Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 July and beyond
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  18:32:16  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The new preview article for july gives a sneak peak into the FRCS.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4pr/20080703a

The map looks good :)

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com

Edited by - Patrakis on 03 Jul 2008 18:33:07

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  19:19:27  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, no it doesn't.

And I find it amusing that they are still using the Drizzy cover for the FRCG.
Go to Top of Page

Garen Thal
Master of Realmslore

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  19:59:20  Show Profile  Visit Garen Thal's Homepage Send Garen Thal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Except that that isn't the actual cover, just like Treasure Trove is Adventurer's Vault now.

If only our previews could, yanno, keep up with the actually-released information...
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36797 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  20:18:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm a little curious as to how the anonymous Council of Six became the openly-identifiable Council of Five.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  20:19:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I learned about layering in Photoshop.

Should be a snap to update my map to 4e... if I ever feel so inclined.

I liked 3e's maps - the style will always be the 'epitome' of fantasy cartographic elegance in my book.

Anyhow, I haven't had time to read about Amn, but that picture of a fortress(?) looks like a scene from a video-game, and the minis still look like ugly, melted lumps of plastic in 4e.

Can't they whip those little Chinese Kids into producing better work?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 03 Jul 2008 20:31:55
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  20:48:54  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh? Well they remind me of the maps done by our very own Yak Tundra and thought those were very interesting.

As for the style of 3e, well it's all a mather of taste but very much disliked the style.

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2008 :  22:52:13  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Cyric was down and out in 4e, yet his clergy is still influential and powerful according to this article. I wonder if someone assumed his portfolio, or if he can still grant spells despite being punished for his hand in Mystra's demise.

It certainly sets the stage for future adventures and/or novels where he resurfaces yet again.

"Church of Cyric: Cyric’s faith is powerful in Amn, since it espouses as virtues ambition, self-reliance, and the principle of “buyer beware.” The church is not seen as particularly murderous or antisocial by most Amnians. Those initiated into the deeper circles of the faith know otherwise. Merchants who don’t want to suffer mysterious monster attacks against their caravans and ships pay off the Black Sun. Many wish to arrange such things for their rivals and willingly participate in every sort of degradation and initiation demanded by the Prince of Lies. The Cyricists are working to elevate the Pommarch to the position of council leader."

quote:
Originally posted by Patrakis

Oh? Well they remind me of the maps done by our very own Yak Tundra and thought those were very interesting.

As for the style of 3e, well it's all a mather of taste but very much disliked the style.

Pat

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  01:44:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm a little curious as to how the anonymous Council of Six became the openly-identifiable Council of Five.
I'm not sure why the anonymity of the Council has been lost. As for the reduction in the number of members... Perhaps the role of commanding the military forces in Amn has fallen to a member of the army itself. Or maybe the role of Dahaunarch has been taken over by another member of the Council, like the Meisarch for example -- adding the command of the army to it's portfolio of internal defense. [If that's the case though, then that's an significant increase in the Meisarch's power and influence within Amn.]

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  02:09:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hate it all, it sucks!

Sorry, I just felt like being flippant.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  02:53:56  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I hate it all, it sucks!

Sorry, I just felt like being flippant.

Just one of things we love about you.
And my opinion is very similar to yours on this.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  03:47:15  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Just one of things we love about you.

Awww, thanks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Cyria
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2008 :  07:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Cyria's Homepage Send Cyria a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see Cyric is getting away with quite a few things. Did they kill off Waukeen so he could have the merchants too?

Hah. And people whined about Mystra being a disruptive author's pet who had the setting distorted to fit her.
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  03:22:57  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Conference call

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  04:37:13  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nah - they all have text-messaging in 4e.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  11:56:28  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
6 to 5, it's to attract new players, 6 names was to much
Go to Top of Page

Aaron Highcolor
Acolyte

USA
45 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  18:33:26  Show Profile  Visit Aaron Highcolor's Homepage Send Aaron Highcolor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Nah - they all have text-messaging in 4e.

No, no, no!

They have instant messaging, but they speak in internet chat, LOLZ!

And as far as the map goes, it doesn't look much different than any other map that was in any web content for the Realms that was produced previously.

Run when you have to, fight when you must, rest when you can.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000