Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Your OTHER favourite Campaign Setting
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  12:31:41  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Since the question "Whats your favourite D&D campaign setting?" inside the e-Temple of FR would be a joke, i thought a poll about your SECOND favourite setting.

There are only 12 options due to system's restrictions so there is a good chance you wont find your 2nd favourite on the list.Remember there's always the "other" option

You can vote only one but feel free to mention other settings that you like/dislike in your reply.

Choices:

Dragonlance
Eberron
Greyhawk
Planescape
Dark Sun
Kingdom of Kalamar
Ravenloft
Birthright
Legend of the 5 Rings
Ptolus
Homebrew
Other (please specify)

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 30 Sep 2007 12:33:35

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  13:39:05  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Specifying: Castlemourn.

No surprises, gentlefolk.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  13:44:05  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Homebrew. Good old "Mudworld". I guess Birthright (or Greyhawk) is the closest relative on the list.

Other settings I've GMed quite a bit is the old V:tM setting (4-5 years I believe), the much loved Dark Matter (only a year) and some WEG Star Wars. I always wanted to run a Star Drive game, but never got around to it.
My first D&D world was Mystara, which I'd love to see back in print.

Edited by - Snotlord on 18 Oct 2007 21:29:45
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  14:48:48  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't possibly select just one. Since I've enjoyed practically every campaign setting ever published by TSR/WotC, it would be extremely difficult for me to focus on just one that I believe would deserve a place as "my other favorite campaign setting." Most of the campaign settings listed in the poll [excluding KoK and Lot5R, as I've never had much time for them] have some special elements unique to each of them that I've found interesting. To ignore the rest and label just one as my "other favorite," would simply not be fair to all the others. As it is, I'd say that ALL of them would probably deserve to occupy the position of "my other favorite."

Honourable mentions for those not listed would go to...

- Star*Drive -- Mostly because of Steven Schend's work.
- Spelljammer.
- Star Frontiers -- Yes, I'm old enough to remember this one.
- [old] Gamma World.
- Midnight -- One of the few gems of the third-party d20 system license that's survived particularly well.
- a/state -- There's not been much in the way of support for this particular setting, but I've found its premise rather intriguing.
- Etherscope -- Reminds me a little of Planescape, with a dash of Spelljammer and just a hint of Ravenloft.
- Star Wars RPG.
- Discworld GURPS -- Practically anything Pratchett is enough to ensure my attention.
- Castlemourn -- It's from Ed -- Nuff said!
- MechWarrior -- The older editions mostly. I don't have much experience with the new edition.
- Iron Kingdoms -- One of the few d20 mecha/tech/magic settings published that handles the concept of giant armored battlesuits in fantasy particularly well.
- Traveller.
- Vampire: The Masquerade and Mage: The Ascension.
- And probably many others that I've completely forgotten!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Sep 2007 15:07:11
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  15:19:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape is my second favorite... with L5R very close.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  15:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like Midnight, Dawnforge and Castlemourn but voted for Greyhawk simply because I think my next campaign will be there (once we finish our FR campaign).

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  15:57:23  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Known World/Mystara, great, diverse gaming products, especially adventures. The "throw everything in" principle worked far better here than in the early Realms.

Ereb Altor (Drakar och Demoner) great products, but it never came together properly as a world.

Zakhara would have the best box sets with great reading value.

Dragonlance, a great world, that I never felt comfortable in DM'ing and that lost its charm when they started pushing ahead with the timeline.

GURPS Conan and Horseclans should also be mentioned.

Spelljammer, just fun, but a little to hit and miss qualitywise.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  16:07:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Spelljammer was my first love among D&D settings.

I also have an interest in the Dark Matter setting.

I would also be interested in playing Star Wars.

Among non-D&D settings, I loved Werewolf: the Apocalypse, though I never got to play. I had actually created several characters for that, but we never seemed to get our proposed campaign started... I created a Glass Walker Ragabash, a Khan Bastet, Mokole, and a kinfolk cat burglar for the Project Twilight subsetting. Dots and d10s seemed a good game system, I must say.

I also have an RPG that I've never even heard anyone else mention... But I about fell over laughing when I got the rulebook, so I'd love to try it. It's an older game called Teenagers from Outer Space. It is, of course, based on playing anime teenagers.

Oddly, though I had (and will replace) a lot of the sourcebooks, I never had any interest in the Mechwarrior RPG. I got the books because I loved the setting, but I never had any real interest in actually playing a character in that setting (notes to other BTech fans: I hate the idea of the Jihad, and my fave factions are the FedSuns, Clan Coyote, and Clan Wolf).

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  16:10:35  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Without question Spelljammer

My backup choice would have been Oathbound by Bastion Press

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Aravine
Senior Scribe

USA
608 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  16:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Aravine's Homepage Send Aravine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Spelljammer was my first love among D&D settings.

I also have an interest in the Dark Matter setting.

I would also be interested in playing Star Wars.

Among non-D&D settings, I loved Werewolf: the Apocalypse, though I never got to play. I had actually created several characters for that, but we never seemed to get our proposed campaign started... I created a Glass Walker Ragabash, a Khan Bastet, Mokole, and a kinfolk cat burglar for the Project Twilight subsetting. Dots and d10s seemed a good game system, I must say.

I also have an RPG that I've never even heard anyone else mention... But I about fell over laughing when I got the rulebook, so I'd love to try it. It's an older game called Teenagers from Outer Space. It is, of course, based on playing anime teenagers.

Oddly, though I had (and will replace) a lot of the sourcebooks, I never had any interest in the Mechwarrior RPG. I got the books because I loved the setting, but I never had any real interest in actually playing a character in that setting (notes to other BTech fans: I hate the idea of the Jihad, and my fave factions are the FedSuns, Clan Coyote, and Clan Wolf).

i've played star wars RPG. it was alright but they superoverpowered the Jedi. to be expected i know. but they make it where there is no real point in playing any other class

The brave don't live forever,the cautious don't live at all
Go to Top of Page

realcrowjoe
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  18:23:40  Show Profile  Visit realcrowjoe's Homepage Send realcrowjoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
O man so many.
In D&D its planescape, and ravenloft but many others over the years that i've truely enjoyed. Spelljammer, darksun come quickly to mind.
Non D&D would be pallium fantasy, and rifts. Again with huge list of others, Paranoia, just because of the flat out encouraged cheating that was involved. Shadowrun, battletech, were always guaranteed fun.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4687 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  18:57:14  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Known World (before it got converted to AD&D)

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  19:24:02  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Iron Kingdoms was already mentioned, and I really enjoy it's take on things. BTW, am I the only one who has noticed the almost criminal copying of that setting by Eberron? I could go on and list all of the similarities for several pages (and have done so on other forums), but this is neither the time or place.

I don't think anyone has mentioned Swashbuckling Adventures, and it's non-D20 pre-cursor 7th Sea, which is an excellent setting for a pirate-style campaign. The RW analogies are abundant though, so avoid it if you don't care for that sort of thing.

Personally, I'd be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. There is something about every setting I like, and since I borrow from them all for my game, they all hold their own place in my heart.

Why hell, even Warcraft D20 has some good stuff.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 30 Sep 2007 19:25:43
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2007 :  19:26:27  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dragonlance was my second love. Throughout most of my 2nd edition DMing career, I alternated between Forgotten Realms campaigns and Dragonlance campaigns. However, I have to give honorable mention to Spelljammer, though most of my "Spelljammer" campaigns were mini campaigns within a larger Forgotten Realms or Dragonlance campaign. Of course this was 2nd edition, where you could spend 2 or 3 levels exploring Wildspace and that amounted to dozens of adventures.

I loved Dark Sun as well, and the Prism Pentad, but I never really got to run it much.

Go to Top of Page

Pharaun Mizzrym
Acolyte

Canada
34 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  01:05:11  Show Profile  Visit Pharaun Mizzrym's Homepage Send Pharaun Mizzrym a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grewhawk just because it was the original
Go to Top of Page

Ugly is the new black
Seeker

Australia
81 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  10:20:48  Show Profile  Visit Ugly is the new black's Homepage Send Ugly is the new black a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Other: Iron Heroes, although I was really torn between that and LO5R.

love,
nathan.

As he knelt on the ground with his brothers around and the taste of his blood on his tongue,
His brothers knelt by him and prayed him a prayer, and he smiled and he laughed and he sung,
"Brothers, oh brothers, my days here are done, the Dornishman's taken my life,
But what does it matter? For all men must die, and I've tasted the Dornishman's wife!"
Go to Top of Page

sirreus
Learned Scribe

USA
118 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  17:27:41  Show Profile  Visit sirreus's Homepage Send sirreus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i'm sorry are trying to tell me there are other settings out there?

"The measure of an undisciplined mind, is that the intellect allows emotion to challenge the observed truth" Richard Baker
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  18:00:06  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dark Sun was very different and the few times I played there it was fun and challenging.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2007 :  18:09:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pharaun Mizzrym

Grewhawk just because it was the original

It was the first published setting, but not the first D&D setting. Blackmoor holds that honor.

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  01:46:02  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
where's Mystara?

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36798 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  03:14:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I recalled another setting I had interest in: Dragonstar. It was a nifty idea, though certain aspects of the execution didn't work for me. And dang it all, but I had just completed my collection of all of that material, too!

Go to Top of Page

Marquant Volker
Learned Scribe

Greece
273 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  03:26:27  Show Profile Send Marquant Volker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MerrikCale

where's Mystara?

As i stated above not all settings can exist on the poll form. You can use the "Other" option if you like.

Edited by - Marquant Volker on 02 Oct 2007 03:29:07
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31727 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  04:06:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I recalled another setting I had interest in: Dragonstar. It was a nifty idea, though certain aspects of the execution didn't work for me. And dang it all, but I had just completed my collection of all of that material, too!
Oooh! I'd forgotten Dragonstar as well. Good call.

I'll also add the Serenity RPG. There hasn't been much support, but I've loved having the opportunity to set adventures in the "Firefly" universe.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  04:52:57  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Oooh! I'd forgotten Dragonstar as well. Good call.

I'll also add the Serenity RPG. There hasn't been much support, but I've loved having the opportunity to set adventures in the "Firefly" universe.

Dragonstar has some pretty nice concepts in it, and a fairly well laidout setting.
Have played in a campaign for it a few times.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Darkmeer
Senior Scribe

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  04:55:59  Show Profile  Visit Darkmeer's Homepage Send Darkmeer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lessee,

Firstly, I voted Planescape. Shows what I love about the game (no more grumbling, honest).

Now, as to what I'd play or GM/DM:

War of the Lance or slightly thereafter Dragonlance, Dark Sun, Greyhawk (pre or post Greyhawk wars or Vecna's rise), Ravenloft (gotta love me some Soth-ruled Sithicus), Iron Kingdoms, DragonStar, Earthdawn, Shadowrun, Old or New World of Darkness (gotta love Gurahl), WEG Star Wars, Star Wars d20, Scarred Lands, and Spycraft (anything powered by this system would be fine).

I haven't played, but would like to play in Pathfinder, Ptolus, Rokugan d20, L5R, Oriental Adventures (Kara-Tur) (played once), Kingdoms of Kalamar, Birthright, Spelljammer, and a real Arcanis game set in Freeport. I would consider playing an Eberron game, but I definitely want to read more about the setting. There are certainly elements I could certainly use in any D&D game (Action dice... lots and lots of them, and ways to get lots of them).

/d

"These people are my family, not just friends, and if you want to get to them you gotta go through ME."

Edited by - Darkmeer on 02 Oct 2007 04:58:34
Go to Top of Page

Varl
Learned Scribe

USA
284 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  06:33:30  Show Profile Send Varl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystara, because it's got 15 incredibly detailed geographical accessories that define the world just as well as Toril has been.

I'm on a permanent vacation to the soul. -Tash Sultana
Go to Top of Page

Halidan
Senior Scribe

USA
470 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  16:01:12  Show Profile  Visit Halidan's Homepage Send Halidan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted other. I have two favorites to mention. The first is the Known World/Mystra. Like Jorkins, I loved the throw everything into the pot and toss liberaly attitude that the designers took with the setting. I also really enjoyed the aspect of the setting that allowed players to become dieties. I have several low level gods in my Mystara game that were once PC's.

My other favorite setting may be one that not many of you have heard of - it's Empire of the Petal Throne by MAR Barker. It was published originaly by TSR, and has gone through about six other incarnations (including a d20 book).

I got introduced to the setting by TSR's David Southerland III and played in his home campaign back in the late 1970's. It's a well defined setting, with lots background on the human and non-human cultures. Many of the monsters have a sub-continentail Indian or Far-Eastern apperance about them. It's a great world for serious roleplaying, politics and intrigue.

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied,
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allen Poe - 1849

Edited by - Halidan on 02 Oct 2007 16:12:20
Go to Top of Page

freyar
Learned Scribe

Canada
220 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  16:29:00  Show Profile  Visit freyar's Homepage Send freyar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Planescape for me, though I've not run or played anything there. I think Greyhawk or the new Paizo world (Golarion) will be the next setting I use besides FR (unless I get my players high-level enough for the planes!), though, just because of material.

My DnD Links and Creations
Go to Top of Page

Haman
Seeker

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2007 :  19:30:41  Show Profile  Visit Haman's Homepage Send Haman a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mine is Earthdawn, from FASA.

99% of my time and resources are all in the Realms though, heh.

Some people say we gamers have no lives....I think we have too many.
Go to Top of Page

Warrax
Learned Scribe

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  00:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Warrax's Homepage Send Warrax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let's see... the World of Darkness (Mage: the Ascension, Vampire: the Masquerade, Werewolf: the Apocalypse, Mummy: the Resurrection, Demon: the Fallen), I'm a big fan of Greyhawk and Ravenloft... Eberron's alright.

I am growing to enjoy Castlemourn quite a bit and I love Aglirta.

EDIT - How I forgot Planescape is a question for the ages, but here it is.

Edited by - Warrax on 03 Oct 2007 00:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2007 :  01:42:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Greyhawk--I'm very taken with the style of that setting. But not other setting even comes CLOSE to having my love the way the Realms does.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000