Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your OTHER favourite Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2008 :  23:45:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robspieree

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Ah. I see. Well, so long as you're not a Cappie... Them folks are just weird.

Oh yes, Spent a lot of time beating up on them

Rob

Isn't that what they're there for?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Venger
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2008 :  00:00:03  Show Profile Send Venger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravenloft, easy. I put it right up there on an even keel with my love of the Realms. There's just something about that setting which I find immensely appealing. What I'd love to do, someday, is play a Ravenloft campaign in which the party runs through every single published Ravenloft adventure. That'd be relatively easy to do. Simply eliminate XP. Then convert the adventures to be appropriate for a specific level, and once the players run through all the adventures for a certain level, they then advance to the next level, and play through all of the adventures of that level (For example, you'd have Level 1 advenuters, Level 2 adventures, etc. The players run through every single Level 1 adventure. Once they're all done, they're advanced to 2nd-level, and then they begin the Level 2 adventures).

Other favorites of mine include Dark Sun and Birthright. Dark Sun for its Mad Max/apocalyptic feel, not to mention it's VERY different flavor from run-of-the-mill D&D, and Birthright, because it's like the quintessential medieval campaign setting mixed in with Highlander and Masters of the Universe. I REALLY wish WOTC would publish Dark Sun and Birthright, again. Even if they decide to publish a 320-page campaign setting and nothing else, so long as those books were well done, I'd be MORE then happy with that.

"Beware what you say when you speak of magic, wizard, or you shall see who has the greater power."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  07:25:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Venger

Ravenloft, easy. I put it right up there on an even keel with my love of the Realms. There's just something about that setting which I find immensely appealing. What I'd love to do, someday, is play a Ravenloft campaign in which the party runs through every single published Ravenloft adventure. That'd be relatively easy to do. Simply eliminate XP. Then convert the adventures to be appropriate for a specific level, and once the players run through all the adventures for a certain level, they then advance to the next level, and play through all of the adventures of that level (For example, you'd have Level 1 advenuters, Level 2 adventures, etc. The players run through every single Level 1 adventure. Once they're all done, they're advanced to 2nd-level, and then they begin the Level 2 adventures).

Other favorites of mine include Dark Sun and Birthright. Dark Sun for its Mad Max/apocalyptic feel, not to mention it's VERY different flavor from run-of-the-mill D&D, and Birthright, because it's like the quintessential medieval campaign setting mixed in with Highlander and Masters of the Universe. I REALLY wish WOTC would publish Dark Sun and Birthright, again. Even if they decide to publish a 320-page campaign setting and nothing else, so long as those books were well done, I'd be MORE then happy with that.

You can still get into Ravenloft in 3.5 and Birthright I think has a website for 3.5 called "birthright.net" or some such. The material is pretty good but suffers from a long drawn out process resulting from no one manager of the project directing it truly...as well as nobody getting paid.

I'd check those out if you like Birthright. I never got into Ravenloft, but I think it is supported too...just don't know where (for some reason Weis comes to mind?).

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  14:37:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
White Wolf was supporting it for a while... I believe that when the contract ended, WotC chose not to renew it, and the rights reverted back to them. If anyone else has obtained the rights, I missed it.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  14:50:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, the rights for RAVENLOFT are still pretty much in WotC's hands. The fact that they're printing a new series of novels based on "new domains" for the Dread Domains would seem to indicate that WotC at least has some limited interest in supporting the setting once again. What, if anything, will come after that, is where things get murky.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2008 :  21:54:47  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Realms is my favorite.

I've enjoyed Ptolus but haven't played it nearly as much as I'd like.. since me and one other person are the only ones that got it and he's not a very good DM.

I'm getting into Pathfinder by Paizo. It's really good thus far.. I'm just hoping it doesn't go south.

I've played Dragonlance, but I haven't enjoyed it nearly as much as reading about heroes from Chronicles.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Edain Shadowstar
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2008 :  14:20:59  Show Profile  Visit Edain Shadowstar's Homepage Send Edain Shadowstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
<Pokes his head up from behind a stack of books and sniffs the air.>

An opportunity to express my undying love of Planescape? On Candlekeep? Without getting brained by a Staff of Angry Moderation?

Sweet.

As for the why portion, I could reuse many old comments about the feel of the settings and its weirdness and the Lady being awesome, but really it comes down in large part to the fact that its has powerful philosophical overtones and I have long studied philosophy.

Of course, Greyhawk, Dragonlance, Ravenloft, et al., are close thirds.

Edain Shadowstar
Archwizard of Rel Astra and Waterdeep

"Mmm…pie…"
- Gaius Solarian, Captain General
Go to Top of Page

Akeri Rualuavain
Seeker

Canada
99 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2008 :  22:32:00  Show Profile  Visit Akeri Rualuavain's Homepage Send Akeri Rualuavain a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really love my friend's invented world. We had created our own Gods, and he create his world from our campain. He invented almost a new map for each nerw game setting and presently we have around 1000 years of history in that world. We play exclusivly in 2e edition. My favorit to my opinion.

My present character is a priestess of Élénaé, Godness of travel, protection and destiny. We where in a war against the god of magic. In that quest, Akeri wins as a friend and enachement a steal female dragon that follow her in battle and quest. She can even ride her.

Sorry for my bad English, I'm french born

The courage to follow our dreams is the first step to achieve our destiny

The tale of Eric and the Dread Gazebo
http://www.netfunny.com/rhf/jokes/98/Jul/gazebo.html
Go to Top of Page

Monsoon28
Acolyte

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  22:54:21  Show Profile  Visit Monsoon28's Homepage Send Monsoon28 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Battletech would be my next favourite setting, with Planescape a very close third. Oh there's always Star Wars.

'The only thing I know is that I know nothing' -Socrates
Go to Top of Page

Rhone Ethenkhar
Acolyte

Canada
31 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2008 :  23:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Rhone Ethenkhar's Homepage Send Rhone Ethenkhar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Greyhawk as my second favourite setting. Mainly due to the fact that i really like the balanced blend of fantasy and medieval Europe. I particularly liked the pantheon and the overall presentation of it (maps, the books, coats of arms etc).

Second choice was almost first: The Known World. The Gazetteers were awesome and so were the modules (by and large) that went along with it! Ah, Castle Amber....

" Unlike me, many of you have accepted the situation of your imprisonment, and will die here like rotten cabbages...I intend to discover who are the prisoners and who are the warders." -the Prisoner
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  00:07:14  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castlemourn

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:10:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon28

Battletech would be my next favourite setting, with Planescape a very close third. Oh there's always Star Wars.

Another BattleTech fan here at Candlekeep. Neat.

You're not a Davion fan are you?

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  01:57:16  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
house davion.....
they blow chunks, and i dont care who they are related too.......

I hear the call of the wolf myself...

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  03:03:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

house davion.....
they blow chunks, and i dont care who they are related too.......

I hear the call of the wolf myself...

Clan Wolf is cool, though I've shifted allegiance to Clan Coyote. But don't be dissing the FedSuns!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Jun 2008 03:04:23
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2008 :  03:07:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah! The roar of the Bear triumphs over all.

Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  17:45:45  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape, I'm surprised it won
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  00:01:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I intend to send my Realms players to the Hyborian Age as presented by Mongoose in the Conan Role Playing Game, and must give kudos to Vincent Darlage for some outstanding regional books. (The "____ of the Hyborian Age" books published for the game are, however, far too fluffy and over-padded to merit being a trilogy -- they could have easily been published in one volume, saving thousands of trees and the money of DMs.)

One of the most incredibly detailed settings is M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel, which has several game versions (including Empire of the Petal Throne). Barker has even written a two-volume primer of Tsolyani, the language of the Empire which is at the heart of the novels and game versions.

Less complex (and perhaps more playable for that reason), is Scarn, the world of the "Scarred Lands," published by Sword & Sorcery (i.e. White Wolf). There are about 20 volumes for the game, all marvelously plunderable for d20 gaming. For some reason, White Wolf has stopped publishing new volumes, but it is fairly easy to find the out-of-print books.

Call of Cthulhu is simply awesome, and I regularly plunder it, no matter what game setting or game system I'm using. There's a d20 version of it.

When I am not running FR, I like to run my own game world (home brewed one might say), which has its origins back in the 1960s.

I've played Vampire: the Masquerade before, but didn't really like it. Recently, however, I have begun exploring other aspects of White Wolf's "World of Darkness," and have liked what I have bought.

I've also just begun to discover Glorantha, which is covered by several games, principally RuneQuest and HeroQuest. I regret not having gotten "into" it thirty years ago. It looks ... kewl.

None of the above are, strictly speaking, "D&D," but they give an indication of how one does not need to be shackled to whatever Hasbro publishes.

Also not published by Hasbro were Spelljammer (yea!) and Mystara, the True World, the latter of which I have only just discovered, and I am very impressed with it.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 21 Jun 2008 00:14:04
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  01:52:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Less complex (and perhaps more playable for that reason), is Scarn, the world of the "Scarred Lands," published by Sword & Sorcery (i.e. White Wolf). There are about 20 volumes for the game, all marvelously plunderable for d20 gaming. For some reason, White Wolf has stopped publishing new volumes, but it is fairly easy to find the out-of-print books.
Scarred Lands was always one of the few 3e third-party campaign settings I quickly became interested in. Though, time and a severe shortage of gold pieces often prevented me from purchasing many of the earliest sourcebooks for the line. And by the time I did have a few extra gold to spare, there were already 10+ sourcebooks published for the setting. It would be too expensive to play catch-up now I'd imagine. Which is unfortunate, because I really do believe I would've had fun fashioning adventures in the lands of Scarn.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2008 :  14:28:25  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Golarion

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  04:32:38  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

Golarion

nice choice

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  10:04:44  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
None bar the FR or a few home-made sessions in a setting that comes very close or remains simply with the Core Rules.

Hence, like me, I assume, all "hardcore" Realmspace players are hit most by the current changes. When I have time, I'll have a look at Golarion ... since they have drow in there, even though my adventure/campaign proposal was not (yet) accepted by Paizo.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 22 Jun 2008 10:05:45
Go to Top of Page

Khaelieth
Learned Scribe

103 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  11:54:14  Show Profile  Visit Khaelieth's Homepage Send Khaelieth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravenloft=)

Also known on other forums as ChazSexington, Kusghuul, and Claudius.
Go to Top of Page

Victor_ograygor
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  10:03:41  Show Profile  Visit Victor_ograygor's Homepage Send Victor_ograygor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape

Whey.. Because I consider it a supplement to Forgotten realms

Victor Ograygor The Assassin and Candel keeps cellar master

Everything I need to know about life I learned from killing smart people.

Links related to Forgotten Realms
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9571

Adventuring / Mercenary Companies / Orders / The chosen from official sources
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11047

Priests in Forgotten Realms.
http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9609&whichpage=1
Go to Top of Page

Sylrae
Learned Scribe

Canada
313 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2008 :  20:19:22  Show Profile Send Sylrae a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Planescape.

Out of published settings it would be my second favorite.
1. FR
2. Planescape
3. Ravenloft
4. Spelljammer

Planescape is mysterious and twisted. I like it.
Ravenloft is sweet, but I can't generate the atmosphere for that setting at all.
and Spelljammer is kindof an over-the-top pirates in space crazy antics setting. It amuses me also.

Notice they all 'connect' to the realms.

All good.

I like to make my own setting too, but those take me massive amounts of time because I end up trying to flesh them out to at least 30% of whats in the FRCS before starting play...

Sylrae's Forgotten Realms Fan-Lore Index, with public commenting access to make for easier improvement (WIP)
Go to Top of Page

Pasta Fzoul
Seeker

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  03:53:55  Show Profile Send Pasta Fzoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Ravenloft is sweet, but I can't generate the atmosphere for that setting at all.

Try using a fog machine
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  05:49:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pasta Fzoul

quote:
Originally posted by Sylrae

Try using a fog machine

Best post this week!

Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  09:03:09  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Other, with the specific setting being TSR's Star*Drive. I am aware, however, that it's status as a fantasy setting is debatable, but in my opinion, the mystical powers of aliens and mindwalkers qualify it.

I also liked Planescape, but I never ran a campaign exclusively there that lasted more than a few months. I've had Realms characters visit Sigil and other places from time to time, though.

Of course, since I don't play D&D, my vote might be invalid.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  09:12:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another Star*Drive fan [aside from myself, Steven Schend, Thomas Reid, and Rich Baker of course] here at Candlekeep. Woot!

Go to Top of Page

Mean Eyed Cat
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2008 :  21:40:38  Show Profile  Visit Mean Eyed Cat's Homepage Send Mean Eyed Cat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While I love the Realms (and have already pre-ordered the 4th edition campaign setting), Pathfinder has really got my attention. I'm looking forward to the Pathfinder Campaign Setting that will be out at the end of this month.

Check out our FR Campaign:
http://mysite.verizon.net/restga8f/recountal/
Go to Top of Page

kysus
Learned Scribe

USA
110 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2008 :  06:43:52  Show Profile  Visit kysus's Homepage Send kysus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I choose other for the Iron Kingdoms campaign setting. I found it really interesting in the way magic works as well as the whole steam technology is progressing. I think it causes players to show a bit more forsight in their dealings with the way magic and being raise from the dead work. Also i love the dragons in that setting, they are something to be feared in iron kindgoms no matter what level the party is, I have heard to many stories in my time of how parties have so easily wiped this or that dragon from the face of the planet and looted his hoard.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000