Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Gencon 2009?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  04:05:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

When I attended my first (and only) comic con, I wasn't sure I was at the right place... Until three guys dressed like Sailor Moon came walking out. Then I knew I was at the right place.

I am both a D&D nerd and an anime otaku, but I don't fit the stereotype for either, thank Lurue. I am familiar with both soap and real girls, I'm not a Japanophile, furries scare me, and real-world folks have to be around me for a while before they find out I'm into D&D and anime.

I do show off my geekiness, though, by always replying to "I have a question..." with "42!", saying "What the duece!", and frequently invoking Bob.

-Hmm...Obviously, this is somewhat old, and I don't know why I didn't reply at the time, but...

-Stereotype, or non-stereotype, for whatever reason, people who share my same interests, with varying levels of intensity, agitate me. It probably stems from some deep rooted psychological thing, with equating people as being unknowledgeable, or undeserving, or something to that effect. I'm a weird person. Very abrasive, unless you get to know me.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  04:06:40  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I decided to stick this news in the new thread instead of the old thread. But Gencon's assets are for sale, supposedly.

http://www.livingdice.com/783/gen-con-for-sale-and-a-purchase-offer-is-pending/

The link didn't work the first time I went to it but it did now.

-That they actually filed bankruptcy isn't anything surprising, correct? I seem to recall rumblings earlier in the year, concerning their financial position, and being sued by Lucasart, and much of what was discussed in the article.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  04:49:40  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Scrolls shared, Scribes:

I am very interested in meeting my fellow scribes. So has there been a
meeting day, time, and place determined?
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 25 Nov 2008 :  04:52:42  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately, with the Gen Con brand itself still up in the air, I'm hoping that not much will change next year, but there is a huge looming question mark over the whole thing right now.
Go to Top of Page

StarBog
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  11:25:42  Show Profile  Visit StarBog's Homepage Send StarBog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

You know what might help me make up my mind... If a bunch of us Candlekeepers got together and played some RPGA event together! Then I'll sneak our heroic exploits into Realms canon for all to admire!

I've been trying to do exactly that with LFR.
Go to Top of Page

danbuter
Seeker

USA
74 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  13:28:30  Show Profile  Visit danbuter's Homepage Send danbuter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to go, but I think I'm already past the date where it's required to stop bathing before GenCon. ;)

Nothing beats the gray box!
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 26 Nov 2008 :  17:51:03  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I am going to try this year, if not then next year. If there is a next year.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 26 Nov 2008 17:52:02
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2008 :  18:18:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://community.gencon.com/forums/t/18867.aspx

Public Response to LOI

SEATTLE (November 26, 2008) Many of you have heard speculation about a pending Gen Con sale and I’d like to take this opportunity to address the situation.

On the eve of our deadline to file our final reorganization plan and disclosure statement, Gen Con counsel received an unsolicited “Letter of Intent” from Gen Con Acquisition Group for purchase of all the assets of Gen Con. We believe this offer was clearly timed to disrupt our ability to get a plan confirmed and is an attempt at a hostile takeover with the intention of ousting Peter Adkison as the owner.

The offer was suspiciously cryptic, with no letter of introduction, good will, or summary of intentions for forward management and opportunities for current staff. Given the date of submission, the lack of prior outreach from this group, and the overt omission of intentions regarding management of business operations, it was difficult to take this offer seriously. It’s from an anonymous group that clearly does not understand the value Peter brings to Gen Con. Any acquisition offer that relies on future profits of the business to service the outstanding debt that does not have a provision for Peter’s continued involvement is not a sound offer.

Challenges with considering the offer aside, I have a responsibility to our creditors to consider any alternatives to reorganization. As such I have diligently reviewed the offer in conjunction with our creditor committee and we have determined it is a high risk proposition with far too many negative implications and is not in the best interest of our creditors. It is our intent to disregard this offer and continue toward confirmation of a plan substantially similar to the offer filed with the Court.

Our goal this last year has been to stabilize our operations and establish that Gen Con Indy could be operated profitably. As such we had our first profitable year since 2005 and are confident in our ability to fund our reorganization plan. Throughout this process we’ve cooperated and worked closely with our creditor committee – we believe they support our plan. We’re expecting our creditors will vote to accept the plan and are currently scheduled to reemerge from Chapter 11 in early January.

The last few months have been very busy here in the office and the plans for Gen Con Indy 2009 couldn’t be shaping up any better. I have the distinct pleasure of leading a small team of dedicated and passionate individuals who live, breath, eat and sleep Gen Con. In any organization there is always room for improvement, but it is truly a labor of love for all of us here and an incredible honor for me to be the steward for an event that is as unique and special as Gen Con is. It’s more than a business – it’s more than a convention – it’s an experience that touches each of us in a deeply personal manner and brings us together as a community.

We’re excited to bring you the Best Four Days of Gaming! for years to come and we thank you for your support and faith in us.

Adrian Swartout
President
Gen Con LLC

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36784 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  01:56:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've not been following this all that much... Peter Adkinson, is he a WotC guy, or strictly Gen Con, or what?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Nov 2008 :  02:23:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This pretty much explains Adkison's relationship with both.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Nov 2008 02:25:11
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  02:20:07  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/13844.html

Anthony Gallela, former (and current acting) Executive Director of GAMA, will lead the company formed to run Gen Con if the efforts of the Gen Con Acquisition Group are successful, he told ICv2 on Tuesday. “The investors are all outside the industry, very well funded, and can support the offer, and support Gen Con’s growth and development and continuation,” Gallela said. Gallela is also currently the VP-Sales and Marketing of Bucephalus Games (see “Gallela Leaving GAMA Executive Director Post”).

The offer from the Gen Con Acquisition Group came in on the eve of the filing of Gen Con’s final plan for emergence from bankruptcy (see “Eleventh Hour Offer for Gen Con”), and was subsequently rejected by Gen Con (see “Gen Con’s Adrian Swartout on New Offer”).

We asked Gallela why he thought the GAG’s offer was superior to Gen Con’s plan for emerging from bankruptcy. “The success and strength of Gen Con is very important to me, and to the rest of the industry, and to the fans,” he said. “So for me, the best thing for Gen Con is to have solid fiscal backing and the experience at the top of organization that can ensure that it continues in the best possible way.”

Gallela said that the GAG group would invest over a million dollars “to satisfy the debt and invest in the future.” Gen Con’s creditors would be paid faster under the GAG’s plan than they would under Gen Con’s plan.

And he reached out to current Gen Con management, saying of Gen Con President Adrian Swartout, “Adrian has done yeoman’s work with Gen Con, and if things can be worked out we would want her to continue on,” he said.

Asked about the role of current Gen Con owner Peter Adkison, Gallela stressed his respect for Adkison and his appreciation for his success in other areas. But when it came to Gen Con, Gallela felt the show could do better. “Peter is an innovator and has been a longtime friend of mine,” Gallela said. “That doesn’t mean that he’s as good as Adrian or me at running a convention for game enthusiasts…. I think Peter is right for Hidden City Games, but I don’t think he’s right for Gen Con. I would have to assume he feels the same since he hasn’t been involved with running the show for two years.”

We asked Gallela what changes he would make in the way Gen Con operates. He noted the potential for expense reductions and expansion of positive aspects of the show, without more specifics. “For the fans, I don’t see substantial changes other than that the things that annoy them would be improved and the things they like would be more plentiful,” he said. Indianapolis would continue to be the show’s venue.

Gallela said that he knew of support for and interest in the GAG’s offer among the creditors, although he said he hadn’t “taken a straw poll.” “We have spoken to a number of the creditors, and our counsel has been talking to some of the creditors’ counsels,” he said.

We asked whether GAMA’s board was aware of his involvement in the acquisition group, and he indicated that it was, and that his efforts began as GAMA declined to make an offer. “GAMA did look at Gen Con because of its concern over the potential demise of one of the most important events in our industry,” he said. “GAMA did not want Gen Con to go away. But GAMA decided not to be involved in a hostile takeover, and that Gen Con would continue on whether run by Gen Con or an investment group.”

Gallela’s role as ED of GAMA was what led to the first conversations with Gen Con’s Swartout. “I did talk to Adrian some time ago in my capacity as GAMA ED and did bring up a lot of the concerns of GAMA and different industry pundits and members,” he said. “I had a talk with her about our plans and Gen Con’s plans. I also let her know there was the possibility of another offer. I also had a few meetings with Peter, keeping him appraised on the issues around the bankruptcy, and I let him know there was going to be another offer.”

The investment group is not open to keeping Adkison in as an equity owner, although Adkison “would gain the paybacks given to Hidden City that have been paid already,” Gallela said.

“We plan to work with Gen Con, and work with Adrian, and work with Peter to do the best thing for all involved.”

The next step appears to be a reconsideration of the Gen Con Acquisition Group offer by Gen Con’s management, acting as debtor-in-possession. The creditors committee and the judge could also weigh in. Developing.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  02:32:41  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I so wish I could go. I'd love to meet some of you guys and actually participate in a big CON. I have yet to make it to a single one. With budget cuts across the state this year - 4% across the board - I don't think MY budget will handle it .
Go to Top of Page

Lady Fellshot
Senior Scribe

USA
379 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  06:56:53  Show Profile  Visit Lady Fellshot's Homepage Send Lady Fellshot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would like to go, if only to get a few books signed

Rants and reviews that interest no one may be found here.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  14:02:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, registration doesn't open til February 2nd. So there's plenty of time to save up your Christmas money, cut back on non-essentials and plan out a trip. Remember, trains are less expensive than airplanes (though they *do* take a lot longer).

Hope to see everyone there!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  14:51:02  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lord willing, I'll be there in '09. Can you bring your animal companion?

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2008 :  15:11:19  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang, I'm gonna make a real go of it this year. Last year I'd have liked too but I had way too much on my plate (marriage, honeymoon, various other festivals I go to, etc). I'm sure I'll still have plenty on my plate (I like festivals, a lot *g*) but I think I should be able to swing this, especially if I try and make it into a trip to see some family as well.

I guess it's time to do a little research.
Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2008 :  14:33:36  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brian, I will run RPGA FR sessions it means that much to you. I had fun this past year running around with you and maybe this year we can escape the immortal grasp of our spousal units? :D

To keep things simple and easy, I would probably just ask that everyone roll L1 characters. I am not sure how much time people will have to build up anything significantly higher and I believe the RPGA only has Living FR modules up to L7 anyways.

Regardless, I am willing to run LFR modules for the fine people of Candlekeep, we can even make it an exclusive event if desired :)

Edited by - Matt James on 09 Dec 2008 14:34:53
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  18:58:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, the badge info has been released:

http://www.gencon.com/2009/indy/attendees/registration.aspx

Yeah, they raised the badge price by three dollars, which isn't that bad actually.

Go to Top of Page

Ionik Knight
Learned Scribe

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  20:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Ionik Knight's Homepage Send Ionik Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been to GenCon, how does it compare with DragonCon?

Fools to right of them,
Jesters to left of them,
Clowns in front of them
Pun'd and parody'd.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2008 :  21:26:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not sure, I've never been to Dragoncon. :)

quote:
Originally posted by Ionik Knight

I've never been to GenCon, how does it compare with DragonCon?

Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  02:37:24  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never been to DragonCon, but I did compare the two last year. DragonCon seemed to have a lot more special guests and bigger names for special guests. Although the lack of 'guests' at GenCon could be attributed to their financial woes.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  02:59:10  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Isn't the main feature the getting together with other "fellow" enthusiasts, anyway? I mean, I've never gone to any of these things, but I always saw the coolest part as being able to meet other people, not sitting in on a seminar where [Insert Person] goes on and on about how great [Insert Thing] is.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  03:18:13  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both conventions have a lot of gaming going on. Whereas GenCon focuses on gaming in particular, DragonCon is more general in it being a convention for Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  03:39:51  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well, regardless of specific genre, with the meeting people, I mean...

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 18 Dec 2008 03:41:30
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2008 :  04:06:36  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True, but it does define the type of people you will meet at the convention.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Matt James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
918 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  01:25:23  Show Profile Send Matt James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, regardless of a cool CK meetup, I will be at Gencon this year again with my Wife. I am trying to get my brother (BRJ) to go again too ;)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  03:21:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-What's your middle name? Or, more importantly, your middle initial?

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 27 Dec 2008 03:21:27
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  18:03:53  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, my wife and friend always wanted to come to GenCon, but thanks to the release of 4E we now have no reason to. We wholly supported 3E but refuse to acknowledge WotC anymore after what they did to the game. If we went, I'd most likely gather people for a 4E boycott by their booths with picket signs and such and probably would get kicked out for practicing my freedom of speech rights, heh.

So, yeah, no GenCon for me. I wish I had gone before 4E because I've never been there.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2008 :  23:57:40  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahhh... But I'm sure there will be a lot of Pathfinder games at the Con.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2008 :  00:16:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed, to just not go because of 4e is a little, least to me, retarded. Wotc is only one booth out of hundreds and there's so much more to do at the con even if you aren't interested in 4e. Shrug.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000