Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Black people/nations in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  17:56:35  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I propose that we no longer discuss the religions or politics of make-believe people either.

But seriously, sort of, I don't think it is right to say anything about the appearance of Drow is "natural." They were cursed with unnatural coloration. At least that's how I've looked at it in the past. Black skin in a creature that never sees light is not natural at all. Naturally it seems to me that an underdark race would have incredibly pale, if not translucent skin as the body attempted to capture any errant ray of light to make vitamin D. I think there is support for this since it's not like Ed put a bunch of dark skinned people up north and blond people at the equator. Basic physiology seems to be the same in the Realms, (hitpoints notwithstanding.)

The Drow have completely unnatural features and live in an unnatural realm because they were banished. So if they look ridiculous in drawings because of that, I'm willing to call that just another curse.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  18:20:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it could be argued that after the initial banishment, it became natural for them. And we don't know enough about drow physiology to know if they need vitamin D. They perhaps don't need it, or they have some substitute, or something in their food supply is vitamin D-rich, or they could even draw some from faerzress.

On the flipside, I think their dark skin would be ideal for hiding in the lightless and nearly lightless surroundings of the Underdark.

Either way, we've strayed pretty far from the original topic.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  18:26:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC, Ed's Drow WERE White... TRUE white, not that pinkish-peach skin color we usually term as 'white'.

Very much like the Shadow Elves of Mystara, I believe.

He even mentions them in 2e DotU, but only in passing, as an 'aberration' among the Drow. Still, they make more sense, had they evolved 'naturally', as did the Mystaran 'Subterranean Elves.

Another species of Underdark Elf are the Rockseer Elves, who I believe had pale skin tones as well. They are not 100% canon to FR, but in the Elves of Faerūn project, we have placed them as the Green Elven Allies of the Illythiir, who fled below ground with them once the descent curse fell upon the Drow.

Sorry... this has gone slightly off-topic. I tend to ramble on at times.

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Wow, I need to go back through some of my d20 resources again. I completely forgot abotu Underland, and that's a damn cool concept. Thanks for reminding me of that one Markustay.

Yeah, I always loved that concept - that even the Underdark had an Underdark!

Monte Cook produces some awesome stuff, and I adapt a lot of it to my Realms.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  18:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Either way, we've strayed pretty far from the original topic.

Tough to argue with that and I can take the hint that you are employing your Rod of the Last Word. Or perhaps this post says that I can't.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  19:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum
But seriously, sort of, I don't think it is right to say anything about the appearance of Drow is "natural." They were cursed with unnatural coloration.

Of course, the concept of being "cursed with dark/black skin" is also pretty dodgy thanks to real world baggage.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 28 Mar 2008 19:32:34
Go to Top of Page

Ozzalum
Learned Scribe

USA
277 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  20:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Ozzalum's Homepage Send Ozzalum a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Of course, the concept of being "cursed with dark/black skin" is also pretty dodgy thanks to real world baggage.

Agreed. I think you have approach it as a curse that made them unnatural: colorless or black-and-white. Otherwise, the obvious question becomes, what's so bad about having dark skin? We talk a lot here about bad decisions being made by WotC but the "cursed with dark skin" one was a doozy.

Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2008 :  22:54:56  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozzalum

quote:

Agreed. I think you have approach it as a curse that made them unnatural: colorless or black-and-white. Otherwise, the obvious question becomes, what's so bad about having dark skin? We talk a lot here about bad decisions being made by WotC but the "cursed with dark skin" one was a doozy.

Well, we'll have to go back quite a ways before WotC...back to the days of the Fiend Folio where the dastards came from in 1st Edition Dungeons and Dragons.

Way back when the Drow were REALLY something to be feared in the Underdark. Now they are sort of like Worf on Star Trek:

If you want to show how bad something really is...just have it beat the crap outa a bunch of Drow all at once and there you have it!

More back to the original topic: where ARE the dark skinned people...as in, what nations compare to real world peoples so that folks have something to compare them to? Perhaps this is a good question for ol' Ed and THO!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2008 :  01:38:49  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, in some old sourcebook somewhere (please don't ask me where) it was mentioned that Elves can derive sustenance from the sun! That would mean that something in their skin (animal Chlorophyll?) allowed them to do this. I don't think they could survive completely on sunlight, but they would be able to last longer then most other beings without any form of nourishment (it was more like supplemental).

So, we can hypothesize that turning their skin black not only removed this naturally-occurring photosynthesis-like ability, but also made sunlight itself anethema to do them (Ulticaria). Now, the original Dark Elves were very much like the Grugach (Wilf Elves), and were much closer to nature then Grey (Sun & Moon) Elves. That means the curse wasn't so much a change of skin color, as it was a denial of them to 'live beneath the sun'.

We must remember one of the cruelist paradoxes of Drow dogma - they yearn for the day when they may one day 'walk beneath the sky' again, and yet, strive as they might, it is that same 'overworld' and its sunlihght that causes them such pain.

That was true nature of Corellon's curse - to change that which brings them joy into that which brings them pain. The skin color was merely a side effect of changing their skin's chemical reaction to sunlight.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Mar 2008 01:39:28
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2008 :  21:20:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This one's for Wooly - I found another very excellent example of an artist being able to produce what he is paiid to.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ad_d/icewind2/art/iw2art04.jpg

You must paste the link directly into your browser - they don't allow linking from another site. After a few moments though, it still came on for me after the error message.

That was from the Icewind Dale video game - all of its artwork was excellent.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:55:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

This one's for Wooly - I found another very excellent example of an artist being able to produce what he is paiid to.

Eh, I can't say I really care for it... But then I'm really picky on my fantasy artwork, since I came into this hobby when Elmore, Easley, and Caldwell were doing everything. It does, however, prove that getting the skintone right is not impossible.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  02:59:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, that was kinda my point. I don't think its all that great, but if you look at the face, hands, and breasts you can see the artist at least did a bang-up job with the fleshtones.

Go to Top of Page

Karzak
Learned Scribe

196 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  04:20:45  Show Profile  Visit Karzak's Homepage Send Karzak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

You must paste the link directly into your browser - they don't allow linking from another site. After a few moments though, it still came on for me after the error message.

That was from the Icewind Dale video game - all of its artwork was excellent.

That one's lovely. To be honest, I found the one Wooly linked... hideous. Of course, I think Elmore's art (and any art done in a similar style) is ugly beyond belief. Tacky, flat colors and full of dead-eyed people whose facial expressions seem to be locked into two modes: emotionless and constipated. Campy 80s fantasy art is not really my cup of tea.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2008 :  05:30:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think its those 'child-bearing hips' that are throwing us off on that one. The rest I like, but something about the legs really bothers me.

I like both, but for different reasons, and they both got the skintone right, which is what this threads all about.

Go to Top of Page

Rory
Seeker

79 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  08:22:13  Show Profile  Visit Rory's Homepage Send Rory a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the original subject I was wondering if there are any prominent black human characters of note. The only possible two I know of is Vajra Valmeyjar from the AD&D comic and later modules and possibly Farl Bloodaxe who was described as having dark skin in the novel Crusade. He was a high-ranking Purple Dragon so I don’t know if he was dark skin by their standards or a “Black Knight” immigrant of sort.

edit...

Is this thread like half locked or something? I have the last post but it didnt bump the thread.

Edited by - Rory on 05 Apr 2008 21:40:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2008 :  22:15:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rory

Is this thread like half locked or something? I have the last post but it didnt bump the thread.

No, some of Sage's gremlins are still wandering free. We keep telling him to round them up and put them in a cage, but he instead just put it on his to-do list, which now numbers approximately 304,905 items.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:04:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, it wasn't my fault this time. The Lady K forgot to close the cage door after she'd finished feeding them.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2008 :  01:15:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Hey, it wasn't my fault this time. The Lady K forgot to close the cage door after she'd finished feeding them.

Now what kind of guy blames things on the mother of his child?

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  01:18:34  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the original subject I was wondering if there are any prominent black human characters of note. The only possible two I know of is Vajra Valmeyjar from the AD&D comic and later modules and possibly Farl Bloodaxe who was described as having dark skin in the novel Crusade. He was a high-ranking Purple Dragon so I don’t know if he was dark skin by their standards or a “Black Knight” immigrant of sort.

edit...

The novel Ring of Winter has quite a few dark-skinned characters in it, as it takes place in Chult.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31726 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  01:42:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's also Nazeem, of Chult, in Master of Chains. The novel itself takes place in Erlkazar.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
757 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  07:55:40  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I've always gotten the impression that Chultans are an "African-like" people.

While Shining South and specifically the picture of the Shaaryan Hunter in Players Guide to Faerūn again gives the distinct impression that the Shaar is in fact populated by "native American-like" dark-skinned people -- perhaps with either a Masai or indeed native American culture and love for a nomadic existence -- as opposed to pure "African-like" people. Again in true Realmsian fashion, they share their space with the African elephant-like Loxos and the alien-like Thri-Kreen, making real world parralels difficult to substantiate.

Though it is non-canon for the most part, the cRPG Neverwinter Nights 1 had a dark skinned character as one of the main supporting NPCs (Aarin Gend, a Chultan).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2008 :  15:07:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene
Again in true Realmsian fashion, they share their space with the African elephant-like Loxos and the alien-like Thri-Kreen, making real world parralels difficult to substantiate.

Indeed--Shaarans are in truth people adapted to their environment rather than a people who are strictly parallel to any one real world culture (remember too that "Native American" cultures are highly varied, depending on where a particular tribe lived).

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Apr 2008 15:08:24
Go to Top of Page

lowtech
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  07:55:43  Show Profile  Visit lowtech's Homepage Send lowtech a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always pictured the Chultans as looking like sub-Saharan Africans, the Tashalans and Lapaliyans as the peoples on the Horn of Africa, and the Dupari as Asian Indians with mixed "Aryan" and Dravidian ancestory (note to the ignorant: "Aryan" means the North Indians, not the Nazi conception). As for the Shaarans, I used to think of them as looking the same as their Lapaliyan neighbors (based on old portrayals of Shaaran centaurs, with whom they shared the same environment), but recent artwork and character descriptions indicate Amerindian features (don't ask me how their ancestors migrated from somewhere in Kara-Tur). The Turmish I picture as Moors or Tauregs. I wish Ed would put this subject to rest (if he hasn't already), so that I don't have to keep altering mental pictures of characters based on new information.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  20:04:27  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re the practicality of painting completely black skin, here's a photo of a naked woman in black body paint (I think) on the cover of a photography magazine.

Edited by - Faraer on 13 Jul 2008 20:07:14
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2008 :  23:36:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice - I've saved it and will remove the background as a... reference.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  01:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My impression has always been that Farl Bloodaxe was what most Americans would call "Black" -- no waffling about, the man sounds like a Negro, un-cursed, non-primitive, just a Black man in authority in Cormyr. Curiously, he also has green eyes, which is a recessive genetic trait on Earth. Even though he commanded the Cormyrian infantry during the Crusade, I don't recall any mention of him anywhere outside of the novels except here in the hallowed halls. Perhaps we could encourage the Master of the Green Wood to spin some lore about him, seeing that poor Farl's been dead a hundred years or so....

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Gwydion669
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2008 :  06:45:38  Show Profile  Visit Gwydion669's Homepage Send Gwydion669 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True "black-skinned" drow also made a brief appearance in the second Dungeons and Dragons movie. They were in the background of one shot, hanging upside down, being bled dry, I believe. You get a much better view of them snacking on the set in the "extras" section of the DVD.

PS: Make sure to watch it with the "player's commentary" running. Four players are providing comments in the role of the iconic characters. It's so bad, it's funny.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2008 :  17:11:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

Re the practicality of painting completely black skin, here's a photo of a naked woman in black body paint (I think) on the cover of a photography magazine.

Very striking picture.

Go to Top of Page

Sinjin Oban
Acolyte

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  04:10:57  Show Profile Send Sinjin Oban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jordanz

Do any exist?

If you want to address the original topic, check the "Do the realms have an Africa-like region?" thread. Its here in the General Forgotten Realms Chat topics.

That thread went pretty well, I thought.

Favored brat of Beshaba. (Which is just as awful as it sounds.)
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  04:44:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
this thread didnt need re animated.

let it die.

furthermore there are no real world ethnic groups in the FR.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

jerrod
Learned Scribe

157 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2012 :  05:00:40  Show Profile Send jerrod a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My my.....so we ARE included in the realms without having to have pointed ears and worship demon-spiders! That's......refreshing!lol

I haven't been here in years but I used to be DARKFLAME MILLITHOR(DROW ARCHMAGE of wildmagic
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000