Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Returned Abeir Novels?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  17:05:05  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic

Does anyone know if there are any novels planned or currently being written that will be taking place in Returned Abeir?

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  22:47:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good question. I'd imagine it *may* be a possible area for exploration through novels given it's still largely "virgin" territory in terms of detailing.

I know I'd definitely put my vote forward for something by Ed.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  01:21:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would indeed be interesting and I am sure we would see some in the future. It would be great to get various authors take on the region, to include Ed's.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  01:35:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I myself, hope they don't flesh that area out in novels

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  09:29:08  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
returned abeir?

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  11:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Put my vote in to have one written by Ed (I say have him do the first one to kick start it...just don't title it "Elminster in Abeir" or something like that lol)

Go to Top of Page

Hyset
Acolyte

Austria
9 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  14:51:29  Show Profile  Visit Hyset's Homepage Send Hyset a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What I would dream of is Elaine Cunningham taking a new shot at "Reclamation" with Arilyn Moonblade visiting "Returned Abeir".

Maybe she could even find a way to explain how Danilo Thann has survived the 100 years gap, too.

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  15:23:57  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hyset

What I would dream of is Elaine Cunningham taking a new shot at "Reclamation" with Arilyn Moonblade visiting "Returned Abeir".

Maybe she could even find a way to explain how Danilo Thann has survived the 100 years gap, too.

Or even something brand new taking place there would be alright.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  21:27:32  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
im not up on 4e to much yet so what is returned abeir.

go back to sleep america.everything is under control.heres american gladiators.watch this.shuttup. BILL HICKS.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2009 :  23:27:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
During the Spellplague, the continent of Maztica was teleported away, and switched places with a landmass on 'Abeir*'. Now, Maztica is in 'Abeir', and a landmass that was on 'Abeir' is where Maztica once was. That's part of the concept of "Returned Abeir" in the Realms. Other plots of land that were on Faerūn, and presumably, plots of land that were on Osse, Anchorome, Kara-Tur and Zakhara, have also swapped places with landmasses on 'Abeir.'

*'Abeir' is some kind of continent/landmass/moon/planet/demiplane/plane that, in the past, somehow "latched" on to 'Toril', joining the two as 'Abeir-Toril'. The denizens of 'Abeir', Aberrations, including the dreaded 'Aboleth Soverignty', attempted to colonize 'Toril' during this time. At some point, around -31,000 DR, a group of deities pooled together and "flung" 'Abeir' away.

-- This was all derived from Lord Karsus's "Abeir FAQ" at WotC.

Go to Top of Page

swifty
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
517 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  09:39:34  Show Profile  Visit swifty's Homepage Send swifty a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for that.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  12:39:58  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

<snip> *'Abeir' is some kind of continent/landmass/moon/planet/demiplane/plane that, in the past, somehow "latched" on to 'Toril', joining the two as 'Abeir-Toril'. The denizens of 'Abeir', Aberrations, including the dreaded 'Aboleth Soverignty', attempted to colonize 'Toril' during this time. At some point, around -31,000 DR, a group of deities pooled together and "flung" 'Abeir' away. <snip>

It's my personal opinion, but this whole thing just annoys me due to its 'similarity' to Eberron's Xoriat.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  14:44:27  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

quote:

<snip> *'Abeir' is some kind of continent/landmass/moon/planet/demiplane/plane that, in the past, somehow "latched" on to 'Toril', joining the two as 'Abeir-Toril'. The denizens of 'Abeir', Aberrations, including the dreaded 'Aboleth Soverignty', attempted to colonize 'Toril' during this time. At some point, around -31,000 DR, a group of deities pooled together and "flung" 'Abeir' away. <snip>

It's my personal opinion, but this whole thing just annoys me due to its 'similarity' to Eberron's Xoriat.

Xoriat...is that new to Eberron or was always there? (pardon my lack of knowledge of things Eberrish)

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  14:50:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It annoys me because before they came up with this idea, Abeir was a part of Toril's name, added simply to move the planet's entry to the front of the list in the Old Grey Box.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  15:16:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

quote:

quote:

Xoriat...is that new to Eberron or was always there? (pardon my lack of knowledge of things Eberrish)

No, the plane of Xoriat has been there since the "official" beginning of the setting. Back from the publication of the EBCS in '04. Check the EBERRON sub-site at WotC for more.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  22:35:43  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I like Eberron when its in Eberron. What happens in Eberron stays in Eberron, what happens in the Realms affects the Multiverse.

-There does seem to be alot of cross pollination going on lately. But what should we expect when alot of the new desingers cut their teeth on Eberron, and most of the Realms designers(Those that matter that is.) work for Paizo or somewhere else now.

-On topic I kinda like the concept of Returned Abeir, but its to foreign a realms concept to me. If Ed, Steven, Elaine, or Rich Baker (Who must be stopped!) was to write a novel in Abeir or Returned Abeir I would read it. Just my two coppers.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 12 Mar 2009 22:40:53
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  23:00:27  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have thoght long and hard about this subject. I have decided that I will have nothing to do with "returned abeir". How can it have returned when it never was? If they want to be intellectualy honest and call it Invented-Abeir or borrowed from another wizards property and called Abeir then maybe I might.
As much as it pains me, I will not be reading any abeer novels or aboleth novels. I don't care who writes them. If Ed himself penned it and It was offers to me by a unclothed THO, I am still not interested. I will support Ed through his other good novels series even though they are not in my beloved realms that exists in by bookshelf and will only contai. A handful of non-abeer , non-aboleth 4e stuff.
I hope those who want to enjoy them, but it just isn't my bag baby!
And I am sure if I miss something truly amazing , the good scribe here will spread the word for all to hear!

Ed: so

Edited by - The Red Walker on 12 Mar 2009 23:02:33
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2009 :  23:38:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

-There does seem to be alot of cross pollination going on lately. But what should we expect when alot of the new desingers cut their teeth on Eberron, and most of the Realms designers(Those that matter that is.) work for Paizo or somewhere else now.
"Cross-pollination" between campaign settings isn't really anything new, though. Thanks to the Great Wheel cosmology and Phlogiston, we often found setting-specific elements, like kender, in other settings, like the Realms for example.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  01:02:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Besides, it's not cross-pollination unless it produces a new, distinct setting (from the resulting seeds).

Anyway, yeah, I prefer "Abeir" to simply be part of the planet's name...

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 13 Mar 2009 01:02:46
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  12:20:22  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Besides, it's not cross-pollination unless it produces a new, distinct setting (from the resulting seeds).

Anyway, yeah, I prefer "Abeir" to simply be part of the planet's name...

Looks like a distinct, new setting to me

Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  18:01:52  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, "Wandering Stones" in Realms of the Dead (published last year) is a story by Bruce R Cordell set in Returned Abeir.

I think that one set of Realms novels set on the newly returned continent would be a good addition to the series. Even better would be a set of novels that focus not just on the problems caused by Returned Abeir arriving on Toril but also on what happens to Maztica now that it is part of Abeir...
Go to Top of Page

TulkaS-
Acolyte

Greece
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  21:14:33  Show Profile  Visit TulkaS-'s Homepage Send TulkaS- a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that as it was mentioned in this topic bruce cordell is the most likely to undertake the project not only because he 's already written the short story ''wondering stones '' but also because one of his major characters Kiril Duskmourn is currently missing in returned-abeir .... Furthermore in the books it is implied that the reason she went to this journey was so important that she left behind Angul to achieve it .... and we all know how she felt about the sword !
What say you ? Isn't that interesting ?
Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  21:36:50  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might be right about Bruce Cordell being best placed to write a set of Returned Abeir novels. As for Kiril Duskmourn, she went missing in the Vilhorn wilds, when I was talking about Returned Abeir I meant the whole continent that replaced Maztica in the Trackless Sea rather than the pieces of Abeir that landed on Faerun itself (which are covered in part in novel series like the Brotherhood of the Griffon).
Go to Top of Page

TulkaS-
Acolyte

Greece
6 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  23:05:05  Show Profile  Visit TulkaS-'s Homepage Send TulkaS- a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrok of Halruaa

You might be right about Bruce Cordell being best placed to write a set of Returned Abeir novels. As for Kiril Duskmourn, she went missing in the Vilhorn wilds, when I was talking about Returned Abeir I meant the whole continent that replaced Maztica in the Trackless Sea rather than the pieces of Abeir that landed on Faerun itself (which are covered in part in novel series like the Brotherhood of the Griffon).

I think that when she went in vilhon wilds she made a trade and she opened a portal to Returned by giving angul to a guardian ! I was referring to that part , or so i recall in my memory !
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  23:10:06  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would be very interested in reading about Returned Abier. In my opinion it's probably the best thing about 4e realms, and I find it to be an extremely interesting concept.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  01:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Which would make Ed the best person to write novels set in Returned Abeir, being as he created all of it. Yep, even Gontal, the bit that wouldn't fit in the 4e Realms Campaign Guide, that ended up on the WotC website as a Bruce Cordell article. Ed's creation. Reading his Backdrop: Tarmalune article left me itching to read about all of the Dusk Ports and the Sword Lands.
Ed would be my first choice for the scribe of this part of the Realms. Let Ed show the way, then let others (like the superb Elaine Cunningham) step in, bring us new characters, and tell their tales.
Yessss...
BB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  04:12:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I might be willing to read a novel set in Returned Abeir.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  05:20:06  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I don't like Returned Abeir, but I don't dislike it either. So I will read a novel set in it depending on who the characters are. I'm not a fan of Kiril Duskmourn. She and her ridiculous sword, Angul, bored me in Darkvision. If she'll be featured in a Returned Abeir novel as a main character, I'm going to pass.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  05:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On one hand I think it would be better if the novel focused on new characters native to Abier, though I can see the advantage of having a Faerunian around as the fish out of water so we can learn more about the culture of the place. I think the best compromise there is to have a Faerunian, but not have them be the main character. Have them be the Watson to the Abeirnian's Holmes.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

769 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  18:09:09  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I don't like Returned Abeir, but I don't dislike it either. So I will read a novel set in it depending on who the characters are. I'm not a fan of Kiril Duskmourn. She and her ridiculous sword, Angul, bored me in Darkvision. If she'll be featured in a Returned Abeir novel as a main character, I'm going to pass.

You haven't read much of the 4E fiction have you? Check out Plague of Spells.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2011 :  18:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caolin

quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

You haven't read much of the 4E fiction have you? Check out Plague of Spells.

I think he skipped a lot of novels

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000