Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pathfinder tweaks for FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  20:00:22  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

(Snip)
Maybe this immense success of Pathfinder is an indicator of how many people are unhappy with the change.

I am not sure if this is indicative so much of people being un-happy with the change so much as they are MORE happy about the "3.5 update" that Pathfinder represents. I read a lot of posts about how people are ok with the 4e, but I think given a choice people will prefer the update.

Present company excluded of course Mace...us and our cave and all.

BUT...(he said ..cringing waiting for the Mace to fall on his head)

I have read some 4e setting novels lately and have been very impressed...and pleased. So it may not be all sunshine and rainbows...but neither is it all doom and gloom.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  20:37:29  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think it is because Paizo has given people a CHOICE in which system to use and play.

[off-topic]I have read abunch of 4E Realms Novels, and I really liked them. Ed's Waterdeep Series is Top-Notch. Rich Baker's Blades of the Moonsea is outstanding.[/off-topic]

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  20:39:23  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
(bumps head) Ouch

It ain't so much a cave, as that I'm very happy with the 3.5 version of the game... well, ok, that is a sort of cave, but we got pretty good lighting here, and good air... I won't switch to PF, mainly because it already is a bitch converting the pre 3e modules to 3.5, and updating chars etc. I will, however, most likely use the much more elegant grapple etc. system offered in PF.

Hell, I already switched to the UA XP tables to make progression slower, and should I ever run a new Realms campaign I am of a mind to re-introduce the old multiclassing (or "gestalt") to the game, double xp-cost, no prestige-classes for multi-classed dudes, I just have to do some math and see how much they'll lag behind.

So, my games are usually not "by the book", as it should be.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  20:51:36  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As long as you and yours are having fun.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  21:28:16  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

And in the end...THATS what it is all about.

We can all play in the Realms...different times of the realms maybe...but still Mr. Greenwoods world remains the BEST (imho) playground to play in.

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  08:10:33  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

And in the end...THATS what it is all about.

We can all play in the Realms...different times of the realms maybe...but still Mr. Greenwoods world remains the BEST (imho) playground to play in.

Here Here!

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  08:14:00  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(bumps head) Ouch

It ain't so much a cave, as that I'm very happy with the 3.5 version of the game... well, ok, that is a sort of cave, but we got pretty good lighting here, and good air... I won't switch to PF, mainly because it already is a bitch converting the pre 3e modules to 3.5, and updating chars etc. I will, however, most likely use the much more elegant grapple etc. system offered in PF.

Hell, I already switched to the UA XP tables to make progression slower, and should I ever run a new Realms campaign I am of a mind to re-introduce the old multiclassing (or "gestalt") to the game, double xp-cost, no prestige-classes for multi-classed dudes, I just have to do some math and see how much they'll lag behind.

I assume you have down loaded the free beta PDF.

I really like the the new multi-classing rules and skill system. If the system as a whole doesn't float your boat you can always get the PDF for $9.99 and pick and choose what you please.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Randal_Dundragon
Seeker

USA
95 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  16:09:39  Show Profile Send Randal_Dundragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which is what you might have to do since Paizo sold out of all their physical copies :).

Its simple really, Your an idiot and I'm simply a figment of your imagination
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  16:34:07  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

Which is what you might have to do since Paizo sold out of all their physical copies :).

Please note, they will have a LOT of books at GenCon and retail outlets should be 'well-supplied'*, so you should still be able to get the book, but they might go fast at those stores.

*Well-supplied means that Paizo has shipped all the requested orders from the store. Don't fault Paizo if the Comic Book Guy only asked for two copies on his last order.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  16:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:
Originally posted by Randal_Dundragon

Please note, they will have a LOT of books at GenCon and retail outlets should be 'well-supplied'*, so you should still be able to get the book, but they might go fast at those stores.

*Well-supplied means that Paizo has shipped all the requested orders from the store. Don't fault Paizo if the Comic Book Guy only asked for two copies on his last order.

Hhhmmmmm...I am feeling a "Sick Day" coming on. May have to camp out at the store to make sure I get a copy .

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2009 :  20:28:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bitter thorn

quote:

(bumps head) Ouch

I assume you have down loaded the free beta PDF.

I really like the the new multi-classing rules and skill system. If the system as a whole doesn't float your boat you can always get the PDF for $9.99 and pick and choose what you please.

Actually, I bought a hardcopy of the beta rules

The reason why I won't do a through and through change is basically because my group only games once a month and we only made the change from 2e to 3.5 three years ago, and some people are still coping with that... plus I'm way too lazy

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2009 :  03:15:14  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(bumps head) Ouch

Minor threadjack, although directly related to PF:
Why not use the "Fast, Medium, and Slow" XP tables for the "gestalt" characters? Theoretically, at least, a slow XP (3 class) character would reach 3rd level in all classes when all other characters are 4th level. Not terribly different, however, I'd say that each gestalt has a differnent XP penalty built in as well.
So, here you go, I hope this inspires:
Single Class character/normal multiclassing: Fast XP table (or UA one, either way...)
Two-class gestalt character/No Prestige classes: Medium XP table and only gains 75% of all earned xp.
Three-class Gestalt character/No Prestige options: Slow XP table and only gains 50% of all earned XP.
That should slow them enough to make a single classed character really useful, as well as let the gestalt do everything that they want.
/threadjack

Now, as to the Realms and Pathfinder: I think that pathfinder is a great way to do things, and I'll be converting all of my future Realms Campaigns to PF. Heck, most of the gamers I run with either play Spycraft or Pathfinder as it is, so I convert lots of stuff anyways

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2009 :  01:42:00  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Per the interview with Jason Bulmahn at 3.5 Sanctuary, a conversion guide will be released as a free pdf on Paizo.com the day the book releases (Aug 13th). It will include rules on how to convert magic items, monsters and prestige classes (among others).

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

What Mark said. I like games that provide conversion information. I don't like games that tell me "everything's changing so much, you're better off rebuilding everything from scratch, so we're not even going to attempt a conversion guide." That strikes me (violently across the face) as a good way to lose your existing customer base.

I remember when WotC made that statement, and that was what got me turned away from 4E real fast. But they were right. They really couldn't do a conversion of 3.5 to 4e booklet. The two systems are so completely different, it's impossible to translate everything a character had access to in 3E to 4E without the character having to sacrifice over half of what they were able to accomplish.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2009 :  01:59:14  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That is incredibly impressive!

I can't help but wonder what WotC execs think of this, considering that 4E still has that new car smell.

you think it smells like a new car?

anyway, it is impressive. I have my order in and can't wait myself. I am a Pathfinder boy now

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000