Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Say goodbye to the Realms until 5th Edition...
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  03:06:16  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

In summary, this is my solemn plea: Please only buy the 4e Realms products if you actually like what is there.

This I truly agree and has been my creed since this 4E fiasco.

Why buy the "core books" or the setting books and then judge? You buy the book and still think it sucks, you didn't tell WotC nothing because you put money they wanted in their pocket.

They got you.

So, browse the books first.

I agree with you and I'll second this point.
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  03:07:22  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

Once the products stop, don't certain rights return to Ed? Maybe Ed can then release his own preferred edition. MWP did a nice job of his Castlemourn setting; I'm sure they would be interested in FR if it became available.

In this case we must know what Ed is going to do with the Realms.. Is he willing to continue them under MWP or another company??Can he cancel the changes of Spellplague and 4th edition??

Here's what I think he should do.

Jump ship, take the Realms with him (pre-4E) and bring it over to Pathfinder RPG with Paizo.

We'll get both the edition and the setting we want and done by the RIGHT people.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  03:20:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Sorry about the orc-($# part. I thought these boards had filters. My fault.

It does, though sometimes it doesn't quite catch everything.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 26 Apr 2008 03:21:59
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  05:59:17  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

Once the products stop, don't certain rights return to Ed? Maybe Ed can then release his own preferred edition. MWP did a nice job of his Castlemourn setting; I'm sure they would be interested in FR if it became available.

In this case we must know what Ed is going to do with the Realms.. Is he willing to continue them under MWP or another company??Can he cancel the changes of Spellplague and 4th edition??

Jump ship, take the Realms with him (pre-4E) and bring it over to Pathfinder RPG with Paizo.

We'll get both the edition and the setting we want and done by the RIGHT people.

I've had dreams where Ed did something along those lines... I really wish he could write about the Realms full time and make a (full, not partial) living out of it. I wish he still owned the Realms or somehow had a clawback agreement where the Realms would wholly come back to him if they aren't treated to his satisfaction...

Sigh...
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  09:28:41  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would wish for the same thing if I hadn't learned long ago that wishing for what one cant get is a rather depressing pastime. A rule system created specifically for the Realms would be great though. Or the Realms transferred to any sort of level-less system.

Of course, if this "what if" scenario where to take place, most of the fan-base would spend the next century arguing with each other about which version of the Realms they would like to see continued. Grey-box? Eds original? TSR? 3ed.? I dont envy the persons having to make that choice.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  10:26:07  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though I agree with the second sentiment (right people right setting), which edition are you talking about? I think you will find some of us dislike 3.xE as much as others do 4E......... (even though they haven't seen the complete 4E rules yet)

Just my thoughts

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2008 :  15:53:55  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IF the rights return to ed (which i'm sure they don't since WotC can still squeeze money out of those that haven't known extendedly about the setting beforehand) then he surely could retcon everything he wanted ... its within owners rights ... but i still think that ed would be wise enough to only retcon back to 3e ... local parts futher back because they was allready screwed up in 3e

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  03:44:59  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:

So, each year one campaign setting is coming and only 3 books per setting. Done. Sure, DDI updates will happen, but that's not really enough. So, once 2008 is over, kiss your Realms goodbye until 5th Edition.

For me, the official Realms is already gone, thanks to the Spellplague nonsense.

Still, ticks me off

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  07:26:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

quote:

So, each year one campaign setting is coming and only 3 books per setting. Done. Sure, DDI updates will happen, but that's not really enough. So, once 2008 is over, kiss your Realms goodbye until 5th Edition.

For me, the official Realms is already gone, thanks to the Spellplague nonsense.

Still, ticks me off

You'll get used to it. It might take a year or two, but it passes.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  17:15:35  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

quote:

quote:

Still, ticks me off

You'll get used to it. It might take a year or two, but it passes.

It will pass once they see what they've done and retcon the whole thing

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Dragonstar
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  18:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Dragonstar's Homepage Send Dragonstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not that I doubt what you read, but would you care to provide a link to this info? From what I understand, additional settings (Ravenloft, Spelljammer, etc.) will be released in the same style as FR (Setting, Player's Guide, and an initial adventure), but that does not disclude the Realms themselves from having additional material published. If anything, with the Living Forgotten Realms push at the end of this year, I'd think there would be more publishing love given to the FR than any other setting.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6662 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2008 :  23:12:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WotC haven't ruled out publishing more FR-specific books after 2008 but have implied that that is not currently the plan unless they get an idea for a book that is really good. The DDI is where the Realms will enjoy ongoing support.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  00:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dragonstar
If anything, with the Living Forgotten Realms push at the end of this year, I'd think there would be more publishing love given to the FR than any other setting.

Why? There was no plethora of 3E Greyhawk products for the Living Greyhawk games.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  01:43:06  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Caedwyr

quote:

In summary, this is my solemn plea: Please only buy the 4e Realms products if you actually like what is there.

Or if you are willing to wait a short while, I'm sure you could pick up a second hand copy fairly easily. (Amazon marketplace, Abebooks, or similar). You get the book and WoTC doesn't get your money for the resale.

That's what I was thinking of doing.

That would be probably the only way I would get it myself

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:00:31  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

WotC haven't ruled out publishing more FR-specific books after 2008 but have implied that that is not currently the plan unless they get an idea for a book that is really good. The DDI is where the Realms will enjoy ongoing support.

-- George Krashos

More like if they get an idea for a book that will rake in the most profit.

Just makes me even more saddened to hear that. Back in TSR days, the designers wrote and wrote for the love of the setting and put out a FR book that was fun to read through no matter what it was.

*sighs*
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  03:52:16  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

terrible

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  04:41:34  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Razz, TSR went bankrupt because of its lack of fiscally sound business practices. But if it makes you feel any better there exists an entire team dedicated to the publishing of Realmslore without any regard to profits—the staff of the Candlekeep Compendium. And it just so happens we’re looking for new blood. So if YOU or anyone else wants to write for the love of the setting, we’d love to have you. But WotC is a business with employees, and freelancers, and shareholders; individuals who all expect and deserve to be paid for their hard work.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  05:49:35  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James
But WotC is a business with employees, and freelancers, and shareholders; individuals who all expect and deserve to be paid for their hard work.

And fans of the Forgotten Realms are consumers who all expect and deserve for their loyalty and large monetary investment to be rewarded with due consideration; obviously, capitalism does not automatically reward either loyalty OR hard work, so what you (and I) just posted means nothing. WotC employees only "deserve" to continue getting paid so long as WotC products earn greater annual profits as a result of a business decision that essentially screws over the people who have been buying Realms products for years. If this gamble results in consistently greater profits, then overall utility of humankind is slightly increased, and I will henceforth regard this affair sadly but philosophically. If consistently greater profits do not materialize and the WotC employees who were directly responsible for this mess lose their jobs, then I will personally have no sympathy for people who, with callous disregard for the expectations of a loyal fanbase, have deprived my own life of much of its utility.
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  06:51:43  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Profound, low tech.

I never considered becoming a shareholder. Has anybody purchased stock in Hasbro and voiced opinions or requested data about WotC's justifications as an owner?

From my limited understanding of corporations, owning stock, even a single share (currently trading at approximately $35, approximately the price of current products), may actually grant us greater influence with WoTC beyond than as customers.

And we could encourage them to get the lead out of some of Hasbro's other product lines...? ::note to self, check their recalls::
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  07:39:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But if it makes you feel any better there exists an entire team dedicated to the publishing of Realmslore without any regard to profits—the staff of the Candlekeep Compendium. And it just so happens we’re looking for new blood. So if YOU or anyone else wants to write for the love of the setting, we’d love to have you.
Just to expand a little on what Brian was saying above...

So long as you've got some good ideas, and a willingness to explore the Realms through exciting new articles, then the Candlekeep Compendium wants YOU! We're always looking for contributions, whether they're one-shots, part of a series, or just something you feel passionate about in terms of a piece of Realmslore. Here's your chance.

For those interested in participating, simply contact Alaundo and he'll make the necessary arrangements.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  09:42:12  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

Profound, low tech.

From my limited understanding of corporations, owning stock, even a single share (currently trading at approximately $35, approximately the price of current products), may actually grant us greater influence with WoTC beyond than as customers.

Well, I canceled my order of the 4E Campaign Setting at Amazon yesterday and wrote "4E is no way acceptable right now" as reason for canceling the order. I was just wondering, if some 100+ cancellations at Amazon would have any influence on the outcome of the Campaign Setting?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

ShepherdGunn
Seeker

USA
89 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  10:26:23  Show Profile  Visit ShepherdGunn's Homepage Send ShepherdGunn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, there's a few options that I've been looking at in regards to the Realms, at least for me and mine (and my group).

Option 1- Snag me a copy of the Pathfinder rules, and have that be the "4E" rules that I use.
Option 2- Actually do the switch over from D&D to Rolemaster that I've been threatening since this whole "4th E"-diocy has been announced.
Option 3- "Vote with my Wallet", but not in the way that everyone's been talking about. Get the 4e core books, DDI, and Forgotten Realms books, but only those. Don't touch anything else coming out. I honestly have been thinking long and hard about this latter option. I mean, if everyone starts canceling their FR orders then won't WotC take that as "Oh, no one is interested in FR, guess we don't need to release anything ever again for it."?

I've been watching how WotC does things for a while now, and I know that they won't just hand the stuff over to Ed, sadly. Case in point, Legends of the Five Rings (which I use now for all my Kara-Tur rules, since WotC didn't publish anything). They purchased L5R from Alderac, and IMO attempted to kill the game. They so badly tanked the story line, it almost died. Then they "generously" sold the rights back to Alderac. Heck, one of the first promo cards after the rights went back was called "Welcome Home". Now, L5R has been crawling back to it's place of popularity, but I still don't think it's where it once was. It's still a viable competitor, though, and I think WotC isn't going to "make that mistake" again. Giving Ed the rights to his own setting would be doom to WotC and D&D and I think we all know it. No matter what the rules, the setting would pull more than a few "die-hards" and "noobs" from D&D and to where ever Ed went. WotC is sure as shooting not going to let that happen.

On a side note... if they're going to "focus on one setting a year", what happens after the butchery of FR, Eber-yawn, and Grayhawk? New settings? Or do we get Dark Sun, Ravenloft, and Dragonlance thrown into the 4th Edition +5 Blender of Mental Margaritas? I mean, personally, I'd be for a Dark Sun book, that's just me. I just am fearful of what the current mindset would do to it, as well as any other setting already existing that has a fan base. ("OK, everyone, we're going to go farm Strad's Castle. Of course, we need to make sure that Count Strad's respawned first, or it's not going to get us high enough to get our paragon paths...") And what's really terrifying is the notion that they could bring back Birthright... oh, the humanity.

"Man does not live by bread alone, likewise, blades and arrows aren't the only things that can kill him."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  14:57:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

More like if they get an idea for a book that will rake in the most profit.

Just makes me even more saddened to hear that. Back in TSR days, the designers wrote and wrote for the love of the setting and put out a FR book that was fun to read through no matter what it was.

*sighs*

Well, every company has profit as their top-priority, and I don't doubt that the current crop of designers "loves the Realms." That being said, I don't think a lot of their ideas mesh well with what the setting is supposed to be. That is of course just my take on things--as always YMMV.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  16:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

...and I don't doubt that the current crop of designers "loves the Realms..."

I actually do not see this at all, they may love to write in the Realms, but I do not see an actual love for the Realms. By the 4e Realms team or WotC in general. None of them run or play in a Realms game, but they all steal elements of the Realms for their own campaign setting (discussed in one of the earlier interviews, sorry I do not remember which one , and do not have the patience to find it). Also, they are willing to read a 20+ page campaign guide that Chris Perkins has made for his new campaign, but they are no willing to read up on the Realms (albeit, more than 20+ pages for the whole thing, but for many of the regions, there is a total or 20 or less pages of data). Also, when Ed and many of the other authors who they consulted before making this decision said that it was not a good idea, they thought that they knew best and went ahead with it anyways (also from a blog or interview or something, but I do not have the time nor energy while at work to find the link). None of that speaks to me as a "love for the Realms."

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  16:57:08  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool avatar, Hawkins!

Depending upon the corporate structure, it's highly likely that the WotC employees with whom we interact have no ability to stop the 4.0 changes, short of voting with their feet.

As far as gaming group participation, in my experience good groups are, first and foremost, social venues. If part of a group of close friends wants to switch settings or even games, it's healthy for groups to compromise.

So, while it would be ideal if designers were gaming the FR while designing FR product, I don't know that it's fair to fault gamers hired for creativity if and when they switch out their games in response to setting-fatigue--or to reach group concensus.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  18:23:11  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I actually do not see this at all, they may love to write in the Realms, but I do not see an actual love for the Realms. By the 4e Realms team or WotC in general.

I've heard that Rich Baker actually does run a Realms campaign, although not "in-office."

As for my point--the designers have said that they "love the Realms." It would be bad form, on my part, to suggest that they are lying and DON'T actually love the setting. So, the fairest thing to do is take them at their word.

Whether they love the Realms or not, it has nothing to do with how I have received the news of the changes that are coming to the setting. I don't like them. Does that make sense?

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  20:00:32  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by monknwildcat

So, while it would be ideal if designers were gaming the FR while designing FR product, I don't know that it's fair to fault gamers hired for creativity if and when they switch out their games in response to setting-fatigue--or to reach group concensus.

quote:

I've heard that Rich Baker actually does run a Realms campaign, although not "in-office."

As for my point--the designers have said that they "love the Realms." It would be bad form, on my part, to suggest that they are lying and DON'T actually love the setting. So, the fairest thing to do is take them at their word.

Whether they love the Realms or not, it has nothing to do with how I have received the news of the changes that are coming to the setting. I don't like them. Does that make sense?

Actually, both of these statements/arguments make sense, and I was thinking about them when I typed my response. It is just that for me, in most cases, actions speak louder than words, and the actions that I have seen speak quite loudly. Thanks for your responses!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

monknwildcat
Learned Scribe

USA
285 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  21:30:04  Show Profile  Visit monknwildcat's Homepage Send monknwildcat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ShepherdGunn: Does Amazon communicate order cancelations to publishers? I've never preordered thru them....

Rilonalyrna: Makes sense. You can definitely respect someone's personal integrity and dislike their work/product.

Hawkins: The actions vs words argument resonates with me. But ideals infrequently feed families or provide health insurance. But they make it easier to sleep at night, unless they keep you awake pondering....

Sage: Thanks for the invite. I ducked out of a beating with the creativity stick somewhere in life. Ideas come less frequently than I'd like, but I'll check out the compendiums and see if I have any unique ideas meriting development!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  23:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

You preach it, gurl!

I now advertise my own campaign by telling potential new players that, "No, your favorite mage is not already dead or insane." To me, this "Spellplague" rubbish is about as "fun" as was character roll-up in Traveller (or was it Star Wars -- or both?): "Okay, thanks for spending two hours on character creation; now get out a clean character sheet because your character died during roll-up...."

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2008 :  23:33:37  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Razz, TSR went bankrupt because of its lack of fiscally sound business practices. But if it makes you feel any better there exists an entire team dedicated to the publishing of Realmslore without any regard to profits—the staff of the Candlekeep Compendium. And it just so happens we’re looking for new blood. So if YOU or anyone else wants to write for the love of the setting, we’d love to have you. But WotC is a business with employees, and freelancers, and shareholders; individuals who all expect and deserve to be paid for their hard work.

That I understand. It's reasonable. But if TSR made sound business choices while keeping the game in its spirit and ideal, they would have achieved that perfect middle ground. Instead, TSR went to the extreme and now we have WotC going to the extreme but on the other side. There is a middle ground, but no business seems to want to achieve that. I know were I owner of the brand name, I'd want that. But then again, I'm more of an idealist than a business man so I wouldn't expect to make huge profits, but it wouldn't be what I want anyway. Just like no one truly owns a hobby shop for the sheer profits it brings in (which they really don't). They run it because they enjoy the atmosphere and other joys it brings. WotC, unfortunately, has the corporate mindset for our beloved game. Being owned by Hasbro makes it worse.

Also, I agree with your other point. I have always wanted to write something here for Candlekeep to share with everyone. I wanted to do a Realmslore material for the Expanded Psionics Handbook races like the Xeph, Dromite, Maenad and Half-Giant since I haven't seen one here done for that yet. When I get around to writing it, I'll definitely submit it.

Edited by - Razz on 28 Apr 2008 23:42:00
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000