Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Pathfinder tweaks for FR
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  19:47:26  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I spent a good portion of last night looking at the Beta Pathfinder rules (PHB and DMG in one book...WOOOT) and I was very impressed with the layout of the rules and the common sense changes that were made all around.

My main question is has anyone used this rule set in FR and if so was there any hang ups to watch for in the conversion?

FR is the ONLY world I play and DM in...so that said I will not use something that can't be used in FR.

As I said I DO like the rule set but I am hesitant to buy the books next month if there are issues.

Thanks

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

"He's like a trained ape...without the training"
Simon after Jane trashed the Med lab

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  19:59:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not gotten a chance to, but I know of many folks who are.

Pathfinder is basically a 'tweaked out' version of 3.5, so there's not a lot you need to worry about if you are already running 3e.

If you use that in conjunction with Monty Cooks Experimental Might, you may have something close to what 4e was trying to achieve without having to toss-out all your old sourcebooks.

Pathfinder just "cranks it up a notch"; the characters are slightly more powerful, and other parts have been better developed (like the Sorceror class, which was one the less-innovative aspects of 3e, at least in implementation).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  20:07:44  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw...I also liked the Cleric adjustments and the "everyone gets cool stuff at 20" add. It seems to me this is a great rule set...like the makers took a bit from the Unearthed Arcana (Sorc. bloodlines FTW).

If it can move seamlessly into FR...as far as deity conversion etc. is concerned then I will pick up the books when they are out. A lot of the rules I saw in the beta are some that I have had as house rules for years (D6 for Sorc. hit points)

"Go ahead...Sleep in the church...the vampires can't get ya in the church" Any DM...any time.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  20:48:39  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had put together some NPC builds for Elminster, Drizzt, Storm Silverhand and Artemis Entreri over on the WotC boards some months ago. It might give you an idea of how much tweaking is needed.

Pathfinder FR NPCs

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  21:50:14  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome...thanks Ashe.

Looks like an easy convert...hhhmmm I see much Channeling in my cleric's future.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  21:55:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, since you're just coming into this, you might want to just wait a month until the final edition comes out (Aug 13th! PDF $9!!) and then start converting. Most of the Beta rules are the same, but some have been tweaked a little more in the final release.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  22:01:30  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes I saw that.

Hard to believe that price...I must be dreaming.

Go to Top of Page

wintermute27
Learned Scribe

USA
179 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  22:22:53  Show Profile  Visit wintermute27's Homepage Send wintermute27 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been running Pathfinder BETA FR for about 3 months now, and the toughest part for me was converting the Cleric Domains. I found a link to this thread at the Wizards forums (can't remember who posted it originally) where some gracious individuals are working on this problem. http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=1077722

My Current Campaign: The Adventures of the Stonelanders
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2009 :  22:34:56  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another good link.

Thanks Wintermute27.

I like that I am not the only one looking to do some conversion to The Realm.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  04:12:00  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As soon as the Alpha came out, I converted my Featherdale campaign to it, and ran it for quite a while. I never really ran anything that didn't "seem right" when it came to classes and the Realms, but ending the campaign against the naked, blood soaked, Mystic Theurge of Cyric in the caverns under Blackfeather Bridge was one of the better intentional endings for a campaign I've ever run.

I actually did more converting trying to get "generic" 3.5 PrCs from the Complete books to fit in the Realms than trying to fit any PFRPG material in.
Go to Top of Page

MGyt
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  11:44:11  Show Profile  Visit MGyt's Homepage Send MGyt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the only part I have found so far may have been adjusting the non core races. I finished up after an hour or two. The only thing I can see being trouble is my next task. Tackling non core classes... Other than that fits fine, with the abundance of domains and with the mechanics not so far from the past products everything seems in order (Gonna have to see about these Psions and samurai now @.@).

4th edition is to 3rd as Super Smash Brothers is to Street Fighter
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2009 :  15:56:10  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear guys. Thanks. Looks like I am going to start saving coin for the book coming out in Aug.

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  15:50:28  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have been playing with the PRPG rules for more than a year now. They're freakin' awesome. I highly recommend them. At first I was playing in the Realms with PRPG rules, but got bored so much by the asinine, boring plot of "Cormyr: Tearing of the Weave" that I finally ditched the Realms completely for the dynamic, well-written Pathfinder Adventure Paths...

Here's a wonderful link that will literally give you a flow of tears of joy:

http://chargen.motime.com/

(Direct link to Excel-based PRPG Character Generator file: http://www.ashmead.net/~angel/sCore/Pathfinder-sCoreGen-b40.zip )
Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2009 :  16:59:02  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice PDK...thank you.

The more I look at the Pathfinder beta I downloaded the more I like it.
Looks like this will be my system of choice for a long time to come.

Go to Top of Page

bitter thorn
Learned Scribe

USA
184 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2009 :  20:36:17  Show Profile  Visit bitter thorn's Homepage Send bitter thorn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

I spent a good portion of last night looking at the Beta Pathfinder rules (PHB and DMG in one book...WOOOT) and I was very impressed with the layout of the rules and the common sense changes that were made all around.

My main question is has anyone used this rule set in FR and if so was there any hang ups to watch for in the conversion?

FR is the ONLY world I play and DM in...so that said I will not use something that can't be used in FR.

As I said I DO like the rule set but I am hesitant to buy the books next month if there are issues.

Thanks

I'm quite happy using it with FR.

"Nobody listens to the Ranger!"

Our groups are all sticking with 3.X classic Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  14:02:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Per the interview with Jason Bulmahn at 3.5 Sanctuary, a conversion guide will be released as a free pdf on Paizo.com the day the book releases (Aug 13th). It will include rules on how to convert magic items, monsters and prestige classes (among others).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Edited by - Ashe Ravenheart on 28 Jul 2009 14:03:02
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  15:26:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  15:32:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice! And a good marketing move, too.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  15:59:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes... Erik and his team are brilliant businessmen (and women).

Its almost uncenny how well they 'play' to their customers needs and wants.

Then again, it should be no surprise, given the responsiveness of their team on their forums - they actually listen to EVERYTHING.

Not to mention the fact that they use a custom interface. Not the prettiest site in the world, but the integration is to be marveled at (one site for ordering, info, and forums!) Once you get used to the rather bland format, you grow to appreciate the sleekness and efficiency.

Go to Top of Page

Teneck
Learned Scribe

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  16:22:04  Show Profile  Visit Teneck's Homepage Send Teneck a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Then again, it should be no surprise, given the responsiveness of their team on their forums - they actually listen to EVERYTHING.

Not to mention the fact that they use a custom interface. Not the prettiest site in the world, but the integration is to be marveled at (one site for ordering, info, and forums!) Once you get used to the rather bland format, you grow to appreciate the sleekness and efficiency.

Me I'm just happy with the "sleek and efficient" rule set they put out.
It was kid of uncanny how a lot of their rules are what I have been using as "home" rules for years. I can't wait until the books come out now.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  16:33:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Teneck

quote:

Me I'm just happy with the "sleek and efficient" rule set they put out.
It was kid of uncanny how a lot of their rules are what I have been using as "home" rules for years. I can't wait until the books come out now.

Actually, it wasn't uncanny at all.

When they went through the Alpha and Beta playtests, they were listening to all of the players about home rules and thoughts on how something should work. So, even though you have your home rules, somebody had something similar and they listened to how it worked.

Now, they didn't just take everything, toss it in a paint can and mix it up, hoping for the best. They made sure everything worked together and tried to keep everything as balanced as possible. This meant some requests were not heeded, like giving monks a 'good' base attack bonus (+1 at every level, this was mentioned in J. Bulmahn's interview in the 3.5 Sanctuary podcast). Doing so would have made the monk too powerful in their opinion, so they made sure not to use it.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  17:43:05  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I was speaking beyond the rules - like the whole point of this side-tangent. Before customers even began to wonder about conversions, they announce they will make it easy for them.

They're almost precognitive.

Or would this be a case of 'pre-emptive', given the war-like nature of this edition debacle?

Anyhow, they produce products fans want, not ones they want... thats a major feather in their cap, as far as I'm concerned. Things like FREE Beta rules and seperate downloadable Player booklets (some free) for each adventure path are just the sort of stuff DMs NEED to run an excellent game.

After all, what could you possbly do with a sourcebook full of vague ideas and completely lacking in detail? If I wanted that, I'd run a hombrew! You buy a pre-fab setting so that the details are there for you, and the DM can then concentrate on running his game, NOT his world.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jul 2009 02:23:49
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  19:20:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Player companions to the Adventure Paths are always a free PDF when you're a subscriber to the Adventure Paths. You also get free PDFs of each AP book that's delivered to you.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  20:48:02  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a couple of questions, actually. What exactly is Pathfinder? Is it another set of rules like going from one edition to the next, or is it a modification of standing rules? Also, is there a place where I can learn a little more about it? And how many books have they converted so far?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  20:58:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I have a couple of questions, actually. What exactly is Pathfinder? Is it another set of rules like going from one edition to the next, or is it a modification of standing rules? Also, is there a place where I can learn a little more about it? And how many books have they converted so far?

Pathfinder is a modified version of the 3.5 D&D ruleset. It's published by the guys that used to publish Dragon and Dungeon magazines, before the unfortunate demise of those titles.

They also have their own campaign setting, with a main campaign book, several sourcebooks, and a buttload of modules.

Paizo.com

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2009 :  21:01:37  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Pathfinder is a modified version of the 3.5 D&D ruleset. It's published by the guys that used to publish Dragon and Dungeon magazines, before the unfortunate demise of those titles.

They also have their own campaign setting, with a main campaign book, several sourcebooks, and a buttload of modules.

Paizo.com

Ah! Very nice! One final question if that's all right. For those that know about the different classes as they currently stand, have they changed the paladin class very much or is it pretty well the same?

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  00:09:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Couldn't tell you. But you can still download the Beta rules, and see for yourself.

Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  00:29:49  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Couldn't tell you. But you can still download the Beta rules, and see for yourself.

Oh gods. I should have thought of that myself. Thank you, Wooly. I think I've had a long day...

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 31 Jul 2009 07:57:46
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  04:09:51  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh... All I can say is you'd like the Paladin class. Check out the Beta version PDF for free HERE to see what they've been doing.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  05:56:37  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Per the interview with Jason Bulmahn at 3.5 Sanctuary, a conversion guide will be released as a free pdf on Paizo.com the day the book releases (Aug 13th). It will include rules on how to convert magic items, monsters and prestige classes (among others).

quote:

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

What Mark said. I like games that provide conversion information. I don't like games that tell me "everything's changing so much, you're better off rebuilding everything from scratch, so we're not even going to attempt a conversion guide." That strikes me (violently across the face) as a good way to lose your existing customer base.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2009 :  07:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Oh Gods. I should have thought of that myself. Thank you, Wooly. I think I've had a long day...

To get a taste of the final rules, you could also check out the preview of the paladin.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 29 Jul 2009 07:41:09
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000