Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerun Idol: Who makes the deity cut for 4E
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  04:34:14  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
If I had to guess who would be chopped, here's my picks on the end for those deities whom are now going to be the remaining ones.

New Realms Pantheon

1. Silvanus
2. Talos
3. Shar
4. Selune
5. Sune
6. Lolth
7. Corellon
8. Moradin
9. Garl
10. Tyr
11. Gruumsh
12. Akadi
13. Istishia
14. Kossuth
15. Grumbar
16. Cyric
17. Chauntea
18. Ubatao
19. Asmodeus
20. Lathander
21. Ilmater
22. Kelemvor
23. Istishia
24. Oghma
25. Tempus
26. Mask
27. Ghaunadaur
28. Siamorphe
29. Tymora
30. Yondalla

I confess, the idea of Torm not being a Realms Pantheon member is beyond anger inspiring but I included all the deities of note from the Grand History of the Realms and the Greater Deities that will now inhabit the Elemental Chaos.

I'm twitching at some of the omissions in my own list to be frank. Honestly, at the lowest I'd want to include the following deities.

1. Torm
2. Eilistraee
3. Bahamut
4. Set (Go Greenwood- Get rid of the rest of the Pantheon)
5. Loviatar
6. Velsharoon
7. Azuth
8. Tiamat
9. Talona
10. Beshaba

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/

Edited by - Charles Phipps on 08 Nov 2007 10:44:30

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36792 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  05:03:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other than the big ones, like Lathander, Selûne, and Tymora, the minor ones that I hope survive are Lurue, Nobanion, and Finder Wyvernspur.

I also want it to be revealed that Bane is really dead, and Xvim has been masquerading as him.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  05:29:26  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As you've mentioned before, Wooly.
I imagine a lot of the demigods and a few lesser powers will be reduced to "aspects", deities like Finder, Lurue, Red Knight, and possibly Torm, but I'm hoping they stick around regardless of mechanic or semantics.
I'm still crossing my fingers and hoping that Azuth doesn't get knocked off, despite having been flung into the Astral Plane. He's part of the reason I like the big-ol' Faerûnian pantheon over the genericized Greyhawk or Eber-what's-it's "generic deity of magic". Azuth is the patron not of the power of Art, but of the people who wield it, their spells, constructions, and creations. I think it's an important distinction to make, and it'd be disappointing to see the new magic system with a singular deity of magic.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  07:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, Torm and Tyr's separation is an important part of the Realms. The wide eyed Luke Skywalker God vs. the Stern Patriarch type. His absence is a major change that is in no way a welcome one. It would suck tremendously to have Siamorphe be a major goddess and him just a servitor.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36792 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  10:16:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daviot

As you've mentioned before, Wooly.
I imagine a lot of the demigods and a few lesser powers will be reduced to "aspects", deities like Finder, Lurue, Red Knight, and possibly Torm, but I'm hoping they stick around regardless of mechanic or semantics.

Yeah, I fear that the lesser deities I named are destined to be scrapped -- and it sucks, because they are all faves. Lurue, in particular, is my fave Realms deity.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  12:21:03  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, if you think about it logically, this is the list I get.

Selúne, Shar and Chauntea are mandatory for the Realms, so that's the first three. I view Shar and Selúne as the primordial good and evil forces in the Realms, and Chauntea is Toril, so we rather need her. We know the Zhents are still around, so that means Bane and Cyric are in. Mask we need for Erevis Cale, Melikki for Drizzt. That's seven. Shar would get Loviatar and Talona as servants, Selúne gets Valkur.

Sune and... Ilmater are sitting in Brightwater, along with Waukeen, who gets Shaundakul as a servant. I don't see Lliira or Sharess surviving as independent goddesses, which annoys me no end, but nothing much you can do about it. Now up to ten. Not sure what will happen to Siamorphe, she's got a mention in the Grand History, but she's not really big enough to be one of the thirty gods. I think she might be a servant of Sune.

Lathander, Torm and Tyr are probably going to make it too, although Lathander might end up being merged with Amaunator, or revealed to be Amaunator. Torm you need for the classical chivalrous knight concept, and Tyr is the law. Tymora has to be in, in which case you need her counter, Beshaba in somewhere. She's just powerful enough to get in as an independant god. Fifteen now.

Kelemvor is obviously needed, he will probably have Jergal as a servant. Up to Sixteen.

We need a God of Bards, so Oghma's in. Denier will likely become a servant of him. Finder as well.

Silvanus gets in as we need another god of the Wilds, particularly a neutral one. Every other nature god will probably get to be a servant of him. So servant duty for Lurue, Gwaeron and Shiallia. Eighteen now.

Tempus is again, mandatory, probably with Red Knight as a servant. Garagos is an interesting one, though I think they may play him up as an aspect of Tempus, but opposed to him. Either way, he's not making it as an independent. So, nineteen.

Kossuth gets in, due to his connections with Thay and interest in the Realms, but the other Elemental Deities don't. They just don't have enough influence in the Realms to be really relevant, or the desire to do anything in the Realms.

Malar's in, if only to oppose Selúne and because of his hatred towards the Elves. Talos gets thrown in too.

So that's twenty two, independent gods in the pantheon. Add in the Demi-human pantheons, and we can hit thirty.

Corellon is likely to be the only Elven God in, with the others mearly becoming aspects of him. Though, Angharradh may make the cut, being of great importance to the Moon Elves.

Lolth and Eilistraee have to make it too, given how much importance WoTC put on the Drow. Though Eilistraee may be much weaker then she should be.

Yondalla can be the only Halfling specific god. The rest of the Pantheon are referred to as Yondalla's children, after all, so they can just be aspects of her. Garl Glittergold is the only Gnomish God, with the others being relegated to aspects. For the Dwarves, we have Moradin. The others get to be aspects of him. And finally, Gruumsh, as God of the Orcs.

That, in total, brings 30. You cover all the major bases, don't leave any alignment gaps and simplify it all. Of course, Rich Baker did say that new gods will be made to fill in the gaps, so we are likely to see more cuts and more gods becoming servants or aspects of others.

Edited by - Uzzy on 07 Nov 2007 12:21:56
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  12:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think they're less "aspects" and instead going to be pretty much Celestial versions of Archfiends.

Sort of like if they did the Book "House of Knowledge" the ruler of the 4th plane would be Deneir.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  15:29:23  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like plenty of "minor" deities, so I dislike this whole "pruning of the pantheon" thing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36792 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:14:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I like plenty of "minor" deities, so I dislike this whole "pruning of the pantheon" thing.

Ditto!

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36792 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:17:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Well, if you think about it logically, this is the list I get.

Yeah, but we are not privy to the logic being used. What is logical to some of us (especially the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" thing) is obviously not held as logical by some of the designers.

quote:

Selúne, Shar and Chauntea are mandatory for the Realms, so that's the first three. I view Shar and Selúne as the primordial good and evil forces in the Realms, and Chauntea is Toril, so we rather need her. We know the Zhents are still around, so that means Bane and Cyric are in. Mask we need for Erevis Cale, Melikki for Drizzt. That's seven. Shar would get Loviatar and Talona as servants, Selúne gets Valkur.

The Zhents still being around doesn't mean both of their deities will be. They ran for years on just one deity...

And before this whole 4E mess, I would have said that Mystra was mandatory for the Realms. The fact that she isn't kinda means that it's all up in the air.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  16:48:27  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They are most likely pruning the pantheon to renew interest and not make a new player look at the mountain of information. I agree with the major players still be included. But Lurue... I mean, she really doesn't do much. The Red Knight... same. I mean, we all have personal opinions on them, but in light of the fact we know they will be pruned, we'll just have to accept that their aspects will just be sucked up by some of the greater dieties.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:03:32  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

They are most likely pruning the pantheon to renew interest and not make a new player look at the mountain of information.

That is definitely one reason (although I can't say I agree with their rationale).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:03:53  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

We need a God of Bards, so Oghma's in. Denier will likely become a servant of him. Finder as well.

Lolth and Eilistraee have to make it too, given how much importance WoTC put on the Drow. Though Eilistraee may be much weaker then she should be.

Eilistraee could take this role of Bards (of course right now 4th does not have Bards), she favors them now and it looks like her daddy is going to become deity of many races.

All in all the latist triolgy theme is only one will survive of these will survive, however that is not set in stone/canon yet. We need to see book three. *shrugs*

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

frapast1981
Acolyte

Italy
29 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:04:41  Show Profile  Visit frapast1981's Homepage Send frapast1981 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

They are most likely pruning the pantheon to renew interest and not make a new player look at the mountain of information. I agree with the major players still be included. But Lurue... I mean, she really doesn't do much. The Red Knight... same. I mean, we all have personal opinions on them, but in light of the fact we know they will be pruned, we'll just have to accept that their aspects will just be sucked up by some of the greater dieties.

C-Fb

I think that you may be correct, but it's its extensive lore that make Faerun so charming (this is my opinion).
The minor deites take care of they portfolio so if you are going to make some tactical decision you will pray to Red Knight: it's something that add a decisive element to roleplay (in my opinion).
But, as you say, we'll just have to accept and make our own Forgotten Realms be what we want it to be.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  17:23:14  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I totally agree, my friend. I have been a FR fan since first edition. I have done so much reading and perusing in my time. :P I just think that if people want to make the jump to 4e (which I won't due to my WoW time), they will just have to accept, or do a lot of house rules. I love the lore in the game. All three of my Pomeranians are named after FR characters (Szass, Fzoul, and Azoun). But, times change, the market changes... think about the age range of the people on this board right now... some of us are in the teens, 20s, 30s, 40s.. etc. Change is always tough when it's something so beloved by so many. But a lot of us went from 2e to 3.x, and a good many of us will make the 4e jump. :)

Just take whatcha want and do with the rest what you please.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  18:35:11  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Other than the big ones, like Lathander, Selûne, and Tymora, the minor ones that I hope survive are Lurue, Nobanion, and Finder Wyvernspur.

Ditto for Finder. Other than that I don't really have any hopes since my three most favorite gods(Mystra, Gorm Gulthym and Helm) got whacked. I mean, what are the odds? There are three gods that I find particularly awesome, and it's precisely those gods who get chopped.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy

Edited by - khorne on 07 Nov 2007 18:36:00
Go to Top of Page

Ayunken-vanzan
Senior Scribe

Germany
657 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  18:38:51  Show Profile  Visit Ayunken-vanzan's Homepage Send Ayunken-vanzan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope they will not get rid of the dragon gods. Bahamut and Tiamat are must haves in my opinion. I would dearly miss them.

"What mattered our lives now? When our world had been torn from us? Folk wept, or drank, or stood staring out over the land, wondering what new horror each dawn would bring."
Elender Stormfall of Suzail

"Anyone can kill deities, cause plagues, or destroy organizations. It takes real skill to make them live on."
Varl

FR/D&D-Links 2ed Downloads
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  18:44:07  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayunken-vanzan

I really hope they will not get rid of the dragon gods. Bahamut and Tiamat are must haves in my opinion. I would dearly miss them.

Well, Bahamut has become the god of Paladins in 4e, so it is unlikely that they are going to remove him from the Realms now that he is Core.
Article on 4e Core Pantheon

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  18:54:17  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, with Bahamut and Tiamat, they have been a staple since 1st edition, I doubt the will take them out of the game. And worst come to worst, they will always be part of the core group of deities and will make an easier transition. :)

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11803 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2007 :  19:29:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The way I see it is this. I personally don't like the idea of players being able to kill a deity. However, there's this gap between player power and deity power, such that its very unbelievable that players would even get near the ability to even begin challenging deities. At the same time, I'm sorry, but I don't think Finder should be a deity. Very powerful servitor of a deity who might be considered an Arch-Saint within the church? Sure... but he got his power by killing a "deity" and he should be killable as well.
So, in the end, no I don't want players being able to off Tyr. However, Torm could be a very powerful servitor of Tyr's priesthood who manages much of Tyr's resources... and he could be a target for a very powerful group of PC's (i.e. a trio of 30th lvl PC's should be able to make him run). The problem comes that you can't have these powerful beings and NOT tie their hands somehow. Otherwise, why doesn't Torm... working as a servant of Tyr... just come down to Toril and smack down Manshoon. In becoming immortal, are they forbidden by Ao from assaulting a mortal or they lose their immortality (unless they are assaulted first)? Can they no longer leave their home "celestial realm" or whatever planes will be? If they can't assault a mortal or control a mortal, what are the evil ones doing? These rules need to be decided.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  00:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, my biggest hope from the pruning is that we're going to get the Faerun: Manual of the Planes that will describe the various planes that we never got detailed in the main books of 3E. Handling them in a manner similiar to the books describing Asmodeus' Realm and the Abyss. They obviously would have to cover much more territory in a shorter space than those books but you definitely could.

These books could have Torm and so on described in a manner similiar to Mesphito and so on. They'd be essentially the notch above "Solar Devas" and take the place as the God's right hands there.

As for being able to challenge gods, I think players should be able to and heroes but it'll always be with something purely narrative to do so. For example, Sauron might well be a Demigod of Evil and Corruption in Middle Earth but he is undone when the Ring is destroyed.

Go to Top of Page

Brynweir
Senior Scribe

USA
436 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  00:33:06  Show Profile Send Brynweir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think that the gods should be able to be killed because isn't their strength based on their worshippers. So don't they get weaker if they lose worshippers? (or did I make that up?) Wouldn't it be conceivable that a god grew weak enough for a mortal to defeat?

Also, I'd like to see Torm make it to 4e as well.

Anyone who likes to read something that's really dark and gritty and completely awesome ought to read The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. You can check out a little taste at www.BrentWeeks.com I should probably warn you, though, that it is definitely not PG-13 :-D

He also started a new Trilogy with Black Prism, which may even surpass the Night Angel Trilogy in its awesomeness.

Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  00:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Moander was, literally, without worshipers when Finder finally destroyed him.

Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  00:51:48  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Yeah, but we are not privy to the logic being used. What is logical to some of us (especially the "if it's not broke, don't fix it" thing) is obviously not held as logical by some of the designers.

Oh very true. I tried putting myself in the WoTC designers shoes, thought about what their priorities are (based on their stated aims) and worked from that. Believe me, I don't want the lesser gods to go either! That list is really just a mental exercise and a possible basis for discussion.

quote:
The Zhents still being around doesn't mean both of their deities will be. They ran for years on just one deity...

That they did, though I don't see WoTC ditching Cyric, nor do I see them wanting the Zhents to go back to Cyric. Could be wrong though!

And yes Kentinal, Eilistraee could work as a Goddess of Bards, but I don't see it working that well. Drow are still mainly evil, I'd expect, and having a Drow goddess be the only bardic god? Bit awkward.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  01:02:22  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh very true. I tried putting myself in the WoTC designers shoes, thought about what their priorities are (based on their stated aims) and worked from that. Believe me, I don't want the lesser gods to go either! That list is really just a mental exercise and a possible basis for discussion.

Lol. Every time I attempt to put myself in the R&D Staff's shoes and figure out their motivation for the direction that they are taking the 4e Realms, I start kicking myself for making such a wild gamble.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  06:13:09  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Bane should be since they also put him into the core D&D pantheon. Rich said "It's an appropriate (if grim) finish to the story of Cyric's betrayal begun in the Time of Troubles series. Time to move on and tell new stories about Cyric." So I guess he is in. My question is, since Cyric is supose to be imprisoned for 1000 years for killing Mystra, whats the rules of his emprisionment. If its like when Helm impresoned Mystra in the 'Crucible' then he's as good as dead. What would be left after 1000 years of no contact with your followers.
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  08:16:52  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well he's imprisoned in his Plane, so I assume.

1. Spells work
2. No avatars
3. No leaving his realm to visit other gods
4. Communions and Auguries still work

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  08:58:57  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Charles Phipps

If I had to guess who would be chopped, here's my picks on the end for those deities whom are now going to be the remaining ones.

Nitpicking a bit ...

New Realms Pantheon
6. Lolth
7. Corellon

I too would rank Lolth above Corellon any time

13. Isitia ... ain't that Istishia?
14. Kossoth ... ain't that Kossuth?
15. Grumber ... ain't that Grumbar?

... but yes you are right, the Elemental Deities should all make the cut, even though rarely used.

19. Asmodeus

... not a deity at all! Just an Archdevil with delusions of being divine!

23. Istishia ... nonono ... one Istishia is enough

27. Ghaunadaur ... nonononono ... utterly useless. Off into some Abyssal or Hellish den with that one!

5. Loviatar ... what? Hey, she's IMHo ranking above Shar when it comes to useful evil deities, right next to Mask (well, almost)

10. Beshaba ... heck ... ill-fortune is always something that needs being avoided!

11. Yondalla ... hit me with a bargepole, but you listed the very same little lass as your must-haves at No. 30

Well, I think on those which I want later.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 08 Nov 2007 09:08:36
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  10:41:39  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, here's the deities that I *DO* consider to be Realms-Necessary. If I had to choose, these would be the "Realms Thirty"

Note, some of these are already confirmed dead

Charles' Dialed Down Realms Pantheon

1. Talos
2. Tyr
3. Torm
4. Lathander
5. Sune
6. Oghma
7. Ilmater
8. Cyric
9. Bane
10. Kelemvor
11. Myrkul
12. Shar
13. Talona
14. Set
15. Umberlee
16. Mystra
17. Helm
18. Tempus
19. Miekkli
20. Lolth
21. Loviatar
22. Moradin
23. Corellon
24. Garl
25. Yondalla
26. Gruumsh
27. Ubatao
28. Chauntaea
29. Tymora/Beshaba (made different facets of one deity as a "cheat")
30. Mask

You can be surprised at some of the choices I made to drop. Silvanus was a choice between Chauntaea as a nature deity plus him, the Elemental Gods added little in my view with the Red Wizards serving Kossuth the only interesting aspect to them, Myrkul I chose because he's better than Velsharoon yet could fulfill the "Evil Nerull" type of portfolio plus also Moanders, frankly I'm annoyed that so many spaces needed to be taken up by Greyhawk deities even if Lolth/Corellon are so intimately tied to thinks. If I could get Lolth, Moradin, Corellon, Garl, and Yondalla "back" then I'd add these.

1. Waukeen (A goddess of Trade is something PEOPLE WOULD ACTUALLY WORSHIP)
2. Malar
3. Eli (simply because she cuts down on "all the damned dark skinned evil people")
4. Azuth (redundant or not, he's a nice alternative)
5. Xvim (I bet that everyone will look at me weird for putting him here)

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  14:14:04  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a question, though - is 30 too many to subject a new player to? I am just asking opinion. I know core 3e has like 9 or 10 gods. I, personally, love having all the aspects and gods they do now, so it's a shame any have to be cut.

Actually, as long as Yeenoghu makes it through to 4e, it's ok. I'll always love his 1e Deities and Demigods picture. That is one happy flail-wielding Gnoll.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kheris
Seeker

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2007 :  15:40:27  Show Profile  Visit Kheris's Homepage Send Kheris a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's something else too... The designers did say that some of the deities would be getting bumped down to demi-power status. If I'm reading that correctly, we may not be losing "all but ~30" of the gods, there may be only 30 full deities and several demi-power servitors. That would make the racial pantheons break down akin to

<Greater Deity (1-2)>
|
<Minor Deities (X)>
|
<Demigods (Y)>

So the Elves may end up with (arranged randomly, just as an example):

Corellon
|
Sehenine, Labelas, Hanali
|
Solonor, Sashelas, Rilifane, Etc.

The Faerunian pantheon(s)/courts could be arranged similarly (again, kinda random, not saying who should be where )

Tyr, Tymora
|
Torm, Etc.
|
Hoar, Nobanion, Etc.

That allows for fewer "Gods" by saying "Yeah, well, you need only concern yourself with Zeus, but Iris is here too." It feels very synthetic, since I have trouble seeing how that would really change how I pick a patron. I'm sure there's a logic to it, but it escapes me. Of course, I could be totally off-base, and they may really be planning to wipe out a large swath of Deities.

Regardless, I don't like that fact that deities will be cut, since you could find a god for nearly anything until now. The idea of courts is a great one, though, since it allows you to know who your gods/faiths allies and rivals/enemies are (especially good for clerics and paladins in need of aid).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000