Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Are the WotC boards down again?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  19:48:40  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since Wooly closed my last topic where I kept track of these things (for good reason), I was wondering if everyone else was having trouble accessing their boards?

They announced that the boards were being shut down for 'major maintenance' all day Sunday, but then they started acting wonky yesterday (Friday), being up and down during parts of the day, and I was just wondering if they decided to pull the plug a day early?

Considering my 'borderline status' there half the time, I'm never sure if it's their site, or if I've finally been banned. Please let me know if the rest of you are having problems as well.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  20:18:07  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cannot get on myself

Maybe we're both banned

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.

Edited by - MerrikCale on 05 Jul 2008 20:18:33
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  20:26:48  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm more amazed when the WoTC boards are actually up.

And yes, they are down for me too.
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  20:58:11  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me too i can not enter!! may be they want payment for every minute spent in the forum

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  21:00:13  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I tried to look for a thread about dragonborn in the realms on the Wizzard's realm's board where Lord Karsus this morning pointed to an old preview of the dragonborn in "Races of the Dragon" and asked if somebody knows anything about them (he seems to know nothing about WotC retconning just another race making it a bloody mess once again). But I cannot find any of their boards, and since I am not even registered there, I cannot be banned; so, yes, their boards are down.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links • 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  21:20:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I took a look at the Ask Rich thread earlier today, but there was nothing new there. Now when I try to get back to the thread, I get a page telling me I don't have access to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  21:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's far more likely to be a matter of the boards being down than of people being banned. The WotC boards have been very wonky as of late.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  23:18:20  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay - thanks for the responses people.

I 'took a shot' at Chris Perkins yesterday, and I thought they cut me off.

Thanks for letting me know its everbody and not just me.

(I get paranoid sometimes).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  23:27:55  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't been there in months. The last time I had a reply was on KnightErrantJR's "What I want for FR" thread years ago, and I see where that got us

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  23:32:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, I tried to go on before and couldn't. The boards were (and might still be) down.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2008 :  23:35:17  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are fixing the bloody thing, give them (whoever them are) a few hours to post a notice of an unplanned outtage. One even had an estimate of when they might be up again.

As noted by another the Boards that should not be mentioned *wink* has had an increase of downtime complaits. WotC bkames increased trafice, others point to code adjustments. *shrugs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  21:35:05  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Here's the deal (and, mind you, I am not a computer technician):

A) The WotC boards use two different databases to "back up" the posts that are made on the boards. At some point last week, one of the databases was damaged/corrupted. More specifically, the database that held/backed up the older posts was damaged/corrupted. As a result, there was a problem last week where posts that were made before the point when the database became damaged/corrupted were not showing up, while all posts made after this point (that were on the undamaged/uncorrupted database) were not.

B) The WotC boards are having trouble with the vBulletin script, due to increased traffic due to the release of 4e, and for whatever other reasons. Combined with the fact that the boards are still running on Gleemax ALPHA structure, there are still kinks that haven't been worked out.

C) The structure of the boards are changing, for those who don't know. For example, all of the 3e topics have been moved into their own section, being as that 4e is the current system. Boards are still in the process of being moved, shrinked, expanded and collapsed. The Forgotten Realms section, for instance, will be receiving an extra forum (and, based on the numbers, it is likely that a third might be warranted, in the future), thanks to the continued and increased contribution of everyone, and the efforts of yours truly. As such, when things are shuffled, the boards are put off-line, to complete the changes.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  03:41:37  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are supposed to be down until mid-July, at least, with the stated possibility that they won't go back up until 23 July 2008. They are presently read-only, if they are up at all.

I'm actually glad that this scroll is here, so that I can display my erudition by stating to my fellow scribes that "flectomancy," as in "Goblin Flectomancer" means divination by the interpretation of bends or turns. Given the flavor text on that Time Spiral card, however, I think that the correct word would be "thaumaflector," one who works wonders by bending something (in this case, thoughts bent to flow into the brain of a goblin). Now you know.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 07 Jul 2008 03:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  04:03:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Now you know.

<Flint>And knowing is half the battle.</Flint>

GI Joe!

*I'm sure I'm not the only person who thought of doing this quote!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  04:09:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whoa! It's been years since I've thought about anything Flint-related.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2008 04:09:44
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3740 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  20:15:42  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They are supposed to be down until mid-July, at least, with the stated possibility that they won't go back up until 23 July 2008. They are presently read-only, if they are up at all.

-Being that I have not hear this, I am going to claim it to be false. Where did you learn this information?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  23:07:55  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-Being that I have not hear this, I am going to claim it to be false. Where did you learn this information?

I managed to get on the boards (and post) this past Sunday night.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 08 Jul 2008 23:08:16
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  23:50:53  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

I managed to get on the boards (and post) this past Sunday night.
And I was able to post yesterday. I got on today, but did not find anything that I felt I needed to post on, but I assume you can post if you want to.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  03:18:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was posting today...and then the board went down again.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  03:49:41  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I was posting today...and then the board went down again.

it is pretty ridiculous

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  04:01:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe Candlekeep's infamous gremlins followed me over to the WotC boards.

They're intensely loyal... in their own way!

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  04:28:23  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'd much rather that they stay there, to be perfectly honest!

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  04:41:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

ME TO! ME TO!

I've seen a few has escaped again to torment 'Keep this past week or two. Grumbles!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 10 Jul 2008 04:41:54
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  06:12:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kes_Alanadel

quote:

Well, as I said, they're very loyal. Bribing them to stay at WotC simply won't work.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  17:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, as I said, they're very loyal. Bribing them to stay at WotC simply won't work.
Unfortunately, I ran into the gremlins today when trying to log on here. I had avoided mentioning them the past couple of weeks because I had not had seen any and did not want to attract their attention. I guess it didn't work.

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  20:52:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had considerable luck posting here lately - a couple of weeks ago I was almost ready to give-up, it was so bad.

Things got MUCH better here right around the time WotC started having severe problems, so I think Sage's 'they followed me home' theory may indeed be correct.

I'm glad to see you left a few behind - I can't say I'lll miss the little buggers.

As for WotC... most of you know what I think. They went 'Alpha' almost a year ago, and promised a FINISHED version by the time 4e went on the shelves. Now we have 4e - no comment - and they aren't even in BETA yet!!!

And they expect people to start paying for that.

Everday it's a crap-shoot weather I can even logon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:22:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Unfortunately, I ran into the gremlins today when trying to log on here. I had avoided mentioning them the past couple of weeks because I had not had seen any and did not want to attract their attention. I guess it didn't work.
Aye.

It's best that you mention each and every important occurence though -- especially if they quickly become repetitive.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  01:29:37  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Things got MUCH better here right around the time WotC started having severe problems, so I think Sage's 'they followed me home' theory may indeed be correct.
That is, of course, if you accept that WotC is my FR home. But we both know that's not the case.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  17:26:55  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Aye.

It's best that you mention each and every important occurence though -- especially if they quickly become repetitive.
*grimly shakes off the Gremlin biting his ankle and points a finger at The Sage* "I blame you! Ever since they heard you talking about your attempt to relocate them, they have returned in force! I have not been able to go anywhere in these halls for the past two days with out seeing one or more of them!"

On a more serious note: the Gremlins are out in force again...

* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000