Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Canvassing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  10:33:47  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Oh dear, people who know and like the Realms at the EN World boards seem to be on holiday at the moment.

A few of those here with first-hand knowledge of Realms designing and publishing might just like to chime in.

arry
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
317 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  11:36:44  Show Profile Send arry a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On holiday? Perhaps. Keeping their heads down is another possibility. I lurk at ENworld, I don't care to post there.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  12:02:01  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I confess to feeling a little Don Quixotic about it.

When I were a little'un, keeping our head down was the only holiday we got, except the time when we went down t'pit and had to eat cockney salad.
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  12:14:10  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I don't like about EN World is the active Realms-hate, including a lot of little snide comments. So I kind of treat a lot of FR threads there like edition wars threads --- if they're looking bad, I just don't read them. If any are really vitriolic, I suppose we could start reporting posts, but I don't know that it would help.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  13:41:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I honestly don't go to EN World very much because of all this stuff. Most of the threads I look at to find some information seem to be 75% vitriol about one of the posters or something.

Ironically, the Wizards boards are getting the same way. Even when a thread is comprised of opinions I agree with, I dislike how those opinions are posted. That and the fact that I saw a thread over there where the author was looking for a way to charge while prone.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  13:53:50  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also lurk at Enworld (I think I have less then ten posts there). I love the Realms, and ATM I'm not playing (so 'edition' doesn't enter the equation), so I'm perfectly happy just making CK my main 'digs'.

I used to be VERY active over at WotC, but much like everything else owned by Hasbro lately, its lost it's luster for me. Even the lore debates I used to enjoy so much have become all muddled, because different folks have different concepts of 'now' in the Realms.

Its easier just to stay here and wheather out the storm.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Jun 2009 13:54:15
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  14:06:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

That and the fact that I saw a thread over there where the author was looking for a way to charge while prone.

My response would have been two words: "Get up."

Were there any reasonable solutions to that one?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  14:07:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Even the lore debates I used to enjoy so much have become all muddled, because different folks have different concepts of 'now' in the Realms.

There's a now other than 1370-1375?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  14:09:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

That and the fact that I saw a thread over there where the author was looking for a way to charge while prone.

My response would have been two words: "Get up."

Were there any reasonable solutions to that one?

No. There were tons of arguments that being prone did not stop your movement, that you could move while prone (crawling), etc., etc., etc.

I told my friend about the thread and she answered one of the questions pretty aptly:

quote:
"...where does it say that being knocked prone ends movement?..."

...2nd grade, on the playground.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  14:12:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by freyar

The one thing I don't like about EN World is the active Realms-hate, including a lot of little snide comments. So I kind of treat a lot of FR threads there like edition wars threads --- if they're looking bad, I just don't read them. If any are really vitriolic, I suppose we could start reporting posts, but I don't know that it would help.

I've not been over there myself -- I prefer to stick to fewer forums. I'm only active on two forums (fora?), and the other one isn't nearly as active as this one usually is. I'm willing to get active on the Paizo forums, but I don't like their layout.

Anyway, just about every bit of commentary I've seen about the EN World forums is that its a place for those who love Greyhawk and/or hate the Realms. I've got better things to do with my time other than argue with people who will never agree.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  17:31:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Even the lore debates I used to enjoy so much have become all muddled, because different folks have different concepts of 'now' in the Realms.

Not to stir the pot, but I'm having a ton of fun with a 1479 now right now. It's all good.
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  20:39:14  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been reading the thread the OP is likely refering to...

FR has been around long enough, that if those individuals have that opinion of the setting, then there is going to be no changing their minds. Part of their problem with the FR setting (ie players expecting canon to override the GM's creative license), is their inability to communicate with their players in person..... how can communicating with them over a forum prove to be effective.

I enjoy being able to play characters that LIVE in a setting, rather than a character that rides along the story train the GM is cooking up.

Sue me if I like to know that when I run across a Zhent, I'm suppose to be weary, cause it's fairly common knowledge that they are a horrible lot.

Now kill me (seriously kick me the hell out of the game! ROFL) if a GM finds me bitching about whether a secret door exists in some dark alley, as my character is unable to find it. That isn't a sign of a campaign setting with to much detail, but an example of a moron player that is unable to seperate player knowledge from character knowledge. Actually that's the worse example of this problem, I've ever read.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 30 Jun 2009 21:13:57
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  21:19:15  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The EN World boards are pretty much dead to Realms experts. I seem to recall discussing the Elminster = Mary Sue thing a year or so back, and refuting every single point made. No surprise whatsoever that it's come back up.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2009 :  22:18:38  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd go out and end divisive tribalism, but I have to stay in and mind the gas.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  01:05:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

The EN World boards are pretty much dead to Realms experts. I seem to recall discussing the Elminster = Mary Sue thing a year or so back, and refuting every single point made. No surprise whatsoever that it's come back up.
Aye. These arguments never cease to amaze me. Even when confronted with direct posts from Ed that clearly demonstrate the inaccuracy of their assumptions, they still cling to them with intense ferocity. It's almost frightening.

It's part of the reason why I abandoned the EN World boards over 4 years ago, now.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Swordsage
Learned Scribe

149 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  01:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Swordsage's Homepage Send Swordsage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading the thread, all I can say is that the Realms Fans won.

The other comment that caught my eye was the "burden of lore" bit that stifled designer creativity. I don't understand why continuity is something that is a non-negotiable in places like the world of Star Wars or Star Trek but is a problem with the Realms. That's the nature of shared worlds. If you can't cope with that fundamental fact, you're either not as good a writer/designer as you think you are, are too arrogant to ask for help if its needed and/or are too arrogant to accept that your own creative process has to be tempered and shaped by the world you are writing in. It seems the biggest "burden" going round in the Realms and clearly shaped the decision to shift to 4E was that of some of the designers' and writers' egos.

The Swordsage

Edited by - Swordsage on 01 Jul 2009 01:37:37
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  03:26:23  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I don't disagree with your main point, this may be a bad summer to cite Star Trek as an example.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  04:07:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the Legacy books for Star Wars and such, you might be hard pressed to include it as well...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Nightseer
Acolyte

45 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2009 :  05:53:14  Show Profile Send Nightseer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

1357-1369!

Shar!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2009 :  20:48:44  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I popped into at least one of the threads in question at EN World recently, and I have to say, I was shocked at the personal attacks on Ed that showed up in that thread. I was moved to post, if only to defend Ed from people that apparently have no common decency when it comes to besmirching a man's character.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  11:40:27  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its been a while since I checked in on those boards and after reading a few of the posts I remember why. I don't have the temper or the patience for those kinds of discussions.

If terms like Mary-Sue, Grognards, Munchkin (unless Oz of course) starts popping up I might as well be somewhere else.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000