Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Battle of Shadowdale (1374)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  08:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hello.

I would like to use the battle of Shadowdale in 1374 as part of my own campaign.

Could someone please enlighten me about this battle?

Especially interested in the following:

The sizes of opposing forces?

When was the battle fought (date, night or day)?

Where was the battle fought?

Were there only one or many battles?

Who were in Zhentish army (any noteworthy allies, NPC-s)? Was Scyulla the commander of the force?

Who were in Shadowdale´s army (any noteworthy allies, NPC-s)? Was Mourngrym the commander?

Short description of the battle itself.

Which tactics were used by the opposing forces?

How much magic was used in the battle?

What were the losses on both sides?

Best Regards,

Mandras

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  13:02:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's quite a bit to cover. I'd suggest that you'd probably be better off investing in a copy of the new Shadowdale module instead.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  13:18:52  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
War rages across Cormanthor and the Dalelands. The black-clad legions of Zhentil Keep and the drow of the Elven Court are locked in a fierce war against the refounded elf realm of Myth Drannor and its allies in the dales. As elves, drow, and humans skirmish in the wide woodlands of the Elven Court, Zhent forces also assail the western forest. A powerful army led by Scyllua Darkhope, High Captain of Zhentil Keep, occupies the western dales. Shadowdale, for so long a bastion against Zhentish ambitions, now groans under the yoke of the conqueror.

Shadowdale's traditional defenders are scattered to the four winds. Storm Silverhand, Dove Falconhand, Scothgar "Scotti" Amcathra, and the rest of the Knights of Myth Drannor fight alongside the warriors of Ilsevele Miritar in the fierce battles far to the east. Mourngrym Amcathra, Lord of the Dale, occupies the Twisted Tower, seemingly unconcerned with Shadowdale's new "defenders." And Elminster, the Sage of Shadowdale, is missing, his tower in ruins. New heroes must step forward if Shadowdale is to be free again.

Shadowdale: The Scouring of the Land
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070718a

and...

WARNING THIS THREAD CONTAINS SEVERAL SPOILS FROM SEVERAL FR STAND ALONE NOVELS AND TRILOGIES THESE INCLUDE AND ARE NOT LIMITED TO

The Last Mythal Trilogy
The Year of Rogue Dragon Trilogy
BLoodwalk
Blackstaff
City of the SPider Queen
Powers of Faerun
Dragons of Faerun

1372 to 1374 FR Timeline: A work in progress

WARNING THIS THREAD CONTAINS SEVERAL SPOILS FROM SEVERAL FR STAND ALONE NOVELS AND TRILOGIES THESE INCLUDE AND ARE NOT LIMITED TO See above

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7930&whichpage=1

Could be helpful

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1

Edited by - Victor_ograygor on 30 Aug 2007 09:28:07
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2007 :  16:49:03  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

That's quite a bit to cover. I'd suggest that you'd probably be better off investing in a copy of the new Shadowdale module instead.

I have the new Shadowdale module. It deals with the battles of 1375. I was interested in the battles that happened before, in 1374 (the ones where Zhentarim got their butts kicked).

Please help me out here.

Best Regards,

Mandras

Oscar Wilde

Edited by - Mandras on 29 Aug 2007 16:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  00:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wonder what this adventure spoils from the novel Bloodwalk. That novel took place down in the Border Kingdoms, and didn't involve anything "Realms-shaking".

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  08:25:38  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Wonder what this adventure spoils from the novel Bloodwalk. That novel took place down in the Border Kingdoms, and didn't involve anything "Realms-shaking".

to clarify - I believe Vic's spoiler warning was ment for the following link to the 1372-1374 timeline thread and not for the adventure of Shadowdale....... Hope that clears your confusion somewhat.

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 30 Aug 2007 08:27:03
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  09:29:21  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

to clarify - I believe Vic's spoiler warning was ment for the following link to the 1372-1374 timeline thread and not for the adventure of Shadowdale....... Hope that clears your confusion somewhat.

Ergdusch

I am so sorry, but yes i were referring to that thread

Vic

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  13:01:39  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank You Victor for the link. From that thread I gathered the following information:

The Zhentarim army started marching on Shadowdale between 12 - 16 Kythorn, since the 18th Kythorn the units of elven Crusader army started skirmishes with Zhentarim army and in 23rd the Zhentarim army fell under night attack by elves and dalesmen. Zhentarim army was routed. On 25th Kythorn Scyulla Darkhope and the remaining Zhentarim troops arrived back to Voonlar.

Perhaps someone who has read the Farthest Reach novel (or has knowledge about this war from other sources) could please help me out with the remaining questions about this war:

The sizes of opposing forces?

Which way the Zhentarim army advanced to Shadowdale? Was it by the road from Voonlar? Were alternative routes used simultaneously?

Where exactly was the night-time battle fought?

Who were in Zhentish army (any noteworthy allies, mercenary groups, NPC-s)?

Which units were in Elven-Dalelander´s army (any noteworthy allies, mercenary or adventurer groups, NPC-s)? Was Mourngrym the commander of the force?

Which Dales sent their units to this war? What kind of units (knights, pikemen, archers, etc) were those?

Short description of the battle itself.

Which tactics were used by the opposing forces?

How much magic was used in the battle?

What were the losses on both sides?

Best Regards,

Mandras

Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  18:16:00  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

quote:

Ergdusch

Oh yes, it does. Thank you!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  18:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mandras
Perhaps someone who has read the Farthest Reach novel (or has knowledge about this war from other sources) could please help me out
with the remaining questions about this war:

*snip*

Mandras

Uh, I don't think any source provides detailed, statistical answers to many of your questions. You are giving us a tall order, here.

Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2007 :  22:22:06  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any data would be most welcomed.

Humbly Yours,

Mandras

Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  00:44:41  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i dont have much details for this one but a same version of this battle was fought about 60 years back during the Time of Troubles, in about the same location with the same attackers and defenders. Notable exceptions are that no elves were present and Elminister had his part on the battle, along with Kelemvor Midnight and others. The battle is described in Shadowdale the first book of the avatar series. The description is a good one as was the whole book

There is that thing in Realms that is had been discussed in the past, about the lack of details for armies like numbers, tactics, special units, banners and stuff like that. However a further discussion here would be off-topic
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  03:21:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker

Well i dont have much details for this one but a same version of this battle was fought about 60 years back during the Time of Troubles, in about the same location with the same attackers and defenders. Notable exceptions are that no elves were present and Elminister had his part on the battle, along with Kelemvor Midnight and others. The battle is described in Shadowdale the first book of the avatar series. The description is a good one as was the whole book

There is that thing in Realms that is had been discussed in the past, about the lack of details for armies like numbers, tactics, special units, banners and stuff like that. However a further discussion here would be off-topic

Uh... It was not quite 20 years back, not 60.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2007 :  05:13:00  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You are right Wooly, made a little research and found out that possibly it was on 1358DR (The Year of Shadows).

Thank you for pointing out.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  01:33:51  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marquant Volker
There is that thing in Realms that is had been discussed in the past, about the lack of details for armies like numbers, tactics, special units, banners and stuff like that.
All that's in FRE1 Shadowdale.
Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2007 :  04:21:56  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually i was reffering to the Realms as whole, i have seen other scrolls (including one created by myself) in the past asking about the same things as Mandras did about different battles/campaigns or armies. Netherless to say the scrolls ended far from complete lore-wise. I believe its the lack of detail over these events, that caused that, something understandable because the Realms isnt a wargame, its a roleplaying game after all.

Example of a scroll mentioned above:
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8083&SearchTerms=the,elven,crusade

Perhaps most people believe that battles dont make good stories, i disagree with them, since i am a Warhammer fan i have seen some excellent war stories, most of them described to the slightest detail (on the other hand thats the nature of WH)

IMHO the spirit of war in dnd (and the Realms) is reflected by Heroes of Battle, a decent book no doubt with clever DM tricks, but i dont believe it will help me to give the feel and the heat of the battle to my players, for that i will use my old WH tricks. What HoB does is creating an illusion of a battle with some encounters that mechanichaly looks like a dungeon crawl.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 26 Sep 2007 04:31:14
Go to Top of Page

IngoDjan
Learned Scribe

Brazil
146 Posts

Posted - 14 Feb 2008 :  04:40:38  Show Profile  Visit IngoDjan's Homepage Send IngoDjan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just want to know where the Zhent camp in this first attack and where was the battles!
Anyone can help me?

Ingo Djan
DUNGEON MASTER AO OF THE DIAMONDS!
"I see the future repeat the past. It all is a museum of great news. The Time do not stop."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000