Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gencon 2009?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  00:26:57  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heck, I go just for the dice dealers themselves!

All those colored stones, tub upon tub filled with random goodness... *drool*

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

ranger_of_the_unicorn_run
Learned Scribe

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 29 Dec 2008 :  21:29:18  Show Profile Send ranger_of_the_unicorn_run a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

Heck, I go just for the dice dealers themselves!

All those colored stones, tub upon tub filled with random goodness... *drool*

Hear hear! I think I'm becoming a compulsive dice collector, along with my compulsive book collecting mania...
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  02:26:12  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/14028.html

Revised Offer for Gen Con
Ups the Ante
Published: 01/06/2009 12:54am

A new offer from the mysterious Gen Con Acquisition Group (now a Delaware LLC) for the assets of Gen Con LLC has been filed with the bankruptcy court handling Gen Con’s Chapter 11 bankruptcy, along with objections to Gen Con’s Amended Plan of Reorganization from the GAG and Lucasfilm. GAG has also become a creditor of Gen Con through the acquisition of the $31,000 claim of LGC Associates, a search firm.

The offer, which expires this Friday, offers to fund the entire balances due Gen Con’s creditors (some $3.8+ million) with new funds from outside Gen Con, with $1.4 million guaranteed by closing in the form of a $900,000 escrow amount and a $500,000 letter of credit.

There is no financing contingency; according to the offer, GAG “has secured funding for the acquisition.”

The guaranteed portion is an increase over the previous offer (see “Eleventh Hour Offer for Gen Con”). GAG also added a provision which allows creditors to cash out immediately for a 70% payout, rather than waiting for the remainder of the scheduled payments. The schedule provides for payment over about four years, with initial payments of around 23% of the balances and bi-annual payments following.

Gen Con’s Plan also provides for bi-annual payments to creditors, but both the upfront and scheduled payments are smaller than GAG’s, and would be funded from internally generated cash flow.

Gen Con CEO Adrian Swartout explicitly rejected GAG’s previous offer (see “Gen Con’s Adrian Swartout on New Offer”). Former GAMA Executive Director Anthony Gallela revealed that he is involved in GAG, and that the company is interested in retaining Swartout if their offer is successful (see “Gallela Ungagged”). The GAG’s offer also contemplates keeping other Gen Con employees.

One other significant difference between the two plans is that Gen Con Acquisition Group is not contesting a portion of the Lucasfilm claim; Gen Con is.

That’s one reason listed in Lucasfilm’s filed objection to Gen Con’s Plan. Among other reasons, both Lucasfilm’s and GAG’s objections note that Gen Con’s financial projections do not show the company generating sufficient cash to meet the proposed payment schedule to creditors. And GAG’s objection makes much of the relationship between Gen Con and Hidden City Games and Off the Grid, arguing that large transactions prior to the filing of the bankruptcy could be the subject of claims (insider transactions within a year prior to a bankruptcy receive special scrutiny), and that Gen Con was relinquishing the rights to those claims for insufficient consideration (subordination of its debt to Hidden City Games to other bankruptcy claims).

A hearing is scheduled for Friday to consider the Plan of Reorganization.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2009 :  20:56:49  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, well I hope to go to Gen Con .

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2009 :  01:27:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh. This just gets better and better. :(

But here's Peter's response to what happened lately:

http://www.livingdice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/adkison_response.pdf

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  01:05:14  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Sigh. This just gets better and better. :(

But here's Peter's response to what happened lately:

http://www.livingdice.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/adkison_response.pdf

That's a US legal document? Scylla and Charybdis? Geez, Louise. If I drafted something like that, I'd be laughed out of practice. It reads more like a press release than a legal document dealing with the facts.

BTW, met Peter Adkinson at GEN-CON 2007. Seemed like a nice guy. Didn't quite get the 'gaming mogul' vibe from him, but that might just have been me. I DID get that from Ed after having to travel the convention floor with him, our progress stopped every couple of feet or so for him to chat, pose, mug for the cameras and do his thing. A delight to observe firsthand.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  01:11:52  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ed was the most surprising personality I met at the Con. He is a delight to be around and even makes my wife blush, lol
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2009 :  03:32:22  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And some good news:

http://community.gencon.com/blogs/press_releases/archive/2009/01/09/gen-con-scheduled-to-emerge-from-chapter-11.aspx

Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2009 :  01:19:00  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, very good news indeed!
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2009 :  18:06:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mr. Adkison has an inflated sense of self, I see.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 15 Jan 2009 18:07:09
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2009 :  20:33:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a 4e fan here, but would be glad to join in a game of scribes, no matter the setting/rules.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Matt James

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  04:18:44  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yep, just a good place to get together and nerd-out over Realms lore :D
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  21:22:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Badge registration opens tomorrow, sunday. Housing opens on Tuesday.

Edited by - Kuje on 14 Feb 2009 21:23:07
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2009 :  23:08:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm starting to think I might go... mainly because of this:

Big link to Paizo thread

Now, here is my route if I end up going:

Incredibly huge link to Google Maps

Any of you along the way, if it turns out that I'm going, would like to be picked up / share gasoline costs?

Mod edit: Cast shrink links. Seriously, those links were really stretching the page!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 15 Feb 2009 16:46:28
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  15:35:22  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Indeed, to just not go because of 4e is a little, least to me, retarded. Wotc is only one booth out of hundreds and there's so much more to do at the con even if you aren't interested in 4e. Shrug.

Well that's other people's preference but my preference is really only D&D, and currently, Star Wars Saga. I could care less about everything else (though meeting Ed Greenwood would be cool).
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  19:01:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Well that's other people's preference but my preference is really only D&D, and currently, Star Wars Saga. I could care less about everything else (though meeting Ed Greenwood would be cool).

Just wanted to add my two cents and say that meeting Ed Greenwood is ALWAYS cool. GenCon is well worth it JUST to meet people you wouldn't ordinarily get to see.

And on that note, I purchased my badge today, so I'm pretty sure I'll be there. Don't forget to purchase those badges, folks!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  19:03:19  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I want to go, but as of right now, I have no set plans.

If I wind-up there, it's probably going to be a last-minute, just 'hop in the car and go' sort of thing.

And then dazzle some peeps with my entertaining personality for some crash space.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  21:21:20  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can dazzle me all you want if you pay for half of the room...

...dazzling* is in no way synonym to anything remotely sexual or weird, ok? let's get that clear....

*here dazzling could mean "to impress with one's knowledge of D&D or one's anger towards WotC"... there.... clarifying never hurts...
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  21:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i have lost faith in gencon in the uk, the market here is just not great for rpgs. tcg just rule around here.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  22:26:23  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Portella, there are still some good Conventions in the UK, though I don't think there will be a GenCon UK this year. I recently attended a convention down south (Conception) that was really good, and there is talk of holding a PaizoCon UK sometime around June/July. I've been thinking of doing a FR game for PaizoCon too.

But all that is for the UK scene, while this thread is for the US Gencon.
Go to Top of Page

Portella
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
247 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2009 :  22:56:26  Show Profile  Visit Portella's Homepage Send Portella a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah.. I dont know it has been so long since i played, i have had really bad luck all the game stores and places i have seen were tcg .... even in reading the store there runs a load of tcg events massive focus on that which for business is great ... but leaves me wanting. tomorrow i hoping to go there and check the group that play rpg on monday evenings. I hoping it will be a group of adults. PaizoCon where ever it is will be interesting and definitely something i like to take part on.

Purple you say?!

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  01:51:20  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I got my badge as well, so I'll be seeing you there!

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2009 :  11:58:24  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Portella, there are still some good Conventions in the UK, though I don't think there will be a GenCon UK this year. I recently attended a convention down south (Conception) that was really good,

*waves* I used to be, years ago, one of the organisers of Conception.
Go to Top of Page

darkcrow
Learned Scribe

USA
269 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  00:09:18  Show Profile  Visit darkcrow's Homepage Send darkcrow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always say "I'm going this year", but I never do Well this year I mean it. "I'm going this year" No, really. I mean it this time. But I don't know if I can do the 4 day thing though. Sat. and Sun. seems more realistic for me. I'm mostly going to meet all my favorite FR authors and I mean all of them are my favorite. I hope I can get a bunch of my books autographed.

May Tymora smile upon ye
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2009 :  03:35:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a note for anyone who hasn't purchased airline tickets yet, like me, the TSA has added two new rules for purchase. You now have to supply your birthday and gender.

Linkie!

Edit: Could wooly or sage trim that link? :)

Mod edit: No.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Mar 2009 03:42:38
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  19:42:28  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So... Got my badge and events ordered. The hotel is reserved. Now it's just a waiting game...

I also thought of a nifty way to identify myself to others. I put 'Ashe Ravenheart' on the Company Name of my badge so any other scribes will be able to know me without asking.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  23:20:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We really should start discussing if we're going to have a meeting outside the center again like last year. It seemed to work out a lot better, in my opinion.

And I need to purchase those plane tickets but with this flu outbreak, I've been holding off.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  01:11:32  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm signed up for another fun year at Gen Con!

I highly recommend attending on Friday if you can, since that day holds the official Forgotten Realms seminars, including "Spin a yarn with Ed Greenwood"

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  01:18:46  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alas, the 'Spin a Yarn' this year is overlapping with 'Dungeon Design with Monte Cook' as well. I'm *still* not sure which one I'm going to spend more time at...

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  01:48:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

I'm signed up for another fun year at Gen Con!

I highly recommend attending on Friday if you can, since that day holds the official Forgotten Realms seminars, including "Spin a yarn with Ed Greenwood"

Oh wow, they moved them to Friday? Wow.....

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000