Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your OTHER favourite Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:06:29  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Varl

Mystara, because it's got 15 incredibly detailed geographical accessories that define the world just as well as Toril has been.

there ya go

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:18:48  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iron Kingdoms is a breath of frsh air with a very well detailed history. Check it out if you want a change of pace.
Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  03:32:42  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
my other setting would be DragonLance for novels, but homebrew for games
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11809 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  21:20:16  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The alternate I enjoy is the Scarred Lands Setting put out by Sword & Sorcery. Story-wise its very interesting. Game balance wise, they need "some" help in their design (not bad, but there's a little less playtesting.... and currently released WotC material is about as bad). Still, if you use more balanced PrC from established WotC material you can duplicate most of the concepts.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

PaulBestwick
Seeker

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2007 :  22:46:54  Show Profile Send PaulBestwick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Kingdoms of Kalamar, the setting in which I GM. An hounourable mention needs to go to Glorantha, the homeworld of Runequest.
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 11 Oct 2007 :  00:08:39  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Old World of Darkness would have to be my second favorite campaign setting (and rules set for that matter).

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  04:27:22  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I got spoiled on Greyhawk way back when...so it would be my second choice. Playing Greyhawk in the RPGA was really nice too...but I didn't get a good group to play with in Virginia so I didn't enjoy it as much as I might. The group in charge of forming Geoff for the RPGA Living Greyhawk did an awesome job there...and I really liked the detail.

Third would be the Birthright setting because I loved having the ability to build kingdoms and such...only thing I didn't care for in Birthright though was the Gorgon's Crown. I like the Gorgon as a badguy...but his kingdom smelled too similar to Sauron's domain in Middle-Earth. Rhoubhe Manslayer was my favorite in that game though...I loved him as a badguy.

I once liked Dragonlance, but they too quickly killed everyone I liked...so I haven't even looked at the books they publish for it now.

I can't remember the world's name, but the one from "A Game of Thrones" was actually another of my favorite worlds...but they killed my man Stark in the first dang book!

Mystara is a really fun memory, my favorite character ever came from there (Dalor); but I quickly found other worlds that were more "realistic" to me as a kid...but I still look back fondly at the Alphatian Empire which was one of the funnest places EVER to adventure for me (using AD&D though).

I've played so many...but those are my favorites.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Charles Phipps
Master of Realmslore

1425 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  04:31:52  Show Profile  Visit Charles Phipps's Homepage Send Charles Phipps a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eberron.

It's the Anti-Realms. Thus, it works at what it does that FR can't do and vice versa.

My Blog: http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

IronHammer
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  05:18:59  Show Profile  Visit IronHammer's Homepage Send IronHammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always like dark Sun very well, spent a lot of time on Athas Then I also like Planescape and Ravenloft real well to

I remember playing Dwarves and Elves as a character class...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  06:22:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

I can't remember the world's name, but the one from "A Game of Thrones" was actually another of my favorite worlds...but they killed my man Stark in the first dang book!
You mean Westeros?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Lord of Bones
Seeker

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  09:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Lord of Bones's Homepage Send Lord of Bones a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape. There are few other settings where I find every book enjoyable to read.

Outside of D&D I would say World of Darkness, both old and new. I like the storyteller system and love the extensive background to Vampire, Werewolf et al.

Come watch the Gentleman's Guide to Gaming!
http://www.youtube.com/user/clackclickbang

On my channel I review and dissect role-playing games with great gusto. Please do take a look and let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  21:09:42  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I completely ignore everything but the War of the Lance and the Time of the Twins... DragonLance was always my favorite after FR. After that, the constant push to deconstruct and reconstruct the setting irritated the stuffins out of me.

DS was fun until I read the part where it was all the fault of halflings. Seriously? I'll admit, some of the backstory reveal was cool... such as the the dragon was some dude named "Borys - the Butcher of Dwarves." How cool is that?

Actually, the only thing I've consistently liked through all its incarnations has been FR. Everything else has managed to be overdone by getting too proud of itself and too much "oh, here's one more cool thing we want to shoehorn in."
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2007 :  22:28:55  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by dalor_darden

You mean Westeros?

Yeah! I think that was it indeed. I had the war-game/boardgame; but had to leave it when I moved from VA to WA state. I thought it was a pretty nice world...not so very sure about the magic of it...but I liked the feel.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  15:43:02  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Dark Sun was one of the best settings we had - and I loved to DMing there.

But even with the great homepage they have, I think the setting lost with the switch they made into 3e /3.5e.

If someone wants the link to the burned lands - just let me know

Go to Top of Page

IronHammer
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2007 :  17:40:53  Show Profile  Visit IronHammer's Homepage Send IronHammer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would if you dont mind I have tons of Dark Sun material from 2e and would love to start translating it over but havent got around to it yet.

I remember playing Dwarves and Elves as a character class...
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  18:28:36  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do not play other campaigns with pleasure..
but if i had to choose on this would be CONAN RPG which has (i believe ) many similarities with the Forgotten realms campaign

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

GRYPHON
Senior Scribe

USA
527 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2007 :  18:56:32  Show Profile Send GRYPHON a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ravenloft

'Everyone dies...I only choose the time and place for a few.' --Eric Destler
Go to Top of Page

Patrakis
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2007 :  04:30:01  Show Profile Send Patrakis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I must answer others and specify Harn. I don't think i've seen it above but this my favorite low fantasy setting and the ruleset is also very robust. Come to think of it...it's almost a tie with FR :)

Pat

Dancing is like standing still, but faster.
My site: http://www.patoumonde.com
Go to Top of Page

dwarvenranger
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2007 :  22:03:28  Show Profile  Visit dwarvenranger's Homepage Send dwarvenranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta be Planescape . With Greyhawk, Ravenloft and L5R close behind. But not as close as FR of course .
For non D&D it's RIFTS.

If I waited till I knew what I was doing, I'd never get anything done.

Go to Top of Page

DestroyYouAlot
Seeker

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  05:15:27  Show Profile Send DestroyYouAlot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Other: Garweeze Wurld.
Go to Top of Page

Nimriel
Seeker

Sweden
51 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2007 :  19:19:33  Show Profile  Visit Nimriel's Homepage Send Nimriel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape or Ravenloft, can't decide but a coin flip made me vote Planescape.
Go to Top of Page

Broken Helm
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  04:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Broken Helm's Homepage Send Broken Helm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Castlemourn. Mystara would be my runner-up, though I hate the "Hollow World" tacked-on series.
Go to Top of Page

slay_4_pay
Seeker

65 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2007 :  06:33:03  Show Profile  Visit slay_4_pay's Homepage Send slay_4_pay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I always loved the Dark Sun setting and used to GM a game in that setting. Something about that post apocalyptic type fantasy setting is just fun to me. It's like Forgotten Realms meets Mad Max or something. The only thing I don't like about Dark Sun is all the psionics. When every PC, and nearly every NPC and monster all have psionics it gets tiring to me.

Right now I am running a tweaked version of Gothic Earth. I always liked the Earth in the 1890's setting, but I've never been a big fan of Ravenloft. So, I just took out all of the Masque of The Red Death stuff and did away with the fear checks and such. It is still in the early stages (we've only had 4 or 5 games) but my players seem to be enjoying it, and I certainly am.
Go to Top of Page

Elestar
Acolyte

Hungary
27 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2007 :  20:08:19  Show Profile  Visit Elestar's Homepage Send Elestar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescpe, fist of all.

Spalljamming is also fun and I like the lightning rails and the rather interesting Undying Court of the elves of Aerlenal on the face of Eberron. (I find the architecture of Aerlenal odd however - sorry, I prefer Elaorman shaping :D)

Player characers' descriptions
are liked in my Profile

|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
#8194;H o u s e #8194; E l e s t a r#8195;
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||
Go to Top of Page

Robspieree
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  01:09:32  Show Profile Send Robspieree a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I liked BattleTech, WEG Star Wars and Cyberpunk 2020, FR was the only fantasy setting that I enjoyed.

Rob

Friends are the family we choose.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  01:36:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Robspieree

I liked BattleTech, WEG Star Wars and Cyberpunk 2020, FR was the only fantasy setting that I enjoyed.

Rob

BattleTech? What faction? And are you still into the setting?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Robspieree
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  01:39:54  Show Profile Send Robspieree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Rob

I played 2nd edition and was exclusively a Mercenary company. I ran an Assault Regiment

Rob

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  05:25:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Rob

I played 2nd edition and was exclusively a Mercenary company. I ran an Assault Regiment

Rob

Ah. I see. Well, so long as you're not a Cappie... Them folks are just weird.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2007 :  06:48:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Says the Clan Coyote fan!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 28 Dec 2007 06:48:53
Go to Top of Page

Robspieree
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2008 :  22:22:47  Show Profile Send Robspieree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah. I see. Well, so long as you're not a Cappie... Them folks are just weird.

Oh yes, Spent a lot of time beating up on them

Rob

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000