Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pathfinder tweaks for FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  06:15:50  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Heh... All I can say is you'd like the Paladin class. Check out the Beta version PDF for free HERE to see what they've been doing.

Thanks Ashe!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  06:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Couldn't tell you. But you can still download the Beta rules, and see for yourself.

Oh Gods. I should have thought of that myself. Thank you, Wooly. I think I've had a long day...

To get a taste of the final rules, you could also check out the preview of the paladin.

And nice... thank you also, Ayun! I appreciate the link.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 31 Jul 2009 07:57:25
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  06:27:36  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right... after looking over the Pathfinder stuff, I am definitely switching my game over to these new rules. I thought at first that $50 for a book was a bit steep, but then noticed that it's a 576 page book.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  10:20:10  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
and it includes (as far as i can read out of the previews etc) both PHB, DMG, MM and a guide to convert pretty much everything in 3.5 which didn't get preconverted

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  11:06:23  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not the MM. In October there will be the Pathfinder Bestiary.

The Core Rule Book will also be available as PDF for $9.99.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Ghost King
Learned Scribe

USA
253 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  11:14:38  Show Profile  Visit Ghost King's Homepage Send Ghost King a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*Hears heavenly music and a light pierce a very dark cloud and shines in my eyes*

What is this bright light?! Wait I think I see something coming toward us?!

*Peers into the light*

It...is...

WE ARE SAVED!

All hail, Pathfinder! Long may its reign last!

*Laughs* All kidding aside this is very good information to have. I haven't checked Paizo in a while and forgot about it, but thanks for reminding me of doing so seeing this thread. Anyways now that I've showed my dorkness to the world I'm going to go buy that book!
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  11:39:09  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ghost King

*Hears heavenly music and a light pierce a very dark cloud and shines in my eyes*

What is this bright light?! Wait I think I see something coming toward us?!

*Peers into the light*

It...is...

WE ARE SAVED!

All hail, Pathfinder! Long may its reign last!

*Laughs* All kidding aside this is very good information to have. I haven't checked Paizo in a while and forgot about it, but thanks for reminding me of doing so seeing this thread. Anyways now that I've showed my dorkness to the world I'm going to go buy that book!

Yeah, I can't wait till August for its release!

I hope they have stuff in there for the Book of Exalted Deeds, otherwise Joran may stay normal 3.5 as far as some of his abilities are concerned. What am I saying?! He's going to get a revision too since he's a paladin!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  15:56:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, everything for Pathfinder will be 'backwards-compatible' with 3.5 products, so you should be able to still use BoED. The 576-page book is a combo PHB/DMG and Amazon has it on sale for $31.49 and the release date is set for the first day of GenCon (8/13).

The PDF is going to be $9.99 and will go up for say the same day as the release (8/13). There has also been confirmation that there will be a free Conversion PDF to help you convert 3.5 stuff into Pathfinder stuff.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2009 :  23:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, I'll have to look into all of that. I'm glad that it won't make anything 'obsolete' then. That was one of my concerns. I appreciate the heads up, Ashe!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 31 Jul 2009 23:48:41
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  04:22:35  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Heh... All I can say is you'd like the Paladin class. Check out the Beta version PDF for free HERE to see what they've been doing.

me too, that and the sorcerer are much nicer than the 3.5 versions

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  05:22:55  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd really like to try tweaking Qadira for the Realms. This is a phenomenal work.

Brian Cortijo should be proud.

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  12:48:45  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Kazandra

I'd really like to try tweaking Qadira for the Realms. This is a phenomenal work.

I gotta get that

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  22:28:54  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

me too, that and the sorcerer are much nicer than the 3.5 versions

Really? I thought that the sorcerers were pretty nice in 3.5. Is there a link to the sorcerer too? I have a couple of characters that I'm incredibly fond of that have sorcerer levels. Also, have they changed the Races section at all, or are they pretty much like the 3.5 versions of the races? Basically, if I look at the elves section, will I find new and interesting information on them, or is it pretty much what I've come to expect?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 01 Aug 2009 22:29:43
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  22:48:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Check out the Beta rules. They added Bloodlines to Sorcerers which give them specific powers and select extra spells.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2009 :  23:05:40  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Check out the Beta rules. They added Bloodlines to Sorcerers which give them specific powers and select extra spells.

All right, thanks again, Ashe.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  11:23:40  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really? I thought that the sorcerers were pretty nice in 3.5. Is there a link to the sorcerer too?

Of course! Click me for a preview of the final socerer rules.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2009 :  12:53:48  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

and it includes (as far as i can read out of the previews etc) both PHB, DMG, MM and a guide to convert pretty much everything in 3.5 which didn't get preconverted

There is also a GameMastery Guide coming early next year

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  00:30:39  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

quote:

Really? I thought that the sorcerers were pretty nice in 3.5. Is there a link to the sorcerer too?

Of course! Click me for a preview of the final socerer rules.

Thank you!! Ah yes... I can hardly wait to sit down and start revisions on my characters. It's been far too long since last I sketched out ideas on builds and discussed their capabilities. Reminds me of long nights sitting around my desk with books strewn from here to Baldur's Gate and back with lists of potential feats and abilities.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  00:32:28  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I better ask while I'm thinking of it. Ashe, will you be updating your character in the Candlekeep Inn to Pathfinder, or leaving him as he is with traditional 3.5 rules?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  07:18:26  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh... that would be telling.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2009 :  07:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahhh... that would be telling.

Ah! A man with secret plans for his character, perhaps! I'll have to keep an eye out!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  06:05:47  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
AAAAND...

Pathfinder has sold out of it's first print run.

Yep, if you didn't pre-order a copy, then be sure to RUSH to the GenCon table, your FLGS or Barnes & Noble to make sure you get a copy. The second print run won't be available until November (although that, plus the Bestiary might make good stocking stuffers!)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  06:54:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is incredibly impressive!

I can't help but wonder what WotC execs think of this, considering that 4E still has that new car smell.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  07:12:27  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't help but wonder what WotC execs think of this, considering that 4E still has that new car smell.

I'd like to ask a serious question, if I may. Is 4E even popular or selling well? I know that 3E and 3.5 did great, but what about 4E?

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  07:35:08  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

AAAAND...

Pathfinder has sold out of it's first print run.

Yep, if you didn't pre-order a copy, then be sure to RUSH to the GenCon table, your FLGS or Barnes & Noble to make sure you get a copy. The second print run won't be available until November (although that, plus the Bestiary might make good stocking stuffers!)

Thats awesome.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  14:01:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

I'd like to ask a serious question, if I may. Is 4E even popular or selling well? I know that 3E and 3.5 did great, but what about 4E?

By all accounts, it is selling well. However, (and this goes for Pathfinder too...) since the actual sales numbers are not released, there's no way to judge what they distinguish as selling well.

For example (and by example, I mean I have no idea of the true numbers). If Pathfinder ordered 100,000 books for their first print run and sold out, they are ecstatic. If Wotc (and, in turn Hasbro) sold 1,000,000 copies of 4th Edition, they would be pleased to turn a profit.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  14:42:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

quote:

Either way, it can't be reassuring for WotC to produce a new edition, and then see this kind of response to a revamping of the prior edition. Selling out a $50 book before it hits shelves in quite an accomplishment.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  16:47:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]
Either way, it can't be reassuring for WotC to produce a new edition, and then see this kind of response to a revamping of the prior edition. Selling out a $50 book before it hits shelves in quite an accomplishment.

Speaking of revamping previous editions, have you seen Kenzer & Company are releasing Hackmaster Basic?

Word is, they are beginning to tone down the comedy in the books are are getting serious about the game too. (Oh, and yes, that's a brand-spanking NEW cover painting by OD&D artist Erol Otus.)

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  19:24:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Speaking of revamping previous editions, have you seen Kenzer & Company are releasing Hackmaster Basic?

Word is, they are beginning to tone down the comedy in the books are are getting serious about the game too. (Oh, and yes, that's a brand-spanking NEW cover painting by OD&D artist Erol Otus.)

My Hackmaster experience and knowledge is limited to having previously owned (before the fire) a copy of Hackjammer. And that failed to impress me.

Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2009 :  19:50:27  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe this immense success of Pathfinder is an indicator of how many people are unhappy with the change. This ain't 4e bashing, can't do that since I never played it, merely an observation.

OK, we don't know how many books were in the first print run, but if the 50k or so playtesters were a sort of benchmark and it exceeded that number by quite a bit, IIR Erik Mona's comment correctly, that is quite a lot of books sold.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000