Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Impiltur Map
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  03:14:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I've completed (I hope) the long-awaited Impiltur map. My apologies to Krash for taking so long - I have a million things going on at once right now.

http://markustay.deviantart.com/art/Impiltur-67090460

AFAIK, the only non-canon locals are the town of Wye, and the trail called "Centaur's Flight", both borrowed from the Northern Journey Campaign. I also took the liberty of adding in "the Badlands" from that Campaign, as well as some swamps, because I thought the reason they gave for them were excellent (part of Ed's original vision for the region).

The funny thing is, I thought this map was going to be pretty empty, and it wound up one of the most crowded I've ever done. I took everything I could find in source and on various maps, and even made a minor 'correction' from the 1e CS - you can read what in the "Artists Comments" below the map. I had only two empty spots, and thats where I added the Compass-rose and a Coat-of-Arms.

Some of the items were a little rough to place, because the entire range used to be the Earthfast, and now the Earthspurs were added, which means I had to do a little juggling.

Please take the time to look it over and let me know if there are any errors - especially Krash, since he created several of the locations in his Dragon Magazine article.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Oct 2007 00:45:19

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36793 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  03:23:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good stuff. It looks quite professional.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  10:03:11  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your work Markustay and if I may I would like to use your maps fore an upcoming FR Site on the net.

Keep up the good work

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  10:12:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another very impressive piece of work, fellow scribe.

I love the details. So very handy for a Dm running a campaign.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  13:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Impressive work, Markustay. Thanks for share it with us!

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31716 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  13:46:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice, Markus. Very nice.

I'm assuming we can eventually add this to the Candlekeep Map Room as well?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11803 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  15:01:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice map. Lots'o'research there. Maybe some of it was in the dragon article and I'm just forgetting. Maybe its from another resource. Mind if I pick your brain? Just wondering what some of this was, like who was Harandil and what was his march for? Where'd Dargrath's caverns come from? What's Pick'N'Axe? Anything special with Ondle's Spur, or is it just a village with a lighthouse or somesuch? Don't expect big answers, in fact, if you could just point me to the resources that'd be fun (and the interest is casual, so if its not on the tip of your tongue its cool).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5695 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  16:52:11  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Outstanding, as always, Markustay Wonderful work. As the Sage says, would this be permitted to be displayed in the Map Room along with thy other masterpieces?

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:08:32  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most impressive Markus, thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  17:53:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys

@Sleyvas: I should probably wait for Krash- just about everything you've asked about are creation's of George's in his Dragon Magazine article. Ondle's Spur, along with the other two nearby villages, were from an earlier Dragon article, and are halfling communities - I placed them because they also got a mention in Krash's article. There are dozens, perhaps hundreds, of other small communities in the area, but those were the ones named in canon sources so I placed them.

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Very nice, Markus. Very nice.

I'm assuming we can eventually add this to the Candlekeep Map Room as well?
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo
Outstanding, as always, Markustay Wonderful work. As the Sage says, would this be permitted to be displayed in the Map Room along with thy other masterpieces?

Of course, of course. Just wait until George looks it over so it can become 'official'.

There were a few locales I wasn't sure about, like Dargoth's caves, that he mentions are a "Week's ride southeast of Ithfell's Tower in the Earthspur Mountains". As you can see, that would be kind of impossible, so it's in the Earthfast Now (older maps show ALL of the mountains as Earthspur, which is probably how that mistake originated). Another note is that the words "The Easting Coast" really should be lower, but there was no room - everything a few miles north of the coast is considered "The Uplands", not just that 'dale' up north.

Also completely unsure about the Howling Gorge and the Citadel of Conjurors, but it seemed like a good place for the Gorge. That area's a bit crowded, but I like the idea of a Narfellin Fortress sitting at the juncture of the two ranges.

Mr. K also said he may gift us with a few more locales, so I will await on his approval before we move this map into the library. The Badlands are completely empty (I didn't want to borrow too much from Northern Journey), and the penninsula where the shield is now could really use something (If you like the shield, I can always move it down above the scale).

In the interrum, I have several others that I finished on my site that can go into the Library - A 100% official Thay map, and two maps of the Stonelands/Stormhorns that are 95% canon (I added two towns - one in the Stonelands and the other in the Tunlands). All info should be below each map.

I wanted to do a few 'historic' maps next, but Brian James reccomends I wait.

So it's Amn and Tethyr next, to compliment the Erlkazar map.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 17 Aug 2007 20:39:12
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  18:05:01  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I was actually just sitting here thinking that I wish you'd do Amn, then I read this post . If I haven't said it already, all of your maps are excellent and incredibly useful. Thanks for your work.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  01:18:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Obviously it's a wonderful map. Great job.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  01:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers Mark. Wonderful map as always. I had the pleasure of seeing Krashos' reaction when I told him you had posted it. He looked like a kid in a candy store!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  06:02:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Brian, you just made my day.

I will be looking forward to his input.

BTW, I just posted a newer version of my Hordelands map as well, with a few adds and corrections (around Mulhorand) - it was mostly to place the locales discussed in Dragon #349.

You might want to wait though, because I've decided the area where the Golden Way cuts through the mountains needs to be moved a bit north, so there will be a 4.0 version by next week.

Edited by - Markustay on 18 Aug 2007 06:04:39
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2007 :  07:15:25  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Great! Looking forward to those (your 'Old Valashar' map is my desktop background). Should you need input, drop me a line. Of course, you should try to ping Mr S.E. Schend, since he deatiled quite a lot of the area.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  16:45:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

quote:

Great! Looking forward to those (your 'Old Valashar' map is my desktop background). Should you need input, drop me a line. Of course, you should try to ping Mr S.E. Schend, since he deatiled quite a lot of the area.

Also be sure to ping Eric Boyd; he might actually have my unexpurgated Tethyr drafts, as I've had enough hard drive crashes to no longer have the original files of LOI. There wasn't a horrendous amount of editing, but there was usually more detail work at the county level with villages or sites that may or may not have made it onto official maps.

Looking forward to seeing a new look at Tethyr, myself....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  19:00:49  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very very very well done map with so much detail. I love seeing maps with details of that level. Keep it up, they rock!

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  14:15:54  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd like to add my thanks to the list. I've really enjoyed your map work and hope to see many more from your very talented hands.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  22:14:29  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just found another 1e reference, and added Barroch's Hold to the map.

I hope Krash comes along soon, I'd really like his input on this. Of course, I realize I couldn't have released this on a worse weekend. I'm sure he's super-busy with all the recent announcements.

I also updated a couple other maps - I found a town that was missing a name on the Silver marches map (Nontar's Hold), added a couple sites to the Shining Lands (mostly from Desert of Desolation), and 'tweaked' the mountains on the Horde map (note that their are two non-canon locations on it as well now, so check the text below each the map).

Also added two new maps, but nothing special. They were just to answer a couple questions posted at the WotC boards.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  14:16:59  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'm in Sweden right now and not in a position to comment. I'll send you an e-mail when I get home in another week or so.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

coach
Senior Scribe

USA
479 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:30:55  Show Profile Send coach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for the map!

question: Lotchas' Tower ... what sources have that placed there? ... i have always tried to figure out where to place that

here is what i have compiled:

17. Lothchas [bandit lord] (FR9 p15) (PGFR p117) (H4 p83)
a. Small band frequents the area of the Ice Gorge (PGFR p117)

the old 2nd ed players guide to faerun mentioned him frequenting the area near the Ice Gorge ... was this the reference or did you have another?

he was first mentioned in the Throne of Bloodstone and then by RA Salvatore in FR9 The Bloodstone Lands before his mention in the PGFR, but i have been looking for other sources

thanks in advance

Bloodstone Lands Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gelcur
Senior Scribe

515 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2007 :  03:59:53  Show Profile  Visit Gelcur's Homepage Send Gelcur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance the Western Heartlands is on your list of up and coming maps. =) Would love to see all the old sites restored to that area.

The party come to a town befallen by hysteria

Rogue: So what's in the general store?
DM: What are you looking for?
Rogue: Whatevers in the store.
DM: Like what?
Rogue: Everything.
DM: There is a lot of stuff.
Rogue: Is there a cart outside?
DM: (rolls) Yes.
Rogue: We'll take it all, we may need it for the greater good.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  02:40:27  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Gelcur - I pretty much covered about 90% of the Western Heartlands with my Silver Marches map(s). However, I am working my way up the coast right now, so after I finish Calimshan, Tethyr, and Amn, I will continue and finish the remainder of the Sword Coast. Bear in mind I really do most of these to help others, because my own pet project lies elsewhere - mapping the rest of the world, starting with Kara-Tur.

@Coach - 1e FRCS, Cyclopedia of the Realms, pg.52, Impiltur entry -

"Lothchas the Bandit-Lord operates in the Desertspire Mountains and the Ice Gorge to the west, where the hobgoblins lived ere there strength was broken. Lothchas is a 15th level lord with a small but powerful group of followers (numbering about 50 total, but including all non-good classes and not including any less then 9th level)."

Thats pretty potent, especially considering that 3-5th level NPCs are often described as 'powerful' in that tome.

Thats the ONLY source I found him in, and I had to make a couple of 'adjustments' to make it fit 3e (and even 2e). Going by some of what I read in the northern journey campaign, Ed's originally concept for everything north of Impiltur was wastelands that lead up to the Glacier, which was located much further soouth back then. The Bloodstone lands were 'shoe-horned' in, and we lost the wastes and a good chunk of Glacier, the only small piece remaining in Impiltur being the Glacier of the White Worm. Now, considering thats the only Ice we have left in the region, it made sense to place the Ice Gorrge there, and to have the keep nearby, and "to the west" of Impiltur. By naming the foothills of the Earthspurs the "Desertspire Hills" it relates to the original reference, and we can assume that the the small mountain range seen slightly to the west of the Earthspurs are the Desertspire, which will reconcile everthing from all 3 editions (Oi Vey! I just realized I will have to reconcile yet another edition soon).

I will probably post a little homebrew lore that I created for this small range, to explain the name and it's history.

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Aug 2007 05:27:38
Go to Top of Page

Dalvyn
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  22:09:20  Show Profile  Visit Dalvyn's Homepage Send Dalvyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, and thanks for this beautiful map! I am working on a campaign that will take place in Impiltur and your (and G. Krashos's) work will help me tremendously.

I remember reading (I forgot where though) that Elphras (one of Imbrar II's twin sons) disappeared after building a castle somewhere near the Great Barrow. Is the location of this castle or of the Great Barrow more precisely pinpoined anywhere?

Thanks for your help!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2007 :  22:29:43  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am sure that when Mr. Krashos is finally able to E-mail me, there will be several changes/additions to the material therein, and I will forward your inquery to him.

Once it gets HIS stamp of approval, it can be added to the Maproom here at the keep.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Aug 2007 04:24:55
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2007 :  10:16:41  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As Ed said on countless times at GEN-CON, "Mr Greenwood" is his father. George is fine.

The keep of Elphras is across the Reach in the Great Dale.

And yes, when I get home I'll be able to respond properly to Markustay's excellent work.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dalvyn
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2007 :  03:54:43  Show Profile  Visit Dalvyn's Homepage Send Dalvyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another question about the map, that I hope you can help me answer. :)

The Herald's Road crosses Traders' Bay at "the Narrows", in-between Bluefang Water and the Old Water. I was wondering what this crossing was exactly.

Is there a large stone bridge built over the water? Or are there simply small ships or barges set on each side of the water that are used to carry both travellers and goods from one side to the other? Or is the water so shallow there that people can walk across (but then how do ships reach Bay Town)?

Edited by - Dalvyn on 11 Oct 2007 02:18:00
Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  16:31:47  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love this map, especially since I am just now starting an Impiltur campaign. Now I just need to hunt down all of your source material...

Many Thanks

Ionik Knight

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  17:12:54  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your Welcome.

This project was especially important to me, in that it gave me a certain amount of 'street cred' in the community, and I just want to thank GK for giving me the opportunity.

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Dec 2008 05:44:13
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2008 :  00:37:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now all I have to do is find the time to go through it with you and fix it.

Drop me an e-mail: krashos@bigpond.com

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000