Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 distance: Shining Falls to Loudwater
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hand of Mystra
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  02:28:47  Show Profile  Visit Hand of Mystra's Homepage Send Hand of Mystra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I have looked at maps on google until I am blue in the face. I cannot find a map that has both Loudwater and a distance scale. Can someone tell me how far it is from Loudwater to Shining Falls? I estimated from another map that Baldur's Gate to Beregost is about 175 miles. By my reckoning, that makes Loudwater to Shining Falls about 115. Does this sound right? Where does one find maps with scales on it?
thanks

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  04:11:31  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's 90 miles, as the crow flies.

Check my large Silver Marches Map here -

http://markustay.deviantart.com/art/Silver-marches-Large-70148696

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hand of Mystra
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  13:31:18  Show Profile  Visit Hand of Mystra's Homepage Send Hand of Mystra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks! I have seen this map on the web but had not been able to find a high res copy to read the scale. My players will appreciate.
Jim
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2008 :  16:29:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cut that map into four smaller easily printable pieces, and they are available here at the Keep.

http://candlekeep.com/library/maps.htm#TorilMaps

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Hand of Mystra
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2008 :  20:24:02  Show Profile  Visit Hand of Mystra's Homepage Send Hand of Mystra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking at Volo's Guide to the North and found a map that has Loudwater and Shining Falls on it. The distance is clearly 60 miles. So where can I find a way to answer this question within cannon?
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  16:30:36  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo's guides are 2e, and the distances and geography are now off since the maps were changed in 3e.

My maps are as close as possible in rectifying 2e locations on 3e's official world map. The scale on my maps is identical to that on the official one, and are therefore MORE accurate then older 2e maps of the region.

A lot of things got screwed up when the maps were changed, and I've done my best in placing them corrctly on the newer version.

Go to Top of Page

Hand of Mystra
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  16:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Hand of Mystra's Homepage Send Hand of Mystra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I started playing during 3.5 so I am not up on these historical facts.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2008 :  17:07:04  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thats Okay - I get a little defensive, because I myself am not always 100% happy with certain placements, and am always going back and tweaking things to get them even closer to the older editions.

Entire countries disappeared after 3e was released, including Sharreach and Erlkazar, and it was a lot of work squeezing them back in.

Besides, my figures place the distance almost PRECISELY between the two figures you quoted, so if you were to average them out, it would still be DAMN close.

(115 + 60)/2 = 87½ miles!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000