Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best books to catch up from ToT - Present?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

km457
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  05:46:12  Show Profile  Visit km457's Homepage Send km457 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Looking for a list of novels to read to cover the 100-year jump from "second-edition era D&D FR" to the present. Basically I devoured everything up until 1997 or so, and have read nothing since...

Hoping to run a new campaign and need the intervening history, the Spellplague, all that... I'd hope it could be covered in 2-3 trilogies, maybe like 8-10 novels total, but who knows? Obviously there's tons of stuff out there, and I don't know where to begin. Mainly I'm looking for books dealing with the Gods, and the "Big Events" type stuff that I'd need to know to craft a good campaign and keep it historically consistent. Also, since I'll be carrying over some characters and themes from our old game, I'd like to get some inspiration for that as well...

What should I read? Thanks in advance!

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  07:56:45  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

The time-jump is largely not detailed in novels. There are two trilogies that I know which mildly cover it: The Haunted Lands [particularly the second book] by Richard Lee Byers, and The Twilight War [specifically the third book] by Paul S. Kemp. In those two series, the gods involved are Bane, Shar, and Mask, who all played significant roles.

I only read half of the second book of The Empyeran Odyssey. But I heard that Mystra's murder was also shown in that series in the form of a vision.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  17:50:34  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

I only read half of the second book of The Empyeran Odyssey. But I heard that Mystra's murder was also shown in that series in the form of a vision.

Yes, that's right Dennis, it is covered in book three of the Empyrean Odyssey: The Crystal Mountain.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2011 :  19:22:22  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To cover from ToT to current, I'd say approximately 95% of the realms novels.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000