Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Religon and Languages
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  03:07:46  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
greetings fellow scribes,

I come seeking lore on Languages in religions. I am wondering if there is any language that religions of the Fearunian pantheon would normally speak in. Or is it just the language that is used in the local area?

I am wondering, since I know that Latin is sometimes used by the roman Catholic church and I was wondering if anything similar was for certain religions.

Thanks for the help

~herkles~

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  13:30:45  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never heard of anything like a religious language, aside from celestrial and demonic languages.

Moreover, in the case of latin being widely used in catholic church this comes from the fact that when this religion developed latin was the predominant laguage for any writings per se. So the major religious book - the bible - was only available in latin.

Given that, I could imagine that some faiths in the Realms with major centers of worship use fraises in certain ceremonies that are based on the language that is used in that place major center of worship, as the development and guidelines may come from that part of the Realms.

However, most religions in the Realms are not that centralized and well organized as is the catholic church with the Holy Seat at the Vatican.

Just a thought....

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 11 Jul 2009 13:34:07
Go to Top of Page

Herkles
Seeker

82 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  13:52:47  Show Profile  Visit Herkles's Homepage Send Herkles a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I know that. However I suppose what I am looking for are ancient languages that would be used similar to Latin. Since I am hoping to create a feel of an ancient language that is mostly used by the clergy alongside the common language of the area.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  15:18:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The only examples that immediately come to mind at the moment, are those used by the faithful of both Savras and Gargauth in Bloodwalk.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  15:30:06  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Druidic used to be part of D&D, but I don't think it made it as far as 3e (and certainly not 4e). That would be the only one I could think of off-hand, and it's kinda cool in that it is religion-specific, but not god-specific.

I would assume followers of Mask use Thieves Cant quite a bit, but I have no idea if religous ceremonies would be held in it.

And, of course, Drow is spoken by worshippers of the anti-Seldarine, but I'm not sure that counts, and I'm not sure if that made it as far as 3rd edition either (IIRC, Drow speak a distinctive dialect of Elvish in 3e, rather then their own tongue). There is a Drow 'High Tongue' (can't think of the name ATM, or even if it has one) that is used specifically by Drow Priestesses of Lolth.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 11 Jul 2009 15:30:33
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  21:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Really? I thought Druidic did make it to 3e.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  21:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyhow... I'd say use planar tongues as appropriate to the diety. Celestial for good gods, one of the two fiendish languages for gods, elemental where appropriate (Aquan for Istishia, Ignan for Kossuth, etc) and so on.

The thing about religion in the Realms is that the religions aren't based on archaic, ancient texts that each successive generation of faithful must learn the language of to become enlightened. The gods are alive and communicate regularly with their faithful... thus, new information is recorded in current languages.

Ancient languages are still a good idea for old texts that the faithful might have to go back to and research, but the modern faiths shouldn't be rooted in the oldest of old texts... unless it is a newly reawakened faith, in which case I suggest whatever regional language is appropriate for the time and place where the religion was last prominent.

Some people are like a slinky... not good for much, but when you push them down the stairs, it makes you smile.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2009 :  22:37:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I wasn't quite sure about Druidic...

I know a lot of languages got nerfed in 3e, like Drow and the alignment-specific ones (which was probably a good idea), but I wasn't certain about Druidic.

I have no idea what, if any, were lost in 4e, but going by everything else, I would assume that languages took a hit as well. If there were any religion-specific languages before, I'm sure they are gone now.

Still, its your game, and you can do whatever you want.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  01:20:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed likely has notes on Druidic, so it's probably worth checking with him.

As for what little what was included on the language in the 2e Complete Druid's Handbook though, as well as the one or two [very brief] tidbits in the 1e/2e FR boxed sets, Druidic has never received much attention in the source material.

Tom Costa also had a little to say on Druidic too, in his "Speaking in Tongues" article from DRAGON Magazine Annual 4.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  01:54:20  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe there's very little to say about it because its supposed to be a secret language.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2009 :  12:00:26  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It could be possibble that some of the stuffier religions might use Old Thorass as a ceremonial language.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Nerfed2Hell
Senior Scribe

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  00:13:45  Show Profile  Visit Nerfed2Hell's Homepage Send Nerfed2Hell a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Thorass was a trader's language. Seems inappropriate for a religious thing... except maybe for a diety involved with trade, such as maybe Waukeen.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2009 :  00:52:20  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For what its worth, I'm thinking Celestial works (for the good side of things). Its even an available language for 3.5 clerics beyond those available for race.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000