Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do you explain RP?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:07:06  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
The subject of RP has come up at work, mostly because we were discussing hobbies, and I tried to explain about FR and RP. They think I'm crazy. The only RP and fantasy they understand is...well, you know.

So the question is, how do you explain what we do to someone who has never so much as read a fantasy adventure novel?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:50:00  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe explain that like interactif theater... thats what I do... Like improvisation. But the better way to explain is to make them try ;)

Can compare to mystery and murder games too...

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french born

The courage to follow our dreams is the first step to achieve our destiny

The tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  02:54:41  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Best explanation I've come up with is this:

Imagine you're an author writing a novel. You invite your buddies over to decide what the main characters are doing. Now, add in some dice rolling, pizza, drink of choice, and you're set.

When I told my wife I was into roleplaying, I bet she was a bit dismayed with all the books

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  03:22:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a story like a TV show or a play where you make the decisions.
It's like telling jokes and stories, or the way you play a role in different social situations, but with continuity.
It's making your own art/entertainment with your friends, rather than consuming it.
It's part of the ancient tradition of oral storytelling, but collaborative.
It's like sexual roleplaying, but with a broader range of plots.
It's like the make-believe you played as children before disfunctional misanthropic puritan rationalist fantasies of adulthood told you to stop.

Depends on what reference points your colleagues have.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  03:28:28  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Darkmeer

Best explanation I've come up with is this:

Imagine you're an author writing a novel. You invite your buddies over to decide what the main characters are doing. Now, add in some dice rolling, pizza, drink of choice, and you're set.

That's the classical bad definition called "The Impossible Thing Before Breakfast" by Ron Edwards (the GNS guy).

The other classical bad definition is "acting". Acting is part of what RP is, but RP is not limited to acting.

To the O.P. take a look at these websites for a good definition to RP :

http://www.darkshire.net/~jhkim/rpg/theory/glossary/
http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/

I won't add more because the mods have said many times that RPG design/theory discussion is not welcomed on these boards.

Edited by - Skeptic on 08 Dec 2007 03:31:20
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  17:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Think cops & robbers and/or cowboys & indians which were played when we were younger, take away the spacial component and add rules everyone has to use...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  18:52:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also include mention of psychodrama for those who understand that concept. Player characters can act out a player's Shadow (I mean, come on! who hasn't secretly wanted to rob graves and raise undead minions to do one's bidding as part of one's plans for world conquest, hmmm?).

Years ago "60 Minutes" did an "expose" of Dungeons & Dragons, citing a few examples of head cases who had committed murder or suicide and who also happened to play D&D. I used their own statistics for harmful events and applied it to the data in the World Almanac and came to the conclusion that a D&D player was several thousand time less likely to commit suicide than a non-player. D&D is an extremely healthy outlet for acting out fantasies which would be unacceptable in polite society (such as Thog the Barbarian wearing the same loincloth without washing it for six years -- what guy hasn't wanted to do that, eh?). I'm not arguing the merits of D&D, just offering one example of how to explain the game to some people who might consider themselves too well-educated or too "cool" to play it.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  20:54:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Think cops & robbers and/or cowboys & indians which were played when we were younger, take away the spacial component and add rules everyone has to use...

That sounds about right. Combined with the idea of some elements of childhood fantasizing if course.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2007 :  20:58:14  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens
Combined with the idea of some elements of childhood fantasizing of course.

Indeed, the basic element of role-playing is a shared imagined universe.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  00:11:55  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, "it's like the make-believe you played as children (before disfunctional misanthropic puritan rationalist fantasies of adulthood told you to stop)", in "a shared imagined universe" "with rules everybody has to use"?

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  00:19:21  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rp is like playing a role in a movie ...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  01:36:55  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

So, it's like the make-believe you played as children in a shared imagined universe with rules everybody has to use?

Yeah (basically).

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

No (see my previous post).

Edited by - Skeptic on 09 Dec 2007 01:42:18
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  02:33:16  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like playing pretend with rules where plot directions can be decided on the outcome of dice rolls.

Mostly just people sitting around a table talking, eating, drinking, and rolling dice.

Evilknight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:08:18  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

It's a story like a TV show or a play where you make the decisions.
It's like telling jokes and stories, or the way you play a role in different social situations, but with continuity.
It's making your own art/entertainment with your friends, rather than consuming it.
It's part of the ancient tradition of oral storytelling, but collaborative.
It's like sexual roleplaying, but with a broader range of plots.
It's like the make-believe you played as children before disfunctional misanthropic puritan rationalist fantasies of adulthood told you to stop.

I love this response.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  04:11:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
I'm not arguing the merits of D&D, just offering one example of how to explain the game to some people who might consider themselves too well-educated or too "cool" to play it.

On that note (education), I'm amazed at how many new things I've learned (like obsure vocabulary words) thanks to this hobby.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  21:10:05  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by BARDOBARBAROS

No (see my previous post).

While I personally don't RP I don't belive that there are any right or wrong ways to describe it, it varies from person to person. Ok some extremes like to describe it as satanistic may be wrong, but thats besides my point.

Edited by - Nimriel on 09 Dec 2007 21:12:47
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  21:14:59  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nimriél
While I personally don't RP I don't belive that there are any right or wrong ways to describe it, it varies from person to person. Ok some extremes like to describe it as satanistic may be wrong, but thats besides my point.

Well, some argues that the Earth isn't spherical but flat, so I guess it's right to say that for some role-playing is equals to acting.

Edited by - Skeptic on 09 Dec 2007 21:17:15
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2007 :  21:28:40  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He didn't say it equals to acting, he sayd it was like Rp is like playing a role in a movie, not being Viggo Mortensen in the set of LotR but being Aragon in the movie. Of course that just my take.

Besides FES has some compeling evidence(photos of earth from the moon).

Edited by - Nimriel on 09 Dec 2007 21:34:29
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  00:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

quote:
Originally posted by Nimriél

Well, some argues that the Earth isn't spherical but flat, so I guess it's right to say that for some role-playing is equals to acting.

That's quite an apposite comparison.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  01:30:19  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
That's quite an apposite comparison.

I was just trying to attack the common accepted idea that role-playing can't be described/definited in pretty exact terms in a funny way.

Edited by - Skeptic on 10 Dec 2007 01:30:37
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  12:35:55  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think what Skeptic is trying to say, in a not so kind way (maybe that is why such discussions aren't welcome on the board....) is that roleplaying is not like playing a part in a movie, because the actors don't write their own lines. It would be better to compare roleplaying to free form theater, than a movie.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  13:26:28  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wenin

I think what Skeptic is trying to say, in a not so kind way (maybe that is why such discussions aren't welcome on the board....) is that roleplaying is not like playing a part in a movie, because the actors don't write their own lines. It would be better to compare roleplaying to free form theater, than a movie.

And what I'm trying to say is Acting and Being ina movie is two different things, you aren't an actor playing the character, you are the character.
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  13:27:05  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And what I'm trying to say is Acting and Being in a movie is two different things, you aren't an actor playing the character, you are the character.

Edited by - Nimriel on 10 Dec 2007 13:27:25
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  14:30:06  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unfortunatly, that's not so simple, because when comparing movie making to role-playing, the result is often the famous "Impossible Thing Before Breakfast".

Also, you can have role-playing without having the participants being authors of a story. Two cases :

1) Sometimes the story is already written by somebody else.

2) Simply because the result of any role-playing session is not guaranteed to be a story, i.e. having addressed a premise.

Like I said above, all you need to have role-playing is some participants sharing a imagined universe (in opposition with a board game). However, different kinds of RPG adds a different mindset on top of it, some having a lot in common with board games (that's the tricky part).

For example, you can have both a RPG and a board game where the focus is on the players guts decisions and strategies.

Edited by - Skeptic on 10 Dec 2007 16:22:45
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  16:58:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If acting has nothing to do whatsoever with roleplaying, than why is "acting" mentioned a few times in the definition for roleplaying on dictionary.com?

Also, there are other types of acting besides acting in a movie...just so you all know.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  17:07:18  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Before my wife got into Roleplaying, she called it "playing house." And even though it is an oversimplification of the concept, in a way we are "playing house." However, often plot forces us to leave that house and go split some orc heads (wait, is orc no longer a politically correct race to kill? Then I meant "gnoll" heads).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  17:08:15  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If acting has nothing to do whatsoever with roleplaying, than why is "acting" mentioned a few times in the definition for roleplaying on dictionary.com?

In a previous post, I said that acting is a component of role-playing. (But I'm not sure I would say it's a essential one)

Can you copy this defition in your post so we can discuss it ?

By the way, when I say role-playing, I'm assuming the context is a table top role-playing game (i.e. including D&D not not limited to).

Edited by - Skeptic on 10 Dec 2007 17:14:45
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  17:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

In a previous post, I said that acting is a component of role-playing. (But I'm not sure I would say it's a essential one)

Can you copy this defition in your post so we can discuss it ?

By the way, when I say role-playing, I'm assuming the context is a table top role-playing game (i.e. including D&D not not limited to).

But the term "roleplaying game" must have come from somewhere.

The definition can be found on dictionary.com. I'm really not inclined to debate the topic any further, because I don't want to, and because it's already very close to the banned topic of "What type of gaming constitutes 'real' D&D?"

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 10 Dec 2007 18:30:06
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  19:49:04  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I'm not arguing the merits of D&D, just offering one example of how to explain the game to some people who might consider themselves too well-educated or too "cool" to play it.

On that note (education), I'm amazed at how many new things I've learned (like obsure vocabulary words) thanks to this hobby.

Darn tootin! From reading FR novels I've learned the correct pronunciation of several words which I had long mis-pronounced, and also learned the correct grammatical use of a couple (which I looked up in a dictionary).

Need I say that one learns a VAST amount of Medieval history by preparing games or researching a good background for a character? (AD&D's Unearthed Arcana appendix taught me more about polearms and their nomenclature than almost anyone else I know.)

But should D&D be described as "educational" to non-gamers? (To their parents, maybe, but to them...?)

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  19:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But should D&D be described as "educational" to non-gamers? (To their parents, maybe, but to them...?)

Great question. I don't think so, personally, because calling a game "educational" implies that there's another agenda behind it other than simply having fun (and, IMO, implies that "just having fun" simply isn't a valuable use of time).

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  20:00:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Great question. I don't think so, personally, because calling a game "educational" implies that there's another agenda behind it other than simply having fun (and, IMO, implies that "just having fun" simply isn't a valuable use of time).

I agree, the purpose of games (in general) is to have fun. I learned English partially because of D&D, but that was never the purpose.

Btw..

Saying that the purpose of a game is fun shouldn't be confused with identifying the goal of a particular game.

The goal of chess is to put the adversary in a check-mate position, the goal of Monopoly is to be rich enough to make the others agree that the game is over (no one really play it up to the end ), etc.

Of course, identifying to goal of a role-playing game seems more difficult...

Edited by - Skeptic on 10 Dec 2007 20:07:35
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000