Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Tyr, Helm and Tymora, daily soap. A RANT!
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  18:09:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
You wanted it, and I deliver... again no punches pulled!

I must admit, Mystra's death-nonsense was the proverbial bitch-slap to the face, but Tyr offing Helm cuz Helm apparently was all over Tymora... where to begin?

Well, we all know that WotC wants less deities in the Realm, so naturally they do the most obvious thing: Find some stupid-arsed reason to send a couple more deities to the ether. Helm bites the dust...well, not only Helm but that would be for another RANT, so there

Again I must applaud Wizards' designers on their ingenuity and resourcefulness (sarcasm, look in the dictionary and you find a picture of me! ) This ploy could have come straight out of Dallas or Dynasty, and who knows, the designers are the right age to have witnessed the events surrounding J.R. Ewing being shot. Then again, a season later Bobby Ewing walks out of the shower and the entire previous season was just a dream... Maybe, just maybe, Elminster jumps out of the pond next to his tower (well, he did rebuild it of course...duh) and the Simbul wakes up in his bed and asks him if everything is all right...

Now, let us take a look at the events the GHotR depicts:

-Siamorphe quarrels with Tyr over something or other, gods quarrel, cuz that is what they do... Hera quarreled with Zeus all the time because of all of Zeus's bastard kids (Herakles anyone?) but did she leave his side? Nooooo....it would've spoiled all the fun and quarreling, cuz that is what deities do...quarrel. So Siamorphe prissy as always stalks away to find shelter at Sune's court.

-----Rantus interruptus! We do NOT know the real reason why Siamorphe left. Maybe she was having an affair with Sune and was just looking for an excuse to join up with her?-----

So she leaves, instead of riding Tyr's back until hell freezes over and he admits he was wrong (how very likely that is is up to everyone) she sulks and pouts like a true human.

-Sune suggests a political marriage between Tymora and Tyr...hell the first two letters of their names match, so that can't be wrong. Again we go with the soap-opera. The balance must be maintained. What balance?! The balance that their must be a chick with the triad? As twisted as the idea of Siamorphe leaving the Triad to stay with her lover Sune is, the thought of what the Triad does in their free time and why a balance must be restored is even more sick!!!

-Tyr gives Helm the job of playing message boy and "courting" Tymora for him. What?! Is Tyr too shy to court her himself, or does he think himself not worthy and thus sends Helm in his place cuz at least him Tymora can look in the eye(s). How...um...human... um

So next we get this Arthurian deal where Lance...um...Helm flirts with Tymora, or so they claim, and this causes Tyr to charge Helm with betrayal... in an affair there are ALWAYS TWO SIDES involved... maybe Tymora got lucky? So even if Cyric was involved as it is apparently whispered in the heavens...gossip is en vogue with them gods ain't it?... Tyr decides to go all Justicey on Helm and challenge just him (again, Tymora got lucky! Twice!!!) to a duel to the death, thereby defying one of Ao's laws that deities will only vanish when their followers sink below zero... did he also slaughter all guardsmen worshiping Helm? No wonder crime has gone up a couple of notches!

Tymora moves in with Tyr, after all he does love and trust her since it was Helm's fault she apparently did the bouncy with him. (Damn, that Tymora is lucky!!!)...

one thing I have to say now before I vent on:

BOLLOCKS!!!!

This is so Dynasty that it isn't even funny, although Joan Collins's role of the manipulative bitch goes to Cyric...dunno many more of the characters since I tried to erase that particular part of my TV-past.

Tyr, deity of JUSTICE, is as unjust as can be, hell, he makes Bane look like a just guy! Maybe Bane will get the Justice portfolio, because at least you know with him and his followers that if the wrong guy dies the prices have been met by the other party!!!

As I said before, WotC's designers have a knack for the obvious (-ly stupid!!!!)... Instead of using mythology as a basis, they basically looked at Big Brother and other BS that is on TV and used that for inspiration. Instead of doing something reasonable (well more reasonable since offing the deities is a bunch of crap anyway just to make new players more secure!) they, again (if that word can be applied since the nonsense is in the same book as Mystra's death), try everything in their power to PISS OFF everyone who loves the Realms because of this diversity and feels left abandoned by the powers that be (in this case WotC). Sure, simplicity makes this...well..simple. But I wonder if Diablo II has the same replayability value as say Baldur's Gate II? Baldur's Gate can be played again and again to the end, because it is about story, and not, like Diablo II, about kicking butt and taking...well, items!

Soap-opera is something some people can enjoy and follow avidly, I admit that much, hell, it can depict something worth the while... at least as long as stories don't repeat themselves. In GHotR we see the same BS repeated three or so times within 2 or 3 years... Once, sure we could've dealt with that, although I would have preferred Lolth dying over Vhaeraun, but that is only as far as I am willing to go in terms of originality.

What happens next? Will Tyr change from the good of Law and Justice, to be the god of blind, dumb luck? Will Siamorphe see that being Sune's love-toy ain't as much fun as it was with the Triad? Will Tymora deny every lawyer on Faerūn the luck they need to find the evidence to actually get a suspect walk? And finally: will WotC realize that this and all their other grand ideas are actually owned by some tele-novela-company in Brazil?

that's all folks...rant over

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  19:55:34  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh Yay! I have been waiting for this!

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Ranak
Learned Scribe

USA
190 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  20:48:48  Show Profile  Visit Ranak's Homepage Send Ranak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haven't they reversed that decision, with Helm staying and Tyr out? I remember Rich prognosticating about this sometime back.

It probably would have been better if they just said some deities disappeared instead of trying to explain it. The divine cannot be explained. This would have been a much better way to nuke the cast off gods in 4ed, leaving some mystery to be explored, or heavens, even letting the DMs decide (sort of like the Dawn Cataclysm).

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

I must admit, Mystra's death-nonsense was the proverbial bitch-slap to the face, but Tyr offing Helm cuz Helm apparently was all over Tymora... where to begin?

What happens next? Will Tyr change from the good of Law and Justice, to be the god of blind, dumb luck? Will Siamorphe see that being Sune's love-toy ain't as much fun as it was with the Triad? Will Tymora deny every lawyer on Faerūn the luck they need to find the evidence to actually get a suspect walk? And finally: will WotC realize that this and all their other grand ideas are actually owned by some tele-novela-company in Brazil?

Edited by - Ranak on 04 Jan 2008 20:49:24
Go to Top of Page

sparhawk42
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  23:01:39  Show Profile  Visit sparhawk42's Homepage Send sparhawk42 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ranak

Haven't they reversed that decision, with Helm staying and Tyr out? I remember Rich prognosticating about this sometime back.

It probably would have been better if they just said some deities disappeared instead of trying to explain it. The divine cannot be explained. This would have been a much better way to nuke the cast off gods in 4ed, leaving some mystery to be explored, or heavens, even letting the DMs decide (sort of like the Dawn Cataclysm).

quote:

I thought Helm was still dead and Torm was taking the place of Tyr. But even this is not definite yet as far as I have heard.

You never fail until you stop trying.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2008 :  23:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's correct. Helm is definitely dead and that isn't going to change. Torm is likely to replace Tyr and become a Greater God as per what Rich Baker has said on the matter, but I don't think we can take that as an official, set-in-stone confirmation yet.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  00:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Sune suggests a political marriage between Tymora and Tyr...hell the first two letters of their names match, so that can't be wrong.

Great rant, thank you!

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  00:09:12  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Helm's death is "kinda" canon as it's been printed in the Grand History tome. Sounds rather stupid, IMO. Just because Helm is a stick in the mud kinda guy doesn't mean he should be offed like that.... This is more for one of those murder shows on Court TV (now trutv- whatta lame name!) than the Realms.... Or for newspapers.

"God kills another god in jealous rage"

Film at 11

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3567 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  03:36:47  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mace, That was Freakin' Awesome my friend!! I am going o have to think long and hard as to what you should rant about next

As usual you make more sense than many a designer
Is it too much to ask that characters or even dieties act according to how they have been written for years?

Favorite part was when you Said Cyric filled the bitchy Joan Collins role. I always felt that deep down inside Cyric was a little bitch!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2008 :  08:21:06  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cyric: "Don com no near me mang! I cut yoo good mang!"

He's the effiminate, leg-shavin', bandana-wearing jailbird secretly wishing for punishment by strong, hairy, and manly hands.
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  05:32:44  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad I voted "yes" in the poll. :)

I'm planning on spending part of my rather pleasant Sunday re-imagining the events from the Year of Wild Magic onwards. I've decided there will be, inter alia, no Rage of Dragons and certainly none of the other later "soap opera" events. I don't allow Jerry Springer on my TV; I certainly don't want the spirit of Jerry Springer corrupting the pantheon of "my" Realms.

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  21:53:37  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eremite

I don't allow Jerry Springer on my TV; I certainly don't want the spirit of Jerry Springer corrupting the pantheon of "my" Realms.

Well said!

Now, how about Steve Wilkos?
Go to Top of Page

Theophilus
Learned Scribe

Australia
143 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  00:07:59  Show Profile  Visit Theophilus's Homepage Send Theophilus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Cyric: "Don com no near me mang! I cut yoo good mang!"

He's the effiminate, leg-shavin', bandana-wearing jailbird secretly wishing for punishment by strong, hairy, and manly hands.

PDK - it sounds like your speaking from experience here

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  01:42:47  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Huh... "Shut up mang! shut up!!! I'll cut yoo good mang!"

Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  14:56:24  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well said, Mace. Rant on...

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Jan 2008 :  15:48:53  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent rant. I agree completely with it.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wyvernspur
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  23:32:01  Show Profile  Visit Wyvernspur's Homepage Send Wyvernspur a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd be glad to off Tyr as well being a stolen God from some Finnish Mythos and Torm was always better in my opinion with his whole lion headed thing going on. I mean how many deities of Law and Justice and Paladins do we need....You'd think they'd just kinda merge up eventually as people started saying, "Hey you believe in smiting the undead and evil? So do I and you worship and anal rentive god who will take away your powers if you even consider not killing a goblin? Me to are you sure we don't worship the same God?"

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  20:13:37  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always been of the impression that the gods in FR should have ALWAYS been off stage.

Always! Always! Always!

I really haven't been satisfied with any deity presentation, though Cyric's triumph in the "Trial of Cyric the Mad" (or whatever) was decent(and I've always rolled with that being the "true Cyric", which works for me). I also enjoyed Mask's actions during the ToT (not after though, his actions after just make me sick)

I would FAR prefer the deities being deities (not cheap soap characters, good analogy Mace) and the churches being the focus. I'd love to see more regional churches as well (ie. more along the lines of the Zhent Banites vs the Mulmaster Banites, except for almost all religions) and the political fighting between the churches.

But, well, I don't expect that to happen and I'm pretty sure that I won't be picking up many FR books in the future. Which is really sad, really, really sad.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  20:57:47  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you like Mask, you should read the Ervis Cale series.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2008 :  21:27:06  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I've read one book with Cale in it and I wasn't very inspired by the whole jam (he fights some dragon in the plane of shadows and some . . . dude, I forget, some dude important to shar). So I just can't bring myself to do that. I've also heard that Mask makes appearances in the books and I just can't stand most of the portrayals of Mask I've ever read (God of Intrigue huh? Really? Is that because you suck at it so much?).

Hubris is one thing. Being driven by your portfolio is another. However, even I can't justify some of the things they've had him do. (and I came up with an explanation for the Great Tree that I liked and fit. . . at least fit as far as I know)

But I do appreciate the advice! I guess I'm all trigger happy like Mace, ready to rant about the stupidity of deities. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  00:23:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

I've read one book with Cale in it and I wasn't very inspired by the whole jam (he fights some dragon in the plane of shadows and some . . . dude, I forget, some dude important to shar). So I just can't bring myself to do that. I've also heard that Mask makes appearances in the books and I just can't stand most of the portrayals of Mask I've ever read (God of Intrigue huh? Really? Is that because you suck at it so much?).

Hubris is one thing. Being driven by your portfolio is another. However, even I can't justify some of the things they've had him do. (and I came up with an explanation for the Great Tree that I liked and fit. . . at least fit as far as I know)

But I do appreciate the advice! I guess I'm all trigger happy like Mace, ready to rant about the stupidity of deities. ;)

Actually, he lost Intrigue to Cyric.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  15:56:33  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm mostly speaking of his actions in. . . oh, the one before the Trial. I forget the name, but the one where the Big Bad Book o' Cyric was made.

And, even if he's lost the portfolio he should still have plenty of skill at Intrigue. :)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  16:12:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ShadezofDis

quote:

I'm mostly speaking of his actions in. . . oh, the one before the Trial. I forget the name, but the one where the Big Bad Book o' Cyric was made.

And, even if he's lost the portfolio he should still have plenty of skill at Intrigue. :)

But he lost it because of his intrigues -- so he's been getting away from that, and going for the direct approach.

Though I still hope that the whole Spellplague turns out to have been instigated by Mask, manipulating the others to get Intrigue back. I think that would make a lot of things work better -- especially if Shar takes the power hit that I theorize she will.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  16:43:29  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But he lost it because of his intrigues -- so he's been getting away from that, and going for the direct approach.

Totally accurate. Which is why it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth.

quote:
Though I still hope that the whole Spellplague turns out to have been instigated by Mask, manipulating the others to get Intrigue back. I think that would make a lot of things work better -- especially if Shar takes the power hit that I theorize she will.

I just can't get into reading about the Gods direct actions anymore. I can believe the level of incompetence in mortals and I've done some mental dancing in order to justify, in my mind, some of the actions taken by the Gods (basically, various gods interfering with each other making it so they aren't really able to make good decisions) but. . . well. . . I'm sorta sick of doing that.

It is, completely, a personal preference and I've done a lot of thinking on how to square cannon with my own views on what the Gods should be but the more I think about it, the more I come up with reasons and qualities that would justify, in my mind, cannon the less I have a desire to read that latest of the Gods actions.

But again, it's just my preference. And while it's a very strong preference I don't think it should take precedence over any other persons preferences <unless I'm running the game ;)>.

Damn, I'm long winded. ;)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  21:22:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know who the real victim is in all of this? The poor guy that nobody remembers? Brandobaris. That's right. Sure his fling with Tymora was on again off again, but he was about to show up with nice shinny ring that he palmed out of Task's hoard and was going to ask her to move into his place in the Green Fields.

Sure, Tymora was a little miffed about the succubus incident, and when she wanted a commitment, all he did was clear out a drawer for her in the bathroom for when she stayed over at his place, but how could she get involved with not one, but two other gods! And Lawful ones to boot!

Yeah, its a tragedy what happed between Tyr and Helm . . . but nobody remembers the little guy.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2008 :  23:12:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*chuckles* Too true.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  09:23:31  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

You know who the real victim is in all of this? The poor guy that nobody remembers? Brandobaris. That's right. Sure his fling with Tymora was on again off again, but he was about to show up with nice shinny ring that he palmed out of Task's hoard and was going to ask her to move into his place in the Green Fields.

Sure, Tymora was a little miffed about the succubus incident, and when she wanted a commitment, all he did was clear out a drawer for her in the bathroom for when she stayed over at his place, but how could she get involved with not one, but two other gods! And Lawful ones to boot!

Yeah, its a tragedy what happed between Tyr and Helm . . . but nobody remembers the little guy.

Well, with the changes happening right now, what do you expect happening to a halfling except for it being given the boot. Otherwise people would think it was a hairy footed hobbit.

And before you all start throwing things at me, some jokes are so bad that they just have to be told.
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  15:14:22  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Yeah, one of the things that get me about this is that Tymora seems a really left-field choice. As has been said, so far as "balancing" she seems drastic overcompensation for Siamorphe, and if they really wanted a Triad-Brightwater wedding even Sharess would seem to be a somewhat more likely candidate given that she's tried to seduce Ilmater (and for that matter is also a demipower). And correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Tymora is the one Brightwater goddess who already has a major established relationship? What's the point of breaking that without even (apparently) mentioning it?

Now I've got the whacked-out image of Brandobaris trying to pull something to mess things up, it backfiring horribly and leading to dead Helm, and his semi-framing Cyric in a panic.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2008 :  23:30:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, with the changes happening right now, what do you expect happening to a halfling except for it being given the boot. Otherwise people would think it was a hairy footed hobbit.

And before you all start throwing things at me, some jokes are so bad that they just have to be told.

I thought it was funny.

Go to Top of Page

Ardashir
Senior Scribe

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  00:18:40  Show Profile  Visit Ardashir's Homepage Send Ardashir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe, just maybe, Elminster jumps out of the pond next to his tower (well, he did rebuild it of course...duh) and the Simbul wakes up in his bed and asks him if everything is all right...

I thought that was already happening every few days or so?

More seriously, count me as among the bummed over the destruction of the Triad. And why the heck would Ilmater, God of Suffering and Endurance, hang up his hat with Sune anyway? Aren't they almost polar opposites?
Go to Top of Page

TobyKikami
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2008 :  19:33:49  Show Profile  Visit TobyKikami's Homepage Send TobyKikami a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ardashir

quote:

Maybe, just maybe, Elminster jumps out of the pond next to his tower (well, he did rebuild it of course...duh) and the Simbul wakes up in his bed and asks him if everything is all right...

I thought that was already happening every few days or so?

More seriously, count me as among the bummed over the destruction of the Triad. And why the heck would Ilmater, God of Suffering and Endurance, hang up his hat with Sune anyway? Aren't they almost polar opposites?
Maybe Sharess finally managed to persuade him?

What I'm wondering now is why, if Sune's really so fired-up about the balance, she'd agree to take him in without trying to, I don't know, marry off Lliira to Torm or something.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2008 :  21:51:50  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The one thing I'm gonna comment on this topic is this:

I find it strangely amusing that the punishment for killing a deity is much, much less severe than if you go murder a commoner in Waterdeep. Lol.

Look at the recent deaths of deities. Nobody got punished for the murder of Leira. Everyone just sort of accepted that Tyr killing off Helm, even though it is total "bullocks" as Mace Hammerhand said. And then there's Cyric getting house arrest for killing Mystra.

Man, where's Ao when you need him?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000