Much of this has to do with the old faces disappearing and some of it has to do with me being more and more dated in both knowledge and interests. In addition to other things of course.

I am quite happy with the Realms. That is, my version of the Realms, which I have no plan to stop using and developing. But that interest doesn't always translate that good into a forum discussion.

This conversation is actually starting to get depressing. Time for a 1ed. edition book and some old vinyl. Good night.

Edited by - Jorkens on 02 Sep 2009 06:10:27
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  22:16:34  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder if wotc even imagine the diversion they created....
I'b blame hasbro for this, but until I can think of a decent way to bash them without being flaming about it, I'll hold my breath.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  22:28:28  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My goodness folks, its like a Shar festival in here.

I think that everybody is forgetting one little sentence that
Ed said over twenty years ago that is even more relevant to this
day:

"Make the Realms your own."

Believe me, I feel what all of you are feeling about the published
material, but all that is not the end-all,be-all. Take what you want,
flush the rest. In the new stuff, take what you like and change it to fit where you are chronologically. Create, alter, cut, paste,
fold, spindle, mutilate, repeat, rinse, dry, fold, write up.

For instance, I have spent several hours a week over the last five
years putting together a comprehensive package of Myth DrannorDalelands due to my absolute love of the backstory, themes, and accessories over the years. I have forsaken, ignored, and am oblivious to the Lady Pentitant series other that the dark elves above ground have received redemption due to a war among the Drow pantheon. I have used the Last Mythal series, insofar as to include the overt events as setting into a timeline I ran for my last group.
I work on "dangling hooks" left in the previous editions such as statting and filling out the villians Nezras the Traitor and the Nomad of Scars for future stories.

You are not limited by the junk that is put out, but only by your imagination. I suggest to all you that are jaded to start working on
stories that interest you and when you're stumped, come in and we'll
all make suggestions and courses of action based on all our collective knowledge.

I hope this resonates with some people. This is what I do.

However, I have noticed that it is hard to
get help from others when you asking for brainstorming about
dangling hooks. C'mon kids, lets help each other out!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  23:07:01  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Amen!

I would hate to see any scribe leave the Keep because of what Wizards did or didn't do.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  23:17:04  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I haven't been around to make hypothetical discussions, but I assume you refer to discussions pertaining to "they could've done this instead of Spellplague", and ""what all happened in the 104yrs between editions" etc.

That wouldn't hold sway w/me either. Rather, all of my campaigns will continue to be around the 1360-80 timeline.

quote:

By talking about prior editions, we keep them alive. When we stop talking about them is when they truly die.

Exactly. And there is SO MUCH lore, adventure, items, versatile rule set (w/o overpowering) etc. to continue to have excellent adventures and stories that can be full of the creativity based on canon and homebrew.

quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

I am quite happy with the Realms. That is, my version of the Realms, which I have no plan to stop using and developing. But that interest doesn't always translate that good into a forum discussion.

I think we should still stay on to share eachother's homebrew, for to help eachother's home campaigns. We should do this for eachother, seeing WotC/Hasbro won't, b/c of thier Spellplague + the 100yr jump AND the decision to not allow the novel writers to write anything in the timelines of 2e and 3e, putting Ed and the writers on about a million NDA's.

No better place to do it than CK, I reckon.

quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I wonder if wotc even imagine the diversion they created....
I'b blame hasbro for this, but until I can think of a decent way to bash them without being flaming about it, I'll hold my breath.

You mean division, right? (re: diversion).

Unless they can prove they're insane, they're fully aware of the division they created. FR is the most detailed and story-driven fantasy world ever, and they presumptuously ordered instructions in 4e to rip it apart. Rip up the very things that made the core fanbase always come back for more.

----------------------------------------

I'm with you, althen artren.

But at the same time, I'm now at peace if folk want to leave, or not post as frequently. It'd juss show further evidence of how WotC/Hasbro presumptuously ripped up the things that FR fans loved.

But for those that'll choose to post on CK, perhaps we should share more of our ideas in our home campaigns w/eachother.

Edited by - bladeinAmn on 02 Sep 2009 01:05:03
Go to Top of Page

Mr_Miscellany
Senior Scribe

545 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2009 :  23:20:08  Show Profile Send Mr_Miscellany a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a post up on my WotC account blog that Mace's announcement reminded me of. I'd thought to write a link to it, but since I know some of you can't access WotC's website, I'll post it here:

The Forgotten Realms, In Pain

To say the Forgotten Realms are in pain is to make an understatement.

The Realms are in a world of hurt and it shows.

The face of the Realms has been altered. Whole landmasses that once belonged to other worlds have been added, thousands of square miles of surface land collapsed into the Underdark, chunks of terrain altered by the Spellplague into something unrecognizable and all too alien.

With great change comes disassociation. No longer are Forgotten Realms sourcebooks, adventures, novels and other media entirely representative of this new Realms. Nor can one reasonably expect to port their Third Edition D&D games into this new Realms; for reasons of game mechanics and the passing of game time, they must be left behind.

In its post-Spellplague shape the Forgotten Realms are for the third time in as many edition changes something new, though perhaps now 'new' is more absolute in its meaning than ever before.

The Goddess of Magic herself, the central, pivotal figure of the Realms, for which so much has been written of and whose servants have effected so much change and effort on her behalf, is gone.

And with her the Weave.

More than just the tapestry for magic, the Weave was something unique that represented the Forgotten Realms and made it stand apart from any other campaign setting.

This too was cast away.

And oh what an ugly change! One could just as easily rip away the skin from a human being and achieve the same effect!

Now imagine just such a person, soiled and abused, whose health is not a function of their physical state, but instead is measured in the number of people this person can call loyal friends.

Watch as this person, damaged, bleeding and broken, begins to wither, to stumble and to fall to the ground. Not for the physical damage wrought, but for the simple reason that so many once loyal friends this person could reach out to for nourishment have turned their backs and walked away.

The Realms is in agony not for the terrible changes inflicted upon it, but for the simple fact that its one great source of strength is dwindling away.

:::::::::::

I don't accept that it's Wizards of the Coast's fault for how we choose to react to what they've done to the Realms.

But I do accept that everyone has a right to turn away from the setting when they feel it's time.

Mace, your not so gentle rants are something I've never fully agreed with, but I've certainly enjoyed reading both them and your journal.

Best of luck to you and don't stop writing.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  00:12:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr M's blog, MT and Mace's farewells, it's all adding up to the same thing that I've been feeling lately too.

I love the Realms. Ever since I read my first bit of Ed lore, the time I was introduced to Arilyn and Danilo and the Harpers... And I've gotten to that point as well where discussing old lore is great, but I simply no longer wish to even discuss anything 4th Edition since I know it won't be a part of my Realms.

So, guys, hopefully you'll pop in every once in a while to say hi and everything! May your travels be full of joy!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  00:15:32  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

For the record, I'm basically feeling the same way as Mace, which is why my post count has fallen off since Gencon 07.

Just tired of it all and I have other settings that I'm more interested in lately.

Yeah, me too; I'm deeply invested in Paizo's products now, and really, really loving all the Golarion and PF RPG stuff. I lurk around here every now and then, but post only rarely these days, because I spend most of my time online on the Paizo boards.

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dark Wizard
Senior Scribe

USA
830 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  02:54:17  Show Profile Send Dark Wizard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree. This says states it best.

If we don't like the New Realms, then to hell with them. We still have the original published Realms, and Ed is always here to discuss them (and perhaps work in some tidbits on his original Realms). Certainly things have changed slightly since the transition, but there is no mandate that there must be only one version of the Realms. Even if WotC someday hands out cease and desist letters to the fan community, the various communities would have continued up until the last moment. Heck, I'm sure that wouldn't be the end of it even at that. So simply carry on.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  07:00:40  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

<snip>

I think that everybody is forgetting one little sentence that
Ed said over twenty years ago that is even more relevant to this
day:

"Make the Realms your own."

Believe me, I feel what all of you are feeling about the published
material, but all that is not the end-all,be-all. Take what you want,
flush the rest. In the new stuff, take what you like and change it to fit where you are chronologically. Create, alter, cut, paste,
fold, spindle, mutilate, repeat, rinse, dry, fold, write up.

<chop>

You are not limited by the junk that is put out, but only by your imagination. I suggest to all you that are jaded to start working on
stories that interest you and when you're stumped, come in and we'll
all make suggestions and courses of action based on all our collective knowledge.

I hope this resonates with some people. This is what I do.

However, I have noticed that it is hard to
get help from others when you asking for brainstorming about
dangling hooks. C'mon kids, lets help each other out!

AMEN! This is exactly why the Realms need CK now more than ever. Mace, we'll miss your rants, but I think you and I are probably both ranted out at this point anyway. I'd say that I'd pick up the slack in your absence, but I've ranted about everything worth ranting about, and maybe so have you. On the bright side, this has given me more creative energy to do just what Althen has said in the above quote.

I can't allow Whitesnake to be the only band whose lyrics are quoted on this scroll, so, me being Canadian and all, here's Trooper:

We're here for a good time,
Not a long time,
So have a good time,
The sun can't shine every day.

Damn, that's depressing in this context...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 02 Sep 2009 07:06:53
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  07:11:16  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

<chop> the saddest thing about it is that my alternate take on the WotSQ events will, in all likelihood, never see the light of the compendium.

You have this alternate timeline posted somewhere here, I hope? You're not allowed to leave without doing so otherwise...

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  08:24:11  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
May your beard grow long and your ale always be strong, Mace! You will be missed.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  13:15:55  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:

<chop> the saddest thing about it is that my alternate take on the WotSQ events will, in all likelihood, never see the light of the compendium.

You have this alternate timeline posted somewhere here, I hope? You're not allowed to leave without doing so otherwise...

I'll post it on my LJ, once I have Ed's ok to do so.

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  13:27:09  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just out of interest, you are present over at the German DnD-Gate though, are you not?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  13:36:10  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Just out of interest, you are present over at the German DnD-Gate though, are you not?

No, a friend 'o mine is there, I might drop in there some time.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2009 :  15:48:59  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

[quote]Originally posted by althen artren

<snip>

I can't allow Whitesnake to be the only band whose lyrics are quoted on this scroll, so, me being Canadian and all, here's Trooper:

We're here for a good time,
Not a long time,
So have a good time,
The sun can't shine every day.

Damn, that's depressing in this context...

Maybe Triumph or April Wine might be more encouraging?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000