Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gencon 2009?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  02:31:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm signed up for another fun year at Gen Con!

I highly recommend attending on Friday if you can, since that day holds the official Forgotten Realms seminars, including "Spin a yarn with Ed Greenwood"

Oh wow, they moved them to Friday? Wow.....

What day were they held on in previous years?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  02:43:44  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm signed up for another fun year at Gen Con!

I highly recommend attending on Friday if you can, since that day holds the official Forgotten Realms seminars, including "Spin a yarn with Ed Greenwood"

Oh wow, they moved them to Friday? Wow.....

What day were they held on in previous years?

The FR seminars (and a good deal of WotC seminars in general) have been held on Saturdays in recent years. Not sure of the reasoning, but that's how it was.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  02:53:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

The FR seminars (and a good deal of WotC seminars in general) have been held on Saturdays in recent years. Not sure of the reasoning, but that's how it was.

Moving them to Friday could be interpreted as a sign of the diminished importance of the FR setting. I know someone else is going to say that...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  03:20:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Garen Thal

Moving them to Friday could be interpreted as a sign of the diminished importance of the FR setting. I know someone else is going to say that...

Not necessarily. It could also mean that the organisers have recognised the importance of the changes to the setting. And thus, they've shifted the FR seminar to a day all its own so that attendees have more time and opportunity to interact with the panel about what's going on.

I'd assume time isn't so much of a luxury when all the seminars have been scheduled for the Saturday in the past. Perhaps this will give both those attending and those fielding questions more time to talk about the Realms.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  03:24:09  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Not necessarily. It could also mean that the organisers have recognised the importance of the changes to the setting. And thus, they've shifted the FR seminar to a day all its own so that attendees have more time and opportunity to interact with the panel about what's going on.

I'd assume time isn't so much of a luxury when all the seminars have been scheduled for the Saturday in the past. Perhaps this will give both those attending and those fielding questions more time to talk about the Realms.

That's all well and good but in my experience, there's a LOT less people around on Friday then there are on Saturday. :) Least, that's how its always seemed to me in the sellers hall. Saturday is usually packed and on Friday you can at least walk around w/o slamming into people.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  05:05:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's all well and good but in my experience, there's a LOT less people around on Friday then there are on Saturday. :) Least, that's how its always seemed to me in the sellers hall. Saturday is usually packed and on Friday you can at least walk around w/o slamming into people.
Heh. Maybe that's why the FR seminar's been shifted to the Friday... to draw more people in on that day.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  05:35:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Heh. Maybe that's why the FR seminar's been shifted to the Friday... to draw more people in on that day.

I dunno, think that's going to fail. :) People are either flying in still, working still, etc. Which is why Saturday is usually busier. :) That was what I was trying to say.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  14:02:06  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Honestly? there's only three seminars dealing with the Realms. 'Spin a Yarn' is on Friday, followed by 'The D&D World of the Forgotten Realms', then on Saturday is RAS' Mind seminar.

Overall, WotC is holding 14 seminars during the whole convention. The three mentioned above, one (1!) Eberron seminar on Thursday and a Dragonlance 25th Anniversary seminar (With Margaret and Tracy, Friday at 6pm) are the only ones focused on settings. The other nine are about Organized Play/RPGA, 4th Edition Design discussions and workshops.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  17:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's only one Eberron seminar even though this is the year the setting is getting it's new book? I have to admit I'm a bit surprised.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  17:50:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

There's only one Eberron seminar even though this is the year the setting is getting it's new book? I have to admit I'm a bit surprised.

That's more than a bit surprising... And it's really difficult to refrain from reading into odd factoids like that, too.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  18:21:17  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So I'm (tentatively) planning on coming to Gencon (my first con since the old COScon back in the 90's, when I was a high-schooler!) and I wanted to ask a few questions for those of you that have been before-
The VIG registration- has anyone done this? Is it a worthwhile expenditure, or will I be wishing I'd just bought a 4 day pass?
Hotels- are the scribes of the 'keep planning on staying in a particular hotel, or is it catch-as-catch-can?
Does anyone know if there will be any 3.x gaming (including Pathfinder) events?
Thanks in advance.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  18:31:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep. Only one seminar and it's on Thursday afternoon. It reads identical to the Forgotten Realms seminar.

quote:
Join members of Wizard’s R&D team, D&D Insider, and novel authors to discuss the latest happenings in the Eberron campaign setting. Secrets and upcoming events will be revealed!

Description of the Realms seminar:
quote:
Join members of Wizard’s R&D team, D&D Insider, and novel authors to discuss the latest happenings in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting and Living Forgotten Realms. Secrets and upcoming events will be revealed!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  18:44:01  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Knight of the Gate

So I'm (tentatively) planning on coming to Gencon (my first con since the old COScon back in the 90's, when I was a high-schooler!) and I wanted to ask a few questions for those of you that have been before-
The VIG registration- has anyone done this? Is it a worthwhile expenditure, or will I be wishing I'd just bought a 4 day pass?

I've never done the VIG. It sounds okay, if you don't mind spending the (LOTS OF) extra money. If you get a hotel nearby or have a car, I don't see the point of the VIG room except for free soda and snacks.

quote:

Hotels- are the scribes of the 'keep planning on staying in a particular hotel, or is it catch-as-catch-can?

Going through the GenCon Housing Bureau means getting what's available. Since this is cheaper than renting rooms without the Housing Bureau's help, and that the HB reserves blocks of rooms, it's not likely to get all of us in a single hotel. Besides, most of the hotels are within the same walking distance of the ICC.

quote:

Thanks in advance.

Last I checked, I saw that there were 40+ Pathfinder games and over 100 3.0/3.5 games being run .

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  20:29:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never done the VIP thing, not even sure what that's about.

Housing is come as they get rooms but housing has been open since about Feb, so most of the rooms had been taken but people cancel, etc. Make sure to get on the waiting list. It only took a few hours when housing opened to fill the rooms at the hotel I usually stay at, so this year I'm at a different one but yeah, the hotels are basically within walking distance unless you stay out near the airport.

Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  20:50:39  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info, guys. Are there any plans for a CK get-togeher?

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  21:00:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure, that's why I mentioned it only a day or so ago. We should start making plans for one.....

I'd rather know ahead of time if we're going to meet, where we're going to meet, and when were going to meet instead of trying to find people when there are hundreds of people around.

I thought meeting out front of the Hyatt worked out pretty well, like we did last year.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2009 :  22:50:30  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am all for a CK meetup. I am staying at the Westin but can travel anywhere within walking distance.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2009 :  00:07:30  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks in advance.

Paizo's listed the Pathfinder events at GenCon here.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  12:15:03  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would there be any interest in playing in a CK-exclusive 4e Session? I am willing to run it if there is interest. I am sure Brian R. James will be involved, else he feel the wrath of an irate family member ;)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  18:43:30  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Now that sounds like an excellent idea! I'm down.

quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Would there be any interest in playing in a CK-exclusive 4e Session? I am willing to run it if there is interest. I am sure Brian R. James will be involved, else he feel the wrath of an irate family member ;)

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  18:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what days I'm driving up to Indy yet, but if this happens, I'll schedule for it!

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  21:00:02  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone would like me to 'friend' them in the GenCon Registration page, send me your email in PM. That way we can see each other's schedules (and buy tickets if feeling generous).

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  03:35:50  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not sure, that's why I mentioned it only a day or so ago. We should start making plans for one.....

I'd rather know ahead of time if we're going to meet, where we're going to meet, and when were going to meet instead of trying to find people when there are hundreds of people around.

I thought meeting out front of the Hyatt worked out pretty well, like we did last year.

Aye, this is something that should be planned. :) But, since I've never been to Indy, I'll just try to find the meeting spot once there... or just catch up with Kuje at one of our hotels and follow him, since I do know where those are, lol.

I still need to buy my plane ticket, but I'm planning on being in Indy on Wed. sometime.

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  09:14:02  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

Aye, this is something that should be planned. :) But, since I've never been to Indy, I'll just try to find the meeting spot once there... or just catch up with Kuje at one of our hotels and follow him, since I do know where those are, lol.

I still need to buy my plane ticket, but I'm planning on being in Indy on Wed. sometime.

I figured you and I would meet up at a hotel sometime thursday or friday.....

And ditto on the plane thing, i need to do that!

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  16:05:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

Ooh! Sign me up for this.

If we have a number of folks, maybe we can put together a *Candlekeep session*, where we have a few games going on? I'd be willing to run one as well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  16:18:10  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder how many NDAs it would violate if we were to play characters from our upcoming novels? ;)

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  16:22:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll throw out that I'd be interested in playing, but waaaaay more interested if using 3.5/Pathfinder rules. I wouldn't turn down a game with you folks based on the edition, just saying I'd be more excited.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  17:36:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

I wonder how many NDAs it would violate if we were to play characters from our upcoming novels? ;)

At least 26. Possibly more.

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

I'll throw out that I'd be interested in playing, but waaaaay more interested if using 3.5/Pathfinder rules. I wouldn't turn down a game with you folks based on the edition, just saying I'd be more excited.

That would be reasonable too.

Maybe we should start a poll . . . Who'll do the honors?

Example Poll:

quote:
We're considering putting together a Candlekeep-specific D&D Session. Which of these represents your interest?

1) I'd love to! Any edition.
2) I'm so there and I want to play 4e!
3) I'd play if we stuck with 3.5.
4) I'll be there, and I want to break out my pre-3e FR stuff.
5) I can't make it to GenCon/I'm not interested.

(Note this does NOT represent your own home gaming preference--we would be asking specifically about *what you would play that one particular time at GenCon*. 3.5 loyalists should feel totally comfortable trying out 4e if they want [and this is an opportunity to play a really good 4e game], and 4e enthusiasts shouldn't feel guilty about wanting to play a 3.5 FR game. Or whatever.)

Once we collect some votes, it will give a good sense of how many players we can expect, which will let us calculate how many games to have (and which sorts). Maybe it'll only be like 5 people (which would make for one good game), but who knows?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  17:47:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A Pathfinder-specific rules option should be listed, too, since some of our scribes have become willing converts of that system. I suspect that I was an active game, I'd be all over it, myself -- as it is, I will buy the rule book when it comes out.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  18:53:50  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Speaking of which, it was noted on the Paizo messageboards (not sure where, so no linky) that if you are a Pathfinder subscriber and purchase the book at GenCon, you will be charged your Subscriber rate for the book.

If we have enough people for multiple editions, I'd offer my services to doing a Pathfinder Beta conversion of whatever is run...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000