Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Io and Ao
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  12:21:08  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello fellow Scibes

Quick question today that may very well be answered as quickly: Is there a link of any sort between Io, father of all dragons, and the overlord Ao?

Of course, Io is not even part of the forgotten realms, so the odds are that there is none. But since I started in the FR setting only 6 years ago, there is alot of lore behind me, so maybe.

And no, I don't expect that there is also an Eo, Oo, Uo and Yo.

Thank you and good day.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  13:46:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, there was a Captain Eo...

Io and Ao are not at all related. Io just worries about dragons. Ao worries about all of Realmspace.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  14:10:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are, however, fan interpretations that have attempted to find some connection between Io and Ao -- the most notable being stored at the planewalker.com site.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  14:32:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I remember something about Io being the Overgod of Greyspace (Greyhawk), but I'm not sure if that was GH, SJ, or something else entirely.

And according to 4e lore, Gods do NOT have 'races' - gods are all drawn from the same pool of beings and although they do have racial worshippers, they themselves care not a wit about race.

That, of course, was one of the major retcons of 4e, to help explain how some racial gods got combined with human ones.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 00:07:39
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  17:57:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I, personally, never saw any connections, and don't think there are connections. Ao is Realmspace's Overdeity. Io is the head of the Draconic Pantheon (Yes?). Both are two letter names with two vowels, but that's the only similarity. Going on that basis, I could make up a deity names 'Yo', and it could, in theory, also be related.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:10:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-I, personally, never saw any connections, and don't think there are connections. Ao is Realmspace's Overdeity. Io is the head of the Draconic Pantheon (Yes?). Both are two letter names with two vowels, but that's the only similarity. Going on that basis, I could make up a deity names 'Yo', and it could, in theory, also be related.

No.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:13:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-In theory.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:34:59  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just think that it's quite a coincidence that the overgod of FR have almost the same name as one of the most powerful gods in D&D history (well, I guess he is). They could have been made from the same essence or something. In other words, they could be "brothers". It would make sense, kinda, as much as gods in a fantasy world can make sense.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:44:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ao is the Overdeity of Realmspace, and Io is the head of the Draconic pantheon. Asides for the name similarity, there's nothing that similar about the two. Maybe being in positions of power, but Ao is in a class of his own, while Io is just a pantheon head, and is likened to Corellon Larethian, Moradin, and all of them.

-Leira, the deity, sounds a lot like Lliira, the deity. There's no connection there (that we know of, anyway). At least officially, there's no connection with Io and Ao. But, if you, personally want there to be a connection, be my guest.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 22 Nov 2008 18:44:52
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  18:53:55  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe being in positions of power, but Ao is in a class of his own, while Io is just a pantheon head, and is likened to Corellon Larethian, Moradin, and all of them.

Good point, he shouldn't be above Moradin/Corellon/Gruumsh. Even though dragons is the most powerful race in general (outsiders aside I mean)

BTW in draconomicon 3rd edition, Io's divinity is an intermediate power, what were they thinking? It makes no sense. Is it only because he has less followers then, let's say Moradin? Doesn't the power of the followers count for something? IIRC he was a greater god in 2nd edition, and Bahamut/Tiamat were intermedite, not lesser.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2008 :  19:02:35  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

Good point, he shouldn't be above Moradin/Corellon/Gruumsh. Even though dragons is the most powerful race in general (outsiders aside I mean)

-Hey, I know a lot of races that would take offense to that!

quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

BTW in draconomicon 3rd edition, Io's divinity is an intermediate power, what were they thinking? It makes no sense. Is it only because he has less followers then, let's say Moradin? Doesn't the power of the followers count for something? IIRC he was a greater god in 2nd edition, and Bahamut/Tiamat were intermedite, not lesser.

-Never noticed that before.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  00:13:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, beings on that 'cosmic' scale (forgoing the 3e stats for Io) are really nothing more then hard-to-fathom concepts to mortals, so those 'names' might not really be names at all, but rather how they translate into the mind of a mortal.

Perhaps the higher-up the deific food-chain you go, the less vowels you get.

Also, from what I ahave heard (not read anywhere), they got the name Ao from the Greek 'Alpha-Omega' - the beginning and the end, or in other words, Eternity (in Marvel Comics lingo).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 03:38:39
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  00:34:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's important to note, as well, that Io was a greater power in 2e but was ranked down to intermediate god status in 3e. Also, in the Realms, Io is more commonly called Asgorath.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  00:37:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Also, from what I ahave heard (not read anywhere), they got the name Ao from the Greek 'Alpha-Omega' - the beginning and the end, or in other words, Eternity (in Marval Comics lingo).

The 'Alpha-Omega' concept is just a theory.

It's probably worth stating that Ao was not something Ed created. TSR come up with the concept of Ao and he was brought into the setting during the Time of Troubles -- through the 1e to 2e change over. As it stands, Ed has no idea on where TSR came up with the concept of Ao.

For myself, I've actually long suspected that Ao was, at least partially, based on the concept of An from the Sumerian pantheon.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  01:07:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Ao is AOK in my book...

-0w, that was bad...

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 Nov 2008 01:07:31
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  03:00:15  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-In theory.

Was joke, based on your statement of making up a deity name of any letter and the letter O.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  03:44:39  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, it must be a vowel coupled with the 'o', and 'y' is only sometimes a vowel, ergo that being could only sometimes be an Overgod, as in -

Yo! You an Overgod today?

I suppose that would make 'Oo' a legal choice, but that just looks like someone tipped-over a snowman.

Of course, that would only give us five possible Overgods.. sometimes six.

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Nov 2008 03:45:09
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  03:46:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose that would make 'Oo' a legal choice, but that just looks like someone tipped-over a snowman.

-I believe that Oo would be the "overdeity" in charge of general chaos, confusion, and insanity. The embodiment of all of that.

Elves of Faerūn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 23 Nov 2008 03:47:00
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  06:01:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

For some reason, this sentence strikes me as quite amusing.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  07:16:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Also, from what I ahave heard (not read anywhere), they got the name Ao from the Greek 'Alpha-Omega' - the beginning and the end, or in other words, Eternity (in Marval Comics lingo).

The 'Alpha-Omega' concept is just a theory.

It's probably worth stating that Ao was not something Ed created. TSR come up with the concept of Ao and he was brought into the setting during the Time of Troubles -- through the 1e to 2e change over. As it stands, Ed has no idea on where TSR came up with the concept of Ao.

For myself, I've actually long suspected that Ao was, at least partially, based on the concept of An from the Sumerian pantheon.

Or it could have been something similar to the story of L. Frank Baum's naming of Oz. He was telling his story to children and needed a name quick, looked up and saw a filing cabinet with O-Z on the plate.

Although I can't think of a filing cabinet in D&D central encompassing all of A-O...

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  13:35:26  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And according to 4e lore, Gods do NOT have 'races' - gods are all drawn from the same pool of beings and although they do have racial worshippers, they themselves care not a wit about race.

That, of course, was one of the major retcons of 4e, to help explain how some racial gods got combined with human ones.

Le quack? That clashes with so much previous lore that the whole great tree/wheel brouhaha seems tiny by comparison....

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  16:54:21  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True, it must be a vowel coupled with the 'o', and 'y' is only sometimes a vowel, ergo that being could only sometimes be an Overgod, as in -

That's because your sad, vowel-deprived language haven't got the letters å, ä, and ö. So us Scandinavians can have nine overgods (even if we can't agree on how to write all of the letters).

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  17:09:44  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Le quack? That clashes with so much previous lore that the whole great tree/wheel brouhaha seems tiny by comparison....

-Such are the times we live in.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  17:29:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

That's because your sad, vowel-deprived language haven't got the letters å, ä, and ö. So us Scandinavians can have nine overgods (even if we can't agree on how to write all of the letters).

So the Spanish and folks in Latin America could also have overgods like Įo, Éo, or Ņo...

And our language isn't vowel-deprived. We simply make more efficient use of our vowels.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2008 :  23:37:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay folks, we seem to be diverting from the original topic somewhat. Let's get back on track, eh?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  00:04:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The voice of Reason!

We started out somehwere in Mechanus, I think, and somehow managed to slide all the way to Limbo.

But ya' have to admit, it was pretty funny.

Back on Topic:
The stuff about Io being the Overgod of GH - was that also just a theory, or was that canon somewhere? I played GH for years and I don't recall seeing anything to that effect written down anywhere.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2008 00:05:30
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  00:21:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Granted, my GH lore has collected a little dust over the years, but I don't immediately recall any particular reference to Io being an Overgod/power for Greyspace.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  15:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Granted, my GH lore has collected a little dust over the years, but I don't immediately recall any particular reference to Io being an Overgod/power for Greyspace.

Nor do I (I know some GH lore, myself).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  16:48:19  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Back on Topic:
The stuff about Io being the Overgod of GH - was that also just a theory, or was that canon somewhere? I played GH for years and I don't recall seeing anything to that effect written down anywhere.

-It's all theory. The only overdeities that exist are Ao, and "The High Deity", from Dragonlance (or something to that effect).

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  18:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is a "high Deity" in Dragonlance? huh? I thought there was only Chaos the father of the gods and then like, the "good" deity...
Go to Top of Page

Genis
Learned Scribe

USA
226 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2008 :  18:26:41  Show Profile  Visit Genis's Homepage Send Genis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As far as "the most powerful" of the dragonlance gods go that is, which is why I didn't mention all the other sucky gods
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000