Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Banned!!!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:00:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Yeah, their Search Function does work now, but its still not all that great (but at least they have one now - they didn't for the longest time).

I find its MUCH better to Google your question and just put in "Wizards of the Coast" - it finds stuff on their site WAY better, and faster, then their own Search function does.

...Urrrmmm... did I just hijack my own thread?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:03:20  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Congratulations Markus! Welcome to the club! (I got banned from the REALMS-LIST in 2000)
You got banned from the Realms-L list?

I assumed bannings never orrured there, given the amount of crazyness that list's moderators let go without challenge all the time.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:29:32  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I find its MUCH better to Google your question and just put in "Wizards of the Coast" - it finds stuff on their site WAY better, and faster, then their own Search function does.

There is much better way: use the site-operator with your Google search; for example type into the Google search field:

Markustay site:forums.gleemax.com

or

Markustay map site:forum.candlekeep.com

and, voila, there you go.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads

Edited by - Ayunken-vanzan on 23 Aug 2008 19:30:18
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:32:14  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I always wondered how to do that.

My way works, but you get entries from everywhere else mixed in as well.

Thanks for that --- Mark

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message
It is indeed a better search function than the one we have here in these halls. (Google shadow weave site:forum.candlekeep.com and try a search "shadow weave" here and compare the results. )

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  19:50:05  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message
Cool.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2008 :  22:20:25  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

I assumed bannings never orrured there, given the amount of crazyness that list's moderators let go without challenge all the time.
And I would assume you know this because you make a point of telling on anyone who breaks the rules, no?

Edited by - Markustay on 23 Aug 2008 23:50:21
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  03:06:14  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message
Aye, when it suits my grand, self-serving schemes.

Though that would never help on the Realms-L list.

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  03:19:50  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

And I would assume you know this because you make a point of telling on anyone who breaks the rules, no?

Zing!!!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  04:38:37  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
-It was really boring today without Markus around on those forums.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  04:59:22  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well, I've been 'punished'.

Went back there today after the ban was lifted, and someone started in immediately... you know... its a lot more peaceful around here.

The negativity on that site is infectious. I think I will like FR a lot more if I just avoid the place for awhile.

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Aug 2008 05:00:21
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  05:06:33  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
Which is why I fled. :) Well, that and because I kept getting bitched at. My stress levels rise constantly even when I think about lurking over there.

Nice and peaceful, usually, over here.

quote:

Went back there today after the ban was lifted, and someone started in immediately... you know... its a lot more peaceful around here.

The negativity on that site is infectious. I think I will like FR a lot more if I just avoid the place for awhile.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3287 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  05:07:33  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message
quote:

Well, I've been 'punished'.

-I put 8 people on my ignore list and life is great now. It gets old seeing the same posters thread crap in every thread or hold certain threads hostage. But it is what it is so...LK resurrected that old Chris Perkins gloating about the Map thread I started over there a couple of months back. I think he is trying to bait you!

-

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 24 Aug 2008 05:12:02
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  07:21:17  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Which is why I fled. :) Well, that and because I kept getting bitched at. My stress levels rise constantly even when I think about lurking over there.

One of the nice things about Candlekeep is that it is much more civilised than most on-line forums. Is it the benign influence of the moderators? Or is it a side effect of a large proportion of us actually reading books?

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  14:34:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

One of the nice things about Candlekeep is that it is much more civilised than most on-line forums. Is it the benign influence of the moderators? Or is it a side effect of a large proportion of us actually reading books?

As much as I'd like to claim the former, it was still a more civilized place when Big Al was the only mod.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  17:03:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

But it is what it is so...LK resurrected that old Chris Perkins gloating about the Map thread I started over there a couple of months back. I think he is trying to bait you!
BRIMSTONE
Exactly!

For someone that professes to be my friend, he starts with me about EVERYTHING, and it's tiresome. The fact that he is the forum lead over there just maks it worse - a person should lead by example.

I suppose there can be only one 'King Fish' in any sandbox, and my post count was rapidly closing on his.

I was avoiding this place for a little while, because I made a couple of comments that were extremely rude, even for me, and didn't want to bring this place down to the level that WotC forums have achieved. Now I realize it was those same boards that were giving me that negative attitude, so if I spend most of my time here, I will be a 'better' poster for it.

Did I just hear the Mods here say "oh sh......".

Anyhow, its a damn shame, because I was really enjoying the projects I was working on over there, and a lot of the people had some great ideas. Its sad, because it is the posters that are crying the loudest that they are "true fans" that are ruining FR for everyone.

Thus, proving the very point that designers were trying to make, and FR players had developed an 'elitist' attitude. When you spend more time arguing about the color of Elminster's bloomers in 781 DR then you do playing and enjoying the setting, something is seriously wrong.

Maybe I'm just get old, but I'm tired of all the fighting.

Cheers --- Mark

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  17:09:00  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

quote:

As much as I'd like to claim the former, it was still a more civilized place when Big Al was the only mod.

Indeed it was. I think it has to be more then just the mods influence. What it is, I don't know. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  17:13:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
The community itself, perhaps. It's somewhat smaller, maybe a little more close-knit, and altogether more focused on fostering relationships that encourage friendly discussion about the Realmslore.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  17:20:42  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
I like to think it is because we are superior to them in most every way!

P.S. It is a well known "Fact" that your IQ is inversely proportional to the amount of time spent on that "other forum" which shall remain nameless to me. While your IQ is directly proportional to time spent here.

Hope your new found brain cells are put to "good use"

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  17:42:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Well, when I first started coming around here, I thought this place was a bit 'dry' for my tastes (sorry if that offends anyone). Everything was extremely regimented and kept on-topic at all times.

Now I see a bit of coversation going on in the threads, which I like better, because it gives the place a friendlier atmosphere. While I would never want this place to become another WotC, a litte bit of 'topic drift' is exceptable, IMHO.

I think the mods are providing the perfect amount of moderation right now - they only step in when things go beyond 2-3 posts off-topic (and occassionaly join in the fun themselves).

That makes it feel more like a 'family dinner table' around here, then a dry fan-site that is just for information-gathering.

Just my two-cents.

Edited by - Markustay on 25 Aug 2008 20:13:26
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  17:54:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message
I dunno. I never noticed that but you also have to remember when it was just us three mods, we were still learning what was expected of us.

But Wooly, Sage, and I, when I was still a mod for the year or so, became more comfortable with what we were doing. Arky helped a bit also until him and I got to stressed and stepped down.

However, many threads have always had a topic drift until someone brought it back to the topic, least in my experience.

But I will say, the constant off topic discussions over on WOTC's FR boards drives me nuts because a lot of it makes no sense in the threads that it happens in. It's annoying when you have to skip half the replies because they have nothing to do with the topic because people are rattling on about inane topics in the middle of the thread, etc.

quote:

Well, when I first started coming around here, I thought this place was a bit 'dry' for my tastes (sorry if that offends anyone). Everything was extremely regimeted and kept on-topic at all times.

Now I see a bit of coversation going on in the threads, which I like better, because it gives the place a friendlier atmosphere. While I would never want this place to become another WotC, a litte bit of 'topic drift' is exceptable, IMHO.

I think the mods are providing the perfect amount of moderation right now - they only step in when things go beyond 2-3 posts off-topic (and occassionaly join in the fun themselves).

That makes it feel more like a 'family dinner table' around here, then a dry fan-site that is just for information-gathering.

Just my two-cents.

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Aug 2008 17:58:37
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  18:13:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I think a little topic drift is acceptable and even expected. It happens enough in regular conversation, after all. One thing I like, though, is that -- just as in an offline conversation -- the discussion usually returns to the original topic without any interference. Sometimes things do get really far from the topic, but it's not something that happens all that oft.*

*Though Sage and I do have a tendency to insult each other's BattleTech factions a little too much. That'll stop once he acknowledges the inherent superiority of House Davion.

This discussion has drifted from its original topic, too, but since it's a natural outgrowth of the original topic, I see no reason to sweat it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  18:29:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

I think a little topic drift is acceptable and even expected. It happens enough in regular conversation, after all. One thing I like, though, is that -- just as in an offline conversation -- the discussion usually returns to the original topic without any interference. Sometimes things do get really far from the topic, but it's not something that happens all that oft.*
Agreed.

As it is, I tend to think that five-to-seven posts of "off-topicness" are usually enough. Though if it looks like the discussion is heading even further off the topic after those initial posts, that's when it's time for a friendly reminder from the Mods to get back on track.
quote:
*Though Sage and I do have a tendency to insult each other's BattleTech factions a little too much. That'll stop once he acknowledges the inherent superiority of House Davion.
Bah! House Liao won the Succession Wars. Thus proving the ultimate superiority of the Confederation.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Aug 2008 18:30:49
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:35:23  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message
DAvion Blows, so does Liao
neither could pay me enough- a damn merc

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  19:37:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Bah! House Liao won the Succession Wars. Thus proving the ultimate superiority of the Confederation.

Team Banzai forever!

And MT, I've always preferred forums that were more about discussion, instead of trolling, flaming, etc. The Wizards boards are too much "are too/am not" anymore for me to go back.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2008 :  20:30:08  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message
May I suggest that, sometime when your ire's diminished, you choose to visit the WotC forums with the knowledge you won't post for a month or two? It'll allow you to harvest ideas without being baited.

No advice on how to survive the (apparent) running contest for signature length, though.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  00:24:09  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message
Yes you are better off here anyways. I can't remember the last time I even visited the WotC boards.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  04:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

House Marik reigns supreme. They beat down Liao in the Succession Wars, and they broke the Federated Commonwealth.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  15:51:21  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message
quote:

Oh Yeah....well the Jihad rules!!!....

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2008 :  16:47:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Oh Yeah....well the Jihad rules!!!....

You did not just go there! I'm about to open a can of Sellplague on your backside!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Aug 2008 16:47:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000