Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 How do you explain RP?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  20:08:41  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm seeing where this is going, and can now understand why it's a banned topic. =)

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  22:48:41  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I never meant for this to start a debate (which could get banned). I was really just trying to get ideas for how to explain to non-gamers.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2007 :  23:43:16  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brynweir

I never meant for this to start a debate (which could get banned). I was really just trying to get ideas for how to explain to non-gamers.

The only suggestion I could make to you if you want to introduce non-gamers to roleplaying, is to not begin with D&D (or one of his relatives).

Don't get me wrong, D&D can be a very fun game, it's just so sad that many people think that D&D = RPG and RPG = D&D.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  00:30:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course, some of us think D&D is a fine RPG system, and would happily recommend it to any and all newcomers. Thirty-plus years of existence, with millions of people all over the world having enjoyed it, is a pretty positive recommendation.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  00:39:09  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was introduced to RP through D&D in college and I LOVE it! I've played a few other systems and they don't seem to have the richness, the flavor you find with the D&D system. Just MHO.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  01:07:39  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Don't get me wrong, D&D can be a very fun game, it's just so sad that many people think that D&D = RPG and RPG = D&D.

I know, it's just twagic.

Brynweir, introduce non-gamers to D&D and let them roleplay their characters to their heart's desire.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2007 :  06:36:12  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, D&D (to me) is/was a great Role-playing game, but not the best Role-playing system. Other games did a better job if you are more of the story-oriented type. D&D was a fun and exciting game, constructed to be just that.
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  04:11:38  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may point you in a few directions. Fear the Boot (www.feartheboot.com) had a podcast recently on this subject. I would also point out The Harrow RPG section (http://www.theharrow.com/rpg/). What Is Roleplaying? is a good article found there.

EvilKnight

Danali Index
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  06:37:55  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

D&D was a fun and exciting game, constructed to be just that.

Oh, I'm finally not alone here
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  06:40:31  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by EvilKnight

If I may point you in a few directions. Fear the Boot (www.feartheboot.com) had a podcast recently on this subject. I would also point out The Harrow RPG section (http://www.theharrow.com/rpg/). What Is Roleplaying? is a good article found there.

I've given a read to the Harrow RPG section. IMHO, the answer given for "what is roleplaying", including the examples of actual play are to be avoided. If someone wants to know why, use PM.

Edited by - Skeptic on 13 Dec 2007 06:40:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000