Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your OTHER favourite Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Kilsek
Acolyte

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  18:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Kilsek's Homepage Send Kilsek a Private Message  Reply with Quote
there can be only one fav, FR

Geeked on Dungeons and Dragons | Our new Minis Price guide | Geeked D&D Banner Exchange
Jiv'elgg lueth jiv'undus phuul jivvin. L'elamshin d'lil Ilythiiri zhah ulu har'luth jal.
Torture and pain are fun. The destiny of the Drow is to conquer all.
Go to Top of Page

Shottglazz
Acolyte

Canada
49 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:34:38  Show Profile Send Shottglazz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Ravenloft...loved, LOVED that setting in 2e...haven't run it in 3e yet...I used it extensively in other campaigns - I found it worked best as a strange area/side adventure/unexpected turn in the road rather than a home campaign world...

Others I enjoyed (in no particular order):

Greyhawk
Birthright
Dragonlance
Mystara

Never cared for Spelljammer, Maztica, Zakhara, Planescape, Al-Qadim, etc...

Non-D&D favs:

Rolemaster 2nd edition (definitely NOT RMSS) - great system
All Flesh Must Be Eaten
Vampire: The Masquerade (up to 2nd edition)
Twilight: 2000 (1st edition)
Car Wars
Shadowrun (again, up to 2nd edition)
Space Hulk

Played or ran a lot more systems/versions, but these are the only ones I'd endorse/play again...

Shottglazz

"Take my love, Take my land, Take me where I cannot stand;
I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2008 :  19:53:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kysus

I choose other for the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting. I found it really interesting in the way magic works as well as the whole steam technology is progressing. I think it causes players to show a bit more forsight in their dealings with the way magic and being raise from the dead work. Also i love the dragons in that setting, they are something to be feared in iron kindgoms no matter what level the party is, I have heard to many stories in my time of how parties have so easily wiped this or that dragon from the face of the planet and looted his hoard.

I just got into Warmachine, myself...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  00:54:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shottglazz

Space Hulk
Ah, yes Space Hulk. An intense game and a fascinating introduction to the world of Warhammer 40,000.
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've been thinking about doing that as well. Any particular army?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2008 :  04:17:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I've been thinking about doing that as well. Any particular army?

Cygnar.

Actually, that faction was picked for me... My friend Gino is a fiend for painting minis. Another friend, Mike, decided to get Gino some Warmachine minis for his birthday, because neither of us thought Gino had any of them. Mike then decided to get some for himself, and they both got me some as a wedding present (since most wedding presents are either for the couple or for the wife). Their gift ensured that all three of us could play, and we all gave it a shot for the first time a week or so ago. And since the Dice Gods only hate me when I play BattleTech*, I was rolling some decent numbers and rather enjoying myself (except for when I rolled snake-eyes two times in a row! ).

Cygnar is the most advanced nation, technologically and magically, so I decided they're the equivalent of the Davions. Mike was playing Menoth, so he's a Wobbly. And Gino was playing mercs, so I decided he was the Waco Rangers.

*I love playing BattleTech, but I have some of the crappiest luck imaginable when playing. It's not uncommon for me to be firing 5 weapons, needing a 7 or better to hit, and miss on all 5 shots. Rolling poorly so consistently takes a lot of the fun out of the game.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  20:50:54  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravenloft! There is no horror like there.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2009 :  23:53:11  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape is my favourite setting, more than Forgotten Realms really.
Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  07:29:17  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My other fav is Dark Sun, the ad&d grimlight setting.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2009 :  17:43:57  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
DSA - The Dark Eye is something I have played quite a lot. It is more medieval and not half as thrilling as the Realms, but is nevertheless well developed. Magic is less powerful and less frequent which makes it more mystical than in FR.

Other alternative settings are Planescape and the Titan setting from the Fighting Fantasy books (Steve Jackson & Ian Livingston).
I know little of those two settings but the little I know feels really interesting.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  08:21:49  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh oh!
Spelljammer is a cool idea too.

a Planescape/Spelljammer hybrid would be sweet.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2009 :  08:40:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MrHedgehog

a Planescape/Spelljammer hybrid would be sweet.
Indeed, it is.

Most of my PLANESCAPE campaigns come complete with plenty of SPELLJAMMER influences and source material that I've worked into my own personal cosmology. 'Tis a lot of fun!

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  10:06:53  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed.

My other favourite is Planescape.

Honorable mentions are Golarion, Dark Matter, Spelljammer, Oathbound, Eberron, then Mystara.

Go to Top of Page

MrHedgehog
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  10:14:34  Show Profile  Visit MrHedgehog's Homepage Send MrHedgehog a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't read very many Spelljammer books : ( I only have the old box set that I found in my basement (which I assume was my parent's or brother's at some point). Is there a lot of material for it?

I wish there had been more (or you know, good) novels for Dark Sun and Planescape.
I would love a Spelljammer novel.
Does anyone know a site that has stories written in these settings?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  10:42:05  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Both spelljammer.org and athas.org offer fan-derived fiction [of sorts] for their respective settings.

Go to Top of Page

Tyr
Learned Scribe

225 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2009 :  13:51:42  Show Profile  Visit Tyr's Homepage Send Tyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye, and I believe athas.org have just released their final 3.5e rulebook.
Go to Top of Page

Belorin
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  05:27:33  Show Profile  Visit Belorin's Homepage Send Belorin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spelljammer, with some Ravenloft for variety.

Bel

Unlike most Wizards Belorin did not start by studying under another Wizard, matter of fact he didn’t start out as a Wizard at all, but as a Warrior. Orin as he was called then had studied weapons under his father, Dorn Aldus, a blacksmith and former Captain in the King’s Army.
Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  12:20:35  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darksun has a special place for me, always been a sucker for psionics in D&D and Athas can be taken as a large part of the reason. Something about clobbering insect riding bandits with obsidian weapons just feels so cool too. The stone age subsistance level is a challenge in it self.

Partial to Birthright aswell, liked the stories and mechanics of the Abominations; corrupted monsters made by asurping the bloodlines of heroes in the past.

Non D&D... oh boy... so many good ones.

Cyberpunk 2020, especially the CorpWars series. Great gritty system...
Was interested in trying out StarDrive but never got to it. Partial to the new Dark Heresy Warhammer 40k RPG. Not tried it yet though.

Really love (first edition) WoD from White Wolf, especially Werewolf the Apocalyps and Mage the Ascension (played a Stargazer for 2 years and a Virtual Adept for some one shot adventures). My Dad(!) has had a longrunning Wraith campaign in which the death of my character was actually the kick off for the Atlanta based campaign

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  12:54:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bladewind

Was interested in trying out StarDrive but never got to it.
That's a shame. I consider Star*Drive to be among my top favourite sci-fi RPGs. Add to that, the fact that I'm mostly partial to Steven Schend's fantastic contributions to the setting, and it's easy to see why I'd consider it such a favourite. It's an intriguing campaign world that offers plenty of gaming opportunities in a futuristic setting.

If you're interested in learning more, I'd recommend this particular site:- http://alternityrpg.net/

Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  15:48:49  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Kingdoms of Kalamar - it's a very detailed world which clearly has had a lot of thought put into it. Ptolus comes a close second. It's also nicely detailed, and the book is superb.

I can't stand Planescape, mostly because I've had too many arguments about alignment with (fellow) players in the past, and they all loved Planescape.

Greyhawk never really appealed, the setting has always given me the impression of being cobbled together. I like a setting that feels real - no matter if it's high- or low-magic.

DragonLance - I enjoyed reading Chronicles and Legends, but after picking up the Campaign Setting I found the number of cataclysms off-putting.

Oops, I nearly forgot the Call of Cthulhu and Arcanis, both excellent games. Call of Cthulhu was my first role-playing experience, and it was great fun. Arcanis has some lovely ideas and I love the fact that the deities don't have alignment - a good touch.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Ken: You from the States?
Jimmy: Yeah. But don't hold it against me.
Ken: I'll try not to... Just try not to say anything too loud or crass.

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 27 Aug 2009 16:07:08
Go to Top of Page

Adam Rellewyn
Acolyte

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  15:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Adam Rellewyn's Homepage Send Adam Rellewyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always loved Ravenloft, but my players hated it. I mean HATED it, to the point that they refused to play in it anymore. They only wanted the regular dungeon crawl adventures, thus i got burned out, put my stuff up and never picked it up again.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  16:58:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kiaransalyn

Ptolus comes a close second. It's also nicely detailed, and the book is superb.

I liked Ptolus -- there's a lot of really good stuff in there. That said, the idea of doing every bit of adventuring in, under, and around one single city isn't one I can wrap my brain around. To me, the very idea of adventure includes going somewhere else.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  17:12:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I can't stand Planescape, mostly because I've had too many arguments about alignment with (fellow) players in the past, and they all loved Planescape.
So you're a Clueless?
quote:
DragonLance - I enjoyed reading Chronicles and Legends, but after picking up the Campaign Setting I found the number of cataclysms off-putting.
Well, there's only been two cataclysms...

Go to Top of Page

Bladewind
Master of Realmslore

Netherlands
1280 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2009 :  17:35:28  Show Profile Send Bladewind a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Alternity link mister Sage. Massive amounts of lore and mechanics

I was always very interested in playing with that advanced netscape they made for Star*Drive. Space exploration has always attracted me, being captian of a massive spaceship, having hand sized fusionguns, cybernetic gadgets, interesting starsystems, compelling races, this setting has it all.

My campaign sketches

Druidic Groves

Creature Feature: Giant Spiders
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  01:49:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's a few free PDFs floating around the web for Star*Drive as well. They're composed by some of the best fan-writers I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Truly noble successors to the original SD creative team.

If you've any problems finding them [since the BEST Star*Drive site -- tequilastarrise.net -- has been lost], let me know, and I'll provide you with some links.

Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  06:57:48  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st favourite w/a bullet is 2e combined w/certain parts of 3e FR.

2nd favourite is Planescape b/c like how another poster said, how it ties in w/FR.

3rd favourite is Star Wars.

For the fourth, I actually really liked the old Bard's Tale game for PC, that came out in the 80s! I liked it so much that I made Skara-Brae (the city in the game) a city in Impiltur, in my home campaign!

I also made Hogwarts from the Harry Potter series a magic school in the hills between the bridge and Scardale, along the Ashaba river in Sembia.
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  09:52:39  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I liked Ptolus -- there's a lot of really good stuff in there. That said, the idea of doing every bit of adventuring in, under, and around one single city isn't one I can wrap my brain around. To me, the very idea of adventure includes going somewhere else.

I agree, part of the adventure is travelling somewhere new and being confronted by something different. That said, if you were going to be grounded in a city Ptolus keeps you from getting bored. Part of the appeal for me was being used to the city setting anyway, with running so many games in Menzoberranzan. Of course, if your city is filled with pocket dimensions, a criminal underworld, an even more criminal ruling class and lots of caverns it's questionable if you are really based in a city any more.

I love the way the Ptolus book is laid out, with the city guide approach. You can open the book at a random place, follow the sidebar links and enjoy a pleasant paper chase.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Edited by - Kiaransalyn on 28 Aug 2009 10:03:54
Go to Top of Page

Kiaransalyn
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
762 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  10:03:02  Show Profile Send Kiaransalyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

So you're a Clueless?

You enjoyed saying that I can tell.

But you're right, this is me.

Just don't call me a berk or I'll be forced to say what it means in England.

quote:
quote:
Well, there's only been two cataclysms...

How many do you need? And some of the Dragon overlords are mini-cataclysms in their own right.

Death is Life
Love is Hate
Revenge is Forgiveness

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  15:40:40  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Nice to see I am not the only one.

quote:

Greyhawk never really appealed, the setting has always given me the impression of being cobbled together. I like a setting that feels real - no matter if it's high- or low-magic.

I like many of the Greyhawk products, but there is just something that makes it difficult for me to develop the setting. It just doesn't give me any inspiration, although I never understood why.

quote:

Well, if you keep to the AD&D days there was only one. The Realms, with the RSE have fared worse.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  16:20:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I, too, always thought Greyhawk felt cobbled together. It was like all these separate elements were deemed worthy of inclusion, but then tossed together with no thought of how they'd work together.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2009 :  16:48:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

How many do you need? And some of the Dragon overlords are mini-cataclysms in their own right.
No, no... that's kender.
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Well, if you keep to the AD&D days there was only one. The Realms, with the RSE have fared worse.
The 3e War of the Lance sourcebook offers some intriguing possibilities for campaigns which can be set on alternate interpretations of Krynn where history proceeded differently. Like no Cataclysms, for example.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000