Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gencon 2009?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2009 :  22:45:47  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also a cool, least to me, new exhibit at the Indy museum. They have a new egypt display opening and they're one of the few US cities that are showing some of the items from King Tut's tomb.

http://www.kingtut.org/home

I purchased my advanced tickets, so that's the only thing I have planned for sure. I'm going at 1pm on Saturday.

On top of the birthday rules I mentioned earlier, the TSA has released another new rule and that new rule is that your name has to match your drivers license and/or passport. So, don't forget to add your middle initial and or your middle name if it's on either government document or you might not be boarded.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 15 May 2009 23:04:27
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  06:22:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kes and I were chatting and we decided, without really deciding about that we were actually going to go, to go to the costume dance on Saturday night. We just started discussing finding costumes and well, I guess we're going. :)

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/pm/events/gcdance.aspx

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  15:17:55  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Kes and I were chatting and we decided, without really deciding about that we were actually going to go, to go to the costume dance on Saturday night. We just started discussing finding costumes and well, I guess we're going. :)

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/pm/events/gcdance.aspx

Funny how that worked out, lol! *still grumbling about period clothing being dresses/skirts for women*

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  15:20:08  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I run a session for the authors, you can expect a TPK ;)

But seriously, I think it would be a great time to get a session (or multiple?) going for CK attendees. I will have a custom CK adventure written up that players can take home as swag.

Edited by - Matt James on 17 May 2009 15:21:30
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  19:55:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matt James

If I run a session for the authors, you can expect a TPK ;)

It would be an honor, Matt.

quote:
But seriously, I think it would be a great time to get a session (or multiple?) going for CK attendees. I will have a custom CK adventure written up that players can take home as swag.

That seems like a really good idea. We could run multiple sessions of the same adventure at the same time. And like I said, I'd be down for running one, if it doesn't conflict with another commitment.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  23:04:25  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Matt, if you don't mind, I'd like to run the adventure for those Pathfinders among us. I sent a PM with my email address if you'd be willing to send me a copy to convert.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2009 :  23:13:34  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep in mind that this may be the best way to get people to become acquainted to a little bit of 4e. I am not suggesting they need to like it, but what better introduction to the new edition than through the comfort of Candlekeep companions? It should take me about a week or so considering work and family commitments.

Edited by - Matt James on 18 May 2009 00:28:46
Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  01:45:12  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Keep in mind that this may be the best way to get people to become acquainted to a little bit of 4e. I am not suggesting they need to like it, but what better introduction to the new edition than through the comfort of Candlekeep companions? It should take me about a week or so considering work and family commitments.

This is just my opinion, and only applies to me. I really don't want to learn a new system just to be able to have a chance to play/meet with other scribes. I no longer have a gaming group, and the email game that I'm in runs 3.X (I know, I know.. I need to post something). To me, it makes no sense to me to learn it, just to play one game. YMMV *shrug*

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  02:01:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Kes

Pathfinder is very close to 3.X, so you could play it with very little noticeable difference.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  02:11:18  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Pathfinder is very close to 3.X, so you could play it with very little noticeable difference.

Thanks Ashe :) I've looked through the Pathfinder rules some, and liked what I read. I'm thinking about buying the book at GenCon, unless some wicked artwork catches my eye instead.

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  02:50:11  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

This is just my opinion, and only applies to me. I really don't want to learn a new system just to be able to have a chance to play/meet with other scribes. I no longer have a gaming group, and the email game that I'm in runs 3.X (I know, I know.. I need to post something). To me, it makes no sense to me to learn it, just to play one game. YMMV *shrug*

I'm not doing any of this based off of the edition turf war, its just a simple adventure for people to play in if they choose. Just like much of Gen Con, it is about experiencing new systems and games (for me at least). I'm not expecting everyone to play the module, but I do plan to write it with 4e rules. Others are going to write other ones so it all works out I suppose :)
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  17:11:19  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm. How cool would it be for Ed to sit in on a session? He is a pretty busy guy at Gen Con, but you never know!

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2009 :  21:57:39  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

Hmmm. How cool would it be for Ed to sit in on a session? He is a pretty busy guy at Gen Con, but you never know!

Wow, that would be a dream come true. Then again, having actual Realms authors playing in my adventure is humbling enough!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  09:03:04  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

Thanks Ashe :) I've looked through the Pathfinder rules some, and liked what I read. I'm thinking about buying the book at GenCon, unless some wicked artwork catches my eye instead.

Ashe, I might be interested in joining the Pathfinder adventure but it depends on what day and time you are thinking of hosting the event. As I've posted, my Saturday is pretty packed. :) But I know the FR seminars are on Friday during the day for those of you are planning on going....

So, let me know what you decide.

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  14:07:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll probably try to run it the same time as Matt (maybe at a nearby table) so we can commiserate together!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  15:09:48  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Friday may be a good day, either before or after the seminars.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  15:25:23  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL, Friday's the only night I have a game scheduled... Munchkin Cthulu from 9-11 pm.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  18:06:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okies. :) Well, ya two figure it out and let us know. :)

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  18:41:29  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also just volunteered to be a GM Volunteer for Paizo at the Con for a couple of slots (See Here). Specifically Thursday from 6pm-10pm and Sunday from 8am-Noon.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  19:08:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not that you should necessarily take my schedule into account, but I am otherwise occupied Thursday 1-6 p.m., then Friday 11 a.m. through the seminars (of course).

Playing shortly after the Realms seminar might be the easiest, actually, because then everyone will be in one place, right? (In deference to Ashe being eaten by octopus demons that night.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  19:22:19  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One word, Erik:

"SUSHI!"

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:26:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

One word, Erik:

"SUSHI!"

1d4 investigators a round? What what?

Ahem. (Spam count +1.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

LucianBarasu
Fellaren-Krae Co-ordinator

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:31:40  Show Profile  Visit LucianBarasu's Homepage Send LucianBarasu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With Tymora's wink and tickle on my wallet, I should be there this year.
I am hoping to be home in time to go.

I've made a promise to a few friends on and off this board that i'd try my damnest to be there. I cannot let them down.

Lucian "The Bringer" Barasu
Fellaren Krae Project Co-Ordinator

"Why do you cry?"
"He is Conan, Cimmerian. He won't cry... So I cry for him."
Go to Top of Page

Christopher_Rowe
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
879 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:35:38  Show Profile  Visit Christopher_Rowe's Homepage Send Christopher_Rowe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this going to be something we'll need to sign up for through the GenCon site? Or buy a ticket for or whatever?

My Realms novel, Sandstorm, is now available for ordering.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:42:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LucianBarasu

I've made a promise to a few friends on and off this board that i'd try my damnest to be there. I cannot let them down.

Better not, ya big lug.

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher_Rowe

Is this going to be something we'll need to sign up for through the GenCon site? Or buy a ticket for or whatever?

From my own experience putting pick-up games together and whatnot (and because it's past deadline for events to be submitted), it's most likely that this will be an informal/no tickets thing--the trick is getting everyone together and finding a place to play.

(Which is not to imply that I'm in charge! Just here to help.)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  20:49:08  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

(Which is not to imply that I'm in charge! Just here to help.)

Cheers

All in favor of Erik's nominating himself to be in charge say 'Aye'!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  21:30:33  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This will be a non-ticketed event. We just link up, find a place to play and have at it!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2009 :  21:37:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

All in favor of Erik's nominating himself to be in charge say 'Aye'!

Eep! [hides behind Matt]

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2009 :  18:35:41  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Chugging along with the adventure module. It would actually be a great place to start a new Realms player on as well considering CK is probably the best place to begin :)

As I said, this will be a level 1 module to keep things simple and to the point. As well, long-time Realms fans will appreciate going through it. If it turns out to be well received, I will do follow-up adventures that will play off of the same storyline.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  03:50:28  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm, I am leaning towards pre-gen characters and bumping this adventure to level 5. These projects can snowball quickly :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000